Getting into KOF.

The MartianThe Martian The Iron Redhead.Joined: Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sup yall.

So, I'm gonna be picking this game up later today. After playing 2002 on GGPO for a while now I'm really wanting to get into KOF and start getting good at it. I own KOF 98 and 2002, but I rarely EVER play them so XIII will pretty much be my first KOF expirience.

All that considered, I just have a few questions as a newcomer to the series.

1.Do people usually do 1v1 or 3v3? I'm guessing 3v3.

2. Out of the KOF games that I have available to me (98 and 2002), which of those two would be best to practice in when I can't play XIII? Or would my knowledge in either or really even help me in XIII to begin with?

3.What's the scene/community feel like on XIII? Do most dislike it or do most find it enjoyable? Which KOF do most people consider to be the best?

4.How populated is the online for Xbox players?

5.Is there anything I should know about the system mechanics that are like, drastically different from other fighters? My main game is Street Fighter so that's where most of my knowledge is grounded in.

6.Any other general tips you guys think I might need to know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :tup:
"Power is not will. It is the phenomenon of physically making things happen."

PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
WiiU ID: IIMartianII
XBL: III Martian III

My Tumblr.
3DS Code: 4957-4227-9462

Comments

• petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭
    controls in kof98 are more stiff than 2002 and XIII. df,hcb moves and links are far easier to pull during a match in 2002. so I'd say to play 2002 if you dont practice XIII. besides these two games have more characters in common. you have the 2009 version of kof2002? if so,the better

I consider kof98 to be the best, for the sole reason that it was made during SNK best years. 2002 is good too but at that time a lot did change at SNK and it produced problematic KOF sequels.

coming from SF, you should watch this tutorial then

not good at any, mediocre at many
  • Reiki.KitoReiki.Kito Joined: Posts: 410
    Perfect piece of information to get you into the game. Keep practicing, also, I can imagine you might want some match up knowledge too. If you have any specific questions on certain character against character matchups, just ask.
  • hoshi_mastershoshi_masters Joined: Posts: 103
    1) 3v3

2) 2002 is better for the reasons petran described, plus MaxMode from 02 is most like the HD combos XIII has, but HD for XIII is handled much better.

3) The scene there is likes the game, and I enjoy their take on it. Asia's still better at it as a whole, but SoCal proves that America and other countries can get there.

4) I wouldn't know for Xbox. I can put you in touch with some consistent players there if you want.

5) & 6) From SF, use the video petran posted, and the best tip I can give you is when it comes to learning KOF XIII, rely less on comparisons from any other fighter (including other KOFs) and learn the game based on what it is. A lot of what was from older KOFs is still there, but best not to rely on it. New game, with a a new way to play.

I'd take advantage of the balance of the game too. Everyone's got a viable shot, even with using HD combos. You can worry about tiers less in XIII can you can in SF.
    "You had guts kid. Now clean them up off the pavement."
    Terry Bogard, KOF '95
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭
    1) 3v3

2) 2002 is better for the reasons petran described, plus MaxMode from 02 is most like the HD combos XIII has, but HD for XIII is handled much better.

3) The scene there is likes the game, and I enjoy their take on it. Asia's still better at it as a whole, but SoCal proves that America and other countries can get there.

4) I wouldn't know for Xbox. I can put you in touch with some consistent players there if you want.

5) & 6) From SF, use the video petran posted, and the best tip I can give you is when it comes to learning KOF XIII, rely less on comparisons from any other fighter (including other KOFs) and learn the game based on what it is. A lot of what was from older KOFs is still there, but best not to rely on it. New game, with a a new way to play.

I'd take advantage of the balance of the game too. Everyone's got a viable shot, even with using HD combos. You can worry about tiers less in XIII can you can in SF.

