Newbie Friendly Characters

MilktownMilktown Joined: Posts: 14
Hello,
I'm gonna grab this game up very soon and I'm wondering if Zero is an easy character to play (easy combos to pull of, etc). And if he is, what easy characters synergises well with him?

Comments

• lawlHTlawlHT youtube player Joined: Posts: 535
    Zero takes a reasonable amount of execution to do his optimal combos, but his actual neutral game isn't terribly hard to pick up. His best partner character, however, (Dante) takes a lot of dedication and practice to use. I'm not sure if this alters your decision to play him, but it's something to keep in mind.

as far as newbie friendly characters go, Wolverine, Wesker, Vergil, Doom (takes some getting used to), Hulk, Taskmaster, Captain America, and Sentinel are probably your best bet.
    PSN: lawlHT
    UMVC3: Frauderbrand/Super Skrub/Trollmaster -currently learning: Dante, Dormammu-
    P4 Arena: Mitsuru, Labrys - Skullgirls: Filia - SSF4:AE2012: Sakura
  • MilktownMilktown Joined: Posts: 14
    Thanks for responding! Would Vergil as point and Taskmaster + Wesker as assist synergise well?
    Vergil/Wesker/Taskmaster would be a solid newbie team to learn on. Vergil gets the OTG he wants, and both Vergil and Wesker get a horizontal assist to help with teleport mixups. Task isn't the best anchor, or even a very good one by any means, but his assist is good and he can clean up reasonably well.
    UMVC3: Frauderbrand/Super Skrub/Trollmaster -currently learning: Dante, Dormammu-
    Do you think I should exchange Taskmaster for someone else then?
    Strider or Doom are good choices for that team. Strider isn't newbie friendly if you try playing him for real (as in, not just Ouroborous XF3 and mash) but Vergil/Strider can put the opponent in a 50/50 mixup from anywhere on the screen, so it's got its perks.

Doom isn't a great anchor theoretically, but people still get hit by random Foot Dive, so that's always an option too.
    Strider looks pretty complicated, and doom looks pretty fun to play :P thanks for your help, you've been very helpful! :)
  • SottleSottle Joined: Posts: 364
    Doom is actually one of the least noob friendly characters unless you're content just to beat the absolute bottom tier of players.
    UMVC3: Nova/Frank/Ammy, Nova/Doom/Ammy,
    XBL: Sottle
    Looking for players in South Coast UK.
    No, I'm not content just beating bottom tier players :P If Doom is really hard who would u recommend for Vergil/Wesker
  • RokmodeRokmode preppy asked me to change my title rip meaty mud flap Joined: Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strider is your best bet imo. It's an extremely scrubby assist attached to a somewhat difficult character. The thing is, once you have xfactor+level 3 with strider, he becomes derp.
    THIS WEBSITE SUCKS GIANT HORSE @#$@#$@!@$
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭
    Zero is a moderately (but not extremely) n00b friendly character, but if you are starting on this game I wouldn't recommend you to pick him because using him with n00b friendly mash jump H/easy mode crossups with lightning tactics wouldn't teach you the fundamentals of this game. Things like spacing, when to call assists, air throws, movement, etc. If you start off playing this game with herp derp brain dead characters and assists you'll likely to stay a crappy player forever.

Characters like Cap, Wesker, Task, Deadpool, Doom and Nova who are more all rounded are probably more suitable for n00bs to learn the game with. Having 1 of either Zero or Vergil is alright but I wouldn't recommend both.
  • Din0Din0 Retired Joined: Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Doom is a strange case in that he's actually not very hard to play at all but when you first try him out, he feels incredibly different than any other character in the game so its difficult to make that adjustment. Once you got down his somewhat strange dash cancels and how his combos work, you'll rarely ever drop anything.
    Magneto/Doom/Dante | Magneto/Doom/Phoenix | Dante/Vergil/Magneto
    PSN: davidyes
  • GameHovaGameHova O.N.I.F.C. Joined: Posts: 558
    One of my thoery zero team - Zero, Doom (rock), Trish (low voltage)

easy character Cap, Vergil, Frank no character is easier than this three *capcom why vergil*
    Doom is not noob friend until you learn the game itself.
    IRONMAN/DORMAMMU/STRANGE
    Vergil/Wesker/Hawkeye
  • YawDanYawDan Joined: Posts: 544 ✭✭
    There was a thread similar to this before (easiest execution characters) and it got shut down, so I have the feeling the same will happen to this one unfortunately.

