Deciding on a fighting game (SF series)

BlindFoldedBlindFolded Joined: Posts: 5
Hi guys,

I own both SSF4AE and SFxT on PC, but finding players of my skill level and area (NA - Canada) is often a challenge, due to the fact that the online community is very small. In SFxT I can't find ANYONE at all, and in SSF4AE I often find myself fighting players well above my rating. Just to give you an idea, today I fought this guy that was ranked #7 BP wise. Let's not get into details, but it didn't go all that well for me.

Anyways, I bought a PS3 the other day mainly for fighting games, and I am still deciding on which SF game to get. I mainly play RYU and KEN , or characters with similar move sets (SAGAT,SAKURA,DAN,etc). I am looking for a somewhat balance game, with a large community, and that it won't take me years to master. If SFxT is in any shape or form like the PC version (regarding the technical difficulties), I won't even consider it.

PS: Let me mention that I own SC5, and MK9. I heard persona 4 arena was a good game, but I am not sure about it. I grew up playing some street fighter, and quite a bit of SNK vs Capcom (1 and 2). Anyways, ideas and thoughts are appreciated it.

Comments

• littlescumbaglittlescumbag Joined: Posts: 295
    SFxT is in general a dead game and especialy on PC ... nofuckingone plays this game on pc !!!
    SSF4 AE has a great community on all platforms ... at the moment i prefer the pc comunity over the psn but every platform is good...tons of players everywhere

TTT2 is also very popular at the moment as are KOF XIII and UMvsC3

so if you wannt fighting game go for : 1) TTT2 on ps3
    2) UMvsC3 on xbox360
    3)KOF XIII (well i dont know what is the main platform for this game)
    4) and offcourse for SSF4 AE on any platform since its the most popular and the best FG
    GFWL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

XBL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

PSN : LittleScumbag : stoped playing here

Steam : LittleScumbag : failing to improve at KOF here
  • doubleohdoubleoh Joined: Posts: 258
    SSFIV:AE on the 360. If not that, at least make sure you don't get SFxT on PC. Biggest mistake of my life.
    SSFIVAE: Abel
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic キコケン Joined: Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    battle points, especially on the PC version of AE mean absolutely nothing.

Not only is the PC community not that good with the exception of a few gems here and there, its prone to people who "hack" the game, or just play against dummies and rack up points. I played a T Hawk who had like a million points and he was mashing ultra from full screen.
    Xbox live, GFWL and GGPO:Necrotrophic
    Chun Li (SF4, ST, 3s), Akuma (SF4), Ryu (SF4,ST, 3s), Cammy (SF4, ST)
    youtube.com/necrotrophic
  • BlindFoldedBlindFolded Joined: Posts: 5
    battle points, especially on the PC version of AE mean absolutely nothing.

Not only is the PC community not that good with the exception of a few gems here and there, its prone to people who "hack" the game, or just play against dummies and rack up points. I played a T Hawk who had like a million points and he was mashing ultra from full screen.

So i just bought SSF4 (not the arcade edition) for the PS3, and it feels as empty as the PC version... wtf. Is the community divided between the regular version and AE? I mean i find people online easily, but often a lot better than me. Not only that, but I have to get used to a PS3 controller now... I think I just wasted $15.
    So i just bought SSF4 (not the arcade edition) for the PS3, and it feels as empty as the PC version... wtf. Is the community divided between the regular version and AE? I mean i find people online easily, but often a lot better than me. Not only that, but I have to get used to a PS3 controller now... I think I just wasted $15.

Xbox live has the most activity. But you shouldnt expect to play SSF4 online much (even on xbox live). Sorry dude, you can still upgrade to AE 2012 from super, just goto the psn store or whatever its called. If you want to play online, you NEED it to be arcade edition. The only reason people still buy copies of super is because its usually extremely cheap, and then you can upgrade to AE from psn. For 15 bucks you could have bought the physical copy of AE.

I wouldnt be surprised if ssf4(not AE) is less populated than the PC version
    youtube.com/necrotrophic
  • VerstandeVerstande Joined: Posts: 324
    Street fighter 3: Third Strike

I bought that game solely because of the announcer, that's how good the game is.
    what the hell are you talking about??? pc has tons and tons of activity ... much more than the ps3 version

sorry,but when was the last time you played AE on pc??? cause i own SF4 AE for all platforms but decided to main the pc version since its the best
    GFWL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

XBL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

buy arcade edition , no1 plays super anymore!!!