Basically this
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Vegil/X-23/Dante Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina SSf42012:Guy/Juri/Dudley
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
  • DanDanDanDan Yeah! Joined: Posts: 1,209 ✭✭
    Learn your hops. Those are the footsies/movements in the game.
    AA's, for most of the characters a simple stand jab gets the job done.
    Practice, Practice, Practice.
    If you have a local scene, then take advantage of that and get as many games in as possible.
    Training mode record feature is pretty neat!
    Spoiler:
    I
    KOF and AE 2012
  • VerstandeVerstande Joined: Posts: 324
    does kof still have online issues?
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Anti-Obstructionist Joined: Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does kof still have online issues?

One does not simply play KOF 13 Online.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    3S/USF4- Ibuki :: KOF 98- Terry/Shermie/Kyo :: KOF XI- Terry/Oswald/Gato :: KOF XIII- Clark/EX Kyo/Terry :: GGXrd- Ram Chan

Please check out my Blog! Its what all the cool kids are doing! - http://grippingthenation.blogspot.com/
  • davidkong07davidkong07 Scrub Random.Ultra.David. Joined: Posts: 815
    Hey wassup dude! KoFXIII is the best game ever! I'm glad you're getting into it. Online really kinda sucks, and it's really spotty to get lots of players. Depending on what part of the country/world you reside in, you may have a good scene around you.

The community that plays this game absolutely loves it! But then again I'm from SoCal so i may be biased lol. If you want extensive resources for learning KoFXIII specifically, I suggest the wiki on this site for info on mechanics and whatnot. It's really good. Other than that, if you wanna follow the KoF scene, check out Dreamcancel.com. The tutorials section has tons of stuff there as well:
    http://dreamcancel.com/how-to-play/

The most important tip if you're just starting out IMO is to pick your 3 favorite characters without worrying about tiers and whatnot. That's the most fun way to do it, and the best way to improve in general. Also, learn to hop! hahah That's important.
    SCRUB R.U.D.
    A random ultra is like Sex Panther, 60% of the time, it works everytime.
  • The MartianThe Martian The Iron Redhead. Joined: Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very helpful responses so far! I'm trying to download as much knowledge as I can.

I actually won't be getting XIII until later today, but I've been fuxing around with the demo for quite awhile trying to take in all the information the tutorial provides. So far I've decided on using K and Kula, but as the character selection is limited I haven't been able to decide on a third. Thinking either maybe Ash, Iori or Athena.

Does the order of the team really matter in this game?

My Tumblr.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero I will play Mai game. Joined: Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭
    Very helpful responses so far! I'm trying to download as much knowledge as I can.

I actually won't be getting XIII until later today, but I've been fuxing around with the demo for quite awhile trying to take in all the information the tutorial provides. So far I've decided on using K and Kula, but as the character selection is limited I haven't been able to decide on a third. Thinking either maybe Ash, Iori or Athena.

Does the order of the team really matter in this game?

Hey man! Everyone here is glad that you are enthusiastic about KOF02/KOFXIII. To speak about team order... Yes it does matte, but not as much as you think. You CAN get a way with playing in any sort of team arrangement as long as you got a plan and you know how to react to the opponent play style. Should you build a team, you should try to understand the characters capabilities, match-ups, damage ratios, and how you manage meter. Both K' and Kula are extremely good at building meter as well as using it. Both Ash and Athena are very good zoning characters with a very unique set of tools (i.e. Ash's Sans Coulette, his Genei traps... Athena's mid air movement, teleports... etc). As for Claw Iori, knowing how to conduct a functional rush down game is imperative - Claw Iori can do a lot of damage at once, especially with meter. Believe me when I say this, you are going to enjoy this game SO much! Feel free to ask anymore questions!
    https://twitter.com/Great_Dark_Hero http://ask.fm/Great_Dark_Hero
    [KOFXIII]: Mai / Hwa / Takuma [Subs]: Elisabeth, EX Kyo, Terry, Iori, Leona
    [TTT2]: Armor King / Jaycee [Subs]: Michelle, Heihachi, Ling
    [DOA5U]: Mila [Subs]: Helena, Pai
    If you're learning about KOFXIII, please click on my FAQS here
    If you're learning how to play Mai Shiranui (or the Mai match up) on KOFXIII, start here

So I'm messing around with Athena right now and I notice that if I crouch or stay still long enough she starts getting sparkles around her...does that have any significance?

