I lost every match i played online

ZadawnZadawn Joined: Posts: 9
Not a single win,i always try to be mobile,combo around,do more moves than just stay crouched and throw a kick or a punch.

It seems liek everybody's so cheap,not trying to do anything besides staying crouched and waiting for you.

I'm getting an arcade stick tomorrow,if i don't see an improvement i give up.

Sorry but i had to vent.

Comments

• J.DJ.D Fortune favors the prepared... Joined: Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you give up so easily, maybe fighting games aren't for you....
    with that said, if you enjoy competition, I don't understand why don't you enjoy the fact that there's so much people out there better than you.
    I personally find that motivating, and yes, losing a lot happens at first, but what did you expect? you can't be good at something if you don't put in the effort.
    Twitter: @SRKJD
    UMVC3: Spencer/Dante/Magneto
    XBL: TRUJD3S
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX I'm well Aware Joined: Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting an arcade stick won't be the instant improvment everybody seems to think it will be.

You also have to put in work to be able to control your character with it.

If you put in the practice and time, it will show up in your play.
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    How many matches we talking about?

100? 300? 700? I don't think I got my first legit (read: not afk, not laggy) win around match number 120 something. I don't think I got any good at Street Fighter until I stopped worrying about winning.

You have to practice this game because everyone else has been doing just the same. They will just block everything you do because you haven't shown them why they should risk anything else. It's not cheap - it's just smart fighting. If you can beat an opponent without showing all your tricks, why show all your tricks?

Street Fighter is hard.
  • doubleohdoubleoh Joined: Posts: 258
    It's not about winning, it's about learning and familiarizing yourself with the matchups. Change your mindset. I lose a lot and when I do, I ask myself what I did wrong and how I can improve.
    SSFIVAE: Abel
  • ZadawnZadawn Joined: Posts: 9
    If you give up so easily, maybe fighting games aren't for you....
    with that said, if you enjoy competition, I don't understand why don't you enjoy the fact that there's so much people out there better than you.
    I personally find that motivating, and yes, losing a lot happens at first, but what did you expect? you can't be good at something if you don't put in the effort.
    I'm completely fine when someone's better than me,what i don't like is the fact that everybody seems to use cheap tactics as i have described in my first post.
    I have spent good hours in the training mode,and only with Dudley,the character i want to learn as much as possible.Even though i have a mechanical keyboard which allows me to push many buttons at once and such i still feel it is very unreliable,especially the movement keys.
    I'm completely fine when someone's better than me,what i don't like is the fact that everybody seems to use cheap tactics as i have described in my first post.
    I have spent good hours in the training mode,and only with Dudley,the character i want to learn as much as possible.Even though i have a mechanical keyboard which allows me to push many buttons at once and such i still feel it is very unreliable,especially the movement keys.
    When learning a new character you need to learn somethings:

1. What is my max punish combo? What can you land that does a good chunk of damage, 10/10 times? ( This might be Dudley's :d::hk:, :hcf::hk:,:hk: )
    2. What are my Anti-Airs? Reversal SRK is not a reliable anti-air, especially not Dudley's, no invincibility.
    3. How am I losing / What is my weakness? Do you get crossed up easily? Do you get Counter-Hit a lot?
    4. What buttons do I have to provide pressure? What pokes can you go to, in order to establish some bit of a ground game?

I don't know what to tell you with Dudley, other than he's a harder character to learn at first. That being said - if you're new to Street Fighter, NOBODY will be easy to learn. No matter who you pick up you will go through a few hundred losses before you feel confident in even why you are losing.

edit:
    Also a side-note. There is no such thing as "cheap tactics" (outside of legit infinites). If someone sits there and throws fireballs the entire match, what's worse: winning with some boring cheap tactic, or losing to such a cheap tactic.
    "Cheap" is just what you haven't learned to deal with first - the point of fighting games is to be the most "cheap", it's to make sure your opponent has NO chance to do anything they want.
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭
    It seems liek everybody's so cheap,not trying to do anything besides staying crouched and waiting for you.

