Answer to Ken's Hard Shoryuken

NeilBabyyNeilBabyy Joined: Posts: 30
Hello,

My friend spams Ken's Hard Shoryuken And I cant seem to find an answer to it... I jump in... just about everything is that move...

I play as Ryu... Please help

Comments

• M00nTigerM00nTiger RIP Starbase Arcade Joined: Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
  • the saviourthe saviour Joined: Posts: 170
    well ryus hard shoryuken beats kens so just shoryuken him back and you should win everytime
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,495 mod
    Block and punish.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • NeilBabyyNeilBabyy Joined: Posts: 30
    Well I gues the problem I am having is jumping into my combos I get punished with it. And I can run up to him... I guess I should learn this baiting.
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,495 mod
    That means you're jumping too much/too predictably. Jumping is a risk in Street Fighter.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,282 mod
    Don't jump. You're Ryu, make him come to you.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX SSJizzle XVampire G.Jr Joined: Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't just start your combos with jump ins. Don't worry, because everyone wants to jump in and only do combos that way before they know any better.
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.
  • ChadChad Joined: Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭
    Yell "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE" really loud right when you jump. This may only work once or twice.
  • 4neqs4neqs thick_thighs Joined: Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tis Street Fighter 101. Always consider your grounded options. Jumping is always the last resort.

sf4-dummies-1.jpg
    "But that's SRK for you. SFIV could have a feature where Chun-Li steps out of the TV and gives the players blowjobs, and some would still complain because she wasn't Sakura." --Azrael(?)
  • Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 189
    Pretty much what has been said here. If he is uppercutting you everytime you jump in it's because you're being predictable about it. You really shouldn't need to jump often as Ryu. Use fireballs to pressure him into jumping at YOU and then you can uppercut him when he jumps. You have to be mindful of your spacing and your patterns, practice is important here. It's okay to jump at someone as Ryu but it shouldn't be a primary tool and should come as a surprise to the other person. Ryu has all the tools to quite literally never jump once in an entire match.

Depending on your style of play, you can keep him push out if he gets too close and you want to play the distance game with cMK, Hadoken or even cMP once or twice. If you want to get inside on him on your terms you can still use the fireballs to pressure him. It shouldn't be too hard to get some offense started after you close the distance and bully him around with fireballs.

If he is uppercutting you when you two are up close to each other he is probably mashing them. Do something safe or simply block and wait for him to land then punish him hard for it.
    MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.
  • EX ProfoundsadnessEX Profoundsadness This is Bushinryu. Joined: Posts: 147
    just throw fireballs, yours are faster than his. knock him down with an EX, dash up and then bait dp.
    SSF4/AE: a meh Guy, a mediocre Ryu, and Sir Thomas Hawk.
    3s: Ken, Ryu, Remy VF5: Eileen, Jacky, Lei Fei Tekken 3: Hwoarang
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    If this was a serious question, it's got to be a record for the most absurd fundamental gameplay error in a long, long time. Ironically, if he played 3s, he could just jump all day into his buddy's hard srk.
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 189
    Everyone starts somewhere, buddy. I'm sure when you first started Street Fighter you were making all sorts of retarded moves that looking back on you wanted to slap yourself for. It happens to the best of us. He's coming here looking for help, we've given it to him. Nurture the new players, man.
    MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.
  • NeilBabyyNeilBabyy Joined: Posts: 30
    Thank you guys for all the tips I'm going to work on it.
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    Block and punish with something like a sweep.
    That will net you a hard knockdown, which will let you mix up or apply pressure.

As for the match-up in general, keep him out.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • PongBoomPongBoom land of ice and snow Joined: Posts: 707
    Only answer at the level your at.

Block it, then kill him on the way down
    Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    -Winston Churchill
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    If this was a serious question, it's got to be a record for the most absurd fundamental gameplay error in a long, long time. Ironically, if he played 3s, he could just jump all day into his buddy's hard srk.
    -.- no. you're wrong. straight up.
    1 frame srk, invincible on startup. you have to expect something to parry it and ken has other options with different parry timings to them.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • AntonioAntonio You are defeated Joined: Posts: 133
    dont jump alot, block them and punish him
  • YorKeYYorKeY High level Dota 2. Joined: Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭
    Use your Dive Kick.
    XBL/PSN/Steam- iYorKeY
    USF4: Yun, C.Viper, Ibuki
    Melee: Marth/Sheik
    Where the connections are always green, SoCaL.

• ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's useful to understand why you feel it's a good idea to jump in certain situations.

Remember these things:
    - An opponent is more likely to attack where and when you appear to be vulnerable
    - You are most vulnerable (forget about move recovery for now) when walking forward (can't block while holding forward, can inadvertently walk into attacks)
    - You are vulnerable to overhead attacks (including jumping attacks) when crouching
    - Focus Attacks lock you into position and are vulnerable to throws and allow the opponent to jump unless they are cancelled.

This ties in with a fundamental FG technique - bait the opponent into doing something by making yourself appear vulnerable.
    If you find that you are jumping a lot, you might be getting baited. He might be walking forward to bait the jump in, and then anti-airing you. Or he might just be sitting there crouching waiting for you to jump. Or he could be doing a Focus Attack at a range where you think you can land an ambiguous jump in or empty jump into throw, and then backdashing and anti-airing you. Resist the urge, and instead either take control of the ground space, or just wait it out and force him to try a different tactic.

Watch Daigo bait a jump by crouching @ 1m44s

You can tell he is preparing to anti-air because you can seem him buffer the DP motion while crouching (from this position he can also react to a fireball with Ultra - good players employ strategies that have multiple options in their favour).

Same here @ around 11s:

Same vid @ 1m38, he goes for the Focus Attack into backdash bait (watch how he buffers the DP while he is crouching).

You can find examples of these techniques (and more) all over YouTube. You just need to know what to look for. Now obviously the opponent (especially if he's any good) won't often fall for predictable stuff, but good players are also very mindful of when they look vulnerable so they know which counter-measures to prepare for. In other words, even though they might not be trying to bait something, they are extra wary about which moves the opponent might go for at certain points during a match.

In short, if you keep the following in mind, you'll get baited into jumping less often, and you'll be able to get the opponent to jump at you more easily too (it's more complicated than this, but start with these ideas):
    - Forward movement is bait for a jump or poke because you are vulnerable to highs and lows
    - Crouching is bait for a jump because you are vulnerable to overhead attacks
    - Focus Attacks are bait for jumps because it locks you into a position