Still, I would say Zero was a more intermediate character with some advance technicality to use him optimally (and he's still yet to win a major). He has some simple basic combos, and his normal moves are better than a majority of the cast, so he would give you the advantage over other beginners. As you get used to him and the game, your technical abilities will increase and so will your proficiency in using him and you'll eventually be able to move on to his higher execution techniques (namely the lightening loops, which makes him so dangerous as he can TOD- touch of death, which is kill a character of one hit).

I would say the most beginner friendly characters are Wolverine, Wesker and Vergil, as they're extremely effective yet simple. Characters like Sentinel, Captain America, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Haggar, Iron Fist are really easy to use, however they're not as effective as the first 3 I mentioned.

As far as making a team goes, Sentinel, Hawkeye, Taskmaster and Strider are among the easier assists to employ.
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
    So some of you are saying Strider, I guess I could try Vergil/Wesker/Strider until I learn the game and then switch to a zero team after a couple of weeks.
  • [Chrono][Chrono] Jackpot! Joined: Posts: 410
    There are a lot of characters that are good for new players, i recommend you to use a more ''solid team'' instead of a ''cheap team'', this means that you should use characters that are easy to learn and can help you to learn the basics, call assists properly, DHCs, Throws, Mixups,TAC,etc. but you shouldn't use team with good and easy characters to learn because you will start winning but when facing players with good fundamentals and that know how the game works your team will be crushed unless you know what you are doing, i recommend you to use characters like Captain America, Ryu, Hawkeye at first and stay away from the top assists like Drones,Vajra or Jam Session and use instead solid ones like Arrows or Beams(who are still top assists but they require you to use a little more strategy than just mashin the assist button)
    UMVC3 Main Teams: Vergil-y/Dante-b/Hawkeye-a ll Task-a/Dante-a/Felicia-a ll Dorm-y/Dante-a/Sentinel-a ll Dante-a/Morrigan-y/Doom-b llll UMVC3 Secondary Teams: Chris-a/Dante-a/Phoenix-b ll Wesker-b/Dante-y/Haggar-a
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Joined: Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    Why no Ryu and Akuma? In any case, I'd go with Task/Sentinel/Akuma. Very solid, simple team to start with. The only time you really would have a problem would be fighting Trish, MODOK, or a defensive Doom.
    [quote="just5moreminutes;8594904"][b]"By the end of 2014, the Marvel community will be dead. People will still play it in casuals, since the game has that factor to it, but the release of newer, shiner, readily available anime fighters will rip the spotlight off Marvel entirely."[/b][/quote]
    Why no Ryu and Akuma? In any case, I'd go with Task/Sentinel/Akuma. Very solid, simple team to start with. The only time you really would have a problem would be fighting Trish, MODOK, or a defensive Doom.

I think it is more important for him to learn the basics of team building and properties of the game and then worrying about the matchups ,''you need to know you before you can know your opponent'' i am not saying matchups are not important, just that he waits to feel comfortable with the mechanics of the game, the characters he is gonna use, and then the characters he is gonna fight against.

Ryu,Hawk,Big boddies(Hulk,Sent,etc), Akuma, Captain America, Wolverine are all good options, stay away from characters like Dante/Viper/Firebrand/Magneto at the beginning(though i use Dante since the first day of vanilla but is because i fuckin love that nigga).
    UMVC3 Main Teams: Vergil-y/Dante-b/Hawkeye-a ll Task-a/Dante-a/Felicia-a ll Dorm-y/Dante-a/Sentinel-a ll Dante-a/Morrigan-y/Doom-b llll UMVC3 Secondary Teams: Chris-a/Dante-a/Phoenix-b ll Wesker-b/Dante-y/Haggar-a
  • WorstPlayerWorstPlayer Calm Yourself Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easiest characters for a noob to play?

