How do you pick a game/character to play most?

PapinguimPapinguim Joined: Posts: 308
Hi, I've been trying lately to get better at fighting games. I have no idea which game to pick, character to choose, nothing. I have a fightstick, etc. but I just have no idea what to do. How did you guys pick which game to main? How did you pick which character to play?

2D Games, 3D Games, doesn't matter.

Comments

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭✭
    Play the entire roster. Try out their trials, play around with them in training mode, try them in a match, read and watch tutorials on forums or the internet, and watch high-level footage of your character.

After all this, you'll usually find a handful of characters that you kind of naturally gravitate towards. Spend more time with these characters until you find someone that you like.

When in doubt, pick Ryu.
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    The game:
    I decided to stick to ST because is a timeless jewel, i just don't have words to describe such wonderful game.

The Character(s):
    I've been playing with Ken since Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting.

Ken is and always will be my main character, i don't care if he is a top character or not, he's aggresive and risk - reward profile fits with me and like him, i really enjoy playing with Ken.

With years T. Fucking Hawk has become ken's partner in crime and now they're brothers in arms, i just love playing with ST. Hawk and O.Hawk, i use Hawk around de 45% of the time.

Secondaries:
    E. Honda
    Zangief
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,508 mod
    If you're new to the genre, I'd watch high level match vids of a few different games. Look for stuff that looks fun to you. Go from there.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • YorKeYYorKeY Subsistence, Persistence, and Existence. High level Dota 2. Joined: Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    This is how is Choose my character:
    1. They must have a good or decent dragon punch type of move
    2. A projectile even if it's not that reliable, but at least have one. But if they do not it's okay, as long as they have good special moves.
    3. If they look bad ass
    4. I use all their standing and crouching normal's in training mode, if they have good angles with nice range(which is the most important to me out of anything) that's a super plus in my eyes. they're jumping normal's do not have to be good but " okay."
    mains and secondaries
    3s: Ken/Chun Li no i am not a tier whore but these characters meet my criteria perfectly if you read it again don't you think? Usually the bad ass looking characters are high tier in every game because it's only fitting that they have the skills to compliment their looks!! of course their are EXCEPTIONS but when was the last time a bad ass looking character sucked in any game? Think about it Ken vs Sean on 3rd strike, yeah that's right your going to go with Ken. EVEN if you have not even seen the tier list, well in most people cases in my opinion. Sorry, i just hate when people call me a tier whore. Maybe i just like those character!???
    SF4AE2012: Yun/Sakura
    Melee- Sheik/Marth
    KoF13- Ex Iori,Yuri, Elizabeth
    XBL/PSN/Steam- iYorKeY
    USF4: Yun, C.Viper, Ibuki
    Melee: Marth/Sheik
    Where the connections are always green, SoCaL.

• CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Anti-Obstructionist Joined: Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The game has to be fun, there is no point in playing a game that you hate, its a waste of time, brainpower and energy. Don't be afraid to try older games, I'm an 09er but some of my favorite FG's are 3S, Garou, MVC2, Tekken 3 and KOF 98.

2. I like characters with personality, which is why I like 3S, KOF and Tekken characters compared to the (imo) somewhat dull ST characters. I like playing as Ibuki as she's kind of a ditzy, teenage, ninja, slut and I liked that about her. I also like characters with tons of options, so the characters I like such as Ibuki, Kyo, Rock Howard, Ryuji Yamazaki and others tend to reflect that. Remember, the character you main is the character you WILL probably focus 60% of your time maining if you have a secondary, so you need to be able to sit in training mode for hours and like the character.

3.Command Grabs <3! I love me some command grabs, especially when non-grappler characters have them, it makes their move list interesting and it makes offense more interesting.

4. Pick who you like, most games aren't as broken as back in the Golden Age of FG's you have more or less a good chance of winning with almost anyone.

5. Have Fun, people forget this but its the most important thing. I know it sounds cheesy but if you're not having fun, stop.

