Option select?

darkzero197darkzero197 Joined: Posts: 65
I hear the term "option select" In street fighter constantly, and yet I dont completely understand what it is, I mean I looked it up in a fighting game terminology thread, but it still seemed really complicated, so can someone explain to me what it is as simply put as possible?

Comments

• ExeeterExeeter senior pugilist Joined: Posts: 53
    Its basically the act of inputting multiple buttons/motions in a small window to cover multiple options.

The easiest example is the crouch tech option select. If your holding downback in training room, press jab and light (the buttons used for throwing) , you will notice that cr light comes out, now if you do that in font of your opponent, they will get hit with it but if they try to throw you... you tech the throw.

You just covered 2 potential options on your opponents advance with a single input.

This obviously gets more tricky with more advanced OSs. Just remember its you inputting a short series or combination of buttons/motions that will result in different outcomes depending on the action of the opponent, this is used to eliminate additional reads or otherwise unsafe gambles.

An os that I use often with dudley is f. Rh (overhead) U1. This covers 2 options and eliminates 2 of he 3 options most players have, looses clean to reversals.

I input the overhead and Immediately buffer the u1 motion and input, if they block or get hit by the overhead, there is enough hit and block stun on duds glorious overhead for me to hitconfirm or stop (when blocked). If they back dash, the overhead will miss entirely and the very next input the game registers is mu u1 motion and rolling thunder is executed, catching the back dash clean.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2
  • darkzero197darkzero197 Joined: Posts: 65
    Ok, so lemme piece this together, so Its basically doing multiple moves that will register as one thing if the opponent does a certain action. Like I think Daigo does this thing where he jumps in and does a jumping RH, then buffers a light shoryu? Everyone calls it the Daigo Option Select, so thats all I see when I watch him play :/
  • ExeeterExeeter senior pugilist Joined: Posts: 53
    Yessir.

If they block in place they will take the RH. And daigo can see that and continue and sort of pressure on hit or block. If it wiffs due to a back dash fron the opponent, the dp is automatic

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 732
    Also the reason why an option select works is because of how hitpause works in this game. Whenever you hit an attack, the game slows down for a VERY short period of time;

at 0:06

Notice how whenever Cammy's move "hits" both the characters seem to "freeze" and Ken jiggles back and forth. This is essentially how the Daigo OS works, if they get hit, they are put into temporary hitpause because of the j.HK, meaning the DP won't come out. If the j.HK doesn't hit, the hitpause doesn't occur meaning that the move sort of "ends sooner", allowing the DP to come out. So far the conversation is about what an option select does, but knowing how it works will also help you out.
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
  • otterotter PSN: MyBodyIsInfested Joined: Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭
    Also the reason why an option select works is because of how hitstun works in this game. Whenever you hit an attack, the game slows down for a VERY short period of time

I think the term your looking for is "hitpause"
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    It's playing rock and scissors at the same time.

The Daigo OS works like this.

Ryu jumps in with :hk:, and at the same time it hits he puts in a :dp::lp:. He doesn't care if the :hk: hits or not, he will do the same motion every time because of the magic of option selects.

If the player blocks the :hk:, then the :dp::lp: is put in too quickly, the Ryu player is still recovering from having the :hk: blocked, and so the :dp::lp: motion is ignored.

If the player avoids the :hk: (such as a backdash), the :hk: will whiff, meaning Ryu has much, much less time spent in "recovery". Because of this, the :dp::lp: now has enough time to get out, and most times it will be fast enough to catch whatever the opponent is doing.

An Option Select is a motion (usually a normal+special move) or set of motions you do at the same time, and depending on how the opponent reacts to the move: blocking, getting hit, dashing, teleporting; the move will result in one of the other options being used.

Other examples would be OS Ultra (option selecting your Ultra).
    You could poke out a little :d::mk: and then go RIGHT into an Ultra :qcf::qcf::lp::mp::hp:.
    If they block your Ultra will not come out, because you cannot cancel from a :d::mk: into an Ultra.
    If they dodge/jump/teleport your :d::mk:, then your Ultra will be able to come out as soon as the :d::mk: recovers, which will be much faster now that your opponent didn't block your attack.
  • BakuhakubasugasuBakuhakubasugasu Eating dreams since '96. Joined: Posts: 3,327
    A group of inputs that offer more than one situation. Depending on what your opponent does, it will choose the best option within those inputs. Keeping it simple~
    PSN: Bakuhakubasugasu
    I play all fighting games.
    Youtube<<Combos/Tutorials | TwitchTv<<Stream
  • Leo90Leo90 Joined: Posts: 11
    so every character has an option select, like Balrog or no
    so every character has an option select, like Balrog or no
    Yes, every character has an option select, due to the nature of the game, but some are more specific.