Wesker
    Captain America
    Taskmaster
    Spencer

Lots of life so you may live if your opponent isn't optimal and do a shitload of damage for the simplest combos.
    They also don't just simply die to zoning.
  • BillBill Joined: Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    Why aren't people saying Dante? Is it because his optimal stuff is hard? That may be true but I feel like he's a character that you can easily win with just by doing the basics. The optimal stuff just turns him into behemoth. He has a really fast tracking teleport that can crossup no matter where the opponent is. His moves have crazy priority (one of the most important aspects of a character for those of us who are not high level players) and pretty much everything he has combos. He has minimal startup on most of his moves (another big + for casual players). And on top of that he is an amazing anchor--almost unbeatable for a lot of other characters---not to mention jam session is ridiculous. And I almost forgot--doesn't his air sword slam special have a lot of invincibility?!!!
    Why aren't people saying Dante? Is it because his optimal stuff is hard? That may be true but I feel like he's a character that you can easily win with just by doing the basics. The optimal stuff just turns him into behemoth. He has a really fast tracking teleport that can crossup no matter where the opponent is. His moves have crazy priority (one of the most important aspects of a character for those of us who are not high level players) and pretty much everything he has combos. He has minimal startup on most of his moves (another big + for casual players). And on top of that he is an amazing anchor--almost unbeatable for a lot of other characters---not to mention jam session is ridiculous. And I almost forgot--doesn't his air sword slam special have a lot of invincibility?!!!

Playing Dante at a basic level is like using Zero without his charged Bustesr, there is no point in it, his teleport is easily punishable if not done carefully or without assists, his combos are meant to build a lot of meter, but at a basic level you won't even do self-sufficient 700k combos with 1 bar, his fastest moves have 8f startup, and that by no means is fast, don't misunderstand me his s.L and Reverb Shock(the 8f startup moves) are both great, but you need to adjust the distance when doing them so you are not in range of trading or even worse getting hit and die, you need to be capable of mantaining the correct distance for them to be usable, and with the added pushback to Dante's normals you need to be even more careful, in a basic level you should not be able to Bold Cancel in reaction of a whiffed normal, meaning that alot of the times you will get punished, there are a lot of things that make Dante very complex for new players, why do you think there are not 15 or even 10 legit Dante's in very high level play?
  • WorstPlayerWorstPlayer Calm Yourself Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh I say "I play Jam Session" only because when I realized I had to actually "learn" Dante to play him even on anchor I was really insulting the character design. Basic level Dante is more advanced than advanced level Wesker with less payoff imo. Then again, who plays an advanced Wesker?
  • Bryanv2Bryanv2 BryanJ Joined: Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hell no.

Dante is an extremely hard character to master and to play right. Sure spamming Jump. S works versus really really bad players but even then his damage is ass without doing some more advanced stuff (And then its still ass). If youre truely new, getting used to a character that uses Bold cancels as BNBs is not a good starter char. + His teleport is sooo punishable and he has one of the slower normals in the game but makes up for it with range.

Tbh anyone but Viper/Dante/Magneto/Jill/Shuma/Hsien/w/e you should be OK with.

I would suggest a team with Drones, Sentinel has armor, does good damage, and his assist helps take pressure of your main game. I would say use free win missiles, but Doom can be kinda tough when actually on point. Your team Vergil/Wesker/Strider or hawkeye sounds great too.
    UMVC3: Main : Dante/Vergil/Strider (mag). Alt 1#: Wolverine/Dante/Akuma. Alt 2# Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye. Alt 3#: Wesker/Anything
    Bait Reversal Fighter 4 AE: Main: Ken - Alts: Akuma, Seth, Ibuki. (Low HP lets go ;_;)
    BB CS2: Bang (Meh..), Makoto, Platinum
    Tekken 6: Raven, Lars, King
    mmm I don't know about all the beginner dante hate. For one thing I strongly disagree with the idea that he can't do big damage for one bar easily at lower levels of play. I play a lot of team trenchcoat dante's on the 5th lord and lower level who routinely--without dropping-do 650K+ for one bar. That's nothing to sneeze at. And as far as his teleport being easy to punish...are you talking about offline? Because online--good luck with that. Yeah you might catch him once. But he'll cross you up 4 times for it--which leads into one of those 650K damage combos.
  • Bryanv2Bryanv2 BryanJ Joined: Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭
    mmm I don't know about all the beginner dante hate. For one thing I strongly disagree with the idea that he can't do big damage for one bar easily at lower levels of play. I play a lot of team trenchcoat dante's on the 5th lord and lower level who routinely--without dropping-do 650K+ for one bar. That's nothing to sneeze at. And as far as his teleport being easy to punish...are you talking about offline? Because online--good luck with that. Yeah you might catch him once. But he'll cross you up 4 times for it--which leads into one of those 650K damage combos.