SF4- Ibuki, Zangief
    SSMB- Mario
    Garou:MOTW- Tizoc, Rock Howard
    KOF 98- Ryuji Yamazaki, Rugal, Kyo
    Tekken- Paul Phoenix, Leo and True Ogre(Only in Tag Tournament games)
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    3S/USF4- Ibuki :: KOF 98- Terry/Shermie/Kyo :: KOF XI- Terry/Oswald/Gato :: KOF XIII- Clark/EX Kyo/Terry :: GGXrd- Ram Chan

Please check out my Blog! Its what all the cool kids are doing! - http://grippingthenation.blogspot.com/
  • VerstandeVerstande Joined: Posts: 324
    Look at tournaments of different games, play demos/rent, and choose the one that is the most fun for you.
  • jpenguin77jpenguin77 I just keep gettin back up Joined: Posts: 197 ✭✭
    I believe you should have at least 2 main characters. In SF4 I have Ken and Honda reason being is I balance myself in using charge and rolling attack types and give myself a break if I can't find a groove. (I know that sounds kinda wishy washy but sometimes you get burnt out being the same guy).
    Avian Smackdown
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,316 mod
    Play whatever/whoever you win the most with.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    I used to just pick only fast, Asian women (in real life lol!) before I tangled with Vanessa Lewis on VF5FS

About 85% of this website will pick whoever and whatever they think will give them the match, and then jump ship to a totally different character when game number 3, or 5, comes out. Will you be different?
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • doubleohdoubleoh Joined: Posts: 258
    This is how is Choose my character:
    1. They must have a good or decent dragon punch type of move
    2. A projectile even if it's not that reliable, but at least have one. But if they do not it's okay, as long as they have good special moves.

I don't mean to sound rude but the fact that these were the two first criteria made me lol.
    SSFIVAE: Abel
  • PapinguimPapinguim Joined: Posts: 308
    Well, you know how each character has a certain area in which they excel? I don't know which character fits my playstyle. See, I play MvC3 and AE the most, but in AE, I'm liking Yang and Adon. See, the main reasons I like Yang is his Rolling Kick move (goes under projectiles) and his dive and I like Adon because of his move where he jumps back. The problem is is that they don't really fit my playstyle too well (They focus more on combos and stuff, at least Yang does, and have really weak normals). The kind of character I'd want would be a character with good normals and who is good at countering (not necessarily a counter move, but that would be nice). Any characters come to mind that would fit that description, at least sort of?
  • FluffyMFluffyM Poor so hard Joined: Posts: 664
    I apply the following filters one after another, and whatever falls through all of them, I'll play.
    1. Visual appeal (be it quirky, sexy, cool, whatever- if I don't like looking at the character, I will not play it)
    2. Pokes (they don't necessarily have to be great pokes, just have good animations that I like and want to work with)
    3. Playstyle (I like to vary RTSD, zoning and "conservative", footsy-based play, so kinda depends on game and mood)
    4. Ease of landing super
    5. Tiers (If I wanna be good at the game more than I care about liking the char [yet to happen], I will play mid tier and up only)

As for picking a game...wat.
    KOFXIII: Kyo/Mr. Karate/Hwa Jai
    SF4: Adon, Cody, Guy, Dictator
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Parasoul
    Blazblue: Platinum, Taokaka
    Melee- Sheik/Marth
    I'd say I'm pretty competent at Melee. I've been playing it for years (as many people have), so I know each character well, their strengths, weaknesses, everything. I play Link, Luigi, and Falco.
    1. The game has to be fun, there is no point in playing a game that you hate, its a waste of time, brainpower and energy. Don't be afraid to try older games, I'm an 09er but some of my favorite FG's are 3S, Garou, MVC2, Tekken 3 and KOF 98.

2. I like characters with personality, which is why I like 3S, KOF and Tekken characters compared to the (imo) somewhat dull ST characters. I like playing as Ibuki as she's kind of a ditzy, teenage, ninja, slut and I liked that about her. I also like characters with tons of options, so the characters I like such as Ibuki, Kyo, Rock Howard, Ryuji Yamazaki and others tend to reflect that. Remember, the character you main is the character you WILL probably focus 60% of your time maining if you have a secondary, so you need to be able to sit in training mode for hours and like the character.

3.Command Grabs <3! I love me some command grabs, especially when non-grappler characters have them, it makes their move list interesting and it makes offense more interesting.

