Who can't be safe jumped?

AlexTwoAlexTwo Joined: Posts: 19
*This is for SSFAE2012, btw. Forgot to mention in the title*
Other than the normal 3-frame-uppercut dudes, and Dhalsim/Akuma/E.Ryu with their teleports, who can't be safe jumped? I've heard that grapplers can't be safe jumped either but I'm not sure I understand why.

Also is there any certain character that it's good to practice safe jumps on? Or any tips to make them more consistent? I've been having a lot of trouble with Vega's safe jump (whiff cr. strong after EX Izuna) and I'm not entirely sure how to figure out what's going wrong. All I can tell is that I'm consistently being hit by Rising Jaguar every time I try. I've also tried doing it on Guile, but couldn't get it either. The only character I've successfully safe jumped is Sagat and that was only when I switched to whiffing cr. forward instead of cr. strong.

Comments

• OMG its a duckOMG its a duck Bruh I'm in down bad bruh Joined: Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much everyone can be safe-jumped in one way or another. Those teleporters can still be safe-jumped, it's just that they can sometimes get away from the pressure, but you're still safely jumping at them :p If you want to punish the teleports then you should see if you have any option selects that punish the teleports.

As for screwing up the safe-jumps, as far as I know, it's just a link after whatever you did before the normal you're whiffing, so plinking will probably help.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭✭
    *This is for SSFAE2012, btw. Forgot to mention in the title*
    Other than the normal 3-frame-uppercut dudes, and Dhalsim/Akuma/E.Ryu with their teleports, who can't be safe jumped? I've heard that grapplers can't be safe jumped either but I'm not sure I understand why.

Also is there any certain character that it's good to practice safe jumps on? Or any tips to make them more consistent? I've been having a lot of trouble with Vega's safe jump (whiff cr. strong after EX Izuna) and I'm not entirely sure how to figure out what's going wrong. All I can tell is that I'm consistently being hit by Rising Jaguar every time I try. I've also tried doing it on Guile, but couldn't get it either. The only character I've successfully safe jumped is Sagat and that was only when I switched to whiffing cr. forward instead of cr. strong.

Technically you can safe-jump 3-frame uppercut dudes, but they're mostly hit box safe jumps, which are dependent on hit box placement, as opposed to just raw frame data. But besides a few exceptions, most characters cannot safe-jump at 3-frame uppercut, whereas everyone can safe jump a 4-frame or more reversal.

And assuming your setup is proven to work, you're most likely just timing it wrong. You're probably doing the cr.strong too late after the EX Izuna.
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're asking the wrong question IMO. As indicated earlier, every character can be safe-jumped given the right conditions. Grapplers can also be safe-jumped, but people say chars like Gief and Abel can't (easily) be safe-jumped because they have EX Command Throws with enough invincibility to make your jumping attack whiff, and then grabbing you during your landing frames.

The question you should be asking should be more like "What are Vega's best options after a mid-screen EX Izuna against characters X, Y and Z?" (The Vega forums should be able to help you easily with that.) Sometimes you'll find that certain x-up mixups are more effective than safe jumps simply because most people are aware of them by now.
  • dance robotdance robot Joined: Posts: 58
    Also, are you practicing a safe jump designed specifically for Adon? If I remember correctly, he gets up one frame before or after (can't remember which) most characters, which can screw with safe jump timings. Maybe you've already accounted for this, or maybe I'm full of shit, in which case please disregard.
    I'm bad at SSF4. I'm looking for someone who is similarly bad to train with offline in Austin, TX. PM me!