Maybe you're just hitting so many random buttons that opponents are just crouch blocking and waiting for you to screw up so they can punish. You need to really evaluate what it is you're doing, why you're doing it and why you're losing.

And how many matches are we talking about?
    KoF97 - Chizuru/Yamazaki/Choi | KoF98 - Chizuru/Iori/Kyo/O.Chris | KoF2k2 - Kim/Whip/Athena/Choi |
    Kof13 - Duolon/Kim/Shen Woo | UMVC3 - Morrigan/Doom/Magneto | P4U - Shadow Labrys | SFxT - Lili/Xiaoyu |
    GGXXAC - DIZZY
    I'm probably pissed because i expect that a 0 PP player should be at my skill level but i barely manage to win a round.

I am not just mashing buttons,i am trying to do combos whenever i can,block etc I think im just not good at blocking,i seem to eat most hits.

There's so much wrong with my play style right now, i can't even write in an order that makes sense.

At least the replies here motivate me and make me realize my wrongs.
    I'm probably pissed because i expect that a 0 PP player should be at my skill level but i barely manage to win a round.

I am not just mashing buttons,i am trying to do combos whenever i can,block etc I think im just not good at blocking,i seem to eat most hits.

There's so much wrong with my play style right now, i can't even write in an order that makes sense.

At least the replies here motivate me and make me realize my wrongs.
    This sounds like a typical first start - you don't know why you are getting hit, it's just happening a lot and that sucks. It will take a lot of time before you start to understand why you're even losing though. Go into Player Matches and find a small lobby and just grind out a few hours of matches there - no pressure if you lose for a few hours in a row.

It will take time to absorb the losses, but just let them wash over you, try to remember the matches where you really were just devastated. Go back and rewatch some of your fights, if it looks very obvious when you're doing something wrong ask yourself what you could have done better. Try to find someone to train with online - someone that will be happy to point out the things you are doing wrong.

A lot of Street Fighter comes down to learning where and when you can be on what parts of the screen. If you're at the wrong spot at the wrong time, you're in for some trouble. Dudley's main problems are going to be getting into any real damage. His combos are fun and flashy, but he doesn't have a whole lot of ways to open someone up into not blocking. Dudley cannot cross up, his sweep is the slowest in the game, and his normals are ok, but have a shorter range on most of the fast ones. To do well with Dudley you need to really be in their face, hitting them with overheads when they don't expect it (they never should), tripping them with that slow ass sweep when you finally get them to block high.

But being in someone's face means you need to know WHAT buttons to hit at what times, and that comes with matchup experience. There are 39 characters, so that means you're looking at 1,444 matches just to see every character against every other character, and that's not including the different playstyles for each character, or Ultras, etc. There is just literally tens of thousands of matches you'll have to go through before you can really say you know what you should do in what situation.

But the good news is once you've gotten about 2,000 matches under your belt you come over to the Newbie Zone and tell other people how to get better. B)
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,573 mod
    For future reference, please don't make posts at the Newbie Dojo just to vent. Complaining threads usually get closed immediately, but since some advice is actually coming of it, I'll keep it open.

Something you need to learn immediately, there is no such thing as cheap. Just because you don't know how to deal with down/back, doesn't mean they shouldn't be doing it. Hint: try throws and overheads.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX I'm well Aware Joined: Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Nothing is cheap, you're just free."
    "Buy 1 get 1"
    they didn't put the word "free" in there, to save the Arizona Iced Tea's feelings maybe. It was quite the hippie whole foods kinda store. As well an old classmate had his hilarious story because a chinese guy was all "buy 1 - FREE!" and just leaving out "get 1 free" was hilarious to him. Maybe you just had to be there.

-
    Good work there Beard, but OP: Zadawn, go ahead and read everything he's saying and ask questions. Or ask general ones to get you on your way if you're not at the level of understanding all those concepts being thrown at you all at once. Which is fine, those can be in your rearview and really the same way you can teach others after you get enough experience.

