Dante: The Demon Hunter Thread

13»

Comments

• ConspiracyConspiracy Joined: Posts: 21
    Great post no_password! I'll have to try the U+F+circle. I can test it out on stick later tonight and get back to you guys. I completely forgot about Angel Dashing into Square/Triangle/Circle attacks until someone commented on one of my videos about it. It is definitely a great way to get in and I think it definitely helps against characters with projectile/range advantage.

no_password, i've been putting your Aerial Arbiter hit confirms into my game and I gotta say it's been very very useful. Especially when using Prop Shredder, like you said even if you don't hit you have a good chance of catching them out of the air tech. I've been meaning to play with you but i've been a bit busy. I'd like to do some 2v2's with you. I could probably learn some stuff as I really need to work on my multiplayer game.

I think one thing we haven't really discussed is match ups with certain opponents. I think that would be great to get input or ideas from you guys. So far my hardest match up seems to be Drake or any projectile heavy character.

Dante vs Drake:
    Barrels - Do not even try to Parry these things. It will usually end up with a barrel exploding in your face. You can use Prop Shredder to destroy barrels but the recovery time on Prop Shredder may allow your opponent to punish. Aerial Arbiter does NOT destroy the barrel. Durability points on Arbiter is lower and it won't even trigger the barrel to explode in most cases. If you attempt to short hop over a barrel Drake can short hop and counter with a Magnum shot sending you across the screen bringing the fight back to a neutral situation where you need to navigate through bullet hell of grenades, magnums, tranqs, and barrels.

Also considering Dante only has a few hit confirms are that more execution heavy than most characters we can be at a disadvantage in tense or laggy situations. I know I've dropped EC's when a kill was depending on it due to nerves or lag.

My brother plays a real mean Drake. Its super hard to approach. I will get a few more 1v1s with him with some of my new skills and post anything I find.
    *edit - Off the top. Short hop into air dodge has been the most useful recently for getting through barrels, but once he realized what was going on he'd just follow up with the AK. Short hop, dodge, block then punish is what I resorted to. As far as arbiters not destroying barrels...sometimes they do sometimes they don't which bothers me. I will see if I can figure out why.
    Can't edit an edit?
    If you can catch it at the beginning of the Drakes animation...our triangle will make cancel barrels but he still follows the animation. It sometimes catches Drake off guard when he expects to have a barrel there but nothing comes out.
  • DuaieDuaie Joined: Posts: 346
    I think one thing we haven't really discussed is match ups with certain opponents.

Good idea. I'll start contributing

Dante vs Radec (or horizontal projectiles in general)
    I think Dante has a good answer to horizontal projectiles spammers like radec. His air dash is a wonderful move since you can quickly hop over the projectile and attack him from above, preferably with air down circle. Or you can just jump and immediately do down-circle, then dash forward to get in and confirm into a combo.
    Against Radec specifically, always try to punish his rolls with a ground dash into f-square, since they usually love to roll back and forward-square you to death.

Against Drake, jump and dodge at the same time. You can jump over the barrel and also avoid the Magnum shot, but I don't know if there's some way to punish Dante for this.

The only way to beat this jump-dodge thing is by placing a mine or something on the floor, since you basically have to press the block button at the exact same frame as you landed, which is very difficult.
    That's why characters like Sackboy give me way more problems than Drake. Dante's d-C does not destroy the electric thing he places on the floor for some reason. That, combined with the cake-projectiles he throws at you, makes Sackboy virtually unapproachable.
    Circle jerking at its finest
  • ProjectSeoulProjectSeoul お前はもう死んでいる Joined: Posts: 94
    I'm positive projectiles have durability and I guess if we knew different values things would be a bit easier. I don't remember if my Arbiter ever triggered the barrel to explode (cant think of it off the top of my head). Perhaps you hit it was something else as well? Probably not though as you would have mentioned that.

And yes Sackboy is another bad matchup for us. I can confirm that Sackboy's electric mat does not get destroyed when we use our Arbiters. I personally take the time to try and destroy Sackboy's projectiles when I can but that leaves me open to attack.

For me Radec has not given me too many issues as it is somewhat easy to get in on him as long as you pay attention to his sniper shots. Though i'm sure there are Radecs out there who are better at keeping people out than the standard snipe all day Radecs I've faced. His air grenade and electric attack are quite effective and I don't see many Radecs using this as much as they probably should.
    I'm positive projectiles have durability and I guess if we knew different values things would be a bit easier. I don't remember if my Arbiter ever triggered the barrel to explode (cant think of it off the top of my head). Perhaps you hit it was something else as well? Probably not though as you would have mentioned that.

