What do you keep in mind while playing?

EtherGKEtherGK What a Job this izzzJoined: Posts: 60
I thought it was interesting how Combofiend said that his philosophy while playing was that he was picking away at a hurricane of randomness, it was in that stream of his comeback vs Dios X the post fight interview with James Chen.

Just wanna ask, what do YOU keep in your head while you play?

Oh yeah and if you want to post, also include what you accomplished with UMVC3 (tournaments and how far placed/ratio of wins online or rank or something) even if you're just working on it.

Comments

• eivellordsm2eivellordsm2 Macho Barbarian dongzilla Joined: Posts: 1,334
  • EskillsEskills The Tyrant King Joined: Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
    I always keep patience in mind.
    Going complete autopilot can give you tunnel vision and make you forget all the tools at your disposal.
    I go to locals and usually come in first or second. Depends on if I'm bullshitting/trolling.
    I stopped playing online, but before I did i was a Cosmic Lord or something.
    3000+ wins and 700-1000 loses.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • AVowofSilenceAVowofSilence Hipster Doctor Strange Joined: Posts: 144
    " Don't jump unless you absolutely need to." I get anti-air'ed alot.
    UMVC3: "New Defenders": Taskmaster/Dante/Doctor Strange
    KOF13: Any team that has Clark in it

Stealing tech from Stark one video at a time.
  • JakeyjakeJakeyjake YOLO expert Joined: Posts: 119
    "for the love of god you're playing zero buster all of SUPAH ARMOH and fucking kill them"
    Then I die in one combo by Hulk.
    I mostly think of being annoying as possible by evading all of the players shit and to always hit low, nobody blocks low for some reason.
    Also 4th lord with like 800w:700l
  • GodotsRevengeGodotsRevenge [HE] Joined: Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually think along the lines of: "I give up"
    That was a joke. Haha.
  • NickRocksNickRocks On the west side I'm screaming FUCK KD Joined: Posts: 15,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JediLinkJediLink Has 100%'d Super Smash Bros Melee Joined: Posts: 719
    The most common thing going through my mind when I play online is "FUCKING HELMBREAKER!"
    UMvC3: Zero/Dante/Hiryu and Wright/Akuma/Hiryu
    Melee and Project M: Marth
  • axi0maxi0m I am the only God. Joined: Posts: 367
    Why I keep falling for the same resets/mixups that I used to/still do to people all the time.

(I lost to a Nova player at Winter Brawl last year who used a lot of the same high/low assist shenanigans I used to when I played Nova for awhile after UMvC3 came out)
    UMvC3: Vergil/DOOOOM/Wesker
    AE: Akuma/Juri (Currently playing around with E. Ryu and Oni though)
    MvC2: Strider/Thanos/Jin (NAKED SATELLITE BUBBLE PARTIES!)
  • motion51motion51 Joined: Posts: 365 ✭✭
    get the first hit dont fuck up! get the first hit dont fuck up!

*gets grabbed*...FUCK!!!
  • HitzelHitzel jump jump jump jump jump Joined: Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    " Don't get mad. Don't get mad. Don't get mad..."

It doesn't work.

FC: 0731-4925-9217
    Trish / RR / Ammy
    High-level Halo 1 with commentary.
  • lawlHTlawlHT youtube player Joined: Posts: 535
    100dollarbill1.jpg
    PSN: lawlHT
    UMVC3: Frauderbrand/Super Skrub/Trollmaster -currently learning: Dante, Dormammu-
    P4 Arena: Mitsuru, Labrys - Skullgirls: Filia - SSF4:AE2012: Sakura
  • SB MaximusSB Maximus Joined: Posts: 72
    When I'm losing, like I was earlier, I just keep telling myself that it's not my fault, it's the game's booty netcode making me lose. That, plus I don't have a specific "main" team.

