Skullgirls need support!

TaxExemptionTaxExemption Joined: Posts: 18
In order for Skullgirls to thrive, the community at large needs to let to publisher know that there is a thriving community willing to support it. By joining this group, you are effectively letting Autumn know that this is a game that deserves to flourish! Send it around and give this game a second wind!
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/374026316016100/
iPetition:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/skullgirls-needs-funding

Comments

• SludgepuppySludgepuppy Z-snap Joined: Posts: 56
    Asked people with actual influence to retweet it. Gonna get as many peeps as I can to sign off on this thing.
  • TaxExemptionTaxExemption Joined: Posts: 18
    Awesome to hear, if you hear back from any of them I'd love to know and update the facebook if we get support from some big names within the community.
  • DiscoSharkDiscoShark Joined: Posts: 257
    We should probably bring that goal down to like a thousand ...
    PSN : DiscoShark
    KOF : Kula-Mr.Karate-Andy
    Skullgirls : Filia-Peacock-Double
    Its less about the goal and more just getting as many as we can, ill bring it down to 1,000 though.
  • mcpeanutsmcpeanuts Joined: Posts: 287
    I'm not really clear on what this petition is for. What are you trying to accomplish with this? Is it that you want the game to be featured at tournaments, or for DLC for the game, or what? I can't sign this without more information.
    I'm not really clear on what this petition is for. What are you trying to accomplish with this? Is it that you want the game to be featured at tournaments, or for DLC for the game, or what? I can't sign this without more information.
    Mike mentioned on the Salty Cupcakes stream last night that the thing fundamentally holding back Skullgirls' future development isn't the money to initiate the projects more so than Autumn or parties affiliated with them feeling like there wouldnt be enough people out there either wanting it or willing to pay for it. This petition is to show that the support for Skullgirls amongst the community is still very much alive and waiting.
  • Santa-Faced KillahSanta-Faced Killah Hidin' Under Your Beds, Haters! Joined: Posts: 33
    Which would be the most effective medium to show Autumn Games that this game should/will have a sufficient, if not already strong, fan following? I, admittedly, only have the trial version but plan to unlock the game when the patch is released... if not much sooner. This may sound like I'm contradicting myself, but allow me to provide reasoning: it is precisely Autumn Games's hesitation to promote this game that makes me hesitant to invest. Should they decide to buckle down already and back this gem, I wouldn't be so wary of being let down because they decided to waste the loads of potential on possible future works for this. I state this attribution because I may not be the only one who feels this way, and Autumn games should understand that. If you want the masses to invest in your product and generate revenue, you better damn well act like it's the Miss Fortune's meow! ;P
  • PartialartistPartialartist Joined: Posts: 176
    The petition is to let the publisher know that there's still support for the game and people that want to play and get more content. They apparently feel like there isn't a player base large enough to make up the cost of producing new stuff. The problem is that the game needs that stuff to attract new players. Tons of people are waiting on the PC version. Everyone wants more characters. People in charge need to be convinced to make at least one addition, to get the ball rolling.

Honestly, I don't think the petition will do much to help. It all depends on how many pick up the game after the patch and what we do to support and promote the game. Getting the dlc, uploading videos, writing informative material, plus starting and maintaining local scenes will help the most. If there isn't a station at BB or UGS, I'll host sessions.

