NC Thread LXIX

Comments

• Sofa_KingSofa_King Legendary Top 8 AH3 Player Joined: Posts: 566
    Man on the real, I feel like I've kinda hit a plateau in KoF. Not even sure why I'm losing anymore lol.

Anyone got any tips of stuff I could improve?

STOP WHIFFING DP! The past two weeks that has hurt you a lot.
    When you dodge, "I won't let them cut me." If you protect someone, "I won't let them die." If you attack, "I will kill them."
  • purifyweirdsoulpurifyweirdsoul Brent Taylor Joined: Posts: 1,655
    Jon you could not give up when you're losing that would be good
    My name is Brent and I play everything
  • Jon SlaytonJon Slayton Consistently Inconsistent Joined: Posts: 4,304
    STOP WHIFFING DP! The past two weeks that has hurt you a lot.

Most of those are me trying to walk around and do a low kick... input shortcuts are so lenient.
    Jon you could not give up when you're losing that would be good

I don't do that in tournament lol
    "You know that sinking feeling when Zero hits you?" - MTP

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.
  • gamewizard108gamewizard108 anime swag Joined: Posts: 467
    jon u suk that's why u losing
    jon u suk that's why u losing

Damn, I never thought of it that way.

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.
  • SieClaytonSieClayton Dark Geese Must Go!! Joined: Posts: 652
    Jon I think you have to remember that you are the measuring stick. You win a lot and Always adapt to situations really well. I think the more we all play the more that you will learn and continue to grow. You really haven't had to make any serious changes because your stuff was always good enough to win. I am sure that you will get better. I still need to improve on a lot of things. I think the order switch is what got you this time though. Yuri on point is serious. She can just do way too much.
    Certainly...they existed. Those blinded by ambition... Those consumed with vengeance...
    But here, they do not exist. Only winners...and losers here.
    FOR HERE THE MIGHTY RULE!

NEC...Mark, of the TRIAD!
  • PacStrifePacStrife 2.B.A. MASTER Joined: Posts: 203
    That yuri stuff we all need to get better at fighting lol.

Jon my biggest advice to you would be stop looking to different characters to answer a player issue. You know as well as anyone that there is always something new or better we could all be doing with our characters. There is always another layer that we can reach. You do yourself a disservice when you think your characeters are slowing your progress as a player. It tends to make you think about character limitations instead of mistakes or bad decisions you made during the match.

That said, you definitely don't have to stick with the same three characters. Just make sure the characters you do play you have confidence with regardless of what your facing. Other than that, you just gotta keep playing. We all play and get better together, might not be as immediate as you would like but the skill here is raising slowly but surely. :-)
    You might be right Lu in that I never really had to switch up my stuff because it always worked before. I think people have pretty much caught up / passed me at this point though... I don't feel like I'm even top 3 in the state anymore really. Old dog's gotta learn some new tricks lol

As far as character stuff though, I bounce around on that issue a lot too. I'm tempted to just switch Duo and Kensou and run like EX Iori / Karate / Someone top tier just so I always can blame myself for my losses but I have put a lot of time into my low/mid tier buddies to drop them now. I just don't like not knowing when it was me and when it was the matchup / lack of tools of my characters. Then again, KoF seems pretty matchup heavy, maybe we should all put some time into figuring out who on our roster beats what.

• Blake&WhiteBlake&White keepin' it stylish Joined: Posts: 2,099
    The character thing is really iffy, both sides of the argument have merit. You don't want to take the approach that your characters are necessarily holding you back, as that prevents you from improving as a player. But at the same time, you have to go with what you think you will be most comfortable with, which may not necessarily be a top tier.

Also, regarding lack of tools, part of your problem may be that you are looking for quick fixes to certain issues. I feel like you always look for the path of least resistance when it comes to certain things like mixups, so if the character doesn't have some easy-to-understand 50/50, you automatically say their mixup isn't good and you don't know how to open up your opponent with them. This is one of the cases where the player skill and understanding of the game needs to catch up. Karate is a good example in that he's a really beast character in general on both offense and defense, but because we aren't on that level yet, we get too focused on his seemingly apparent shortcomings.