Yeah, a keyboard can be less reliable, even if some players have custom ones and like the benefits of keyboard control. There's no harm in moving to a more standard way to control the game in a joystick. What joystick did you get? -as a budget one may not last too long and can mess up your way to learn inputs with the joystick and buttons if they aren't adequate for extended play.

There's lots of help to find the right joystick even on a budget around here, though.
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 743
    You're going to be worse when you get your stick. It's going to take you a LONG time before you will be able to consistently win, and a long time to develop solid execution.

And there's a whole lot more to this game than staying crouched and throwing kicks and punches.
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
  • ZunKaiNeJinZunKaiNeJin Joined: Posts: 4
    Heh I'm new too, 120 matches and 7 wins. But I'm having an absolute blast playing Yun, 20 hours in 2 days. I suck really bad because no matter how hard I try NOT to I panic and button mash my way even when I'm in the lead. An arcade stick's not gonna help that, I need experience :I
  • OMG its a duckOMG its a duck Bruh I'm in down bad bruh Joined: Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭
    (outside of legit infinites)

Why this random exception?
  • The MartianThe Martian Redhead Webhead. Joined: Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming you're playing AE, so...

Getting a new stick doesn't automatically mean that it's going to be easier for you to win. Really the difference between stick and pad is just a matter of preference. I would definitely encourage you to try a stick out to see if that format works better for you, but don't force yourself to use a one. Just use what works best for you.

As for everything else, it's kinda hard to give you advice specific to your situation when you haven't really clarified specific problems, matchup issues, ect ect.
    -What character do you use?
    -Do you have a specific matchup that's giving you a hard time?
    -Are you playing too aggressively when you should be playing defensively?

Give us specifics.
    "Power is not will. It is the phenomenon of physically making things happen."

PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
    WiiU ID: IIMartianII
    XBL: III Martian III

My Tumblr.
    3DS Code: 4957-4227-9462
  • J.DJ.D Fortune favors the prepared... Joined: Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you keep defining them as cheap tactics that means that you're not ok with them being better than you.
    Twitter: @SRKJD
    UMVC3: Spencer/Dante/Magneto
    XBL: TRUJD3S
  • hlxinohlxino Joined: Posts: 30
    I suggest you to start playing in a defensive mode and reactive mode. I learnt to play that style once i switched to Gief. Sounds boring at the beggining but it rally teaches you what you can do and what you can't do in the game.

What you do is you start by learning what is your fastest normal (eg crouching lp or lk) and what moves it can punish ( shoryoukens or other blocked normals). from there play defensive or footsies game and attacking only when the opponent whiffs something and react with your fastest nromal into a combo. After a few games (20-30+) you will get a good grasp of your characters punish combos and will start beating lots of people online.

From there start working on an offensive game where you start looking at set ups, ambiguous cross ups etc and you should slowly refine your game from there
  • ugo_2uugo_2u Joined: Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭
    Not a single win,i always try to be mobile,combo around,do more moves than just stay crouched and throw a kick or a punch.

Sorry but i had to vent.
    Tell me young one, why do you deserve to win?
    ssf4ae v2012 tutorial archive http://www.padstickgaming.com/
    Footsie Guide by Maj PDF: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30414642/footsie guide.pdf
    Follow me on Twitter @ugo_2u
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Toji Sake Joined: Posts: 388 ✭✭✭
    I also want to know why the character Dudly. Because from the sounds of it, this would reflect maybe that you're picking something that doesn't suit your playstyle.
    Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu,
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    Tell me young one, why do you deserve to win?
    Because i feel like i'm putting more effort into my movements and play style overall than most of my opponents .

Anyway,thanks guys for all your tips i really appreciate it.Even if i'm not replying to all of you just know that your advice is not in vain,i take points from all off you and try to replicate them in game.Thank you.
    I also want to know why the character Dudly. Because from the sounds of it, this would reflect maybe that you're picking something that doesn't suit your playstyle.
    Mainly because no matter the game i play i always pick/create a character that resembles me and my character as a person,more or less.
    Why this random exception?
    I can see how someone might make a case that legit infinites are "cheap". I do not subscribe to this thought however, as they aren't trivial to execute in most recent games.