4. Pick who you like, most games aren't as broken as back in the Golden Age of FG's you have more or less a good chance of winning with almost anyone.

5. Have Fun, people forget this but its the most important thing. I know it sounds cheesy but if you're not having fun, stop.

SF4- Ibuki, Zangief
    SSMB- Mario
    Garou:MOTW- Tizoc, Rock Howard
    KOF 98- Ryuji Yamazaki, Rugal, Kyo
    Tekken- Paul Phoenix, Leo and True Ogre(Only in Tag Tournament games)

Yeah, I've tried out a lot of older stuff. 3S was pretty cool, KOF is fun but the older ones are TOUGH , I've played T2, T5, and TTT (I liked Kazuya the best). I have tried out KOF XIII, and I really liked Kyo, Ash, and Benimaru. So while I do tend to with the same characters in each series (Kyo w/ the fireball, Kazuya, Yang (when he's there)), I do try out new characters. Thing is, I haven't played SF2 that much. Just tried it out. Maybe I should play it some more.
  • YorKeYYorKeY Subsistence, Persistence, and Existence. High level Dota 2. Joined: Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I'd say I'm pretty competent at Melee. I've been playing it for years (as many people have), so I know each character well, their strengths, weaknesses, everything. I play Link, Luigi, and Falco.
    That's sick dude, good to see another member of the Melee community.
    Link does have some options on Melee despite what everyone says in my opinion. Luigi just seems horrible compared to Mario and most of the cast to me. And of course..... Falco is godlike. haha
    Link on Brawl is better then most people think and players like Izaw prove that. Enough about Melee though, let's save the Melee talk for the Smash Bros section.
    XBL/PSN/Steam- iYorKeY

I don't mean to sound rude but the fact that these were the two first criteria made me lol.
    I can see that you main Abel, so i'm not surprised. But yeah my description sounds a little like a shoto whore already. Lol
    XBL/PSN/Steam- iYorKeY

• AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 499 ✭✭
    Over time playing fighting games the things you like in characters will be more obvious and you just go to it right away because it will likely get you more wins

First I find a handful of characters who look cool and have cool looking moves. Then Id I see which of those actually fits my style (I like characters with a good pressure game myself). Then, finally, out of the characters left over I pick who ever has good movement, because with good movement options I won't have fun playing them at all.

Of course, if you find multiple characters that fit it's probably best to force your self to stick with one or two of them
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    I choose characters based on prior skill from previous games. If I've played them in previous games and liked them there's 80% chance I'll use them again.

Secondly would be design. I don't really main or sub anyone who looks boring.

Lastly would be the archetype. I don't really care much for grapplers and they would be the least likely type of fighting style I would choose outside of Tekken and DoA. I find myself liking atleast 1 ninja character from most games and of course one buxom babe.

My mains and subs remain a mixed bag between many games.
    Liberalism is a mental disease.
    That's sick dude, good to see another member of the Melee community.
    Link does have some options on Melee despite what everyone says in my opinion. Luigi just seems horrible compared to Mario and most of the cast to me. And of course..... Falco is godlike. haha
    Link on Brawl is better then most people think and players like Izaw prove that. Enough about Melee though, let's save the Melee talk for the Smash Bros section.
    Wait what? There's a Smash Bros. section? Link to it please?
    Hm... well I've been trying out new characters in AE and while I will of course be sticking to Yang and one of my characters, I've been liking Guile a lot. Good normals, very defensive, balanced moveset, and he's pretty good overall. However, I'm not too used to charging. I looked up some Guile videos and they were firing Sonic Booms whenever they wanted and could fire them really quickly. How do you do that? And how is Guile overall? Any other character reccomendations?
  • huckles98huckles98 Joined: Posts: 668
    If you're new to the genre, I'd watch high level match vids of a few different games. Look for stuff that looks fun to you. Go from there.

Be wary about this ^^. Don't set yourself up for failure by overly analyzing top level matches and players. So many people start out with this idea in their head that they need to learn top level shit from the start and they get frustrated and quit. Just pick a game with enough competition and most of all that you enjoy playing. Don't get super concerned over whether or not a character is "viable" or top tier, find someone you like and have fun with it.
  • DugTheFreshestDugTheFreshest Joined: Posts: 249
    Looks and sounds. Then, tier. If i find out my main is op, most cases, ill drop him. Sf4 was ryu, switched to gen. Jin hugo in xtekken, switched to jin yosh/lei.