You can google "Balrog Option Selects" and you'll find a whole plethora of videos and posts. Not every option select is very flashy or useful however.
  • Leo90Leo90 Joined: Posts: 11
    thanks Gordon, I will look into it.
  • Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 167
    Yes, every character has an option select, due to the nature of the game, but some are more specific.

You can google "Balrog Option Selects" and you'll find a whole plethora of videos and posts. Not every option select is very flashy or useful however.

The beard is strong with this one....
    MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.
  • sorrowsticksorrowstick Joined: Posts: 253
    I wonder if those annoying Option Select and bull-S 50/50 Cross-up would be removed in the upcoming patch...Could this game will be overcrowded with other FG players?

Or could it be most of us will leave this game forever?
    trollfighting, guessing game, random mash & taunting are legit...offline or online.
  • f1ngers 0f furyf1ngers 0f fury What an answer!! "Yipes" Joined: Posts: 18
    I wonder if those annoying Option Select and bull-S 50/50 Cross-up would be removed in the upcoming patch...Could this game will be overcrowded with other FG players?

Or could it be most of us will leave this game forever?

I wouldn't count on it.
    fs.png
    I wouldn't count on it.
    I will agree to disagree. I'm done talking to you about this.

ok...take it if they managed to remove OS eventually... i just wndering, what will happen to this game?
    trollfighting, guessing game, random mash & taunting are legit...offline or online.
    ok...take it if they managed to remove OS eventually... i just wndering, what will happen to this game?
    You can't really "remove" option selects without having a lot of other things (like kara-throws) also disappear. The reason Option Selects work is that one move will recover faster depending on landing a successful hit or not. An Option Select isn't anything unfair or sneaky, it really is just saying: sweep, then do Ultra. If he blocks or takes the sweep, no Ultra. If he misses, well then your sweep recovered and now you have enough time to do an Ultra.
    oh yes....kara throw should be removed too along with OS. try check out other ssfiv forum as well...u might find kara throw is sort of cheating due to glitch manipulation,
    oh yes....kara throw should be removed too along with OS. try check out other ssfiv forum as well...u might find kara throw is sort of cheating due to glitch manipulation,
    By that logic p-linking is also a glitch manipulated to gain an edge.
    And by that logic simple button hierarchies are a glitch, because if you push two buttons ( :mp::hp: ) only the :hp: will come out.
    If you do :qcf::qcf::lp::mp::hp: and you don't have an Ultra, you get an EX, this is an (unintended) option select as well, by your logic this would be removed.

You'l pick up more of these little intensities the more you play fighting games.
    By that logic p-linking is also a glitch manipulated to gain an edge.
    And by that logic simple button hierarchies are a glitch, because if you push two buttons ( :mp::hp: ) only the :hp: will come out.
    If you do :qcf::qcf::lp::mp::hp: and you don't have an Ultra, you get an EX, this is an (unintended) option select as well, by your logic this would be removed.

You'l pick up more of these little intensities the more you play fighting games.

I realize that one....but capcom has to do something bout this:

Have you seen movie Saw 3? Remember officer allison got kidnapped
    unconsciously and wake-up in angel's harness?
    Its kinda execution trap where the victim couldn't escape,
    unlike the other trap in Saw franchise series.
    Sorry if below cutscene looks kinda disturbing.

And that is how i feel when i'm stucked / knockdown with player that intend to pull above OS over and over again....
    there's nothing you can do.
    And that is how i feel when i'm stucked / knockdown with player that intend to pull above OS over and over again....
    there's nothing you can do.
    Yeah, that's kind of the point of them. Frame-perfect block or deal with the mixup that comes with getting knocked down. Welcome to fighting games 101. There isn't anything they are doing that you cannot do back to them.

Let me know if you need any more help, I'm always more than happy to help some day-one newcomers!
  • D.R.E.D.R.E. I am not Black Phillip Joined: Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,485 ✭✭
    You know what you do when someone OS's your backdash? YOU JUST BLOCK. I must be a rocket scientist for figuring that out. This high level technique where you hold down back and are immune to everything but chip damage, overheads, and throws.

Option selects make the game better because it means people can't mindlessly backdash out of wakeup pressure. It makes offense matter. People used to complain about SF4 being a turtley game where throws sucked. That was before they learned how to punish backdashes and how to catch throw tech with frame traps.

You REALLY need to drop the "glitch" argument. You know how many fighting game mechanics started off as glitches? Cancelling normals into specials was originally a glitch. Juggles were originally a glitch (Guile j.hk reset -> hk flash kick hitting on the reset). But the fighting game community and developers embraced these things because they made the game more interesting and fun. The fact that something is a glitch is not an argument for taking it out. People accept that things like kara throws are a part of Street Fighter now.

You really need to read and contemplate on Sirlin's Playing to Win. Please, just read.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.