Which fighting game should I use to learn?

KLonsoKLonso Joined: Posts: 13
Over the past couple years, I've accumulated a fair amount of fighting games, being SSFIV: AE, SFxT, UMVC3, Skullgirls, and KOF XIII. I've even ended up with an arcade stick. After spending a fair amount of time trying to do the trials for the characters in these games, and playing a few online matches, I've come to the conclusion that I am in fact, garbage at fighting games.

With that said, I would like to be considerably less garbage in the future, so which of these games would be the most helpful for me to focus on first, so that I can learn the ins and outs of fighting games?

Comments

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Whichever game you enjoy playing the most. Each game will teach you about the ins and outs of fighting games, but they might just focus on one particular skill set over others. All of which are good to develop yourself as a fighting game player.

I recommend playing the game with the most available offline competition, if you have access to any. The most popular games would be AE, UMVC3, and depending on your area, KOF 13. SFxT might see a resurgence in competition due to the upcoming patch, but I can't imagine it'll ever topple the numbers that SF4 and UMVC3 sees.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,483 mod
    limiting your focus to 1 or 2 games instead of 5 would probably help. playing the trials and a few online matches means dick in the grand scheme of things. you have to play/practice WAY more than that to have any noticeable improvement in skill.
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • KLonsoKLonso Joined: Posts: 13
    \
    I recommend playing the game with the most available offline competition, if you have access to any. The most popular games would be AE, UMVC3, and depending on your area, KOF 13. SFxT might see a resurgence in competition due to the upcoming patch, but I can't imagine it'll ever topple the numbers that SF4 and UMVC3 sees.

Eh well the offline scene where I live isn't particularly great as far as I know, (I live in a large city, but there are like 2 well known arcades, and both are far from me). Does online work as a substitute?
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Eh well the offline scene where I live isn't particularly great as far as I know, (I live in a large city, but there are like 2 well known arcades, and both are far from me). Does online work as a substitute?

Online is a great tool for training and learning matchups. But if you're planning on joining tournaments in the future, then I recommend attending a regular session whenever you can spare the time. It's really important to adapt to the different timing changes of playing offline, as well as being accustomed to the stress and environment of playing against another fellow head-to-head. It introduces an entirely new set of factors that will determine your performance, and that's not something you can replicate online.

I would recommend that you check the 'Regional Matchmaking" section of this forum, and try to find a local session in your area. If you live in a large city, odds are, there's going to be a strong scene, and doesn't necessarily have to be at an arcade.

Of course, if you just want to become a strong player for the sake of it, and don't intend on going to tournaments or other competitive venues, then play whatever game you enjoy the most.
  • huckles98huckles98 Joined: Posts: 668
    Any game that you enjoy and will put the time in to will suffice. Knocking out some trials then heading online is a good way to get frustrated and give up though. Learn the basics by putting in the time playing others. Eventually things will fall into place, you can't really force it by spending endless hours in practice mode mastering a combo only to learn that you don't know exactly how or when to pull it off. One or two bnbs is usually enough to get you started. Later you will isolate the additional combos you need. If you tunnel vision on landing that one sweet combo you learned from.a trial you will get blown up by the basics.
  • KLonsoKLonso Joined: Posts: 13
    I would recommend that you check the 'Regional Matchmaking" section of this forum, and try to find a local session in your area. If you live in a large city, odds are, there's going to be a strong scene, and doesn't necessarily have to be at an arcade.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/toronto-2012-edition.151956/

My city's sad excuse of a thread. Anyhow, thanks very much for the advice
  • ZeroTheHeroZeroTheHero Nothing but GG's Joined: Posts: 39
    Each game has its own emphasis on different things. Really It depends on what you wanna work on. marvel 3 and most anime games in general have a big emphasis on option awareness, and movement. Street Fighter is almost pure spacing. Kof and MK are more reactionary games. VF is all about the mental Yomi aspect of fighters. Guilty Gear and Tekken are 2 games I would say have the broadest view on using all of those concepts so if you wanna be more complete id lean towards those. All in all the threads on the right track play whats fun to you.
    TTT2: Kazuya/Lars SF4AE: Oni, Fei-Long // PSABR: Kratos, Drake // UMVC3:Zero(dp)/Vergil(RS)/Doom(Missile) // VF5FS: Jean
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    After spending a fair amount of time trying to do the trials for the characters in these games, and playing a few online matches, I've come to the conclusion that I am in fact, garbage at fighting games.

dont judge your skill based on those factors. especially if you are at the beginning. those trials are for experienced players with good reflexes and timing. online play will help you if you are on practice sessions. ranked matches totally detract you from learning the game. more creativity is found in non-ranked rooms.

also,a stick requires a lot of patience and practice, since you use your whole hand instead of the thumb finger like with a pad.

just enjoy the game and you'll slowly get the hang of it. just dont pick difficult characters at first.
    I'd recommend SFIV if you are a beginner.
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • BakuhakubasugasuBakuhakubasugasu Eating dreams since '96. Joined: Posts: 3,329
    People usually bring up Street Fighter for a good starting game but I really think you should just play what you like. Just grind out what you want to learn in any possible way. Training mode, watching videos, asking for advice... All of those things. You even have SRK here which is a huge help if you're actually seeking advice.
    PSN: Bakuhakubasugasu
    I play all fighting games.
    Youtube<<Combos/Tutorials | TwitchTv<<Stream
    Support our new clothing company, Meaty Mob! http://meatymob.com