Akira will never get switched though, baji quan is my favorite martial art. Same goes for leo, and gen fu.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    youtube.com/dugthefreshest
    XBL ManTan
    PSN dugthefreshest
  • SnakeheartSnakeheart Joined: Posts: 14
    Hi, I've been trying lately to get better at fighting games. I have no idea which game to pick, character to choose, nothing. I have a fightstick, etc. but I just have no idea what to do. How did you guys pick which game to main? How did you pick which character to play?

Well, I like to play a variety of games (Madden, Call of Duty, etc) and I generally like to play a variety of fighting games as well. (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel, Tekken.) When I started going to some local tournaments and learning where I stood, I decided that I would much rather spend time with Marvel. After getting better at Marvel, I did find it a bit random and frustrating at times, and now I have a new appreciation for Street Fighter and I'm currently trying to get better at SSF4: AE2012.

Just pick what game you like the most as far as which one to main. As far as characters, in some games I'll just pick who I like, and others I'll pick top tier, or "easy to learn" characters.
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,508 mod
    Be wary about this ^^. Don't set yourself up for failure by overly analyzing top level matches and players. So many people start out with this idea in their head that they need to learn top level shit from the start and they get frustrated and quit. Just pick a game with enough competition and most of all that you enjoy playing. Don't get super concerned over whether or not a character is "viable" or top tier, find someone you like and have fun with it.
    I think you're misunderstanding me. I didn't tell him to analyze matches. I told him to look for stuff that "looks fun".
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    I think you're misunderstanding me. I didn't tell him to analyze matches. I told him to look for stuff that "looks fun".

You're right. At any rate it might look fun but he can't honestly expect to play at that level in the conceivable future. Given his current skill level he probably wouldn't know a third of what he was looking at anyway. Maybe try different characters until he finds one that is fun.
    I think I must have said it wrong, really above I should have said which fighting game is the best. Which is most balanced, most fun, etc. See, I have no idea how to pick. I'm looking for slower games, not crazy games where you have to be able to pull of 100 hit combos to win. Third Strike Online, HD Remix, and VF5 Final Showdown all look cool but I don't know any of the facts about it. Does anyone play online in any of those? Which is most balanced? Which is most fun? I'm willing to try any of the three, since I've heard good things about them.
    If you are new and based on those criteria just get AE. Only really diehards left on SF3, I have trouble finding matches on HDR.

I won't turn away any potential 3rd strike player though. It's my personal favorite. As far as finding someone close to your skill level on 3S vs on AE though...
    If you are new and based on those criteria just get AE. Only really diehards left on SF3, I have trouble finding matches on HDR.

I won't turn away any potential 3rd strike player though. It's my personal favorite. As far as finding someone close to your skill level on 3S vs on AE though...
    (I play PS3 by the way) Most of my fighting games on PS3 are now outdated. The three I guess biggest games I have are vanilla Marvel 3, SC4, and AE. AE is pretty much the only game I can play. I heard that those three are good so I want to expand my choices and not just have one game to play. I haven't tried out HDR yet, but I heard that it's good but if the online community is small the I guess I'd use that as a last resort. I have tried out Third Strike and I had a lot of fun, but I don't really get how the game works, if that makes any sense. Is it faster than 2 and 4? Does it focus on combos? Do you need the execution of a KOF game? Stuff like that. I do know that the learnig curve is high, but I'd be willing to get better at it. It's a lot of fun from what I've played and I've got to get used to my fightstick too. But how's Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown? I've never played a VF game before so I know nothing about it. While I do play more 2D fighters, I have played some Soul Calibur so 3D fighters aren't too foreign. But is it kind of like Tekken? I've played some Tekken before and while it was fun, it was a little too fast and reliant on juggling, so it was just ok, but not great.
  • KarimlooKarimloo Joined: Posts: 604
    If you're in it to win. Play top tiers.

If you like the artistic side, characters, stories, pick the appealing character and enjoy it. Maybe you'll even get good with them and contest with top tiers. Probably not.
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    If you're in it to win. Play top tiers.