It's a shame that a game that does so many things right has had such a string of bad luck, as well as the lack of support from all sides. This may be the last chance we get to make sure the game isn't doomed to obscurity.
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PSN: TheIdiomatic
    Mike stated that a petition would be one of the better ways to get autumn's attention. The goal is to get the petition large and active enough to prove to autumn that the game is a worthwhile investment. I originally had named the petition "Skullgirls needs funding" however Mike swiftly corrected me and said it wasn't funding but community support and vocalism that are the problems. As such, I've been trying to assemble people who love the game under one banner saying they will support the game from now until always. I've met a lot of people online who say "Such a good game, what a shame its had such bad luck, i cant wait for more characters, etc..." but all these statements are isolated and spread out through forum posts and stream chats. I'm hoping to basically gather all of those people for Autumn's attention.
    Is there any chance we could get this petition a story on Shoryuken front page? I'd imagine this isn't really news so I'm guessing not and I don't want to get RPG fired for constantly pushing Skullgirls stories.
  • tilopud_ryetilopud_rye Joined: Posts: 147
    Damn- well let's support the game however we can because it's not just a good fighting game, but awesome characters and franchise. Keep passing this on cause at least it's something, but hope isn't lost, as there's that mystery announcement from Ravid upcoming...
  • Santa-Faced KillahSanta-Faced Killah Hidin' Under Your Beds, Haters! Joined: Posts: 33
    Mike stated that a petition would be one of the better ways to get autumn's attention. The goal is to get the petition large and active enough to prove to autumn that the game is a worthwhile investment. I originally had named the petition "Skullgirls needs funding" however Mike swiftly corrected me and said it wasn't funding but community support and vocalism that are the problems. As such, I've been trying to assemble people who love the game under one banner saying they will support the game from now until always. I've met a lot of people online who say "Such a good game, what a shame its had such bad luck, i cant wait for more characters, etc..." but all these statements are isolated and spread out through forum posts and stream chats. I'm hoping to basically gather all of those people for Autumn's attention.

I'm ending my "abstaining" position tonight and purchasing the full game! I've decided to follow my own statement, and provide support to this game and just hope that Autumn Games catches onto the motion. This is one of those games that not only is designed amazingly well and executes with the best of them [high-tier games], but the amount of fan-service and easter eggs is just remarkable. True fan-service games (that are also high-quality) are relatively rare, with the only other game i can think of at this time is Scot Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game.
  • ZidianeZidiane HyperCharging YOLO STAR Joined: Posts: 1,220
    This... needs to be put up on the front page after the patch comes out. Before, and I don't think it'll catch as much attention, and too many people will go "So I won't see the patch unless I sign this?". The patch will let people know that the game ISN'T in permanent limbo, and that it is making progress. Then, after that, post this petition with this (if it's true, Mike please say something).
    a petition would be one of the better ways to get autumn's attention. The goal is to get the petition large and active enough to prove to autumn that the game is a worthwhile investment. I originally had named the petition "Skullgirls needs funding" however Mike swiftly corrected me and said it wasn't funding but community support and vocalism that are the problems.
    I know we can break 1000 on this piece. Everyone doesn't even have to fuck with the game right now, they just have to say "I'm interested in this, keep going!" If MML3, a 10 year waiting sequel (That aparently wasn't that popular when it came out) can reach 100,000, we can break 1,000. Let the big names know right away, let the patch come out, and then front page this.

This is the internets fault. The god damned internet, so fricking negative on anything they don't like... back before this stupid internet, this game would have came out, been a slam dunk in arcades, and would right now be on at least SG4 right now. Mike's name would become "King Z", he would talk in his Russian accent 24/7, and we'd probably have people seriously talking about "Skullgirls vs." games. Where's my Time Machine...
    xbl/psn: Zidiane/zidiane5
    Skullgirls: Cerebella, SSB Melee: Kirby, Samus
    Ever wonder how to play Cerebella, of Skullgirls fame? Here's a guide I made!
  • Uncivilized ElkUncivilized Elk Joined: Posts: 713
    back before this stupid internet, this game would have came out, been a slam dunk in arcades,
    If you can send a product refined through historical contingency back in time of course it's going to be good...
    PSN: Uncivilized_Elk
    You know what I mean. Even if it didn't build off of previous shit, the characters and story, even if it just bit off SFII or Tekken like everyone else did at the time, this game would be awesome.

But if it wasn't for the internet, even competing with current games, this game wouldn't be doubted by Autumn if it wasn't for the negativity of the internet.
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    Is there any chance we could get this petition a story on Shoryuken front page? I'd imagine this isn't really news so I'm guessing not and I don't want to get RPG fired for constantly pushing Skullgirls stories.
    d3v?
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    signed/joined just hope this doesn't mean that the PC port is in jeopardy of not happening. Been waiting and waiting :(
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    Skullgirls are getting too fat for their bras! They don't need support, they need exercise!
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ

But if it wasn't for the internet, even competing with current games, this game wouldn't be doubted by Autumn if it wasn't for the negativity of the internet.
    I really don't think that's a compelling argument.
    The internet just serves to fester whatever already exists, whether it be positive or negative.

