P4A: An Early Downfall?

Tye@lTye@l Plays every 2D beat-em-upJoined: Posts: 137
So I got back into P4A after a short hiatus thanks to college classes. Learning Yu and Naoto and been having a lot of fun with these two. But, I go online, and the body count is pretty low, even during 'peak hours' for Xbox Live. Could just be me, but I have a hard time finding anyone to play against or with. At least at my low level. And if I do find someone, they're A-S rank.

I won't say the game is dead, since it clearly has a strong fan base willing to keep it known in the FGC hive-mind, and it's making regular appearances at fighting game tourneys.

But why d'you think this game fell out of the spotlight so quick? Is it because it's an anime fighter? Because it's an Arc System Works game? Because Capcom fighters are just SO prominently marketed and players would rather stick with what they know best? After being thoroughly let down by the netcode in UMvC3 and SFxT, that should be a major selling point right there! It would be for me, since I don't have a local scene to hang out with.

Since I've only really been in the FGC for two years, and don't have as much experience, or the ability to articulate the how's and why's, I thought I'd pose this question and have a fun little discussion.
I may not be the most knowledgeable fighter, or the most experienced. But I like to help and offer whatever advice I can, when I can.

Comments

• wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 461
    PS3 online play is way more active
    PSN: wiredgod
    BB: Carl
    P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia
  • OnirosOniros Joined: Posts: 108
    This. Also, for some reason unknown to me, I heard a lot of players went back to CS Extend once BB Crono Phantasma was announced.
    P4A: Chie/GG: Jam/VSav: Q-Bee
    Rival Schools needs to come back!
  • Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 900
    ^ that and the fact the Guilty Gear finally came out (ps3...lucky 360 users got it early) probably had something to do with it.
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
  • Tye@lTye@l Plays every 2D beat-em-up Joined: Posts: 137

That's really weird that it's more active than 360. I just use my 360 by default, because PS3 is SO reliant on your own connection, and the short time I had SSF4 on PS3 I never seemed to get a good connection.

But, if it's stronger there, great! Hate to see this game slowly fade into obscurity for how awesome it is.
    I may not be the most knowledgeable fighter, or the most experienced. But I like to help and offer whatever advice I can, when I can.
  • CorreaCorrea HYPER CATINEL FORCE Joined: Posts: 177
    I've been playing PS3 online 3-4 times a week recently and there's usually a pretty decent amount of people on
    PSN: tcorrea
    P4A: Mitsuru
    UMVC3: Doom / Storm / Sentinel
  • MrgoodwilMrgoodwil Seeker of Truth Joined: Posts: 2
    Just got P4A. XBL seems to have about 1-3 player lobbies at any given time (East Coast USA). I've yet to see more than 16 people on at one time, and I see the same 7 people all the time. I kinda like it, it's like a small sub-sect who just plays this game, (especially since 50% are also newbies).
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 741
    That's really weird that it's more active than 360.

Anime fighers always have more players on PS3. Some Japanese games never get 360 releases, and PS3 is far and away the console of choice throughout Asia. I live in Hong Kong and I can't think of a single person with a 360. So unless you're playing SF, PS3 is probably the way to go.
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
    YOUTUBE | youtube.com/user/bchan009
    TWITTER | twitter.com/bchan009

• MoTheHawkMoTheHawk Just Fight. Joined: Posts: 170
    That's really weird that it's more active than 360. I just use my 360 by default, because PS3 is SO reliant on your own connection, and the short time I had SSF4 on PS3 I never seemed to get a good connection.

But, if it's stronger there, great! Hate to see this game slowly fade into obscurity for how awesome it is.