If you like the artistic side, characters, stories, pick the appealing character and enjoy it. Maybe you'll even get good with them and contest with top tiers. Probably not.

depends on the game.
    Capcom fighters can have some pretty unbalanced rosters. For instance, SF2 CE often boils down to Guile/Bison in top matches in the tournaments that still go on

Other games have more balanced rosters.
    Take vf5fs for example.
    Now granted, you have some HUGE advantages with top tier characters like Akira or Taka. But in vf5 you are likely to see every character and every character has a good amount of options. Jean kujo is a C tier character, but when used properly he can compete at any level.
    A counterpoint to this is Eileen, who despite having lots of combo/damage options, is the lightest character in the game.

As for the op- try and play what you like. Both character and game wise. If something doesn't work, change it up.
    Don't like fireballs? 2d fighters may not be for you.

I'll give you a small breakdown of each of the popular fighters out now.

SF4- kinda slow compared to a lot of sf. Lots of link (like c. mp>c. mp) combos. Online can be very disheartening and scrubby. It's a mixed bag. At high levels it can be very footsie based but also very based on vortexes and crazy mixups (seth, viper). Offline is best unless you have a good connection to good players. Oldschool techniques like piano keying don't work. 1v1. some people take damage on purpose just so they can ultra. lot of very 4-series specific things and technicalities like jump-in unblockable attacks and the huge abundance of safe jumps/option selects. huge amount of matchups/characters for an sf title.

KOF13- Great game, not so great online on ps3 if you are american. You'll need to find some buddies. Poking (single strike attacking/spacing) isn't that great in terms of your ground pokes, so this game has short hops/hyper hops to make poking from the air more accessible. Every character is used even in tournament play, although the tier list is starting to solidify. You can do a lot of things you cannot do in sf, such as use standing lows and comboing into command throws among other goodies. It's a very momentum based game and what has been called an "honest" game (no ultras, focuses etc. lots of custom combo and super meter though). 3v3. no tagging, once on is ko'd another comes in.

P4- an anime game based in a Guilty Gear type engine. Lots of air dashing etc. with a varied cast.

umvc3- slower and more combo (as opposed to infinite/zoning/reset) oriented than 2. more zoning oriented than vanilla 3. crazy combos and off the wall mixups (forced choice tactics, guess wrong and you lose a ton of life) abound. currently morrigan/doom dominate. 3v3 characters, with assists and tagging in/out.

skullgirls- a game made in the vein of mvc2 and guilty gear. adopts systems from other games, notably the ratio system from cvs2 so that you can pick the number of characters on your team. 8 characters only like world warrior. patches are free. small but dedicated fanbase, under-appreciated imo.

VFfs- shamefully not popular in the usa. A 3d fighter that's very much about rushdown mixups but also fundamentals. Very fast unless both players have superb defense, but a short time limit and high damage don't allow for drawn out matches. stepping/dashing system may take a little time but it's not as complicated as Tekken's. Knowing frames and system intracacies can help a lot.

TTT2- Tekken Tag Tourney 2. Tekken is more street fightery to me than vf. There's automatic high block and less crazy inyourface/mixup. Tekken is very much about simple mixups and poking, along with knowing the frame data and how to exploit the movement systems to a T. Can be very fun though. Large cast, huge combos. One mistimed move though and it's lights out. More popular in the west than VF. Movelists are large but generally players only use some of the moves. Expect a grind though.

Guilty gear AC- Rush. Down. A very honest anime style game with references to metal music everywhere. The system may seem complex but you'll get used to it.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,381 mod
    I can see that you main Abel, so i'm not surprised. But yeah my description sounds a little like a shoto whore already. Lol

sounds like you wanna play a shoto but you are caught up in some stupid anti shoto mindset
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    I'm going to put my other answer in a seperate post.
    This is related to character choice. Pick what suits you.

Characters in fighters
    Zoners- these are the guys that rely on fireballs/ projectiles on screen to force the opponent. Sagat and Guile are pure zoning characters. mostly a 2d fighting archetype.

