How to stop shoryuken?

Justin MasudaJustin Masuda JMASJoined: Posts: 27
Whenever I play online people always mash dp and I always get shoyukened. Whether it be on wake up or just while I'm doing a combo and I drop it how do u get people to stop mashing dp. It bothers me that it works all the time even if I punish it I swear people just are always mashing even with no meter stocked to make it safe. How do u train an oppenent that dp is a bad idea with no meter.

Ps im working on my safe jumps off my knockdowns

Comments

• Justin MasudaJustin Masuda JMAS Joined: Posts: 27
    Is this just an online thing cuz I swear at the arcades people don't mash it out nearly as much
  • M00nTigerM00nTiger RIP Starbase Arcade Joined: Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    Purposely stop your blockstring when you know they're mashing dp, then block and punish.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic キコケン Joined: Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭
    on wakeup use safe jumps and other various things to make them use shoryuken when it will be to your advantage
    Xbox live, GFWL and GGPO:Necrotrophic
    Chun Li (SF4, ST, 3s), Akuma (SF4), Ryu (SF4,ST, 3s), Cammy (SF4, ST)
    youtube.com/necrotrophic
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I play online people always mash dp and I always get shoyukened. Whether it be on wake up or just while I'm doing a combo and I drop it how do u get people to stop mashing dp. It bothers me that it works all the time even if I punish it I swear people just are always mashing even with no meter stocked to make it safe. How do u train an oppenent that dp is a bad idea with no meter.

Block and punish. If you see it once, assume they're going to do it again.

Don't even think about conditioning an opponent until they stop giving you free damage. Just do the thing that works, over and over again.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    You have to train them that it's not safe. When playing SRK mashers you have to just end combos early, and let them whiff - then punish in a boring way. Don't try anything advanced like a tricky time crossup or 1 frame link. Just drop the combo and wait for the eventual SRK, then max punish. You do that a round or two in a row and they will either give up because you're "being a gay stop playing boring", or they'll learn that perhaps mashing SRK isn't a smart option.
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    Multiple doss attacks fired from virtual machines always used to do the trick. Oh you mean the actual move?
    Is this just an online thing cuz I swear at the arcades people don't mash it out nearly as much

You honestly sound like you've never been in an arcade in your life at all, and never will.
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 743
    You honestly sound like you've never been in an arcade in your life at all, and never will.

Startin' the thread out with some salt
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
  • Justin MasudaJustin Masuda JMAS Joined: Posts: 27
    Multiple doss attacks fired from virtual machines always used to do the trick. Oh you mean the actual move?

I'm no regular But I have gone a couple times. With work and school I don't get to go very often. And the few times I have gone I have not had this problem occur. Thank you though for your valuable input
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379

A+ reply, the kind of responses we are looking for in the Newbie Dojo :-)
  • r313n71355r313n71355 Stylish resets make me salty Joined: Posts: 371
    A+ reply, the kind of responses we are looking for in the Newbie Dojo :)

Agreed there, no reason for trolling on someone who asks a good question. Justin, you've been given a pretty solid list of ways to train people not to mash SRK. Safe jump setups, purposely dropping combos and blocking the mashed out SRK for a full punish, and just baiting in general is the best way to do this. After your opponent is convinced that they shouldn't wake up at all against you, only then is the full mixup game available to you.

It's all about the metagame. It's always a good idea to test the waters on how quickly someone will start mashing reversals before you go for tricky 1 and 2f links. With a little work it will become easier to feel your opponents out.

@PointBreak - you should be ashamed.
  • DensuoDensuo Winning by Timeout (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 6,759

If you are using characters like Ryu or Ken and expect a wake up DP. EX DP them. otherwise learn to stop your blockstring or even do an empty jump in or something if you know they are just mashing DP.

If you know its coming and wait for the opponent to kill themselves for you.
    Won El Fuerte's first and only Major, at Winter Brawl 7
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "You're right mang, Ken players need to start doing more 360 grabs." Shinroken
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
    Ex DP is a decent option, but you've got to be careful about who you do this to because you could just be opening yourself up if they block. Like densuo mentioned, bait and punish - that's the way to go.
  • Red Rick DiasRed Rick Dias Joined: Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those things where you have to understand not every person who plays a video game is actually interested in learning or improving beyond the first layer of neat tricks they find. It's a mentality that is alien to us since we're gathered here to improve one another's play, but many lack our devotion.