Personally, I'm dropping K' and Shen for the time being. It's not that they're not good, they're both amazing characters IMO. I just don't enjoy playing either one of them particularly at this point. That being said, I'm going to pick three characters and basically stick with them for the time being. I need to take the time to really get a grip on the game as a whole and bouncing around between characters isn't helping.
    MAGNETO! WELCOME TO DIE
    Yeah I was walking past Blake at work or something and we exchanged glances and blake was like "I'm dropping K'"

the sadness in the air was palpable

I certainly agree with Lu's and James' points on this Jon. Also yes Yuri on point is really dangerous...she gets 80% off of just a full drive bar in the corner, tools for almost all situations, great offense, a great anywhere juggle that can be applied very often, 1f invincible grab etc.
    Well with Duo Lon, obviously his real mixups come from knockdowns and such but the most you're going to get at neutral is timing mixups and varying when you do what to get people to say, jump into a cr.C when they were expecting me to throw out f+A at a certain range / time or what not, or timing cr.A staggered and trying to feign like I'm going in for a throw to get a counter hit on mashers. But things like that are really iffy, every player has different tendencies and don't always decide to do things at the same time. That's why I like having strong mixup tools, it doesn't matter what the player is doing so much with those because they either cover a lot of options or are just really effective at doing what they do.

I can't really MAKE people press buttons. And setting up a throw is risky since they have a year and a half to decide they want to mash on you before the throw protection ends. Because of option selects, going for stuff like that is definitely in the defenders favor and you should really only go for that kind of stuff when you're 100% certain the player is scared. Being able to set stuff up safely is really big. Putting someone in block stun and mixing an overhead and a low is just better than putting someone in block stun and gambling on when they press a button. Or empty jumping and command grabbing them out of their option selects >>> whatever the hell people without 1 frame command grabs and invincible moves do to beat option selects.

I guess my issue is dealing with overly defensive play. Hey... look Jon has issues against defensive play, where have we seen that before? Oh yeah EVERY GAME EVER THATS NOT MARVEL LOL

I don't want to get too wrapped up in a theoretical discussion, so I will try to be brief.

1. I never said 50/50 mixup wasn't good. The issue is that it doesn't really exist in the same form in KOF, so if you're looking for that in a character, you won't really find it.

2. You can't physically force someone to press a button, but if you have an understanding of the game, you can make them want to. Remember, you can't block forever in KOF.

Just keep playing and eventually you will get it. Maybe you need to re examine how you fundamentally view offense.
    MAGNETO! WELCOME TO DIE
    Double post to spread this around.
    Alright guys, it occurred to me that I own just a few too many arcade sticks, so I'd like to unload a few of them if possible. I'll list off what I'm aware that I have and maybe add some more later (might have one or two hanging around that I forgot about). These are all PS3.

RAP Viewlix Premium
    SF4 MadCatz TE (this is my old dual mod, it doesn't work for 360 anymore but all the hardware is in there so it probably just needs a simple repair)
    RAP3
    Wireless T6 stick
    BB MadCatz TE (limited edition, barely used)

I'm not sure how much I'd like for these, so start naming prices if you're interested.
    MAGNETO! WELCOME TO DIE
  • Rod DriguezRod Driguez gg no t-bag Joined: Posts: 570
    I might be willing to buy one.

I would prefer the least used, and would be willing to pay a premium for that.
    PSN Gamertag: Juggrknott
    Rod, the BB stick is the least used, it's spent most of its time in my possession in a box.
    MAGNETO! WELCOME TO DIE
  • Darlos9DDarlos9D Joined: Posts: 90
    Hey guys. I'm living in NC in the triangle area (again). Just trying to figure out when/where meetups happen.

I play BB and GG primarily, but I can flail around with Zangief and it'd be cool to get into KoF. I would have already if it weren't for it's godawful netcode.

Oh and I can do MvC3 and Skullgirls, if you guys do.
    Raleigh is mostly MArvel / KoF / SF4.