And yes Sackboy is another bad matchup for us. I can confirm that Sackboy's electric mat does not get destroyed when we use our Arbiters. I personally take the time to try and destroy Sackboy's projectiles when I can but that leaves me open to attack.

For me Radec has not given me too many issues as it is somewhat easy to get in on him as long as you pay attention to his sniper shots. Though i'm sure there are Radecs out there who are better at keeping people out than the standard snipe all day Radecs I've faced. His air grenade and electric attack are quite effective and I don't see many Radecs using this as much as they probably should.

I'll confirm tonight about the barrels but I know without a doubt I've destroyed them with arbiter before. Also the barrels have two "hits" - the one from the barrel contacting you and the barrel exploding. They do not always go off together. I've blocked a barrel, rolled backward and been followed up by the barrel still rollling to explode on me.

As for sackboy, again I will confirm but I am pretty sure our j.f2 will destroy the electric mats. So j.f2 canceled into j.f3

In general to approach I use j.f2 cancel into f3, followed by either j.d3, j.u3, j.d1, or j.f1 depending on the situation. Cancelling into the dash from j.f2 allows some extra AP from anyone it happens to hit and gives more range on the dash.
    I didn't get much of a chance to test barrels last night. I did confirm jf2 will destroy sackboys electric mat. I was hit again this morning by a barrel twice, once on block rolled backwards and then it hit me and exploded.

Getting more consistent with EC but still having a hell of a time comboing into it in real time. Im making progress though because now instead of finishing with u3 I am cancelling into the super...but I am behind my oppenent because my airdash was a bit too long.
  • RavenDSkullRavenDSkull Lost between choices. Joined: Posts: 34
    Heya guys.

I'm maining Dante and so far, I'm feeling he's a really hard char to begin with. Unlike other chars, you gotta be on point to commit to your moves, specially the 1 series. I've seen a video that shows 1,d.1 as a potencial solution and it's nice, but still hard. Fought Sly and G.Cole and both were problems as I simply couldn't make them stop running around me. I'd catch up, they throw a move or two and run again, while my air moves didn't challenge theirs (except d.1).

Still not 100% on the Bold Canceling, but getting more consistent as day passes. Found it easier to do on the pad than on the stick. Go figures.

But it felt just too good doing 1,1,1,BC, 1,1,1,BC,S1 on a Kratos. That's why I can't stop with this stylish bastard.

PS.: Why no alt for him? Or am I going blind?
    AE2012: Sagat / Yun
    PAS: Dante

Repping Brasil here.
    Hey Raven, Dante definitely has issues being safe when committing to his 1,1,1 chain. As you mentioned you can use d.1. This can be used after any of your first three 1 attacks. You may also want to try s.1, pause, 1,1,1. Like people mentioned before it seems to be a bit more safe than when you whiff the standard 1,1,1 chain. As far as getting in to start your attack that can be a problem vs ranged characters. If you watch no_password's aerial arbiter confirms video you can learn a way to get in using that. However you will still need your opponent to be on the ground in order to Empty Cancel into Super. This can be a pain w/ people jumping and short hopping all over the place. You have to be patient and you can even use a Parry here and there when you think they will throw out a ground attack you can counter. Be careful though as the Parry is not 100% reliable...
  • DopplesDopples TheFinestBrew Joined: Posts: 99
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Dante is a surprisingly elusive character in the air. Any of the triangle moves into Angel Boost is a great way to move around the screen. You don't gain as much distance as a Drake will, but it's VERY fast, and it gives you access to one of Dante's better jump ins with air side square.

Arg, I really wish they either gave Arbiter more durability, or allowed you to aim it horizontally. :/
    TvC: Frank West/Casshern UMvC3:She-Hulk/lol/lol PSABR:Drake/Kat (RIP Barrels) Persona 4 Arena: Aigis (Former Kanji main/fraud) Injustice: Harley Quinn (This'll be a blast!)
    If Suda makes a No More Heroes fighting game by teaming up with Aksys, I'd probably play nothing else ever.
    Yeah you definitely want to use s.Triangle into Angel Dash to get some distance in the air. His up and down triangle in air is definitely good to use to throw people off. If you cancel into an angel dash in the air you can use f.Square if you are low enough to the ground which will butt drop your opponent allowing you to continue your combo.

