Lost

MachoYatesMachoYates Joined: Posts: 4
I have been play SSFIV:AE for about a month now and don't seem to be getting any better at all, I just don't know where to begin, every time I go online I just get my ass kicked ( to be precise I've played about 80 games and won 1, yeah I suck...) I was wondering if anyone has an idea to what I could do to get better, I've beaten the arcade on hardest (so pro) done trials for nearly every character and do spend a fair amount of time in training mode before I play online. If anyone give me any tips it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    Record your matches and post them in the "Beginner Match Analysis" thread
    Tell what exactly you have problems with, which character you play, what you can do - what you can't do
    Recognize that 1 month is pretty much no time at all (there are some people here that have been playing FGs for 15+ years)
    etc

Just "I'm new and bad and don't get better, how to win" doesn't help

P.S. Does 'done trials' mean you did all of them or some? And if some, the harder ones too (like Trial15+) or just the ones where you do one special?
    Why.
  • MachoYatesMachoYates Joined: Posts: 4
    I haven't got past 13 but I normally just practice 9 - 13
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't got past 13 but I normally just practice 9 - 13

Those trials usually contain some of the combos you'll be using in an actual match.

But combos are the least important aspect of SF. You don't take turns doing combos to one another during a live match, so you'll have to focus your training on the core skills needed to win in a fighting game. The basics of understanding spacing and proper defense will do a lot more for you than just grinding out combos.

The FAQs and stickied posts in the newbie section and SF4 section should help you get started on what you need to focus on. Other than that, we can't really offer any solid advice for you if we have no match footage of yours to watch, and you don't leave any descriptions on what your problem areas are.
  • SnakeheartSnakeheart Joined: Posts: 14
    I have been play SSFIV:AE for about a month now and don't seem to be getting any better at all, I just don't know where to begin, every time I go online I just get my ass kicked ( to be precise I've played about 80 games and won 1, yeah I suck...) I was wondering if anyone has an idea to what I could do to get better, I've beaten the arcade on hardest (so pro) done trials for nearly every character and do spend a fair amount of time in training mode before I play online. If anyone give me any tips it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
    Are there any places that host casuals or hold local tournaments near you? You can get a ton of knowledge playing other people and asking them questions.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭
    I usually avoid matches against the CPU, especially on hardest. I play sometimes, mainly to apply some setups if there is no online present. A human opponent is unlikely to employ the tactics of the CPU and vice versa. This gives you a false confidence and bad habits, thinking that since you beat the game on hardest you can beat any human opponent, which is false. Same for the trials. I usually reach trials till level 20 for some characters, but most of them are really impractical for daily use. better examine the custom setups of each character in the character session.
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • Ufinna-git-karate'dUfinna-git-karate'd Are you okay? Joined: Posts: 360
    what is eveyone's obsession with being a "competitive" player? It sounds like you are not having fun. If you are not you are not going to improve. Love the game first. If you genuinely like the game it will not matter how much you lose you will learn and eventually get better without realizing it. plus 80 games is nothing. Keep playing.
    Where does Squall keep his Gunblade when he isn't using it????
    Are there any places that host casuals or hold local tournaments near you? You can get a ton of knowledge playing other people and asking them questions.

Should be there is a LAN centre in town, I'll ask.
    what is eveyone's obsession with being a "competitive" player? It sounds like you are not having fun. If you are not you are not going to improve. Love the game first. If you genuinely like the game it will not matter how much you lose you will learn and eventually get better without realizing it. plus 80 games is nothing. Keep playing.
    Don't get me wrong I do enjoy playing the game a lot it's just I need to get used to playing online I guess and accepting defeat, I'm a bad loser and the games I played previously are easy to win in (Halo, Call of Duty, League of Legends) I will, as you indicated, learn and progress with time.
  • SnakeheartSnakeheart Joined: Posts: 14
    Don't get me wrong I do enjoy playing the game a lot it's just I need to get used to playing online I guess and accepting defeat, I'm a bad loser and the games I played previously are easy to win in (Halo, Call of Duty, League of Legends) I will, as you indicated, learn and progress with time.
    Online is very laggy. Street Fighter 4 and Marvel don't have great netcode. Take it with a grain of salt.
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭

Cheers.
    Learn all the BnBs for your character and practice them on random block in training mode.

For you right now, online is not nearly as worthwhile as training mode time. Force yourself to spend as much time in training mode as you can bear.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    A month~

I remember those days :(

The road ahead of you is very long, very dark, and it's littered with the corpses of your bad decisions.

But like some morbid Super Meat Boy-like replay of your actions, a single warrior shall emerge from this cacophony of flesh and failure. A warrior that brings with them the spirit and knowledge of a hundred missed ultras, thousands of dropped links.

Do not give up, but know that you will never feel like you are "getting better", you will just turn around one day and realize there seem to be a lot more people playing SF that aren't as good as you.