My Tumblr.
  • 4neqs4neqs thick_thighs Joined: Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, that's just the animation. Similarly, Kula is surrounded by ice dust.

By 98 and 2002 I assume you mean the vanilla versions for GGPO? You might also be interested in the 98UM and 2002UM games for the PS2/X360. They're just as good, if not better.
    "But that's SRK for you. SFIV could have a feature where Chun-Li steps out of the TV and gives the players blowjobs, and some would still complain because she wasn't Sakura." --Azrael(?)
    Nah, that's just the animation. Similarly, Kula is surrounded by ice dust.

By 98 and 2002 I assume you mean the vanilla versions for GGPO? You might also be interested in the 98UM and 2002UM games for the PS2/X360. They're just as good, if not better.
    Ah, I see.

Yeah, I have both of those for Xbox but I don't have live right now so I'm playing KOF through GGPO.

-Does Mai have an Anti Air? I mean I guess her s.hp has a pretty big hitbox but I'm not sure what would be the best option
    -For Mai, is hcf.LP>hcf.HK a safe option? It seems like a great pressure technique to get in.
    -Who's the best charge character? From what I've seen so far it seems like Ash.
    -Does Leona's punch charge have any use, really?
    -Are any of the DLC characters worth the money?
    -Does Duo Lon just suck, or does he have an awkward learning curve like Gen from SF? He plays so weird.

I think I've decided on a team. Mai/Kula/K.

My Tumblr.
  • 4neqs4neqs thick_thighs Joined: Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For dlc's Mr Karate is pretty strong, so yes. Old/flame Iori is an easy-to-use shoto ish character, and NESTS Kyo isn't bad either.

Mai's ryuenbu ( :qcb: :p:) and :snkc: (s. hp) can antiair. For hops/short jumps, :snka: (s. lp) is a standard check, or antiair.

Duo Lon is just hard to use at first. He has limbs, projectiles, and long range a la Dhalsim but you actually want to get close and do combos with him. He won at Evo, so he's not useless. lol http://www.youtube.com/user/MADKoF13/videos
    "But that's SRK for you. SFIV could have a feature where Chun-Li steps out of the TV and gives the players blowjobs, and some would still complain because she wasn't Sakura." --Azrael(?)
    SNIP

Now Mai I can definitely help you with. I usually use Kula as a point character for the sake of building meter - her combos without meter are reliable.
    Here is a guide on Mai if you need help:
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/kof-xiii-mai-shiranui.161286/
    I am also constantly updating her wiki on Dream Cancel as well:
    http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mai_Shiranui_(XIII)

Last, here is another guide on KOFXIII in itself.
    http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_King_of_Fighters_XIII

Also keep in mind that every playable character as of KOFXIII are easily viable for tournament play as long as you know exactly what they capable of.
    If you're learning how to play Mai Shiranui (or the Mai match up) on KOFXIII, start here

Now Mai I can definitely help you with. I usually use Kula as a point character for the sake of building meter - her combos without meter are reliable.
    Here is a guide on Mai if you need help:
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/kof-xiii-mai-shiranui.161286/
    I am also constantly updating her wiki on Dream Cancel as well:
    http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mai_Shiranui_(XIII)

Last, here is another guide on KOFXIII in itself.
    http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_King_of_Fighters_XIII

Also keep in mind that every playable character as of KOFXIII are easily viable for tournament play as long as you know exactly what they capable of.
    That's good to know. Mai is fun as fuck, and she's a really solid character to boot. This game seems really balanced, I love it. I'm surpised that I'm just now getting into it. I'll take a look at all of those.