Also, personally, if this game didn't build off the mechanics of all the games Mike Z has played and enjoyed over the years, I would never touch it. It's the gameplay that makes this game for me. And SFII and Tekken had so so many biters; I don't see how SG could possibly be welcomed with open arms if it was just another costume swap to add to the pile of crap being shoved out back then.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Smashing Fighter Joined: Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭
    This... needs to be put up on the front page after the patch comes out. Before, and I don't think it'll catch as much attention, and too many people will go "So I won't see the patch unless I sign this?". The patch will let people know that the game ISN'T in permanent limbo, and that it is making progress. Then, after that, post this petition with this (if it's true, Mike please say something).

I know we can break 1000 on this piece. Everyone doesn't even have to fuck with the game right now, they just have to say "I'm interested in this, keep going!" If MML3, a 10 year waiting sequel (That aparently wasn't that popular when it came out) can reach 100,000, we can break 1,000. Let the big names know right away, let the patch come out, and then front page this.

This is the internets fault. The god damned internet, so fricking negative on anything they don't like... back before this stupid internet, this game would have came out, been a slam dunk in arcades, and would right now be on at least SG4 right now. Mike's name would become "King Z", he would talk in his Russian accent 24/7, and we'd probably have people seriously talking about "Skullgirls vs." games. Where's my Time Machine...

You're out of your mind, Skullgirls would look and feel entirely different in the 90's not to mention the gameplay only exists because Mike Z played the old games at the time.
    I really don't think that's a compelling argument.
    The internet just serves to fester whatever already exists, whether it be positive or negative.
    Was going to argue until I read this.
    You're out of your mind.
    I then realized that my brain is different from normal brain, and my train of thought may sometimes appear insane (regardless of if I'm insane or not).

All I know is that, even without the game mechanics, this game makes a pretty interesting story and the art style is appealing to me. And I also know that every time I see a game company make a decision now, they are always tiptoeing around topics that have made people rage on the internet (whether or not the rage was deserved). I do see them clamor towards what people like, but whatever happened to companies pushing forward or falling back based on Performance?

The fact that Mike said that Autumn doesn't have a money problem (which most likely means it made more than enough to provide more content), and that they instead are unsure if people still want to play this game means that the negative views they hear on "The Fastest Means of Information Travel to Ever Exist on Earth" made them unsure. It's not like the game got negative reviews, or bad sales numbers, or isn't the third most discussed game on SRK (after UMVC3 and SSF4AE). The only thing that could hold something like that back is controversy, and the only controversial thing the game has done is have a full female cast (which isn't going to last very long with timely content support); two of the females are more provocative than "normal" (Which has never stopped gamers before...), but probably balances out with the four grotesque females, three of them having to deal with amputated body parts and/or self mutilation, and the fourth being Double.

Fan support is important, and you should treat your fans right (Like SG is trying to do), but it's stupid that after everything, the clamoring of people who DON'T play the game (or played it to find a legit reason to complain about (I know people like that)) are the ones that could potentially ruin it.

Hmmm... I said I wouldn't argue, but I did anyway... well, this is more like an opinion, or me defending my opinion, as I'm not addressing anyone, right?
    Yeah, you're nuts buddy.
    You are being unnecessarily rude. Let me cut out the fluff, and try one more once.
    this game makes a pretty interesting story and the art style is appealing to me.
    Opinion. But do you disagree?
    every time I see a game company make a decision now, they are always tiptoeing around topics that have made people rage on the internet (whether or not the rage was deserved).
    Also opinion, but what would you call Capcom and other fighting game companies treating on-disc DLC and paid characters? With Tekken and DoA, recent series continuations, they almost blatantly say "we aren't doing that shit capcom did".
    It's not like the game got negative reviews, or bad sales numbers, or isn't the third most discussed game on SRK (after UMVC3 and SSF4AE).
    Facts.

Which part of my assertions are bullshit?

Edit: I make assumptions based on how I feel, yes, but they are based off of those facts and interpretations of events and content. I don't see the problem.
    You are being unnecessarily rude. Let me cut out the fluff, and try one more once.

Opinion. But do you disagree?

Also opinion, but what would you call Capcom and other fighting game companies treating on-disc DLC and paid characters? With Tekken and DoA, recent series continuations, they almost blatantly say "we aren't doing that shit capcom did".

Facts.

Which part of my assertions are bullshit?