Dopples, I totally feel you on the durability for sure. It gets frustrating when almost every projectile overpowers Dante's. I'm not even sure if the Arbiter/Flush can even destroy a Sackboy Electric mat. I'll have to double check on that. Though Dante is really known as a melee character I can understand their reasoning.
  • DopplesDopples TheFinestBrew Joined: Posts: 99
    In a game where zoning and air camping is as strong as it is, there's no excuse for a melee character to not have one good projectile at least. Something to help them contend. :/
    TvC: Frank West/Casshern UMvC3:She-Hulk/lol/lol PSABR:Drake/Kat (RIP Barrels) Persona 4 Arena: Aigis (Former Kanji main/fraud) Injustice: Harley Quinn (This'll be a blast!)
    If Suda makes a No More Heroes fighting game by teaming up with Aksys, I'd probably play nothing else ever.
    @ProjectSeoul
    I'll train myself to hitconfirm his 1 chain or go to d.1. Going for f.1,[pause],1,1,1 is also a good idea. Gotta train that too. I'm trying to BC that f.1 but I'm still having problems. Can't BC reliably.

@Dopples
    Yeah, his mobility is good. Not quite Sly, Raiden or Cole, but pretty good.

I like j.d.3. A lot. But it has a super slow startup. Every time I try to do it from a comboable distance, I get countered. Maybe I'm getting predictable. Gotta j.2, j.f.2 and j.f.3 more. :P

@both
    I'm finding j.d.1 to be quite a good tool too. Gotta work on my tech chase to make it work. Dunno if there's a way to tech chase into something BCable. Would be great.

Repping Brasil here.
  • nRgnRg Adanimo Joined: Posts: 10
    For tech chasing purposes I would recommend to: short jnT and check your options from this animation as it allows you to either follow up with another air triangle series or any of his viable tech chasing moves (afS, adC, auC, anC) as it allows dante to recover quicker out of certain moves from the air. Also keep in mind that angel dash is your best friend from a short hop....it confuses many a people!
    In a game where zoning and air camping is as strong as it is, there's no excuse for a melee character to not have one good projectile at least. Something to help them contend. :/

Oh yeah i definitely agree. Thankfully we at least have a projectile unlike Raiden. But he has other options like his dive kick and his dash attack which helps him get in on opponents.

nRg, that jumping neutral 2 sounds like a good idea ill try it out.
    For tech chasing purposes I would recommend to: short jnT and check your options from this animation as it allows you to either follow up with another air triangle series or any of his viable tech chasing moves (afS, adC, auC, anC) as it allows dante to recover quicker out of certain moves from the air. Also keep in mind that angel dash is your best friend from a short hop....it confuses many a people!

Hm... Nice! But for jf.1won't I need to go into jf.3 first? Like, otherwise I'll have to time the hop even better than with any of the 3 series, as I can cancel j.2 into them.
    Oh yeah i definitely agree. Thankfully we at least have a projectile unlike Raiden. But he has other options like his dive kick and his dash attack which helps him get in on opponents.

nRg, that jumping neutral 2 sounds like a good idea ill try it out.

Dante's advantage in mobility is being able to change trajectories, isn't it? I mean... Raiden doesn't really need a projectile, because his walkspeed combined with dash attacks and dive kick make him a lot faster than Dante..

Repping Brasil here.
    Right im just saying at least we have a projectile. Even with those tools I think Raiden has a hard time against certain ranged characters. Though I don't play Raiden at all and wouldn't know. I was just saying his dive kick and dash attack compensates for him not having a projectile.

I tried playing an E.Cole 1v1 and I was a sad panda after. I have such a love hate relationship with this game and Dante's character.
    I feel you, Seoul. Especially E. Cole. Both Coles are a pain, actually.

Drake is a tad better to deal with and I think Sly is on par with the Coles. At least, mobility wise.

I don't want to give up on Dante so easy, but it's hella frustrating working on him.

Sent from my Mind using my Fingers

Repping Brasil here.
  • no_passwordno_password ... Joined: Posts: 13
    So I mentioned a while back in one of my posts that I found out that you could dash off a platform and perform the grounded version of the move while falling down. After a bit more testing, I have found a simple way to do it consistently.

All you need to do is position yourself at the edge of the platform (dodge roll to the edge to be as close as possible), then dash off while inputting the attack immediately after. Think of it as a plink.

