calculating hit or block stun?

FoxhoundXIIIFoxhoundXIII Joined: Posts: 39
can someone explain to me how hit stun or block stun is calculated (regarding to ssf4ae)? i've been looking/searching around but i can't find a definitive answer.

Comments

• Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭
    They take video of the frames and count them 1by 1

Or the maker of said games provide them, but that is extremely rare.

As far as "calculation" of hit and blockstun it pretty much goes like this:

1. Startup
    2. Active
    3. Recovery

For calculating how much hitstun advantage or blockstun advantage there is, you dont need recovery.

So lets say that a move is 5 active frames and 10 recovery frames thats 15 total frames. IF WE KNOW what the ending advantage is on either hit or block we can extrapolate the hit/blockstun:

Ending adv = -5 on either hit or block would mean that BOTH hit and blockstun are 10 frames.

Now, this can change if the move hits in later active frames (meaty) in this case lets say that the movehit on its last active frame and again assuming that the hit and blockstun are 10 frames... The move leaves its user at a +0 advantage.

So yes thats a somewhat simplified way of calculating ht and block advantage. You need active and recovery and advantageto calculate hit or blockstun. Yet you can use blockstun to calculate adv if you dont have it... Its relatively simple math.
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
  • FoxhoundXIIIFoxhoundXIII Joined: Posts: 39
    thank you very much! that was extremely helpful! umm if you dont mind, i would like to ask another question... how do you calcuate wake up frames to set up for safe jumps?
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    Each player has different wakeup speeds, and they seem to be grouped into "classes", Ryu/Ken will wake up the same speed, Adon will wake up faster. Safejumps are usually per-character and while I won't be surprised if someone has the framedata out there for how long someone is down, it's just easier to go into practice mode and do it yourself.

To practice wakeups in training mode you need to think a little backward.
    Pick someone you want to practice safejumps again, we'll pick Cammy.

First thing you do is pick yourself as Cammy, and the player you want to practice as, as 2p.
    Switch to Recording mode and record this set of steps: dash forward twice, sweep, back up and jump in with your safejump attack/setup.
    Set the dummy to playback and now you will play as Cammy. You will see the dummy run at you, sweep, then try to attack. If you want to make sure you have your safejump timed perfectly then you can try hitting a button when waking up as Cammy, just anything that takes a long time to start like HP or HK. If you see "Counter-Hit" then you know you have it set up correctly.

You set your dummy up as the person "practicing" the safejump, because your job is trying to find holes in your attack. Try wakeup Ultra, try wakeup SRK, try focus dash back - find out what works with your safejump setup.

For the easy-peasy version though just head out the Character Discussion forum and find your character - 90% of the time there is already a thread made up that lists out the safejump options to get you started.
  • FoxhoundXIIIFoxhoundXIII Joined: Posts: 39
    thank you @gordonsbeard... I have looked in character discussion pages but felt cheap for using safe jumps that other players have already discovered. i guess i just wanted to find my own safe jumps and setups (despite, the fact that they might be repeats). thanks again @dime_x and Gordonsbeard.
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    thank you @gordonsbeard... I have looked in character discussion pages but felt cheap for using safe jumps that other players have already discovered. i guess i just wanted to find my own safe jumps and setups (despite, the fact that they might be repeats). thanks again @dime_x and Gordonsbeard.
    Yeah it's very important to know how to find them or why they work instead of just using someone else's, this is why Training Smart will beat just time spent in training mode. You gotta know to setup things like safejumps or mixups and see how to react to them.
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭

...dont feel cheap, thats scrub shit. Do you throw? Yes? Others were throwing before you... You are cheap and non creative :rolleyes:

Use other peoples safejumps, your own safe jumps, different stuff you find around srk,things you find on your own etc etc. probably at most i use about 40% my own stuff... At MOST.

Anywho on to finding safe jumps... They are pretty easy actually:

Find your characters untechable knockdowns, knock the opponent character down, HOLD UP FORWARD to jump, press a jumping attack on the way down timed "like a safejump" if the jump attack wiffed that means that you have more than enough time to safejump that character, now all you have to do is find the timing or use a timing device such as a wiffed normal then hold up toward as a kind of autotiming.

Learn that, then when you think youve got a proper safejump (youll know what they feel like cause youve practiced and used other peoples, right?... Hint hint)

Just set the training dummy to record, record your safejump to your satisfaction, then control the character that is getting safejumped and see if there reversal hits or not.

There is a bit more to it than that but common sense should get you further along the road than me writing more.

Ill just say this... Your spacing in record can throw off the dummys safejump.... So make sure that your record is either spacing unspecific or that there is an inclusion for the dummy to always get the closest possible before executing the knockdown into safejump
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x