Most games
    play marvel
    its not available on PC and i like SF better.
    ^ It is. And don't play Marvel if you're upset about randomness and cheap strategy LOL. That said, i don't think you're giving your opponents enough credit, especially when you don't understand the game all that well (thats not a shot, just stating the facts). That said, are you watching pro videos of the players and breaking down their gameplay and style? And trying to learn. Also, i've been playing for quite a long time and I play on PC. Why dont you add me and I can show you some tips and tricks. How does that sound? I'll pm you my user info.
  • ugo_2uugo_2u Joined: Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭
    care to upload your matches on youtube? I bet I can show you why you are losing so much
    ssf4ae v2012 tutorial archive http://www.padstickgaming.com/
    Footsie Guide by Maj PDF: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30414642/footsie guide.pdf
    Follow me on Twitter @ugo_2u
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 743
    ^ It is. And don't play Marvel if you're upset about randomness and cheap strategy LOL. That said, i don't think you're giving your opponents enough credit, especially when you don't understand the game all that well (thats not a shot, just stating the facts). That said, are you watching pro videos of the players and breaking down their gameplay and style? And trying to learn. Also, i've been playing for quite a long time and I play on PC. Why dont you add me and I can show you some tips and tricks. How does that sound? I'll pm you my user info.

Wait UMvC3 is available on PC?
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
    Oh wow, I apologize apparently I'm wrong. That's confusing because everyone on my list when I'm playing has Marvel vs Capcom 3 but it must be the XBox version and it's just linked to the PC gamertag. Sorry guys, didnt mean to give you all a heart attack lol
  • ProximaProxima Joined: Posts: 8
    I just started, and have played about 100 or so matches and only have won 7 times. However, fighting games are not about winning, they're about getting better at the game (just like any hobby or anything in life you wish to learn).

One of the reasons people probably use the same "cheap" tactics is because they're easy to beat people who don't know how to defend against them. It's actually good for you that they do this since they force you to fight around common strategies that are typically doable by anyone who picks up the controller.

Also, an arcade stick won't make you instantly better, in fact, you may see a slight drop in skill because you aren't used to playing with it.

If your purpose is to get better, then it becomes easier to set small objectives for each match like, don't get caught in the enemy's jump kick approach followed by a low kick (which is usually followed by some other combo); try to block both, or escape. Instead of winning, try to get off a particular combo that you've learned in training.

You have to break the game down and start small. I've pretty much exclusively been doing quick matches when I play online, and I've played against some very good people (haha, well good when compared to me :p), so your goal can't be to just win. If it is you will find yourself getting more and more frustrated and you will inevitably just give up. Break the game down into fundamentals, strengthen those, and slowly move up. If you focus on small objectives, success comes much quicker, as well as satisfaction if you view putting nails in and laying a foundation as an accomplishment, instead of only the final product of the house.

I wish you luck!
  • Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 189
    I felt the same way when I first started SF4. I had played games like SF2, ST, Xmen vs SF, etc etc. I thought I was good and was getting wrecked. I went like 50/50 all over the place. I started playing with people locally and recording my matches to watch where I was making mistakes.

It seems kind of lame but even if you can't record a match, get a pen and paper. Anytime you get hit or caught by something that makes you go "Wait... how did that hit me?" write it down. Look it up. Ask us here. We will do our best to give you a hand.

