Help! Doing fine in training, dropping everything in matches...

FerocityFerocity Starting from scratch...Joined: Posts: 7
(Looking for some more advice. I've asked a similar question before.)

So I've been training for quite some time now. I own and practice in SF4, UMvC3, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur 5, PS Allstars, Tekken 6 on a regular basis (mostly SF4 and UMvC3.) Sometimes for hours at a time. In the training room on SF4/UMvC3/MK I can do combos/stuff just fine. As soon as I play against the computer(no matter what difficulty) I drop all the combos and can't get an offense going. It's even worse against a human opponent.

On the flip side in SC5, PS Allstars and, Tekken 6...I do just fine and can keep up with opponents of my skill level or sometimes higher. Can do combos in live matches (dropping some here and there), have some great mind games, spacing and footsies...everything really.

I guess my question is, anyone have any general advice on applying stuff from training into live matches?

On second thought maybe 2D fighters just aren't my thing, I notice I do better in the 3D ones for whatever reason.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• ProximaProxima Joined: Posts: 8
    2D and 3D fighters are completely different; what you know in one doesn't necessarily apply to the other; being good at SC5 wont really do much for you in SSF4AE.

Landing combos in 2D fighters requires a bit more finesse, in my opinion, than 3D fighters. Everything has to be tighter and more rhythmical in a 2D fighter. That's not to say that 3D fighters don't require skill; I guess 2D fighters are just more percussive, where timing is insanely important, and being off-beat is incredibly punishable.

When I play games like SC5, DOA5, etc, it seems like I have a bit more room for error. Then again, it could be because I am strictly better at 3D fighters as well (I grew up playing DOA, SE, and SC2), however, I definitely like 2D fighter mechanics more.

I never really had to analyze my play style or spend time practicing combos with 3D fighters, I was always able to just pick up and play and be decent; I was able to learn new tricks and combos as I went on, my skill progressing with normal, casual play.
    SOOOO not the case with 2D fighters haha.

Anyways, I know this wasn't advice. I can't really offer any; if you enjoy 2D fighters I would just say keep practicing; try practicing with a friend in training mode, that way you guys can just fight endlessly without worrying about killing each other or running out of time; try to incorporate your combos appropriately; if you don't have a friend to play with, play the computer on various difficulties and practice your combos that way; I would recommend never practicing on a frozen dummy unless you are trying to internalize the physical requirements of some input, after that, always practice against something that is moving, blocking, and fighting back; after a while you will be landing combos on the computer, and then you will see a lot of that translate into decent online performance.

Best of luck!
  • omfgomfg Joined: Posts: 2,028
    you need to find that situation where the opponent is open like a training dummy. if the combo has such sensitive conditions that it won't work on a moving opponent, you probably need to drop it
    see ya buddy

even if you die, I'll kill you... :badboy:
    <3 don't let life fool you. everything is black or white
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX OMG EREN HOLY SHEEEYYYYYT! Joined: Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could have something to do with how you are playing 6 fighting games at the same time. You are trying to divide your attention across too many borders and it's throwing a monkey wrench into your transition to the 2D plane. A decent number of people can handle 2 fighting games at once and be good at both. A small few can handle 3. 4 or more is pretty rare. And i mean "handling" as in "can be considered above average in x amount of fighting games".

Also realize that while 2D games do rely on combos, that they are not unlike the 3D counterparts where combos aren't everything. Mixups, poking, punishing, and predicting are still rather important. Learning a 99 hit combo on AE isn't the end-all solution to being good at the game. Many other skills need to compliment your combos. It might also help to try and spend more time in the fight, rather than preparing for one.

One last thing. Are you character hopping or sticking with one or two? Are you reading up on your frame data? Do you know that you can't combo on Sakura after she does EX tatsu, because it's safe on block? And I haven't played AE in a hot minute but if you are on XBL hit me up and I'll go a few with you and see if I can't dismantle what your problems are.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • FerocityFerocity Starting from scratch... Joined: Posts: 7
    Thanks for the replies guys!

@Prox Yeah I too notice the same thing about 3D fighters. It seems to take less practice to be able to pull off combos in matches. Idk why really. Maybe my fault is like you said I always practice on a frozen dummy set to auto block. So they don't move, and when an opponent in match is jumping/moving around I don't know when to try and execute my combo. Maybe I'll start small and try to set the CPU to walk forward/jump in, then work my way from there.

@omfg Most of the combos I try are bnbs, with the occasional big flashy combo. In training those are no prob but in a match it's dropped almost always. You're prolly right, I should drop the harder combos for only bnbs right now.

@G4m3R I do stretch myself kinda thin. I'm just trying to find at least one 2D and one 3D fighter that sticks well with me. My best are prolly SF4 and Tekken 6. As for characters, I started with Gief long ago, then Ryu/Adon/Thawk/Oni/Guile. Recently I've been working on Sagat. The character that clicks most with me is Oni I feel. I've studied a lot on here in the character forms as well as on youtube watching how people play, plus watching general fighting game guides. My friend that comes over from time to time plays a good Sakura, so I've learned the hard way on that lol. And if you'd be willing to hop on and play sometime I'd love that. I'll PM you my tag. Thanks!
  • ffffffffffffff Joined: Posts: 155
    I spend time in practice mode with the CPU in KoF 13 set to actually fight, with the sole purpose of trying to land certain moves, pokes or combos. Since it's practice mode, it can go on forever and imo is a great way to transition between the initial practicing of your moveset against autoblock and working your way to doing better in actual matches.
  • NickRocksNickRocks On the west side I'm screaming FUCK KD Joined: Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like you need more practice >:(

seriously though, just watch matches, youll see even the pros drop combos all the time. its not the drop thats important but being able to get the combo
  • tanabetanabe Stay Cool Joined: Posts: 934
    sounds like you need more practice >:(

seriously though, just watch matches, youll see even the pros drop combos all the time. its not the drop thats important but being able to get the combo

this.

play the comp while in training mode if you have to.

for me personally; once i learn a new combo, i practice in training mode until i can perform it at least 80-90% of the time. start with basic bnbs (like you said you would) then add flash to it as you get more proficient with the basic skeleton of the combo.

then i go into single player, do the same. then i play against people and i can usually get everything down more than half the time by this point.

watch videos to see how other people set their shit up (like spacing, hit confirming into the combo, etc...)
    PSN: hairypeckpeck