Kula is taking me some getting used to. Her normals are awkward to me, but she seems like a really solid character.

The thing I seem to be having the most trouble with is getting my ultra's out (or, I think they're called desperation moves in this game). It feels like I'm getting the motions right, but I guess my execution is a little off.

My Tumblr.
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 499 ✭✭✭
    Her normals are awkward to me, but she seems like a really solid character.

j.B, s.B, c.B all day, err'day.

As for getting DMs out, go into training mode and make sure you're not accidentally pressing your buttons too soon into the directional input. For example, with a qcfhcb, make sure you're not pressing P/K on db instead of b.
    KOF XIII: Kula/Iori/Kim
    SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/WFF-AirLancer
    If you're in the NYC area and want to play some KOF XIII, hit me up!
    Does anyone know where I could find some hitbox data for Leona?

My Tumblr.
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where I could find some hitbox data for Leona?
    There's no KOFXIII Hitbox data :-(
    A few character do have frame data on them. People are still conducting research on this game as we speak.
    Make sure you keep track of the streams. Dream Cancel and Orochinagi are conducting provisions for building more KOF-centric tournaments and streams.
    You can also participate the online ranbats that Dream Cancel has to offer.
    http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2728.msg61842#new

For more subtle mechanics and information you can also try look through this too... just when you get the time for more research.
    For example, if you are running or if double tap forward on you arcade stick and if you perform a roll, the character will roll a little further out the way.
    There are lots of good stuff to know... and each of the characters have something fun about them. You can also learn Takuma - he can be a very good rush down character, and his ability to zone is pretty spot on. You can also give Yuri and Saiki a try too. Make sure you test every character out!

• splurgendiisplurgendii Every match-up, has a solution! Joined: Posts: 1,181 ✭✭
    wow, so much love in this thread:)
    It's nice to see a community embrace new comers as enthusiastically as you guys.
    much respect <3
    splurrrr
    "gen" like the character
    Deeeeeeee
    wow, so much love in this thread:)
    It's nice to see a community embrace new comers as enthusiastically as you guys.
    much respect <3
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Everyone in this game's community is so nice so far, it's refreshing coming out of the Marvel and SF community :rofl:
    For more subtle mechanics and information you can also try look through this too... just when you get the time for more research.
    For example, if you are running or if double tap forward on you arcade stick and if you perform a roll, the character will roll a little further out the way.
    There are lots of good stuff to know... and each of the characters have something fun about them. You can also learn Takuma - he can be a very good rush down character, and his ability to zone is pretty spot on. You can also give Yuri and Saiki a try too. Make sure you test every character out!
    I've tried a lot of them, but I still have so many to go. It's awesome how balanced this game is despite the large amount of characters, and it's crazy how diverse they all are. Right now I think my favorite is Leona. I never really play charge characters besides Bison, but I'm having a lot of fun with her.

I've been playing around with Duo Lon for about an hour and a half now, and I think I'm gonna pick him up. I'm trying to do j.hk>qcf.lp>qcf.lp>qcf.hp, but the bot seems to block the first qcf.lp if I land the jump kick without using a hop. Is there a more effective hit confirm to use or?

Also, is there a safer way to come out of that if they block? I mean I can drive cancel into Himoukyaku, but unless I have the meter for it then it seems pretty unsafe if it gets blocked

Is Saiki tourney legal?

My Tumblr.
  • Violent RyoViolent Ryo Mistuurrr KaraTEH! Joined: Posts: 382
    The best thing you can do after playing real people is to watch high level play, i reccommend watching KOF98, 98um, XI, 2002um, and of course XIII. Sorryy im on ipad atm and linking is not so doable.
    KOFXIII: Ryo Rob Tak (Art of Fighting Team)
    KOF 98UM: EX-Ryo Brian Kyo Terry Eiji Tak
    SSFIVAE: Dan
    KOF XI: Ryo (Leader) + 2 Random
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 499 ✭✭✭
    All playable characters are tourney legal.