Edit: I make assumptions based on how I feel, yes, but they are based off of those facts and interpretations of events and content. I don't see the problem.

Dude, I was only referring back to how you blatantly ignored my arguments why this game couldn't exist in the 90's.

Also, on disc DLC doesn't bother me nor should it bother anyone with a functioning brain. Planned DLC is just the way it works nowadays and I'd rather it not be a huge download.
    Dude, I was only referring back to how you blatantly ignored my arguments why this game couldn't exist in the 90's.

Also, on disc DLC doesn't bother me nor should it bother anyone with a functioning brain. Planned DLC is just the way it works nowadays and I'd rather it not be a huge download.
    I didn't ignore them, I conceded I was wrong and changed to a less "if this was that" opinion... wait, did I say out loud that I conceded? If I didn't, I thought it, but I'm sorry for the confusion.

Not that OD-DLC should bother anyone, but it does. And the companies hear it.
  • AyxAyx abusing EX upkicks Joined: Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Does anyone else think that the short roster for a team-based game hurt it a little bit? I mean it's all opinions, and maybe Capcom could've got away with it back in the days but their rosters were always packed for the type of game it was, but the roster for the character select screen looks extremely unappealing.

I enjoy the game but the roster just feels very similar, maybe the mechanics need to be explained better for such a short cast. Maybe an online stradegy guide type thing? The anime fighter market is pretty much dominated by Arc and that's not saying much. The game needed something to bring itself out, I think the extra speed definitely should've been considered from the beginning since BlazBlue feels like the SF4 of anime games in terms of speed.
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Majority rules at the end of the day. SG could be the best game ever, but if majority wont play it then it dies. Sad but true, it's not the negative views killing the game, it's the mass of people not playing it. Game could have nothing but positive feedback but if people aren't playing it would have the same problem.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
    Small? Yeeaah. Similar? Noooo. But stuff like roster size is why this petition even exists. Shows people are actually amped for it and are willing to buy it when it drops.
    Thank you all for supporting, the petition has reached its first 100! Keep spreading this to others around and we should reach 1000 in no time at all! Long live Skullgirls!
    Does anyone else think that the short roster for a team-based game hurt it a little bit? I mean it's all opinions, and maybe Capcom could've got away with it back in the days but their rosters were always packed for the type of game it was, but the roster for the character select screen looks extremely unappealing.

Agree to disagree, the small roster was never a huge factor for me and, for 15 dollars, I think I got my moneys worth.
    I enjoy the game but the roster just feels very similar, maybe the mechanics need to be explained better for such a short cast.
    Very similar ... ?
    Maybe an online stradegy guide type thing?

You mean like this?
    http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls
    The anime fighter market is pretty much dominated by Arc and that's not saying much. The game needed something to bring itself out, I think the extra speed definitely should've been considered from the beginning since BlazBlue feels like the SF4 of anime games in terms of speed.

You think the extra speed should've been considered since BlazBlue feels like SF4 ... ? Disregarding the fact that BB and SF4 do not feel analogous to each other in the slightest what does this have to do with Skullgirls?
  • ataconaziataconazi Joined: Posts: 579
    Don't care about roster there's enough for it to be interesting. Reason it died is because we played the patch in june and have been given an ever increasing case of blueballs by information and videos about the patch but no patch. lesson here is don't even mention a patch until its been aproved and is about to be released. KILLED the hype
    gt: Jailhouse
    skullgirlsssss: parasoul/double
    marvel 3 is horrid
    This game has a very polarizing art style. Really, that's responsible for a significant portion of the "hate". Some people bought it and decided the art style still bothered them, if you read some user reviews here and there.
    If this was a game that was supposed to appeal to quite literally everyone in the fighting game community, a polarizing looks is probably not the way to go.

Also, something can be loved and have nearly unanimous praise and still not sell. Look at Platinum Games. Anybody who buys their games is pretty much in love with the company, myself included. Yet they still sell like garbage (Rising may be an exception). All the way back to (not-yet Platinum back then) Okami, which received nothing but glory, but still sold like shovelware.
    Agree to disagree, the small roster was never a huge factor for me and, for 15 dollars, I think I got my moneys worth.
    As a fighting game enthusiast such as ourselves (well, a good portion who are willing to expand their horizons.) I had no problem buying the game day one to support Autumn, I also didn't care much for the roster since the only character I liked playing was Ms. Fortune anyways. What I'm coming to is that the way the character select screen is designed, the casual market consumer can think that there is something missing here. If you see, there's tons of blank squares with those same squares representing the character slots for the current cast.