I'm a 3rd lord, who probably shouldn't be one since I pretty much had to relearn the game after switching to stick.
    PSN: Doeomo

Mainly Marvel. I'm trying to learn some SF too.
  • D4GamersD4Gamers Just Like Cap! Joined: Posts: 268
    "DONT GET FUCKING GRABBED!!!"
    -Vanilla MvC3: Main:Zero/ Viper/ Taskmaster I Alt: Skrull/ Wesker/ Sentinel
    -Ultimate MvC3:Main: Spencer/ Hulk/ Doom I Alt: Doom/ Akuma/ Strider
    - Currently learning: Ironfist, Dante, Frank West

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • AlzarathAlzarath Remember, salt is part of a balanced diet. Joined: Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭
    "How long till my buster is charged?"
    "For the amount of new players who play FGs, you won’t see nearly enough new talent in top 8s. This is because too many people are bitches." - Aris

PSN: not_alzarath (East Coast) | @AlzarathEX
  • Huggy BearHuggy Bear Scoops Häagen-Dazs® Joined: Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭
    If they have Team Trenchcoats or even a single member.

"Wait for the Teleport helmbreaker...Wait for it...Wait for it...Wait for it..."
    *Get's hit*
    Logan / Spencer / Gouki

• JakeyjakeJakeyjake YOLO expert Joined: Posts: 119
    "Ok I can easily see that Wesker is gonna throw me after the gunshot, just get ready to hit H"
    "Instantly start mashing on H, making my H move come out"
    Then I get grabbed and then I do the same thing 3 games in a row.
  • ErenEren Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 13,390 mod
  • NonSexualRiceNonSexualRice Hey Fatty Boom Boom, Hit Me with the Ching Ching Joined: Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win
    BB: valkenhayn/Carl
    SG: Fortune/Eliza (hype train)/Valentine
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win win

I'm pretty sure that's what PR Rog had in his mind when he was HAMing down Chris G at SCR. Fuck da flood I'm gettin in.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • NeutrinoNeutrino Ensemble Forecast for the Downtrodden Joined: Posts: 293
  • AceKillahAceKillah EXS of Greed Joined: Posts: 15,378 ✭✭✭✭
    "fuck I hope I dont end up needing to use Iron Man"
    My whole life they said I was a cheat code, 
    Cause yo chance of playing on my level <0
  • Zmoney2006Zmoney2006 ifitswrong Joined: Posts: 29
    Oh they play...

"...Mag/Wolvie on point?" - To jump or not to jump...
    "...Zero may cry team?" - Will I get to play this round...
    "...Hulk AND it's online?" - Haggar/Nemesis/or Sent...
    "...Task/Nova/Mags/Viper" - Don't jump...Ever...
    "...Ammy?" - Guess my j.H/assists are useless...
    "...Oniline?" - POWER OFF
    [SIZE=12px]UMVC3: Main team = Spencer (H. Grapple Shot) / Dante (shots) / Doom (Missles)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]Side team 1 = "Team InYoFace" = Firebrand (Demon Missle Charge) / Ammy (Cold Star) / Strange (Bolts)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]Side team 2 = "Team Combos4Dayz" = [/SIZE][SIZE=12px][SIZE=12px]Dante (Jam) [/SIZE]) [/SIZE][SIZE=12px] /[/SIZE][SIZE=12px][SIZE=12px] Sentinel (Drones)[/SIZE] / Doom (Missles)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]Side team 3 = "The Big and The Bad" = Nemesis (Launcher) / Haggar (Double Lariat) /Sentinel (Drones)[/SIZE]
  • OsbjornOsbjorn Please accept this gift from my people Joined: Posts: 411
    This is something i am always practicing across all fighting games. I have decided that the best things to think about during a match are a)what my opponent is doing right now b) what will my opponent be doing in the future c) what am i going to do to put myself in an advantagous situation based on what my opponent is doing d) the tools at my disposal and what can i do to use them to win.
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: Viper/dante/strider viper/frank west/dante magneto/frank west dante
    Sfxt: Paul, Law, Bob, Guy, Heihachi, Ken
    Skullgirls: parasoul
  • DiscarnateDiscarnate Keep Calm and Don't Allow Them To Play Joined: Posts: 157
    That its Marvel, and shits gonna be dumb, can't avoid hitting the fan sometimes.