Well yea thats true. Online I rarely get grabbed out of it lol. And yea his average combos are not that hard but its more about the neutral and getting used to his cancels. For that I would say he's not a beginner character like a Wesker or a Hulk or Cap who have extremely linear but effective (lower) gameplay especially online. And all those got 700 K+ ABC combos lol. Ive abused Dante derp online before tho lol
    UMVC3: Main : Dante/Vergil/Strider (mag). Alt 1#: Wolverine/Dante/Akuma. Alt 2# Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye. Alt 3#: Wesker/Anything
    Bait Reversal Fighter 4 AE: Main: Ken - Alts: Akuma, Seth, Ibuki. (Low HP lets go ;_;)
    BB CS2: Bang (Meh..), Makoto, Platinum
    Tekken 6: Raven, Lars, King

online means absolutely nothing. if you're trying to be serious about the game, learning online-only tactics will never make you better at the game, and attempting to pick up Dante before understanding basic fundamentals is a long, frustrating road to send a newbie down upon.
  • Rog-SothothRog-Sothoth The Nexus has trapped your soul Joined: Posts: 99
    Interesting that Doom is mentioned so much. He has some of the most awkward movement in the game that can be difficult to do in lag. He also loses pretty convincingly to a lot of characters when he's alone. Doom is pretty easy but only when you get used to the game in general, so he's great for the lower-mid level player, but not the total beginner.

I'd say Anyone/Wesker/Akuma is pretty newbie friendly. Easy damage with Wesker's assist, one of the best assists in the game, really good anchor with great damage output. Easy combos. It also allows you to slowly ramp up your skill by implementing more and more advanced Wesker combos/setups that aren't very execution heavy.
  • TragedyTragedy 天 Sage 天 Joined: Posts: 394
    Wesker/Strider is a good shell, even for online play. That's all I'm going to say. These kinds of threads always tend to turn into pissing contests, and my definition of newb-friendly always seems to be skewed from the normal thought anyway ^_^
    無の拳 Lex Talionis 無の拳 | "When dealing with stupid: let stupid win, pat them on the head, and save your sanity." -Tragedy | 0 respect for point Morrigan players
    /UMvC3\ - Primary: Maya*, Vergil, Dante* (Team Hellion: Mischievous, Troublesome, & Unruly)
    Secondary: Vergil, Wesker*, Hiryu | Tertiary: Zero*, Dormammu*, Dante* || Others: Gouki*, Jean Grey*, Phoenix*, Amaterasu*, Taskmaster*, Spencer*, Super Skrull*, Dr. Doom* | * = Played in Vanilla
    /SFIV\ - Mains: Gouki, ???, ??? | Backups: Maya, Oni, Juri, Decapre
  • JediLinkJediLink Has 100%'d Super Smash Bros Melee Joined: Posts: 719
    Dude, if you want to play Zero just play Zero. Pick characters you like.

EDIT: Also, you guys all suck. I can air throw Dante's ass online easily.
    UMvC3: Zero/Dante/Hiryu and Wright/Akuma/Hiryu
    Melee and Project M: Marth
  • HennyBlackHennyBlack Joined: Posts: 7
    Just use phoenix as point. She has good health.
    Just use phoenix as point. She has good health.

Ackbar_HS.jpg
  • J.DJ.D Fortune favors the prepared... Joined: Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can never Raw Teleport with Dante online.
    You always need cover.
    Twitter: @SRKJD
    XBL: TRUJD3S
    Fight For The Future!!
    The reason you see Dante's getting away with teleport online is nothing to do with it being hard to grab online and everything to do with most people online being terrible.
  • DensuoDensuo Winning by Timeout (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 6,759
    Stick with a character that forces you to play the game. Relying on XF3 is a stupid way to play, even if you are a beginner, that just invites you to turn your brain off.

A team like Vergil Wesker Task is fine since any of them can go on any position on the team.

Vergil on point gets more damage with Wesker OTG, can teleport mixup with Taskmaster. he can dhc out with either hyper from the other two with no issue, and can DHC in freely with DT or Gucci belt

Wesker can build meter and get extensions with Taskmaster in addition to teleport mixups and can do the same with Vergil's Rapid Slash. He can come in with Maximum Wesker for either of them or counter hyper if need be.

