Starting out

Silent_JaegerSilent_Jaeger Joined: Posts: 19
Hi all, a week ago I was "youtubing" and saw a couple of vids of EVO, and I told myself I wanted to start taking FGs seriously.
I played (in my kid days) Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear...etc
I have 0 experience in any fighter aside of fighting against the CPU lol.
I'm completely sure I have 0 local scene, If i get decent online I will go to tournaments but the netcode is a must.
I've been looking for information about the fighting games released and I still have doubts.
I don't like anime fighters so Blazblue and Persona are out.
I want it to have a big community, so Virtua Fighter (plus VF6 being a perhaps) and SoulCalibur (sad because they look so good on vids) are out.
Dead or Boobs 5 is out.
Mortal Kombat looks a good option with big community but the game isw easy (as I've read).
KOF XIII could be a good option if it weren't for the netcode (which I read is bad).
I don't like the games that relies heavily on combos so Tekken and Marvel are out.
I've read a lot of complains about SfxT about being retarded, easy, etc, so is out.
And... that leaves Street Fighter as an option, with huge community, great netcode and no combo heavy.
The problem I have if I start with SF is the following.
Is it worth starting with SF now?
Do you think Crapcom will tur SF into a crappy franchise making the game noob friendly like SFxT?
Thanks all for your time.

Comments

• Geese PantsGeese Pants Midwest Decepticon Joined: Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?categories/regional-matchmaking.110/

Make sure you check here first before you can confirm you have no local scene....................
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Silent_JaegerSilent_Jaeger Joined: Posts: 19
    I live in a village, I am completely sure.
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Alright, but where exactly? Even if it's a little out of the way, there might be competition somewhere nearby.
    KOF XIII: Kula/Iori/Kim
    SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/WFF-AirLancer
    If you're in the NYC area and want to play some KOF XIII, hit me up!
    My nearest city is like 200 km away lol
    You know, reading that first post again makes me wonder just how much of the stream monster talk you've seen. Moving on...

If regular local gatherings are completely impossible, then you'll need a game with good online.(Which, btw, SF4's is still pretty bad.)

MK also had terrible online last I heard.

From the times I played it, Soul Calibur had great online, and I'm still sure you'd be able to find online players to match up against. It also has the best lobby features of any fighter I've seen.

Can't comment on Tekken or DOA since I've never played those online.

You can't know if SFxT is bad or good unless you actually try playing it. It wasn't my cup of tea, but it has it's fans. It also uses a rollback netcode that's far superior to SF4, and there's an update coming out soon that'll apparently overhaul the game. If you have to start with SF4, than it's not the worst option... Just, please, don't believe everything you hear from stream monsters.
    You know, reading that first post again makes me wonder just how much of the stream monster talk you've absorbed. Moving on...

If regular local gatherings are completely impossible, then you'll need a game with good online.(Which, btw, SF4's is still pretty bad.)

MK also had terrible online last I heard.

From the times I played it, Soul Calibur had great online, and I'm still sure you'd be able to find online players to match up against. It also has the best lobby features of any fighter I've seen.

Can't comment on Tekken or DOA since I've never played those online.

You can't know if SFxT is bad or good unless you actually try playing it. It wasn't my cup of tea, but it has it's fans. And there's an update coming out soon that'll apparently overhaul the game. If you have to start with SF4, than it's not the worst option... Just, please, don't believe everything you hear from stream monsters.
    That is why I ask here, so much games to chose.
    If the netcode is bad in ssf4 I will have to skip it.
    I will give SC a try, thanks.
    Well, it's not terrible though. Between players with good connections to eachother, the game is quite playable. But anything besides a stellar connection will elicit much frustration...
    Well, it's not terrible though. Between players with good connections to eachother, the game is quite playable. But anything besides a stellar connection will elicit much frustration...
    I will give SF a try too, I guess there isn't any fighting game with perfect online lol
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭
    Since you did play GG, why now no anime fighters?

regarding older SF or KOF games, you can play them on GGPO too for free.also a chance to test your network connection.

Also SFxTekken is far from easy. Being tag based and new in concept, you have to think every time two match-up strategies instead of one.

But overall, be prepared to be demolished online! CPU strategies will not work here!
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • AsaCarterAsaCarter Rainbow Ballin' Since '99 Joined: Posts: 254
    I will give SF a try too, I guess there isn't any fighting game with perfect online lol

of course, there are always people with horrid lag.