• The MartianThe Martian Web Designer. Joined: Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Power is not will. It is the phenomenon of physically making things happen."

PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
    WiiU ID: IIMartianII
    XBL: III Martian III

My Tumblr.
    3DS Code: 4957-4227-9462

before you again start spreading bullshit against the pc community , just go to the last post :
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-is-ssf4aes-pc-community.172746/

• IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    every fighting game that is any good will take years to master

from the sound of your post it seems like you just want to play SSF4. your criteria only really matches that game.
    what the hell are you talking about??? pc has tons and tons of activity ... much more than the ps3 version

sorry,but when was the last time you played AE on pc??? cause i own SF4 AE for all platforms but decided to main the pc version since its the best
    It has "some" activity, no where near xbox live, and when you consider how the PC version has a much more international user base than the console versions, its really not a good option when it comes to lag (for USA players, because I find it matches me with Europeans far more often). Not to mention, the competition is notoriously bad, its not even just me saying this. I made an exception for a few people here and there that are good, and thats all it deserves.

also, your post with the image means nothing. One instance does not equal a real statistic.
    youtube.com/necrotrophic
  • BlindFoldedBlindFolded Joined: Posts: 5

Well to be honest recently (today specifically) I noticed A LOT of more newbie players, specially from the UK, which amazingly enough had great connections. The things is, this was during the day (Canada Eastern) I didn't go to school today, so maybe if I were to play right now, the competition would be either international or hardcore players. If all of the sudden there was a boost on the PC's player base, then I just wasted $30 by buying it for my PS3. Anyways, are there any newbie clubs I can join?

UPDATE: Right now, (9PM) there are almost no ppl from NA or the UK close to my skill level. But I checked on the PS3, and it seems less empty.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    It has "some" activity, no where near xbox live, and when you consider how the PC version has a much more international user base than the console versions, its really not a good option when it comes to lag (for USA players, because I find it matches me with Europeans far more often). Not to mention, the competition is notoriously bad, its not even just me saying this. I made an exception for a few people here and there that are good, and thats all it deserves.

also, your post with the image means nothing. One instance does not equal a real statistic.

but still, competition suffices for him to enjoy the game and get better. and most importantly, faster loading times, better resolution, no need to switch disks and controller of his choice. if he gets that good, he can buy the Xbox version.

SFxTekken will probably become popular again in 6 months, when the patch is released and new DLC.
    not good at any, mediocre at many
    if he gets that good, he can buy the Xbox version.
    man if you talking about me , i own the game for all 3 platforms

• petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    No I was referring to the TC.
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,807 mod
    Not surprising because SSFIV on PC has a population of exactly 0 (zero). Why, because Super SFIV for PC doesn't exist (they went from vanilla and went straight to AE almost 2 years later).
    Not surprising because SSFIV on PC has a population of exactly 0 (zero). Why, because Super SFIV for PC doesn't exist (they went from vanilla and went straight to AE almost 2 years later).
    Than the PC version of ae
    youtube.com/necrotrophic
  • Ex3cut3rEx3cut3r Joined: Posts: 107
    I have no problem, to find matches at any given time on PC, but I live in europe ( Germany). For amercians it should be harder to find matches, because they usally dont play that much on PC anymore, they love their Xbox :p
    GFWL: PfadEx3cut3r - Dictator - Rose: Skill level: 6/10
  • Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 189

He specifically said NOT AE. Reported for trolling.

SF4:AE is pretty popular on PS3 and 360 but I dunno about PC

TTT2 is popular right now but I don't know about staying power. These games never really kept me interested for long but I'm also horrible at Tekken

3S has it's online community but you probably won't find many people playing it offline or at arcades. The problem with this game is that if you're just starting you are going to have a massive learning curve because everyone online has likely been playing for 10 years now. I still think it's the best SF game out there.

ST/ ST:HDR an oldie but a goodie. I can't find anyone online (PS3) to play with but there are dudes in the arcades around here.

I usually base my decision on offline/arcade following in my area and is online play at least decent most the time.
    MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.