Mixup/Rushdown- these guys arguably had their start with St vega. Generally they want to knock you down and put you in lose-only sorta win situations. these include characters like fuerte and seth/viper in sf4. everyone likes to mix up in vf in their own way, some more than others. In anime games most characters want to mix up/rushdown unless they primarily a zoner. A prime example of this duality exists in the current meta of UMVC3.

Fundamental do it-alls- Hi, Ryu. These characters may belong to more than one archetype and generally are designed to handle multiple situations. Ryu is a primary (and perhaps the very first) example of this. In Tekken, you have the Mishimas and in Vf you have the always top tier Akira and the sometimes top tier Kage.

Grapplers- These are kind of a subset/pregenitor of mixup characters. They focus mainly on grabbing but have a hard time getting in. Once they are in they are capable of ridiculous setups and grab mixups for insanely high damage. The archetypal grappler that pretty much all the others are at least slightly based on is Zangief. In VF you have Goh, Jeffrey, and Wolf. In Kof there are the Ikari Warriors, Shermie, Vice, and Goro. In Tekken you have the Kings.

Fusion/Variation- A combination of multiple types that may make a new type all together. Seth is a good example of this although he leans towards rushdown setups. There are a lot of mix and match type characters. Some of the do-it-alls could fall under here. Kof games really like to mix-and-match. Mature for instance is both a zoning character with a huge fireball and a rushdown character with rekka-ken like slashes. There are also variations on existing types, such as ken/akuma/gouken/sakura/oni, which are variations on Ryu's character. There are a lot of these in SF and fighters in general.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    sounds like you wanna play a shoto but you are caught up in some stupid anti shoto mindset
    sound's like that? F*** the people with the anti shoto mindset, along with the anti capcom kids. Naw man i play whoever i want, a few hate messages arent going to stop me! =D Naw it's just cause Shoto's seem to plain.
    Dude every time i see you post, i feel like watching Kuroda 3rd Strike videos o_O
    XBL/PSN/Steam- iYorKeY

I'm going to put my other answer in a seperate post.
    This is related to character choice. Pick what suits you.

Characters in fighters
    Zoners- these are the guys that rely on fireballs/ projectiles on screen to force the opponent. Sagat and Guile are pure zoning characters. mostly a 2d fighting archetype.

Mixup/Rushdown- these guys arguably had their start with St vega. Generally they want to knock you down and put you in lose-only sorta win situations. these include characters like fuerte and seth/viper in sf4. everyone likes to mix up in vf in their own way, some more than others. In anime games most characters want to mix up/rushdown unless they primarily a zoner. A prime example of this duality exists in the current meta of UMVC3.

Fundamental do it-alls- Hi, Ryu. These characters may belong to more than one archetype and generally are designed to handle multiple situations. Ryu is a primary (and perhaps the very first) example of this. In Tekken, you have the Mishimas and in Vf you have the always top tier Akira and the sometimes top tier Kage.

Grapplers- These are kind of a subset/pregenitor of mixup characters. They focus mainly on grabbing but have a hard time getting in. Once they are in they are capable of ridiculous setups and grab mixups for insanely high damage. The archetypal grappler that pretty much all the others are at least slightly based on is Zangief. In VF you have Goh, Jeffrey, and Wolf. In Kof there are the Ikari Warriors, Shermie, Vice, and Goro. In Tekken you have the Kings.

Fusion/Variation- A combination of multiple types that may make a new type all together. Seth is a good example of this although he leans towards rushdown setups. There are a lot of mix and match type characters. Some of the do-it-alls could fall under here. Kof games really like to mix-and-match. Mature for instance is both a zoning character with a huge fireball and a rushdown character with rekka-ken like slashes. There are also variations on existing types, such as ken/akuma/gouken/sakura/oni, which are variations on Ryu's character. There are a lot of these in SF and fighters in general.
    I don't like grapplers. In fact, they give me the most trouble to fight against in AE.
    Play as one (a grappler) for a week so you learn to exploit their weaknesses. You're going at this one dimensionally. It's not an Mmo. You don't have to pick one character and one game and expect to "level up" with him/her. Play around with them all. Don't start out trying to learn top tech shit either (not saying you are). I did what you are doing now when I started and I got fed up and quit. Now I play once a week, grab a character and roll with it. Guess what, I still win. I'm not pro, or even good, but I still get wins and have fun rolling out gouki then Vega then Makoto then jumping games for a bit to mix it up.
    Oh, anyone who's online, I'm replacing buttons in a Brawlstick and my hands keep slipping so I can't remove the connectors. Any help?
    Oh, anyone who's online, I'm replacing buttons in a Brawlstick and my hands keep slipping so I can't remove the connectors. Any help?

