How do I train meaties?

chubbyfingerzchubbyfingerz Kore ga Saikyo-ryu da!Joined: Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭
Simple question really. How do I setup a dummy do make sure that I'm hitting on the absolutely last frame to really get that meaty timing sharp?
PSN: SaikyoForever

Test yourself against Saikyo!

Comments

• Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 189
    It's a timing thing. Depending on your character and what you used to set up the knockdown you will have different options for a meaty. What might be a good thing to try is set a computer on record to mash our a 4+ frame reversal. Block his attack and sweep/throw. Go for your meaty. If you can do your jump in and not get hit by the reversal you probably have good timing. I suppose though that this is more of a safe jump drill.

Some characters set up safe jumps and meaties by doing normal attacks after a knockdown. This isn't my forte, so don't quote me, but as an example I believe that Guile has one where he throws you, does a crouching strong and then jumps in and that's a meaty attack.

It'll take some playing around with and I don't think there is a way besides trial and error to get it down.
    MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.
  • chubbyfingerzchubbyfingerz Kore ga Saikyo-ryu da! Joined: Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Hakan times his safe jumps with a whiffed MP after knockdown. But how do I know if I DID land a meaty? Ill try your record.

• ErawanErawan The tiger who swapped his stripes for spots Joined: Posts: 191
    Ok, one way of learning to get the meaty timing down is to set the dummy to 'jump'. Hard knockdown the dummy, then try your meaty. If you time it right, you will hit the dummy before they have a chance to jump. Learnt this from Vesper's tutorials ;).

Another way to practice against reversals (ones that don't have invincibility) is to record the dummy doing the reversal of your choice (don't let it play just yet), hard knockdown the dummy, as soon as you do that, pause and start the playback, then go for your meaty. I've not tried this personally, but if it works, you should see the 'reversal' logo pop up.
    (Talking about Daigo) "i dont see how someone who is good at SF gets to be a celebrity because i bet theres plenty of people that would beat him that dont go to tournaments, and is he good at the megadrive version or the newer releases for ps3 and 360" - Comment by SpoilerAlert, Kotaku
    23 Aug 2011 3:32 AM
    This jump practice is very good.

So meaty pokes (c. MK by Dan, Ryu, etc( don't work against 3f reversals like Shoryukens?

• Meteo2Meteo2 20% more ex-loldives Joined: Posts: 689
    record ryu mashing cr.LP or zangief mashing LP-Piledriver. if you can knock them down and then get a clean hit on their wakeup, youre doing it right
    This jump practice is very good.

So meaty pokes (c. MK by Dan, Ryu, etc( don't work against 3f reversals like Shoryukens?

Alas, they would were it not for one thing - invincibility. According to the data from the SRK wiki, say they do a Fierce Shoryuken, you can see that they are invincible for the first 4 frames (1~4f Invincible, 3~4f unthrowable). Buuuuut, I 'think' if you timed it frame perfectly, you should be able to throw them - though I would not recommend it.
    (Talking about Daigo) "i dont see how someone who is good at SF gets to be a celebrity because i bet theres plenty of people that would beat him that dont go to tournaments, and is he good at the megadrive version or the newer releases for ps3 and 360" - Comment by SpoilerAlert, Kotaku
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, one way of learning to get the meaty timing down is to set the dummy to 'jump'. Hard knockdown the dummy, then try your meaty. If you time it right, you will hit the dummy before they have a chance to jump. Learnt this from Vesper's tutorials ;).
    Unfortunately that's not really a good way to practice meaties. You can have a non-meaty that hits a jumping opponent because of pre-jump frames. The best way to practice is to try to link the move you want into another that is only possible to do if the attack hits as a late meaty. Set counter-hit on if you have trouble finding a move you want to link.

Go to 4m29s in this vid:

The dummy is just set to stand, and auto-guard is off. Those links will only work if the meaty attack hits on the very last frame.

eg. Ryu's cr.lk is +2 on hit, and has 3 active frames. If it hits on the 2nd active frame, your frame advantage is +3, and if it hits on the last active frame, it becomes +4, which allows you to link cr.mp. Now you wouldn't necessarily use these links in a real match, but if you can land it then you know you've got the right timing for the meaty.
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    How do I train meaties?
    in soviet union, meaties train you!
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
    Can someone dragon punch their way out of a safe jump or are those completely invulnerable?

• ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone dragon punch their way out of a safe jump or are those completely invulnerable?
    It depends on the type of safe-jump and the start-up frames of the DP. In that vid I posted there's a setup that allows Ryu to safe-jump 3f DPs
    Is it just me or is this kind of bullshit? The game is so knockdown oriented, and some characters get free passes out of knockdowns, while others are completely helpless

• PongBoomPongBoom land of ice and snow Joined: Posts: 707
    Is it just me or is this kind of bullshit? The game is so knockdown oriented, and some characters get free passes out of knockdowns, while others are completely helpless

It's one of the main complaints of SF4. Also if a DP is 3-frames (Akuma, Ryu, Ken), you can't safe jump it besides very specific setups
    Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    -Winston Churchill
    What a looooaaaaaaaad of shittttttttttttttt

• PongBoomPongBoom land of ice and snow Joined: Posts: 707
    What a looooaaaaaaaad of shittttttttttttttt

Doesnt mean you can't option select ultra or something to punish the DP
    Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    -Winston Churchill
  • Mr.PaVy-RDMr.PaVy-RD Joined: Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dudley has to sit there and deal with vortexes all day so i switched to cody but then i found out he has a HORRIBLE Backdash and wakeup option.when did this game become all about knockdowns?
    I block better in Marvel than i do in Streetfighter :(

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Ae2012-Yun/Yang/Seth/Ryu/Cody/Dudley
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 743
    When you switched to Cody thinking he had a wakeup game
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
    EX bingo?

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info :).
  • m0mom0mo Joined: Posts: 335 ✭✭
    EX bingo?
    It's useless against those who jump on your wake up. Which is pretty much all characters.
    XBL/GFWL: momo7877
  • Mr.PaVy-RDMr.PaVy-RD Joined: Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EX bingo has a lot of startup so you literally have to pray everytime you get knocked down
    I block better in Marvel than i do in Streetfighter :(

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Ae2012-Yun/Yang/Seth/Ryu/Cody/Dudley
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    I miss Bison