We have some old GG / BB heads that might come back with the new patches. I won MLG for skullgirls so... competition! (haven't touched it since the patch though >_<)

Weekly streamed tournaments every wednesday at Champps in triangle town center mall:

http://www.facebook.com/tierlessheroes/info

So, this place? http://www.triangletowncenter.com/shop/triangle.nsf/StoresAlphaWeb/304C812965642CAA852570AF006892D1?OpenDocument

Hopefully you do plenty of casuals there too. I'm not exactly tournament material just yet. I just want IRL experience.
    Thanks Blake. Let me know what you think is fair, and we can talk about it.

If you get a nice offer from someone else and want to go ahead and make the sale, feel free. I actually haven't played in months.
  • RoboCurseRoboCurse Vault Dweller Joined: Posts: 301
    Any rides available to RESE? I live in Cary area but I can get to raleigh.
    This guy ain't gettin Pineapple Express. They gettin snicklefritz!
    What's RESE?
  • Saisyu KusanagiSaisyu Kusanagi Oppressive Village Pillager Joined: Posts: 1,311
    Double post to spread this around.
    Alright guys, it occurred to me that I own just a few too many arcade sticks, so I'd like to unload a few of them if possible. I'll list off what I'm aware that I have and maybe add some more later (might have one or two hanging around that I forgot about). These are all PS3.

RAP Viewlix Premium
    SF4 MadCatz TE (this is my old dual mod, it doesn't work for 360 anymore but all the hardware is in there so it probably just needs a simple repair)
    RAP3
    Wireless T6 stick
    BB MadCatz TE (limited edition, barely used)

I'm not sure how much I'd like for these, so start naming prices if you're interested.

$80 for the RAP 3 sound good? I can give it to you today after work or at WNB on wen.
    CRUSH YOUR ENEMY WITHOUT MERCY!!!!
  • TheBobbieFiascoTheBobbieFiasco An agent of [bfp] Joined: Posts: 146
    What's RESE?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/rockemsockem/ - Tournament this Saturday coming up.
    XBL: TheBobbieFiasco | Stillwater, OK
    Hey Rod, does 90 sound reasonable?
    MAGNETO! WELCOME TO DIE
  • Alice-chanAlice-chan KDP Alice-chan Joined: Posts: 1,029
    http://www.resetourney.com/tournaments/

We have this tournament coming up the 19th.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/jan-26-2013-mindgames-ignition-greensboro-nc.172055/

And this on the 26th

Get those ride situations sorted out.
    KDP4 on February 23rd, Poverty Fest March 23rd, Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 NC Invitational April 27th
    Hey Rod, does 90 sound reasonable?

Yes, that sounds fair and reasonable. Thank you, sir.

I can pay for this anytime you are ready - just let me know.
    Is tomorrow ok? I have class after work, but it usually ends between 7 and 7:30. Just let me know if that's ok and where we can meet.
    MAGNETO! WELCOME TO DIE
    Sure, tomorrow is fine. You can swing by the crib I guess, I'm still at the same spot. I'll be home from work by then.

Or if you want to just meet at WNB or some other event in the near future, that is fine too. Totally up to you.
    Tomorrow it is. Hit me up with your address, been a while since I've swung by lol. You can text me at 919-357-0734, or just PM if that works better.
    MAGNETO! WELCOME TO DIE
  • Saisyu KusanagiSaisyu Kusanagi Oppressive Village Pillager Joined: Posts: 1,311
    Welcome to the age of Aquarius. It will have brief pain as we break free of the gravitational pull of pieces minded people but the sun is about to shine for the first time in 5000 years. Knowledge has returned and with it the true warmth of Ra in the heavens. The New Republic is here.
    Well with Duo Lon, obviously his real mixups come from knockdowns and such but the most you're going to get at neutral is timing mixups and varying when you do what to get people to say, jump into a cr.C when they were expecting me to throw out f+A at a certain range / time or what not, or timing cr.A staggered and trying to feign like I'm going in for a throw to get a counter hit on mashers. But things like that are really iffy, every player has different tendencies and don't always decide to do things at the same time. That's why I like having strong mixup tools, it doesn't matter what the player is doing so much with those because they either cover a lot of options or are just really effective at doing what they do.