This can also be performed if you are not directly on the edge but the timing of the attack differs depending on the distance to the edge.

Also, if you try this with the arbiter toss and input it very fast you can get the axe to travel along the platform that you are falling through.

Now here's something that will seem silly due to its simplicity.
    I use the above technique in the next video but it really isn't necessary. Its the same as ProjectSeoul's 203 AP combo but it takes out the need for connecting with the back of the scythe. Just whiff the first 2 swings of the square chain so that only the crumple slash hits then use the guns before performing the same combo. It takes away from the total by 4 AP (95 AP before burst compared to ProjectSeoul's 99 AP before burst) but the AP gain from the extra shots at the beginning adds an extra 3 AP to the total.

Physical hits: 95 AP + 30 AP (from final hit) = 125 AP
    Guns: 51 AP
    Burst: 30 AP
    Total: 206 AP

Last video is an old clip that I used as a bonus in one of my other videos. It's an ice missile combo that nets 246 AP.

Edit: Long post becomes longer D:

So after more testing, i've found an easy way to do grounded aerials even when you aren't at the edge of a platform. Basically just do any of his gun moves before dashing off the platform and input the move while still in the dash. Like the previous one, its still limited by what you can normally do out of a dash. This means that his neutral square chain and side square chain get gimped and only perform the final hit out of chain.

While taking away from his offense a little, it allows you to perform another dash. So the initial dash off the platform counts as a grounded dash while the next one you perform counts as an aerial one.

Also, Dante's down triangle is the fastest gun move that allows cancelling into dash so it finally has some use lol.

It also has a strange property where it allows for triangle moves to be performed midair. It looks kinda funny and serves no real purpose.

Hopefully Dante is possibly getting a buff....? his guns for example.......
    So I said in my previous post that the aerial grounded guns just looked funny and served no real purpose.

Whoops.

Apparently, useless tech leads to more useless tech.
    When you perform the grounded aerial guns the game still considers you grounded as you fall through the air. This means that you can dash out of them and the game recognizes this as a grounded dash. Like I mentioned in my edit, you can still perform a dash afterward which would be considered the aerial version.

The problem is that doing a dash out of the guns retains your downward momentum. The downward momentum really limits where you can perform this trick since you'll probably hit the ground during the second dash. I've only been able to find 3 platforms high enough for this to work so its entirely situational.

Great stuff no_password. I love how the last video starts in the first post haha. I appreciate that you are putting in time to find and share tech for Dante. I wish I had more time to put in the lab.

I've kind of been disheartened lately with Dante and with the game in general. You have to put in a lot of work in order to be effective with him vs other characters. I won't even go into the pitfalls of Dante haha. Right now I'm trying to put some time into other characters to find a good alt other than Drake. Working on my Coles right now. I won't give up on Dante but I'm definitely putting him on the side while I learn other characters. It's sad cause I was playing Dante from Day 1.

We still need to play some 2v2s sometime no_password. Did you wanna feature each others channels on our page? I think a lot Dante players can benefit from your videos greatly.
    I know that feeling.
    I usually go for combo heavy characters with good movement options and Dante fit the bill perfectly. Its actually the reason I chose him in MvC3 as well. Unfortunately, there aren't many characters that match my style but Kat looks pretty good with her 8-way dash. Her trash summon system seems interesting and hopefully that will create some interesting combos.

Also, i'm up for featuring each others pages. I hope more people pick up Dante but he's definitely an all-or-nothing character. You either know what you're doing or you look pretty free. Though it does make me smile whenever I run into a Dante pulling off empty cancel combos online.
    Haha awesome, I use Dante in Marvel as well. He's really fun. I'm definitely looking forward to Kat as well. I've been seeing a lot more Dante's and I agree it's great to see them empty canceling. Except I ran into one while I was playing G.Cole (im a real noob with him) and he was tea-bagging constantly. Gives us Dante's a bad name. I think for most people if they cannot or do not have the patience to learn the empty cancel they will usually not stick with Dante.