Taskmaster can zone and force people away with Vergil and cover him. if he gets a counter or sharp sting Wesker picks them up and Taskmaster goes to work.

Each character has enough derp to get you by without having to go full brainless. this team can work. Stick with it.
    Won El Fuerte's first and only Major, at Winter Brawl 7
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "You're right mang, Ken players need to start doing more 360 grabs." Shinroken
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
  • leafcolonelleafcolonel Apprentice of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭
    You guys think you are punishing Dante's teleport even offline? What you are punishing is the jS/jH's startup not the recovery of the teleport itself, and with something like Disruptor behind him it's completely safe. The recovery on his teleport is extremely minimal, try recording yourself punishing it in training mode using the visual cue only, It's not going to happen, this is why Dante players also get free air throws when they teleport too.

Most effective newbie friendly team imo is Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma, you can play Vergil with low execution stuff and still be effective.
    You guys think you are punishing Dante's teleport even offline? What you are punishing is the jS/jH's startup not the recovery of the teleport itself, and with something like Disruptor behind him it's completely safe.

We're talking about raw teleports here.
  • leafcolonelleafcolonel Apprentice of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭
    We're talking about raw teleports here.

Yes, Dante's raw teleport has that little recovery. Record it in training mode with him teching immediately(b+jH), you won't actually throw the teleport on reaction, the best you can do is throw the jH which is what sometimes happens normally if he doesnt cover it with an assist. That's not punishing the teleport itself.
    Yes, Dante's raw teleport has that little recovery. Record it in training mode with him teching immediately(b+jH), you won't actually throw the teleport on reaction, the best you can do is throw the jH which is what sometimes happens normally if he doesnt cover it with an assist. That's not punishing the teleport itself.

At some stage in the future I'm going to set the CPU to teleport and automatically break throws, and see if what you're saying is correct. Eventually.
  • IcemanIceman Joined: Posts: 1,364
    I just tried it. And he has a point. I won't say that it's 100% impossible to throw Dante out of his teleport, but it might be. And in order to throw him out of a teleport, you have to just predict it. I couldn't do it on reaction. And if you jump to soon, you won't get the air throw because the teleport will track your jump.
  • PatientShadowPatientShadow Joined: Posts: 13
    I use nova, captain, Sentinel or shuma... shuma and sent are good assist to get in with nova or captain on point. You could swap captain and nova on point and they have pretty good DHC capability. Im trying to switch to another team though. Been playing with ghost rider and deadpool, they are pretty fun to set up unblockables. I have over 100 hours online and im still a n00b... no local scene in birmingham alabama

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Lol I'm glad you posted this. I know I'm not good but I also know I'm not crazy. Honestly, I think Dante's teleport is one of the safest in the game. Now if you want to talk about a punishable teleport--Dormammu. Lol I've been hit by standing normals while teleporting with that slow unsafe thing.
    Deadpoool and Phoenix have even safer teleports than Dante.
  • ZangarZangar Joined: Posts: 135
    Can't believe only one person mentioned NOVA. Easiest. Character. Ever.
    Dash in H option select into a combo you can do with your eyes closed.
    I'm salty.
  • ErenEren Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 13,395 mod
  • ASIAN SEN5ATIONASIAN SEN5ATION The One 'N' Only! Joined: Posts: 62
    I think ammy (just solar flare), hulk and sentinel are all pretty easy to use.
    Danny "ASIAN SEN5ATION" Ngo :rock:
  • HitzelHitzel jump jump jump jump jump Joined: Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    I think ammy (just solar flare), hulk and sentinel are all pretty easy to use.
    I learned to play this game with derp Ammy + Sentinel Drones. It worked for me lol.

FC: 0731-4925-9217
    Trish / RR / Ammy
    High-level Halo 1 with commentary.
  • BigT232BigT232 Joined: Posts: 26
    So I'm looking to get into this game and was wondering some Noob friendly characters, I use a PS3 pad to play.

I'm a fan of Marvel characters so those would be preferable suggestions and I HATE Wesker and Vergil.
  • ASIAN SEN5ATIONASIAN SEN5ATION The One 'N' Only! Joined: Posts: 62
    I learned to play this game with derp Ammy + Sentinel Drones. It worked for me lol.
    what are you playing with now?
    Danny "ASIAN SEN5ATION" Ngo :rock:
  • HitzelHitzel jump jump jump jump jump Joined: Posts: 454 ✭✭✭