I can't really MAKE people press buttons. And setting up a throw is risky since they have a year and a half to decide they want to mash on you before the throw protection ends. Because of option selects, going for stuff like that is definitely in the defenders favor and you should really only go for that kind of stuff when you're 100% certain the player is scared. Being able to set stuff up safely is really big. Putting someone in block stun and mixing an overhead and a low is just better than putting someone in block stun and gambling on when they press a button. Or empty jumping and command grabbing them out of their option selects >>> whatever the hell people without 1 frame command grabs and invincible moves do to beat option selects.

I guess my issue is dealing with overly defensive play. Hey... look Jon has issues against defensive play, where have we seen that before? Oh yeah EVERY GAME EVER THATS NOT MARVEL LOL

Hopefully this can help.
  • Return of ShikiReturn of Shiki Your favorite game sucks Joined: Posts: 4,391
    KOF XIII doesn't have pretty much anything to do with real KOFs like 2002 simply due to massive system changes.
    Due to how massive nerfed the blockstun/hitstun of air normals are, the nerfing of the anti-airs (that aren't DPs), changes in meter gain and other things the way you apply and deal with pressure in 2002 isn't possible in the game.
    It plays more like KOF 95 (where you have to do CvS2 style Custom Combos in order to do big damage) than anything else.
    If you listen to fools, the mob rules...
    KOF XIII doesn't have pretty much anything to do with real KOFs like 2002 simply due to massive system changes.
    Due to how massive nerfed the blockstun/hitstun of air normals are, the nerfing of the anti-airs (that aren't DPs), changes in meter gain and other things the way you apply and deal with pressure in 2002 isn't possible in the game.
    It plays more like KOF 95 (where you have to do CvS2 style Custom Combos in order to do big damage) than anything else.
    This KOF is only similar in characer design to any of the older ones. I have played 94-98 (can't speak on 99-02) but I must say that this KOF is by far the funnest one of the bunch. The HD factor just enhances the game. If it wasn't there it would be slower than CvS2 and perhaps actually a boring game. With that said, is anyone going to ReSe? Let's coordinate. Hit me up on here. Not sure if there is a WnB this week. I might be there. Not sure.
    Certainly...they existed. Those blinded by ambition... Those consumed with vengeance...

• TactiksTactiks Spoon Joined: Posts: 709
    What?!? I get to see SieClayton again?!? Lol, been a min homie.

Damn son, where the hell did you all come from. This thread has been dead for a while now and I just so happen to be like let me go check and see if anyone has questions and BHAM!! freaking posts busting out the seams lmao!!

While you guys are still here let me update you on ReSe...
    KOF is looking good so far. If you play and are looking for new competition/blood then come out and play. VA is bringing a crew down (minus Huoshen and RyRy, they're going to SCR) and they will be playing KOF.

As for the rest it's looking really good. I may actually finally hit 200 people this month, fingers crossed. But SCR/EVO messed me up with the road to evo announcement. I had a lot of the EC top players making plans to come out this month until the announcement. Ahhh, lol. Oh well there is always next month ;)

Anyways, enough rambling on my part. If you guys have any questions hit me up.

See you Saturday.
    What's RESE?

Welcome to NC bro ;)
    Rockem Sockem (ReSe) Regional Monthly Tournaments!!!
    ReSe Tournaments / Facebook Group
    Upcoming ReSe: Jan 19th, Feb 9th, March 16th
    Forgot to remind you guys that Gummow will be in attendance Saturday for ReSe and will have a booth setup to do mods for you guys. Bring your sticks or whatever with you and you can finally get that mod you have been needing done!!
    s I mentioned before Gummo will be at ReSe. He has these new buttons that look pretty cool. They are silent like the new sanwas but they last a whole lot longer. Make sure you ask him about them when you see him at ReSe. He has 70 buttons remaining. Here is the info on the buttons...

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fhbfs-30-all-new-arcade-button-update-12-11-2012.164416%2F
  • Done_WethuDone_Wethu Joined: Posts: 6
    Hello, fellow gamers! As the title says, I am looking for KOF XIII players that live in Fayetteville, North Carolina. I usually play at Elite Zone on Fridays (or whenever people on this page says to go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/300457959993546/), and fight against three or four people. If you've never been to Elite Zone and would like to play against other gamers please come on by. If you can't make it, or don't like the place, then tell me where you usually play and we can meet up. And, hey, if you like to play other fighting games, that's all the more reason to come by Elite Zone--or ask for other players to go where you go. Thank you for your time.
    "Desire is half of life; indifference is half of death."