With Duo Lon, instead of going from j.D straight into qcf+A, try j.D cl.C qcf+A. In general, close standing Cs have fast startup (~4 frames) and have heavy hitstun which will allow you to continue the combo, and they add some damage too.

You can cancel the last hit of Duo Lon's rekka into a teleport to keep yourself mostly safe (it can be punished by fast, horizontal attacks like Robert or Mr. Karate's EX Ranbu.)
    KOF XIII: Kula/Iori/Kim
    SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/WFF-AirLancer
    If you're in the NYC area and want to play some KOF XIII, hit me up!
  • Reiki.KitoReiki.Kito Joined: Posts: 410
    On Duolon, there's a number of ways people like to play him. If you're coming out of SSF4, some people liken him to Dhalsim because of his ability to attack from a really long distance. What I would do is pop into training mode and get a good idea of what the range is for his normals and command normals (Like f+B and f+A) so you get more comfortable with them. Just like in other fighting games, normals are really important and understanding their max range is as well.

So, you can use him as a zoner, to keep people out and do a hit and run strategy with your rekka (qcf+P). However, you can keep pressure as well. He has REALLY fast normals. His down LP (d.A) and down LK (d.B) are pretty ridiculous and you can hit confirm off of them into a combo. You can use his fireball to keep your pressure game up too. Just cancel into it (either in a string, at random, your choice) and it'll stay active for a long time even though it's slow. This makes it so you don't have to use your unsafe specials to keep people blocking or scared, just keep poking with normals. The blockstun from it sets up a little frame trap, especially in the corner, so you can keep pressuring people with high low attacks and long range pressure. Like AirLancer said, you should throw in a heavy normal after jump-ins for that extra hitstun and good extra damage. You're not always going to get the jump in so, in training mode, set the dummy to random guard and crouching. Work on pressuring the dummy and hitconfirming off of d.As (Usually you can hit d.A from as close as possible 3 times and confirm into rekka)

Once you get comfortable attacking, you should know how to defend yourself. Duo Lon doesn't really have anti-air. He has great air to air normals, but his ground to air arsenal is lacking. Without meter, if someone jumps on you from neutral, down HP (d.C) is your best bet to stuff people trying to jump-in on you. Most characters have a horizontal hitbox when they do j.CD as well. It's a bit more advanced, but doing d.B lowers your character and makes poorly timed jump-ins whiff completely. You also can hit them as they come down since there's no tripguard in this game, characters landing from jumps are vulnerable for a split second. Use that window to really wail some damage on people who jump so much.
  • COMMONSENSECOMMONSENSE Veni Vidi Vici Joined: Posts: 562
    Great choice man! I got to run to work but if you have any questions im here to help. KOF!!!!!
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 146
    Downloaded KoF Xiii this morning.

First time playing KoF, and there's some great help in here. Many thanks to one and all, and especially to petran79 for the introductory video.

Trying to figure out my characters - I really liked Iori (and esp Wild Iori) in Capcom vs SNK 2, but am a bit disappointed with his incarnation in this version.

Kyo seems the easiest to pick up and play.
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 146
    Downloaded KoF Xiii this morning.

First time playing KoF, and there's some great help in here. Many thanks to one and all, and especially to petran79 for the introductory video.

Trying to figure out my characters - I really liked Iori (and esp Wild Iori) in Capcom vs SNK 2, but am a bit disappointed with his incarnation in this version.

Kyo seems the easiest to pick up and play.
    (Claw) Iori and EX Iori are both strong in this game... Then again, so is every other character if the player has good fundamentals. If you need help on either Claw Iori or EX Iori, look at the following websites.
    http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Classic_Iori_(XIII)
    http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Iori_Yagami_(XIII)

• phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Just got a PS3 yesterday and was suprised to see that KOF AND SSFIV:AE are on the store for FREE to plus subscribers.

How convenient. :eek:

My Tumblr.