Just gotta play through and keep saltines at a minimum

Its mahvel baybee.
    I'm just Fraudlike
    UMvC3: Spy May Stride (alt: Zero/Doom/Phoenix)
    Melee/Brawl: Peach (M alt: Young Link) (Brwl alt: Falco) SF4: Viper (alts: Cammy/Yun) SFxT: Cammy x Lili
    Sometimes I need to be alone, Doom don't kill my vibe. - Play Melee its a good game. - Learning Skullbabes
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Anti-Obstructionist Joined: Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    3S/USF4- Ibuki :: KOF 98- Terry/Shermie/Kyo :: KOF XI- Terry/Oswald/Gato :: KOF XIII- Clark/EX Kyo/Terry :: GGXrd- Ram Chan

Please check out my Blog! Its what all the cool kids are doing! - http://grippingthenation.blogspot.com/
  • MaskedHero99MaskedHero99 Joined: Posts: 4
    Do cool combos , don't drop combos,do everything I practiced ....lol it all works out
  • GomuGomuGomuGomu Strider Sucks Joined: Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This guy is ass. If I lose it's because I'm bad and not because he's good."
    Strider still sucks.
  • TheRealDaddy-OTheRealDaddy-O Keepin' it classy Joined: Posts: 271
    "I need to get back in the lab"
    Why do birds suddenly appear
    Every time you are near?
    Just like me, they long to be
    Close to you
  • Chimpan-AChimpan-A Joined: Posts: 135
    Sounds silly but sometimes I have to remind myself that my mixups should actually be mixups. Otherwise I'll tend to go with the more powerful option all the time and then wonder why my opponent so easily adapted to it.
  • CougarCougar Logic, yo. Joined: Posts: 1,528
    edited February 2013
    I'm an aggressive player, so I just remind myself to seriously go ham in their face, and when the pressure is neutral, to just keep it safe. Nothing is worse in the true neutral (not a combo and no pressure advantage) than pressing something that leaves you wide open. It's like random Tastu'ing in Street Fighter - it just doesn't make sense.

When I play Strange/Haggar/Arthur, the only thing I think about is getting you to attack me so Haggar can spin in your face. Simple enough.

4th Lord online but I play at a much higher level, taking it to tournaments this winter.
    Post edited by Cougar on
    [ Magneto | Nova | Sentinel ]
    UMvC3: [Strange/Haggar/Arthur] Low tier heroes, represent!
    PSN: TheCougar44. Add me if you want to play some matches!
  • SolCalibur64SolCalibur64 Joined: Posts: 20
    edited February 2013
    Well I guess I would say is that to find a way to get in and do what your team is made to do; like, open them up. In the situation where you're about to kill a character (chip damage worthy) that you need to not whiff anything or get happy birthday'd when calling assists to do so.

If I find myself panicking trying to kill the last character then I instantly think to myself to calm the hell down and clear my mind then evaluate the situation and then start calculating/find a window to attack and finish the job. If i'm winning and there's 10 seconds left then i'm happy to keep away until time runs out.
    Post edited by SolCalibur64 on
    UMVC3 Main Team: Frank/Dante/Wesker
    UMVC Secondary Team: Wesker may Cry
    Characters in training: Spencer
  • TenguEggTenguEgg Joined: Posts: 1,145
    "Don't press buttons, during any one of these 99 marvel seconds, I know hes going to try to random me out"