A lot of that probably has to do with brand recognition. A lot of P4A players are fans of the Persona RPGs, which only exist on Sony platforms.
    Check out our monthly MAXOUT tournaments in Kansas City - Twitch Channel - Twitter - Facebook Group - YouTube Channel
  • CheeseCakezCheeseCakez Joined: Posts: 10
    Gonna have to agree with most people here that PS3 has the more active players. I'm a major scrub and I still find other players at my level.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,109 mod
    P4A confirmed for EVO, now would be a great time to get people back into this game.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• rubixgrooverubixgroove Joined: Posts: 227
    Heylo P4A community,

Figured this would be a decent thread to post this in... I've managed to play P4A a few times, maybe a grand total of 15-20 minutes.
    I own a PS3 and have been contemplating picking this game up to add to the collection. Would anyone be interested in a showing
    a new player the ropes? I'm not new to fighting games at all, it'd just be the mechanics unique to P4A I would need some time with.

Going to be picking it up some time this week, probably this coming Tuesday.
    Posted here just so everyone can see that there's at least ONE potential new player. :)

Peace!
  • nihil679nihil679 Joined: Posts: 34
    Always up for helping out new players here. A lot of mechanics in P4A aren't exactly unique, if you play a wide array of fighting games, you'll see a lot of recognizable mechanics.
    @Nihil - I'm assuming you're also on PSN? I'm hoping to finish up this album before I hop into a new game! I may just ask my friend to borrow it so I can play at night after the studio, then pick it up once I found my first main. Add me ahead of time, I play a lil' of everything in the way of fighters (Dark Souls much? lulz).

Peace!
  • SUPARNOVAXSUPARNOVAX 必殺技 Joined: Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm switching over to ps3 more for p4a and skull girls lately. It's pretty active but it sucks because I already paid for 360 colors and glasses lol.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    "Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." ~ Bruce Lee
    Just picked the game up. PS3. Add "rubixgroove" when ever PSN comes back up.... /angryfist

Peace
    Anyone? C'mon. :D
    Not sure if this is a good choice or not (as far as popularity goes...) but I am "maining" Labrys for now. Not Shadow Labrys but OG, lil' robot homie Labrys. I am hoping she isn't a hyper-popular character, I tend to like the under dogs.
  • nihil679nihil679 Joined: Posts: 34
    Sorry, Sony was down for most of the day I was home yesterday and I went out about when it came back up. I'm pretty busy this weekend as well, but I'll try to get on on Tuesday to help you out.

Labrys isn't too popular, a decent choice though because her auto-combo is really beginner friendly (works well on ground and anti-air confirms). She can be played pretty simple or complex depending on preferences too, so that's a nice plus.
  • AnneIFrankAnneIFrank Joined: Posts: 428
    You can add me, it's just AnneIFrank. Labrys is a character I play a lot and love, but she has a serious shortcoming and can get frustrating.
    I am all for characters with short-commings. I'm a Chun main through and through... so, I'm part of the choir my broham. :P
  • AnneIFrankAnneIFrank Joined: Posts: 428
    The big one is her reversal is arguably useless and her moves are slow, so under pressure you get pretty messed up. Other than that she has good stuff.
    ^ Lulz... sounds a lot like Chun in SF4...
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    As far as popularity goes, the game is actually still just as active in the anime community. We lost pretty much all of the RPG/shinything players who we were going to lose anyways. Netplay seems to be more populated than GG/BB, so I would say it is far from dead.

I just bought a PS3 to get decent netplay for this and BBCP (and because Lightning is hot). There really is a world of difference from 360, so I'm not disappointed with my purchase at all. It's kind of interesting that a thread like this exists, because I actually think this is the most successful enterprise from the anime community into the mainstream FGC, and it's the gateway for successful transitions in the future. I really hope this game gets an update or a sequel just to strengthen our community even more.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
    Yeah, I'd like to see this game stick around. BB caught a lot of hate from players all over... GG gets hate from all the newbies who can't make a break into it. Seems like this game is perfectly accessible to anyone who actually wants to check it out.

@Celebrity - Add me on PSN (rubixgroove). I just started playing but am looking for a good crew to level up with... since there's none locally for me to do that with.

Holler!
  • HaeHeiHaeHei Joined: Posts: 9
    im new to this game and fighting games in general but ya this game is quite active, i always find a game on the ps3