--Kahlil Gibran
    Hey, are there any gamers in or near Fayetteville that play KOF XIII?

--Kahlil Gibran
  • Alice-chanAlice-chan KDP Alice-chan Joined: Posts: 1,029
    Hey, are there any gamers in or near Fayetteville that play KOF XIII?

Derek, Sal and Vic all play at Elite Zone on Fridays usually 7pm onward.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/300457959993546/

you can post up here if you have a fb.
    KDP4 on February 23rd, Poverty Fest March 23rd, Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 NC Invitational April 27th
  • PorterPorter Upstart Joined: Posts: 1,557
    Alright I'm trying to get rid of this TE. It's the SFxT version. PS3. Been through some rough and tumble. The door that holds the chord has gone missing and I can't tell, but there seems to be some kind of dent in the panel. I'll throw in a bag of (some-used, some new) buttons, and extra (new) JLF, two octagon gates and 3 balltops (one purple seimitsu bubble, one pink mesh sanwa, one yellow sanwa)

pics:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img138/3677/imag0976o.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img401/6030/imag0977m.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img842/7232/imag0978j.jpg
    Stylish!
    Derek, Sal and Vic all play at Elite Zone on Fridays usually 7pm onward.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/300457959993546/

you can post up here if you have a fb.
    Oh, sorry for the confusion, Mike. It's me, Derek. Just trying to find other players that never come out to EZ. By the way, got some good matches in, and been working with the team I've been having for the past few months now: Kyo, King, and Yuri. Can't wait to play you guys in KDP. :)

--Kahlil Gibran
    Sorry guys not gonna be able to make ReSe today. Feeling like crap. Hope to see you all soon though.

There's a WNB this week Lu, come on out!

Took out Foomy in grand finals and held it down for NC in KoF. OJ beat Roach King in Marvel. West won AE. Ace won Tekken. NC held down their own tournament for like the first time ever.

Ed: I guess that video is telling me I should play Kim lol

• Orochi_NegroOrochi_Negro son of a bitch must pay Joined: Posts: 806
    Oh its a new thread....HI GUYS!!!!

PokChop won Tekken. Ace got 2nd.

Im back on the KoF grind, sorta. Ive been testing between Robert and Billy at the last couple of WNB events ive gone to. Kyo and Clark are gonna stay though.Now if only I could leave those damn single player games alone, I might be getting somewhere.

I wasnt able to make ReSe, had to be dad. Aint nothing more scary than a baby with a snotty nose that cant blow it so they cant sleep which then makes them miserable.

So whats the word on MindGames: Ignition this weekend? If im not able to go to KiT (Kumite in Tennessee, a huge Tekken tournament) I would be down for MGI.
    If you aren't making mistakes....you aren't trying

I posted that vid because the only problem jon has is movement issues. Other than that i am glad he is on the NC KOF team.
    Ed: I guess that video is telling me I should play Kim lol

Yes. LOL. Far standing D is +3 on guard. Stupid.
    For those of you that liked Arcana 1/2 and didn't get into 3, I'd take a look at the changes for the game. It sounds like they're moving toward something more like AH2 with some neutral homing changes and Arcana Blast back...and something like an EX Arcana Blaze?

Kira could be really scary now.
  • Return of ShikiReturn of Shiki Your favorite game sucks Joined: Posts: 4,391
    Game isn't going to stop being dumb until they fix dumb characters and the fact that dumb characters have access to X-Factor every 8 seconds.
    If you listen to fools, the mob rules...
  • 7thFonon7thFonon Joined: Posts: 563
    Arcana Heart 3 : LM full change list

http://curbeh.blogspot.jp/2013/01/arcana-heart-3-love-max-current-changes.html
    Game isn't going to stop being dumb until they fix dumb characters and the fact that dumb characters have access to X-Factor every 8 seconds.
    Wut :V
    \

Yes. LOL. Far standing D is +3 on guard. Stupid.

And it jumps over lows, and it anti airs, AND you get a full combo off of it. That move is dummmmmmmmbbb. Practically every team at SCR had Kim on it.