From a casual player perspective, it's already easy to be somewhat underwhelemed with such a small cast (Which obviously can be understood, it's not like any fresh IP non crossover game had a huge roster to begin with.) which is competing with games that have more entries and revision than I probably have boxers in my drawers, meaning they have a much larger and diverse roster. It doesn't HAVE to be a huge factor for you, we're beyond the casual market.

Very similar ... ?

The fact that Double completely borrows moves from the cast is understandable, maybe it's because the characters feel very cookie cutter (except for Valentine, I think the way that she has to set up vial traps is interesting.) they don't really say "Wow, Ms. Fortune and Filia/Parasoul are SO different I'm going to have to learn everything to make sure it goes my way." because their pretty much the same get in type character, except Filia has better air options to consider. To make a comparison, it's like saying Ryu vs Gen in SF4, they play completely different so it's actually a match up worth learning because their way to win has it's tricks that MUST be analyzed when encountering the situation.

Plus why is it that I have to worry so much about Double's ass bump assist than the actual character I'm facing?

Tell me how you're going to address that guide to newcomers. Why do casuals HAVE to go the extra mile to play the game the right way and they WANT us to play & put their name out?
    You think the extra speed should've been considered since BlazBlue feels like SF4 ... ? Disregarding the fact that BB and SF4 do not feel analogous to each other in the slightest what does this have to do with Skullgirls?
    Regarding speed? I think BlazBlue feels floaty and slow, which is why I personally enjoy Persona 4 Arena a little more because the speed feels comfortable. It sucks that Ling and Nu were the only characters for spectating (IMO) because they're the only entertaining ones. If I have to see another Hakumen vs Jin/Ragna match up not even beer will save me from boredom.

I think Skullgirls needs to the be the 'Mahvel' of Anime Fighters, because they're well crafted games and knowing how fans will play the game regardless of how stupid broken it is, it's much easier to create a following and interest because the game is visually appealing. People don't see the reads, frame data or mind games involved when someone does that ToD combo, people see someone who's beating the shit out of the other dude for almost a minute. Skullgirls has extremely entertaining combo potential, but sometimes the combos just feel like they drag for a little too long due to the sluggish like speed it currently has.

tl;dr - Autumn is struggling because the community that they tried to support after promised hype and support from our behalves gave them a big "Fuck you." because the game simply isn't pulling the cash money to move forward due to the same 6 or so beasts that are just FG naturals. I never agreed once that Autumn should have pushed the game to become competitive and cater to balance to please the 10%, because they're entering a way too difficult market for the niche community they're already trying to pull.

