Fuzzy Guard?

Rowdy_MuffinRowdy_Muffin Don't Cry. Cry. Cry. Try. Try. Try.Joined: Posts: 6
Whenever I hear this on UMVC3 or SSF4 streams I get lost instantly. Is there an explanation why they call it "fuzzy"?

Comments

• VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    In SF4 it's a glitch.

If you block something high and instantly crouch afterwards, your hurtbox will still be like it was as you were standing for a few frames.. meh this is hard to explain.
    Let me draw fancy stickman picture

hilbvoje.jpg

There!

On the left side, you see how it's normally: You stand, you have a standing hurtbox; You crouch, you have a crouching hurtbox.
    On the right side, you see the so called "fuzzy guard": A few frames after blocking/getting hit by something while standing, your hurtbox stays as the standing one, even if you're crouching.

What does this matter for?

Instant overheads.

Normally, if I stand right in front of you, and do like, a jump forward MP with Juri, there are two possible cases:
    1) You're standblocking: NP, it's a "jumpin" so you have to block high: Blocked!
    2) You're crouchbloching: NP, your hurtbox is too low! It will fly right over your head and just whiff.

However, a fuzzy guard break (that's the full term, which nobody uses for some reason), abuses the abovementioned mechanic:
    - I do a jumpin attack which you block, then I instantly hold upforward and press MP
    Now, normally after a jumpin you expect your opponent to do a low, so you're gonna press down to block my c.LK or whatever
    However, instead I'm jumping. You have to block jumpins high!
    In the case above it's useless because I will fly right over your head, but since your hurtbox is currently the same as if you were standing,
    the j.MP connects. And since you're blocking low, it hits. And allows me to cancel into Divekick and combo you for ONE BILLION DAMAGE.

P.S. This also works with meaty jump attacks on a characters wakeup, because a char always has to stand up for 1f after being knocked down or something dumb. You frequently see this used by Chuns and Adons mostly, who do a neutraljump/jumpforward whatever on the opponents wakeup and it connects even though it should've either whiffed or gotten blocked (commentators will usually shout "INNSTANT OUVARRHETT!!")

In 3D fighters (most notably used in SC I think?) it's something else, don't ask me what. No idea about UMvC3 either, but I'd assume it's the same thing as here.

E: Also it's called this way because, unlike what you'd expect (the crouchblock avoiding all options other than throw), it's an "incomplete" guard .. the game can't decide whether it wants you to crouch or stand, it's confused and kinda does both .. something along these lines :p
    Why.
  • Rowdy_MuffinRowdy_Muffin Don't Cry. Cry. Cry. Try. Try. Try. Joined: Posts: 6
    My mind is blown. Thank you for the explanation and the stick men were very helpful *not a sarcasm*.
  • AirkAirk Joined: Posts: 921 ✭✭
    This may be the best description of fuzzy guard I've ever seen. Nicely done.
  • ErawanErawan The tiger who swapped his stripes for spots Joined: Posts: 180
    The diagram definitely helps digest the concept a lot quicker for a lot of people. Love it.
    (Talking about Daigo) "i dont see how someone who is good at SF gets to be a celebrity because i bet theres plenty of people that would beat him that dont go to tournaments, and is he good at the megadrive version or the newer releases for ps3 and 360" - Comment by SpoilerAlert, Kotaku
    23 Aug 2011 3:32 AM
  • TurboTurbo Joined: Posts: 236
    And allows me to cancel into Divekick and combo you for ONE BILLION DAMAGE.

LOL!
  • Xr0s-upXr0s-up u wot m9 Joined: Posts: 572 ✭✭✭
    would you liken this to frame traps? As in you are just tricking the opponent to block the wrong way.
    UMvC3 Mains: Nova/Doctor Doom/Amaterasu; Nova/Doctor Strange/Amaterasu
    USFIV: Blanka, Rolento
    Aliases TBU: Dental Plan. Steamed Hams, Spicy Boogers, Catsup, Pork Chops, Boo-urns, Mr Snrub

https://www.youtube.com/user/Dentalplaaaan