Question from a Vega player

RugalitarianRugalitarian B-tier for BeautifulJoined: Posts: 3,911
Hi there. I feel really out of place posting on this sub-forum, but here it goes.

It seems to me that there is a general consensus amongst the community that Chun Li is a bad character and not viable for tournaments. I would simply like to know why people think this because it doesn't make any sense to me.
all chun liz moevs go thru vegz

Comments

• RayartzRayartz Hosenka Reversal Yo! Joined: Posts: 1,792
    it doesn't make sense to me why a high level Chun can't beat a high level other player but you are correct as far as tourneys go such as EVO
    you won't see a Chun player in top 8 and here are some reasons why:

Chun Li has several bad match ups that are commonly used at high level play
    She lacks a vortex as well as not being a mix up heavy character without taking some hefty risks that can lead to getting hurt really bad.
    No Command grabs
    No Safe - FADCable reversals
    Situational Anti Airs (no cure all move)
    She lacks a move that is brain dead like C.Viper's Burn Kicks or Yun,Yang,Rufus' Dive Kicks
    Her Super is awesome, Her Ultra 1 has fall out issues with many cast members and even then most have to be spaced properly with correct combos,
    Ultra 2 is semi versatile but the damage is far too low for me to personally to even consider using it in a match.

She has excellent walk speed and pokes as well as a pretty good FA with solid range.
    Fair fireball game but nothing like Guile or Dee Jay's as far as charge characters go.
    has the abilities to build good stun and perform meterless combos with fair damage.

With all that said I do feel strongly that players such as Y24 or Vivitan could do some serious damage at an EVO tourney.
    Chun Li, Juri and Laura - Loyalty for LIFE!
    SFV Goals: To be competent with every character and help others do the same!
    Overwatch: Tracer, D.Va, Junkrat, Mercy, Mei
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,926
    Being that you play Vega, I'm not surprised that you think chun is better than she really is(cuz many people feel like chun does very well in that match). But the main problem is that she just fundamentally does not have what it takes to compete with The high tier at a high level without taking risks. Some of us are trying to figure out some new stuff to help this but we will see where it leads in time.

She's very good at footsies but I feel like her zoning leaves a bit to be desired and as far as brain dead stuff that does damage, like ray said, she just doesn't have anything like that at all.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Edit - double post, stupid forum timeout issues
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hi there. I feel really out of place posting on this sub-forum, but here it goes.

It seems to me that there is a general consensus amongst the community that Chun Li is a bad character and not viable for tournaments. I would simply like to know why people think this because it doesn't make any sense to me.

wakeup and vulnerability to vortex characters, and EX bird costs one stock and is still easily stuffed.

It's like she got left behind as the game evolved (from zoning and keepaway to divekicks, rushdown, and aggressive mixups)

Edit-
    Pages 5 and 6 of here have a fair bit of discussion on the topic.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/ae-2012-requests-for-chun.142923/page-6

Same for this page of the general thread, 216 and onwards.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-fellowship-of-the-thigh-chun-li-general-discussion-thread.59980/page-216
  • eiSHeiSH Keepin' it FreestyleiSH Joined: Posts: 1,575
    Wahhhhhh~
    LOOL @ This Thread XD
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    9/13/2011 "President...... Thanks for all your hard work. Please enjoy your rest." - Maamen Beans
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - T.S. Elliot
    "There is no such thing as a bad heroine. There are only bad games." - Katsuragi Keima
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • RugalitarianRugalitarian B-tier for Beautiful Joined: Posts: 3,911
    LOOL @ This Thread XD

ILL HAVE MY REVEEEEENGE
    all chun liz moevs go thru vegz
  • AzzaAzza Joined: Posts: 700
    Quick question....whats the general opinion on the Vega/Chun-Li match up?
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    Solid 5-5

but good vegas rape her
    CARACOLES
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,794
    Vega has a lot of good tools and speed for keeping people out, but of course if they get in they can make it hell for him. This is no different for Chun vs him. She can't really outpoke him the way she can other characters and he's one of the few characters that can punish her sweep on block pretty easy, so it's important for her to work at getting in to give him problems. His pokes do make that hard, but I just try not to get frustrated or take too much damage on the way in.
    He's no slouch at playing his own mix up game on a knockdown either, but it's pretty basic and not as bad as some other characters can make the wakeup game.

I do like that pretty much all of Chun's Bnbs and Ultras do full hits and full damage on Vega. Can't say the same for other damn matchups (particularly some of her bad ones) :rolleyes:.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • ExvarisExvaris Arcade ∞ Joined: Posts: 2,879

As others have said, Chun lacks a lot of tools to make her a tournament viable character.

She also suffers from poor mixup potential, an overabundance of situational anti-airs (off the top of my head I can count at least seven or eight different ones, and there are easily more), low damage, and low comeback potential. In order for Chun to come back from a severe life lead, her opponent has to make a mistake. At high level play this is unlikely.

So the takeaway is that Chun has to control a match from start to finish. Simply put, it is too hard for her to do this at high level.
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    ---
    hey did you know that gouki is hard to play at high level??

man gouki players are very cute
    CARACOLES
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,926
    hey did you know that gouki is hard to play at high level??

man gouki players are very cute
    you have the maturity of a 12 year old. There's no reason to constantly seek conflict with others. Chill out.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    you have the maturity of a 12 year old. There's no reason to constantly seek conflict with others. Chill out.
    actually 10 years old
    CARACOLES
  • jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890
    Solid 5-5

but good vegas rape her
    Movie says 9-1 and she got lucky.
    Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.
    She should have a couch throw move (vs Vega only) in future games.
  • 武俠派武俠派 燈火闌珊處 Joined: Posts: 618
    There should be a bath scene intro too.
    At first I thought you guys were talking about the live-action movie with Kristen Kreuk and was like wtf are you guys talking about...

Then I remembered the infamous bath scene.
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."
    ---
    If only the claw matchup were as easy as the Kreuk movie suggested. lol
    And if you haven't seen it, you really should, the twists/characterizations are even more off than the JCVD movie. (It's nowhere near as funny, sadly).

Never mind the fact that it got the facts wrong regarding why Vega wore a mask...
    «勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
    ---
  • PhiloernicPhiloernic Joined: Posts: 122
    I play Vega and now I am interested in playing Chun li... however it seems to me after dabbling in chun li that her playstyle is too similar to Vegas
    They are pretty much...exactly the same.
    they walk fast, they poke people, they have situational anti air, they have mediocre damage, they threaten to go over fireballs, they dont have anything except tick throws they are both beautiful...etc
    What can I do to play chun li without feeling im playing another vega that i suck with cuz i dont know her yet?
  • ky0faceky0face Joined: Posts: 271
    ... Do not. Vega doesn't even touch Chun's grace and beauty.
  • PhiloernicPhiloernic Joined: Posts: 122
    I need an excuse to play chun so i can look at her alt 3 thighs when i play sf4
  • ky0faceky0face Joined: Posts: 271
    You don't need an excuse. But really, play her for a while and you will feel the difference. She's very versatile and highly underrated. Landing a heavy damage punish is rare and feels oh-so-good (but looks even better) with chun
  • Skatan MillaSkatan Milla Firecracker Thighs Joined: Posts: 2,094
    The fact that Chun has a fireball and Claw doesn't is a huge factor in how diffrently they are played.
    Twitter: @TruthFaceSkatan

Swedish Firecracker
    besides vega does have better out put damage
    CARACOLES