Thats basically it. Unless i'm fighting Magneto+Missiles or Drones ( and i'm on the ground ), I know my defense, reactions, and reads are good enough to block just about anything else if i'm fully focused. If I just play my zoning game and don't try to press my advantage - as in, if keeping them out is working, then I need to stick with what i'm doing -, don't commit to anything that my opponent will try to "high variance" me out for, then i'll win comfortably. Only go ham if I know 100% that i'm going to get covered by assists. Just need to fish for opportunities and sense my opponents impatience.
  • DrWsGreatestDrWsGreatest Joined: Posts: 138
    How much hyper meter do I have? How much do they have? Is my assist able to be called right now? When I jump where are they below me? Is the character I'm fighting against the "problem" on their team and if not, is it worth it to snap the problem in? Should I blow xf to get rid of someone or save it becuz I know they're dark anchor can easily run it back. And most of all "why the fuck didn't I just blow every resource to kill instead of letting one pixel health xf3 Vergil/strider/dorm/etc come back to wreck my whole team in a matter of seconds?!!!"
  • discovigilantediscovigilante I'm associated with this guy! Joined: Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Online, win or lose: MAN THIS GUY IS FUCKING AWFUL CAN'T BELIEVE etc. etc.
    Offline: 
    Post edited by discovigilante on
    Ota City's Finest!
    My dumbass twitter: @discovigilante
    UMvC3:
    Main Squads - Nova β Doom α Ammy β
    Side Projects - Magneto/Strange/Ammy, Nova/Vergil/Strange, Ammy/Strange/Vergil, others
    USF4: Juri (main), Guile (not a real American)
    Aquapazza: Chizuru
    UNIBEL: Hyde
  • CrunKaintDeaDxCrunKaintDeaDx Chie<3 i HATE my username Joined: Posts: 153
    during a match i keep saying " its just online "
    I love Jill <3
  • WorstPlayerWorstPlayer Calm Yourself Joined: Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This shit won't pay my mortgage."
  • TRUEB7UETRUEB7UE The Once and Future King Joined: Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    This game is all about conversions and what you make of each situation and the events both before and after. If you fuck up a combo, you're going to eat shit for a bit (maybe even lose the game) or you may be able to convert that fucked situation into something valuable. Dirty combos are still damaging and may sometimes (major stresser on sometimes) work in your favor. At the end of the day, don't get too salty.. Remember IT'S MAHVEL BABY!!
    Post edited by TRUEB7UE on
  • orionfaceorionface Joined: Posts: 28
    Most of the time im thinking about how the person im playing is just constantly spamming low lights and jumping H over and over and over and over again because obviously, that's just how you play the game right?
  • WorstPlayerWorstPlayer Calm Yourself Joined: Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    orionface wrote: »
    Most of the time im thinking about how the person im playing is just constantly spamming low lights and jumping H over and over and over and over again because obviously, that's just how you play the game right?

Nope, but then again I play MODOK.

• AlphaCommandoAlphaCommando Bob Ross-ing That Bitch Joined: Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TRUEB7UE wrote: »
    If you fuck up a combo, you're going to eat shit for a bit (maybe even lose the game)

Not if you're playing Nova or Doom.
    Team Breath of Fire IV (Ryu, Won-Qu, Fou-Lu): Zero[6] γ, Amaterasu[5] β, Dante[6] α
    Zero/Amaterasu/Dante

"As soon as I saw Alpha's avatar, all the blood rushed out of my head and I almost lost my lunch." - Missing Person
    "I betting that every mafia is mad at me for falling for Alpha." - GodotsRevenge
    "The "AC vs. RF tussles"? You mean the part where he votes to lynch me, I sigh in his general direction, and then we go on with Day 1? Yeah, we never do that every game, I'm totes Mafia because of it." - RadicalFuzz
    "AlphaCommando > RadicalFuzz" - Augustus
  • YawDanYawDan Joined: Posts: 539 ✭✭
    Pretty much this whole video.

And it's just a game.

And that Vergil's cheap.
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.