Had they made it seem more like a casual comic like experience, which it definitely feels like and the story mode is actually fun to play through once or twice even with the shitty deadlines they were given they could have pushed it out a little more to the casuals on why they should play. You think trying to pitch 'This game has a small roster, but it's justified because they're not only unique but completely balanced' to a casual they're going to fart out $15 when that price tag is the highest for the XBLA market? People bitch about Capcom always making games broken and not giving two shits about the competitive community #fuckOno and what not, but they're the ones that are making money because they give what the casuals want. I swear the FGC is like a psycho ex girlfriend no one wants, we bitch and we bitch yet we're always there to play regardless of the flaws it has, so who cares about flaws? Care about making your damn community first.
  • Oil ROil R Joined: Posts: 307
    The character roster is small but right for the price, the problem is the game really needs new characters in form of DLC and we agree that we will pay for that, it was funny when I read a online review from a famous spanish website "one bad thing is the game will have a lot of DLC" like if Reverge Labs was doing the same as Capcom.
  • Sanger ZonvoltSanger Zonvolt Future Cyberbots Pro Joined: Posts: 1,528
    Joined the facebook group.
    Sword of Sophia and fightan games
    Cyberbots: Super-8 & Helion
    Vampire Savior: Lilith, Jedah, and Demitri
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Filia/Squigly
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 360
    This game has a very polarizing art style. Really, that's responsible for a significant portion of the "hate". Some people bought it and decided the art style still bothered them, if you read some user reviews here and there.
    If this was a game that was supposed to appeal to quite literally everyone in the fighting game community, a polarizing looks is probably not the way to go.
    From the beginning, I was saying that you can't expect a game with only girls, extremely small roster, polarizing art style to attract the masses. You may get away with one of those points, but all three ? Good luck.
    I'd just like to say gg to everybody spreading the word, we're a little past halfway there. I feel like it's worth asking though... If the game sold like 50k+ copies, do you think 1k signatures is enough to sway reverge/autumn/whoever into action? 1k sounds good to me, but I'm not shelling out the dough for a dozen animators and coders to do their thing.
  • MWisk_2MWisk_2 Superduper Streamonster Joined: Posts: 1,042
    I think the art style is more than a good thing, I even believe whatever "controversy" it creates is a good thing for gaming in general. Enough with this twisted idea of gaming aesthetics gaming media created nowadays, enough with this. This AAA-seller (I'm even saying game, lots of AAA aren't good games) only crap killed a lot of good ideas, fun games and genres even (I look at my old rpgs from the ps2/1 etc and I get sad...)
    New account, orig '06, same Brazilian monster. Shoutouts to Team Sp00ky! PSN: marcushardle
    Skullgirls: Valentine/Filia or Valentine/Double Gimme Squigly Mike_Z
    KOFXIII: Yuri/King/Terry UMVC3: Wesker/Storm/Sentinel Felicia/Virgil/Wesker
    AE2012: Sakura (main), Oni (alt.) SFxTK: Poison/Julia
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    I'd just like to say gg to everybody spreading the word, we're a little past halfway there. I feel like it's worth asking though... If the game sold like 50k+ copies, do you think 1k signatures is enough to sway reverge/autumn/whoever into action? 1k sounds good to me, but I'm not shelling out the dough for a dozen animators and coders to do their thing.
    I'm pretty sure they'll change milestone after reaching 1k.
    I think the art style is more than a good thing, I even believe whatever "controversy" it creates is a good thing for gaming in general. Enough with this twisted idea of gaming aesthetics gaming media created nowadays, enough with this. This AAA-seller (I'm even saying game, lots of AAA aren't good games) only crap killed a lot of good ideas, fun games and genres even (I look at my old rpgs from the ps2/1 etc and I get sad...)
    Did you watch latest zero punctuation about Medal Of Honor and Doom 3 HD? =]
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
    I'm pretty sure they'll change milestone after reaching 1k.
    They'll have to after a week. They'll have to change it again when the patch drops. They'll have to change it again if this gets posted on SRK/Eventhubs frontpage.
    Enough with this twisted idea of gaming aesthetics gaming media created nowadays, enough with this.
    The "idea" was brought up here simply to counter the proclamation of how this game is amazing in every way and should be welcomed by all of the FG.
    The "idea" does have an effect on what consumers consume, it doesn't matter if you're fed up with it, because that won't make it go away.

I agree, I would rather have more games utilizing drastically different art styles and being unique. However, that doesn't mean I expect games that stray from the norm to be mainstream and garner huge fanbases, because one should typically expect those games to have a niche audience in the current time.
    Basically, if you're going to push against the status quo, don't expect and easy effort (ie SG being one of the biggest tourney games). That's all that point was.
    I will be changing the milestone once we reach it, im very aware that getting only 1000 people on this thing is pennies to Autumn but we had to start somewhere and it looks a lot better if we reach the milestones set than having some massive number we dont even come close to. Even though we're only nearing 600 people, that's all on word of mouth from the fans. We haven't even pushed for articles on SRK or any other fighting game websites. I have high hopes that, once the patch comes out, we can move this thing into full swing.
  • MWisk_2MWisk_2 Superduper Streamonster Joined: Posts: 1,042
    Snip.

That wasn't directed towards anything in this thread. It's just my personal feelings about current gen videogames in general.

Yet there's something that bothered me, why should a different art-style or stray-away-from-the-norm directions (gameplay, environtment, story or whatever) be doomed to be a niche title or to struggle? Just because of those things? This is what I don't understand, this would all change if people once again recognized gaming as something fun and innovative, like, if a game is a good and fun game it could have anything its creators wanted.