It's a steep learning curve to get into the "higher" end of Street Fighter, and other fighting games, to get to the point where you understand the mechanics, how to win and the ability to understand why it is you lost... It takes time, bro. Depending on how often you can play and for how long, I would really say you're looking at a good 2-3 months before the fog even starts to clear. 6 months + before you can really absorb what is going on. As has been previously mentioned, it's a steep curve.
    MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.
  • Will GottiWill Gotti Born Again Hooligan Joined: Posts: 740
    A couple of words of wisdom from when I lived in Washington up in Fort Lewis. I left Washington 10 years ago April 2002 and these words stuck with me. I hung around with all the best players from the Northwest forums. One friend who was a road dog and a top Tekken player told me, "surround yourself with success". Simple as that. It will only make you become better. Scrub tactics should be nothing for you and you'll gain insight from better players. Just translate that over to any game. I always did hang around the better players in whatever area I was in, that phrase/ideology never dawned on me until he told me one day in casual conversation while we were playing. It never dawned on me because I was doing it anyways without giving it much thought. Quitting before you even get started shouldn't be an option.
    - This thread is DiGiorno - Wolfkiller
    - Daniel LaRusso to Lucille LaRusso - Are you on something? Yea, I'm on Minute Maid.
    SRK Kobra Kai [The Duke Togo - Zipper upper of bodybags] - It's Will Gotti M.D. Bitch, Dazzler of Mademoiselles
    AV by Yeah Dood 120%
  • tharimrattlertharimrattler Colossus Legend Joined: Posts: 3,089
    when i started playing competitively I lost at least 100 times without winning. Learn from your losses and you will improve.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,543 mod

new players dont have a playstyle
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic キコケン Joined: Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭
    I'm completely fine when someone's better than me,what i don't like is the fact that everybody seems to use cheap tactics.

Stop right there. There are no cheap tactics. If someone is just sitting back and waiting for you to do something and punishing, its because you did something stupid, and they know you're playing stupid, so theyre giving you a rope to hang yourself with.

Don't do stupid shit, and people wont sit around waiting for you to do it. When people play new players, we realize that you guys think the game is all about combos and doing moves as quickly as possible (you guys dont seem to realize, we just need to hold back, more often than not, we dont need to anticipate you doing anything specific). We also realize that you dont have a sound strategy, so you're going to do full screen special moves, and you'll in general - be very random. You cant out think a person who doesnt think, right? So just let them kill themselves. This game gives the player who is losing access to the most damaging moves in the game (ultras), why on earth would a good player want to pressure you when we all know you are just mashing ultra 90% of the time?
    Xbox live, GFWL and GGPO:Necrotrophic
    Chun Li (SF4, ST, 3s), Akuma (SF4), Ryu (SF4,ST, 3s), Cammy (SF4, ST)
    youtube.com/necrotrophic
  • CapoeiraMataUmCapoeiraMataUm Forca Rara Joined: Posts: 93
    Some people take months to get good with a stick. There's no reason to get one if you're happy with your keyboard

Read, read, read. Just look up "footsies guide" and you'll find tons of good stuff (check out sonic hurricane). Read the game manual, read character guides, and anything else you can find (from a reputable source)

Watch high level matches. How does Dudley get in? How does keep people out? Learn your tools and learn what is used and when.

Offense
    What moves are most used to get in? Remember the moves and how they're used. For someone chucking a lot of fireballs you can use duck, but against someone just throwing a lot of lows you can't

Learn what attacks let you keep pressuring once you're in. Things like your overhead, your strong frame advantage buttons, and how to follow up with them if they land. You should practice your combos until you have to try and miss them to mess up. Landing a hit and consistently following up with a combo will make you feel good even if it rarely happens

Defense
    Here are your anti-air's and longer range pokes. Look at what people press when someone is almost on top of them. Go into training room and practice and try to work against them. Record the computer jumping or trying to get in and then develop reactions for that. You need to practice until it's hard to not press the right button at the right time

Then you have your GTFO moves. Here are uppercuts and shit like that. The most important part about these... remember to not mash them. Every time you want to throw one first ask yourself if it's going to land, where the two of you will end up afterwards, and if you have to can you make it safe (FADC)?