The game is still young and honestly I've put so much time into Dante I'll be back for sure. I still use him when I play with my regular 2v2 partner as we're doing a reddit 2v2 tourney. I'll be playing with the d.2 dash for sure. :D You never know when it might be useful to avoid a Level 3.
    Anyone else notice Dante's profile pic has changed in PSABR.....?!?!?
  • criminal-shoryukencriminal-shoryuken Joined: Posts: 12
    Is there a good way to use dante effectively against opens on block because recovery frames are a nuisance
    against opponents on block
    How about this dante update coming in?
    So... is Dante top tier now?
  • SiebenSieben Joined: Posts: 8
    With the balance patch dante got some changes. But i don't understand one of his changes:

--- Up Square is now jump-cancellable on both active frames

I would be grateful, if someone could explain it for me.
    PSN: Siel3en
    Sieben wrote: »
    With the balance patch dante got some changes. But i don't understand one of his changes:

--- Up Square is now jump-cancellable on both active frames

I would be grateful, if someone could explain it for me.
    If you noticed, it happens sometimes that you can't jump-cancel Dante's up-square (launcher) when you are far from the opponent. That's because there are 2 different hitboxes, which become active in 2 different frames, and only the first one is jump-cancellable. If you are far from the opponent, the first hitbox misses, so if the second hitbox (on the second active frame) hits, you can't jump cancel it.

In other words, now you can always jump cancel up-square, regardless of your opponent's distance. Which I think is a huge buff, since you can now use up-square instead of up-circle from an up-throw, and it makes many other combos on airborne opponents much easier.

The fact that he can now cancel his neutral-square combo on block is probably what will make him on of the best characters in the game. I can't really say though lol, since people online usually don't know what blocking is.

Also, reduced cost on supers? Hell yeah. Can now change the facing of his square chains? Oh my god.
    I'm not sure but in one of the patches I think it mentioned something like not being able to quickly super the moment you touch the ground after an attack. I think it effected my dante's empty cancel into level 1 because I'm finding it harder to time online.
    Okay but what is this jump-cancel?
    If I understand aright it is the jump right after up-square, if you hold the button. But sometimes Dante's jump was canceling, if you are far from the opponent. Is that the jump-cancel?
    Okay but what is this jump-cancel?
    If I understand aright it is the jump right after up-square, if you hold the button. But sometimes Dante's jump was canceling, if you are far from the opponent. Is that the jump-cancel?
    that's what it is. the jump righter after if you hold the button

edited March 2013
    So in other word, is just a fix and not really a change, right?
    Post edited by Sieben on
    So in toher word, is just a fix and not really a change, right?
    I think they made it so u couldn't use launcher in certain situations (like after a up-throw). I don't think it's just a fix, maybe they just realized Dante needed to do more damage on jumping opponents.

@criminal
    It is harder indeed, but at least we didn't lose it completely like it was initially thought by many.

Anyway, I'm really liking this new patch so far. Much of the broken stuff is gone, Kratos is now punishable (oh god yes...) and characters like Big Daddy and Jak are pretty viable now.
    I feel drake should be nerfed. that run n gun is just insane but I'm really liking dante's buffs. being able to cancel on block is amazing. I'm still sad about my empty cancel to lv.1 but I guess with the decrease in ap cost of his levels makes it easier for me to skip lv.1 and empty cancel into lv.2
    I'm still sad about my empty cancel to lv.1 but I guess with the decrease in ap cost of his levels makes it easier for me to skip lv.1 and empty cancel into lv.2
    Don't give up on it, It's just a bit more strict. You just have to do super a tad later, it's still pretty easy for me :P

But yeah, his biggest buff was probably the decreased cost on supers. Now I pretty much always have at least 1 bar, I never run out of meter. It may not seem like a big change, but in the long run, it's huge.

Don't give up on it, It's just a bit more strict. You just have to do super a tad later, it's still pretty easy for me :P

But yeah, his biggest buff was probably the decreased cost on supers. Now I pretty much always have at least 1 bar, I never run out of meter. It may not seem like a big change, but in the long run, it's huge.

[/quote] Sometimes it's certain characters I can't pull it off on and then it's the timing. My hardest time pulling it off is online. It's weird how they made the timing for the ghetto cancel (up 2 to neutral circle) more strict. I stopped using it once I learned the empty cancel but I sometimes used it in certain situations.

• FistTaFaceFistTaFace Practice=Perfect Joined: Posts: 129
    Good Stuff
    Street Fighter All Day EveryDay! Thats All Thier Is To Say.....
    Sorry guys, been really busy with things and this new forum layout is killing me! SRK has slowed down as far as PSASBR unfortunately so I haven't been here as much. I have been putting time into Dante again and I'm having fun w/ his changes. And yes the EC into Level 1 timing is slightly stricter now. His n.1 cancel on block is quite awesome!
13»