I'm pretty sure all of this would've change if the media changed its approach on what deserve and what doesn't deserve a good score. While I still make all my purchase decisions based on my likings and games I personally researched (paying $100 for a game helps being more thorough), I know there's a whole "review-based" audience for games now. If for 1 year gaming sites told people games like CoD-esque clones were 5's and games like Valkyria Chronicles, Beyond Good and Evil (to mention something older), Bayonetta, Folklore etc. as 10's I'm pretty sure the focus of the investments would eventually shift.
    New account, orig '06, same Brazilian monster. Shoutouts to Team Sp00ky! PSN: marcushardle
    Skullgirls: Valentine/Filia or Valentine/Double Gimme Squigly Mike_Z
    KOFXIII: Yuri/King/Terry UMVC3: Wesker/Storm/Sentinel Felicia/Virgil/Wesker
    AE2012: Sakura (main), Oni (alt.) SFxTK: Poison/Julia
    Stuff
    This is just how humans work. It's my (self-appointed) job to ponder this stuff, and here are my conclusions.

Humans have been trained, since our beginnings, to stick with what works. If, back in the day, your people learned to eat one type of fruit and hunt small animals (nothing bigger than a deer), that's what you do. If you wanted to be innovative and eat new things or hunt bigger animals, there was a good chance of you eating something poisonous or getting crushed by an elephant. This method of existing has been hammered into our instincts, and has been survived by our ancestors unto us. The remnants of this instinct can be viewed everywhere today, but one example is tradition. All the different cultures of the world have traditions, and most families have their own individual, unique traditions. You follow them. You don't really question them, and when the time comes you show up at a gathering, or buy gifts, or cook/eat food, or whatever without really thinking about it, even if you don't like/prefer not to participate in them. It's just that thing you do.

However, by this logic, you shouldn't be even questioning this, right? You should already accept that anything new isn't what you want. However, according to how I see it, Evolution is awesome. All the different things in people, everything from different blood types, different body sizes, hair/eye/skin color, natural instincts, they are all different. The way I view that is Nature's back up plan. In case some bad shit happens that, say, kills everyone with A type blood, some super-virus or something, there will still be people left (the non-A blood types). Every time I see differences in people, that's what I see. All of our differences are suited for different means of survival, and each of us are equipped for different paths in life.

So... I realized I talked too much already... basically, you, the new idea favoring guy, are outnumbered by the remnants of a past life, one which we've already outgrown imo. Eventually, because we are going to need to learn to expand past Earth eventually, the people who like the idea of new things will begin to grow and outnumber the close minded, I-like-what's-existed-forever thinkers. Unfortunately, it will take a few more years for the word "Mainstream" to lose it's value, and people will start looking for innovative ideas just as much, if not more than pre-established ideas.
    However, by this logic, you shouldn't be even questioning this, right? You should already accept that anything new isn't what you want.
    That's already self-contradictory, as you have to accept things at some point or else you would never have an accepted repertoire to begin with.

Also nature doesn't work with "back-up plans". Variation is just luck-based. Shit goes extinct all the time.

(Also, totally off-topic.)
  • HecatomHecatom (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I signed the petition because even when i am not playing the game right now (and if for some reason after the patch i end never playing it) i will still buy every piece of content that they put out for the game, since even when i don't really like how the game is played right now, i love all the concepts behind it, a game made by a member of the FGC a dream that i think many of us share, and it would be sad that someone who actually have what it took to made it happen, wouldn't be able to continue with say dream.
    I think Skullgirls needs to the be the 'Mahvel' of Anime Fighters
    But Marvel is the "Mahvel" of anime fighters :coffee:
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    But Marvel is the "Mahvel" of anime fighters :coffee:
    I was just using the coined term, people call capcom fighters well... capcom fighters.

I was going to say airdashers but you can air dash in marvel.
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    Skullgirls isn't anime... it's... fat-ime.
    BIG THUG NUTZ
  • Sp00kyFoxSp00kyFox Joined: Posts: 256
    signed the petition but waiting to actually support the game and devs by buying the pc port.
    hype kinda died with all the waiting but I'm still interested in the game.
    Skullgirls isn't anime... it's... fat-ime.
    I can't tell if you legitimately dont like the game... or whatever it is you're doing with the fitness comments. I'm lost.