General stuff
    If someone is 'spamming' something that's perfect. You know exactly what they're gonna do. Find a way to beat it and spam that every time they start

Give yourself goals. Before every match decide on what you're going to work on and stick to that. Sure, you might ignore other parts of your game but that's okay while you're internalizing something. You'll learn how to meld things later on as you practice

One of the biggest problem people seem to have is with defense. Everything starts to go too fast for you to react, you can't think, you can't predict what's next, etc. Work on that. Just start playing a really defensive game and focus on just blocking and punishing them when they do something stupid. If you're having trouble against a specific character or move practice against it in the training mode

Just try and break everything down to its core components and take one step at a time. I hope this helps
  • John SupaJohn Supa Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey man,

I'm not a pro, I'm still pretty new to the game. I also understand 100% what your going through. I think you need to change your mind set though or this game won't be fun for you. Firstly, there is no such thing as a cheap way to play. I play Ryu and start most matches by back dashing and seeing how my opponent reacts to a fireball. If they just sit there and eat it, I'm gonna keep doing it because a) I don't need to put myself in a dangerous situation and b) I get free meter. Secondly, losing is the only way to get better, calm down, take the L, watch the replay and try to see what you did wrong. Thirdly, spend more time in training mode, I do like an hour+ a day before even trying to go online.
    If all else fails, ex-thunderbolt

I would like to petition a ban for this advice.
    I would like to petition a ban for this advice.
    Seriously? I thought that it was okay to make a joke after writing all that I did. I guess I'll edit that
    Seriously? I thought that it was okay to make a joke after writing all that I did. I guess I'll edit that
    As you can see from my very stern sheep hat that I am wearing in my avatar, I don't joke about anything good sir.
    As you can see from my very stern sheep hat that I am wearing in my avatar, I don't joke about anything good sir.
    Oh, okay :P. I've seen people actually complain about that kind of stuff. You find all kinds of weirdos online x_X X_x
  • Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 189
    Yeah, weird stuff like some guy thinking combos are glitches that shouldn't be used? Right, brah?
    MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.
    Yeah, weird stuff like some guy thinking combos are glitches that shouldn't be used? Right, brah?
    You didn't actually read what I said then.

Zadawan: Have you playing on some streams? A lot of time people are helpful and will give you tips. It'll also help with the nerves issue
  • ProximaProxima Joined: Posts: 8
    new players dont have a playstyle

I would disagree :p
    Being a new player, I would say my style is fairly different from the other newbs I play against. Now, whether or not the style is effective or even competitive is another topic entirely. But there are definitely newb-ish play styles and characters that benefit those play styles (to some very negligible degree, especially at higher-levels of play).
    For instance: aggressive button masher, the wait, use one-skill against an approach and then wait again, never block, always block, etc. The style usually isn't deep but that's because the mechanics of the game are, and without appropriate knowledge the style will usually just have one layer of intricacy instead of the incredible complexity of some of the higher-level players I've watched.

But I would agree with your implications, a player probably shouldn't choose a character based on their "style" of play, but based on whether or not they like the character since you have to spend an incredible time playing that character and your style will evolve and develop to fit your character, not the other way around.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,543 mod
    But I would agree with your implications, a player probably shouldn't choose a character based on their "style" of play, but based on whether or not they like the character since you have to spend an incredible time playing that character and your style will evolve and develop to fit your character, not the other way around.

ya thats exactly what I meant!

just like a novice guitar player wont suddenly find great success when they stumble on their style of music, there wont be some moment of great skill increase when you find the character that suits your playstyle. playstyles are developed and learned, not god-given.
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • CrystalCoreCrystalCore Joined: Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I'm completely fine when someone's better than me,what i don't like is the fact that everybody seems to use cheap tactics as i have described in my first post..

*genocide cutters Zadawn... wait wrong series*
  • NickRocksNickRocks On the west side I'm screaming FUCK KD Joined: Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but i had to vent.
    I lost over a thousand times before I won once.