My personal suggestion, may be biased, but I would pick up Street Fighter IV Aracde Edition for sure. Give Street Fighter x Tekken a try, people who hate on it are just spoiled little kids that play MK all day, SFxT is 15 dollars or something uber cheap though, also it really isn't that bad. I think the reason why people hate it so much is because people just play footsies and then connect ABC combos with a cross rush combo and win that way and people get butthurt. It may be simple but it can teach bad habits if it's your first fighting game and the community isn't huge for tournaments but there is always a fair amount of people online and with the 2013 patch coming up, people should be rushing in online to play. I would also give Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Tekken 6 a try, I am not a fan of 3d fighters but they may be for you and no doubt, they are good, but not for me.

If I were you, I'd pick up
    Street Fighter IV AE
    SFxT
    Soulcalibur V
    Tekken 6
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2

SFIVAE seems to be the largest and it seems to be what you are looking for.
  • HvisLysetTarAustinHvisLysetTarAustin softer than a cat's belly Joined: Posts: 123
    It seems like you are going to end up playing SSF4 online. That's life. It's not the best, but you will have fun and get better.

How good is your Internet connection in the middle of nowhere? The strategy of the game changes a bit when played online because of lag. To compensate for lag the game delays your inputs by a certain number of frames, which unfortunately varies from match to match. Therefore your combos must be memorized not just by sight, but by sheer muscle memory as well.

The worst part is that the worse lag is, the more the meta game changes. When there is input lag, you are less able to react to things at a certain speed. For example, if someone uses an attack with a 15 frame recovery, you could possibly punish that offline but there is no way to punish it online. Therefore the game changes in terms of which tactics will get you to win the most. Combine this fact with Ranked matches being so short, and the ranks become slightly skewed in favor of those who can utilize lag-friendly tactics effectively, especially if they have a shitty Internet connection.
  • VerstandeVerstande Joined: Posts: 324
    of course, there are always people with horrid lag.

My personal suggestion, may be biased, but I would pick up Street Fighter IV Aracde Edition for sure. Give Street Fighter x Tekken a try, people who hate on it are just spoiled little kids that play MK all day, SFxT is 15 dollars or something uber cheap though, also it really isn't that bad. I think the reason why people hate it so much is because people just play footsies and then connect ABC combos with a cross rush combo and win that way and people get butthurt. It may be simple but it can teach bad habits if it's your first fighting game and the community isn't huge for tournaments but there is always a fair amount of people online and with the 2013 patch coming up, people should be rushing in online to play. I would also give Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Tekken 6 a try, I am not a fan of 3d fighters but they may be for you and no doubt, they are good, but not for me.

If I were you, I'd pick up
    Street Fighter IV AE
    SFxT
    Soulcalibur V
    Tekken 6
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2

SFIVAE seems to be the largest and it seems to be what you are looking for.
    I'm a spoiled little kid =\
  • VerstandeVerstande Joined: Posts: 324
    To help answer the OP's question, if you want netcode I think Blazblue, P4A, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and Soul Calibur are great options. At least from what I have read on the forums, these games have decent to excellent netcode.
  • YorKeYYorKeY P4AU- The first game where i actually wanna try everyone EVER Joined: Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    If no KoF or anime fighters...

3rd Strike
    Arcade Edition
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    XBL/PSN/Steam- iYorKeY
    USF4: Yun, C.Viper
    Melee: Marth/Sheik
    Where the connections are always green, SoCaL.

• ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're just starting out you will not notice the deficiencies in SSFIV's netcode. In fact, you may find rollback-style netcode to be more jarring. Since you don't have an offline scene, use the matchmaking forum to find out what the most popular games are in your region. It's pointless having a game with good netcode if the game isn't even being played on your continent.
    I've made a guru-spiritual journey across the internet since my last post, and here is my conclusions:
    I don't like anime fighters because the characters generally don't interest me and because the scene in that games is poor (BB at EVO for example).
    SfxT is sentenced to the death (I'm not sayin is a bad game).
    I see a lot of people recomending Tekken but even at top levels the game is a combo fest, and I'm speaking of very high levels, throwing attacks that start a combo all the time and if it connects a 75% life bar combo with the bound wall and tag and etc.
    I really wanted to like Tekken because I loved the old ones (I know they where combo heavy too but I played them as a casual), but every fight I see is like, lets see who launches first.
    Marvel is combo heavy too but at least you see proyectiles, assist, etc, but I admitt that I don't like it either.
    Vf looks so good and extremely deep from the tutorials vids I've seen but there is very few people playing (why chose Tekken instead of VF? :S)
    I've pursached SC and SF because they look good and have decent online.
    Thanks all for the help :D
    EDIT: The only thing I don't like of SF is Capcom, I think that they should release all the character at once.
    Also, for Soul Calibur information, you should check out 8wayrun.com