Wrong thread to post. Use needle nose pliers, or cover your fingers with a rag.
    Woops, yeah wrong forum. I used a screwdriver, worked really well. All seimitsu now (except for R2 and L2). But anyways, I got Third Strike. It is... amazing! I like it better than AE so far. The speed and mechanics and stuff feel... right. And Ryu has that awesome wall bounce kick thing from MvC3 and SFxT. But anyone who has played Third Strike a lot, can you give me a brief description of the characters (who's a grappler, who's rushdown, etc).
    Woops, yeah wrong forum. I used a screwdriver, worked really well. All seimitsu now (except for R2 and L2). But anyways, I got Third Strike. It is... amazing! I like it better than AE so far. The speed and mechanics and stuff feel... right. And Ryu has that awesome wall bounce kick thing from MvC3 and SFxT. But anyone who has played Third Strike a lot, can you give me a brief description of the characters (who's a grappler, who's rushdown, etc).

You should probably head to the 3s forums and poke around in there, or watch youtube tutorials for more in-depth information on that game.
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    Woops, yeah wrong forum. I used a screwdriver, worked really well. All seimitsu now (except for R2 and L2). But anyways, I got Third Strike. It is... amazing! I like it better than AE so far. The speed and mechanics and stuff feel... right. And Ryu has that awesome wall bounce kick thing that they gave back to him in MvC3 and SFxT. But anyone who has played Third Strike a lot, can you give me a brief description of the characters (who's a grappler, who's rushdown, etc).

Corrected.
    KOF XIII: Kula/Iori/Kim
    SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/WFF-AirLancer
    If you're in the NYC area and want to play some KOF XIII, hit me up!
  • CapoeiraMataUmCapoeiraMataUm Forca Rara Joined: Posts: 93

If I like a character's style I use them. If a game has someone who does capoeira I'll use them. I'm also a big fan of long range poke type characters so I find a character with normals I like and then pick them.
    In a team based game like Marvel it's a bit more complicated but... I love X-23 and Dr. Doom. Like I said above, I love poke type characters so I picked Hawkeye. It's that simple really
  • DramatixDramatix Bullshit at your convenience. Joined: Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭
    I simply go by appearances, mainly possessing grace and elegance. If not that, then they'll most likely look badass.

Tekken - The Williams Sisters
    Soul Calibur - Setsuka, Hilde
    SSBB - Peach, Samus
    DOA - Helena, Lei-Fang
    P4A - Mitsuru, Chie, Yukiko
    SF - Rose
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    So someone has seen the light?
    Yep. Third Strike is awesome
    Yep, well I've tried the whole cast of both AE and Third Strike and I've found a couple characters I like. In AE, like I said before, I love Yang. The other ones that I found that I like is kind of tied between Evil Ryu and Akuma. I like Evil Ryu's Axe Kick and the fact that he has more health but I also like the fact that Akuma has two Raging Demons and his Zanku Hadokens but I don't like his low health. So, I'm deciding between those two. In 3S, I don't like Yun, Yang, Chun, or Ken. So far, I'm having trouble deciding who I like better but so far Ryu, Akuma, Oro, and Urien is ok too. Any suggestions?
    Just keep playing, don't try to force it.

Play the game not the character.
    Well, after playing more AE and 3S, I've found some characters I like. Evil Ryu was kinda... meh so I dropped him. But, as of now, my favorites in AE are Yang, Ibuki, and Juri. I'm still trying to grasp 3S, so I'm using Ryu and Yang to learn. Yang feels kinda different in 3S though. But before I pick a character, I need to learn all of the stuff in 3S (I can barely parry). But yes, I'm learning.
    Keep playing different people. Try different things. If you play as character for a while you learn generally what their gameplan is, this is better than just playing against that character. Are you playing on X360 or PS3 or GGPO?