Now look at me, im gdlk :nunchuck:
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Flawless Prosecutor. Joined: Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been on SRK for awhile, so a lot of advice I could say has already been said. So all I have left is this handy tip.
    Get it in your head, right now as a matter of fact, that points and ranks mean jack shit on fighting games. This is mainly because any rank can be boosted, rendering the points inaccurate as hell. For instance, there is a phenomenon on any fighting game with a lobby feature that I like to refer to as "Zero point heroes".
    These so called motherfuckers don't play ranked. They don't know what BP or PP means. But what they do know, is how to lab rat as hard as desk himself. And they spend their time only doing lobby matches with friends and strangers, making themselves better players without the title to prove it. When you meet one, if the thought "Oh, they're less experienced than i am." crosses your mind even once then you already lost the upcoming game. Because your guard will be down at first thinking you should show this poor noob some mercy. WRONG!! 50% combo right off the bat leaving your brain full of fuck and your self confidence in pieces.
    Case in point. IF points actually meant something to show your prowess in that game, why is Justin Wong's rank on marvel below 9th lord?

TL;DR Points mean nothing. Stop paying attention to them.

Also. I played 70 straight matches with no wins when I first started. Using Juri as my first ever street fighter character. Thinking back that was probably a really rough path to choose initially. Your first character choice could easily not be your smartest one. Though it could just as easily be the most enjoyable to you. Weird contradiction but it makes sense when you get there.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    Thank you guys for the additional input here,i appreciate it and try to put it at good use.
  • The 5th HorsemanThe 5th Horseman Rushdown Artist Joined: Posts: 408
    Do you play on PC ? Id be willing to run a session with you and help out however I can. Aside from that, here:

Most important things to learn regarding street fighter:

Block:

Everyone loves hitting buttons and just going nuts, but if youre playing to win, this is probably the most important thing to learn. If you cant block well, the first time you get knocked down, you might as well just go make a sandwich and wait for round 2, especially vs mixup characters like viper, seth, fuerte, etc.

Develop a strong ground game:

Street fighter is a game where *typically* jumping is bad. As dudley, you have no reason to ever jump, except to neutral jump a projectile, or to safejump the opponents wakeup. Dudley has good footsie tools. Learn what they are, and how to use them. It will take time, but it will develop your neutral game, and thats incredibly important.

Learn to anti air:

Dudley has some pretty great AA's, particularly st.mk and depending on the matchup, cr.hk. Learn how to AA properly. Just as the opponent shouldnt allow you to jump in for free, you should deny them their jump in options as well. This kinda goes along with blocking to form "Defense" as a whole.

Dont go overboard learning combos. Yeah, theye great to do, and feel good when you land a sick combo, but fundementals will always prevail. If you cant land a 1 frame link combo, dont go for it until you can do it consistently. Do a simpler BnB. It may do less damage, but it will be consistent, reliable damage. Going along with this, is knowing when to use which combo. Your best punish combo may not always be optimal if it ends up leaving you in less than favorable positioning. Theres a trade off to be had. Personally, most of the time I will go for a slightly less damaging version of whatever combo if it gives me a good setup UNLESS I know the combo will stun, or end the round... or its a corner combo. no reason to not do optimal corner combos.

DONT GET DISCOURAGED:

Yes. You are going to get your ass kicked. Over, and over and over. It will happen. Deal with it. Learn from it. No one can just jump into the game and be godlike unless you have a really strong fundemental knowledge of the game, or you train with world class talent on a regular basis and have them to learn from. Regardless if you lose, ultimately, who cares ? Unless its a tournament setting, or its for bragging rights, it doesnt really matter at all. Yeah, you lose points. Big deal. The thing that sets aside those who excel and those who dont, is the fact that even though they are losing in one aspect, they are gaining knowledge and experience from every loss. If you won every match, what would you ever learn ? People learn through losing / failing. Its just how things work.

Remember:

Its online......there are a million and one random online warriors who play AE. Take it with a (no pun intended -_-) grain of salt.
    " Drunk or not, I always play for my stream monsters. " Drunk FChamp
    " There are no pacts between lions and men. " - Achilles
This discussion has been closed.