The other responses in this thread are pretty apt, thus. Once you've determined your opponent mashes DP... let them. Make sure everything you do is safe or baits out the DP, then nail them for it. Keep doing it. I used to collect SSF4 replays where bad players would just keep doing wakeup DPs no matter how many times I ripped them apart for it (or would keep tossing me fireballs to absorb for free meter when I was using Rose); there were far more in that compilation than I would have liked. There are tons of bad players who will just hand you the win this way!

It's not just fighting games, either. You're going to run into brainless drone-players in all sorts of games. They know their one trick and will use it no matter what. If it doesn't work, try it again! If it still doesn't work, quit and call it a bad game and go play something else drone-style. That is how they operate. Those sort of players are why I do not fault game designers for 'predictable AI'; fighting a Mega Man boss is still more life-like than one would care to admit.

Thankfully, this sort of thing is less frequent when you play with folks who are really interested in improving. Good thing you're in a fine place to hook up with those sort of peers!
  • SaikoJoshSaikoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 694
    If DP is working against you then it's hardly a bad idea for them to use it. The obvious thing to do is just stop falling for it. If you know they're going to do a shoryuken then you should know how to block it and punish it.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • huckles98huckles98 Joined: Posts: 668
    Spacing comes into play here as well. Not only can you bait it during blockstring but if you watch closely they may be throwing it out liberally when you are at certain ranges. A well spaced and timed backdash can gain you a damaging punish. Play it safe and pick your pokes wisely. If you are afraid of getting thrown remember that it is far better to take a throw than eat a combo.
  • climaxterclimaxter Sad style your poo poo, bro! Joined: Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭
    Steps to start your metagame development

1. Jab string until you are just out of their immediate throw range
    2. Stop jabbing and BLOCK
    3. Mentally record their "go to" response to said jabs
    4. Devise your counter to that "go to" based on your character's strengths.

For example: I main Gouken. In this scenario which I will sometimes use to open up a match against an unknown player, I jab 2-3 times after getting up close...if they are blocking I safely stop jabbing. If they are crouch teching and I see a low kick come out, I know the next time I get them in block stun they are likely to crouch tech again. Gouken LOVES crouch teching because he can Kongo counter the shit out of it. If, instead, I stop jabbing and Ryu or whatever does his reversal, then I get a huge punish for 300-400 points of damage. Now, mix this up with focus and/or walk up grab or dash in grab or kara grab (depends on your character) and you have yourself a decent little ground game going. When your opponent just sits there after you stop, and doesn't do something "just because"...then you need to know you are either A) fighting a sock puppet or B) in for a good fight.

You have to train yourself to stop pressing buttons at the wrong time. Some of these reversals are just ridiculous and can kind of ruin the game, especially with laggy online matches. I play a lot and I still do stupid shit and fall for stupid random shit, get beat by amazing players and crappy players too, so it's not always easy to stop pressing at the wrong time. Don't intend on training them...intend on taking advantage of them.
  • ShadowShadow ¿ Joined: Posts: 2,125
    Don't expect the other person to play the way you want them to play. If you know they like to mindlessly go nuts just take a step back and let your opponent slowly kill themselves with all of the mistakes they will make.
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    @PointBreak - you should be ashamed.

The guy goes to an arcade where people play SF, then takes to SRK to ask how to stop Dragon Punches? Who's trolling who here?

Carry on the good work team helper :tup:
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
    Since you seem to be blind, ask someone to read to you which forum he posted a legitimate question in.
    The guy hasn't even specified which SF game o_O Parry that shit! Do an Alpha Counter!!

Seriously rNumbers guy, we laugher harder at guys like you each year on IRC, than these pitiful thread-starters. Who knew huh?
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • huckles98huckles98 Joined: Posts: 668
    We get laughed at in the secret clubhouse, o noes