Calgary Thread 2013

Comments

• fogerfoger lame is good Joined: Posts: 5,661
    what is the point of grey life anyways? isn't having 2 characters enough hp?

just make shit like jabjabjababclauncher scale like a motherfucker
  • InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,628
    jab jab launcher does scale more than a normal combo (it's supposed to encourage links, even if you link the same buttons like jab -> strong -> fierce), but it probably could do a bit more scaling.

That said I think they're concerned about damage so they probably aren't going to make the most common way of doing damage do LESS. Especially since many people's best punish in some cases would be something into launcher. I do think if people start playing the game more frequently, they'll explore better combos though... there are SO many better combos in almost every situation for almost every character than LMHH.

I think launcher combos won't be NEARLY as annoying now that they removed the screen freeze on the launcher animation and boost chains are mega unsafe on block across the board. And if someone wants to punish my DP with two jabs into a launcher string (even if they throw me later and take away the gray life), I'm fine with that because they could have probably killed me, lol.
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • Shanghai KidShanghai Kid Joined: Posts: 2,261
    I've been training modeing with a bunch of new teams.
    My main team is Nina/Christie, but I've been trying out Raven/Lili, Kuma/Ogre, Bryan/Lars. Some brief thoughts on the patch.

- Nina getting anti airs is a much needed boost.
    - Christie finally gets a couple ways to overcome fireballs. She was having serious problems against fireball/dragon punch.
    - Raven gets a couple better anti-airs, but the fact that he can't throw shurikens while jumping back really changes up the way he plays. fairly big nerf, but I suppose warranted.
    - Lili getting faster walkspeed? Wow. She's already pretty good to begin with.
    - Bryan is fairly awful in this game. I don't think the patch will help much.
    - Lars needed higher damage output for sure. I think these were addressed in the patch. Glad they made his jaguar kick an overhead as they should have from the start.
    - Kuma will have a couple new tricks. I think he can cancel normals into hunting stance now.
    - Ogre will pretty much be the same. Nothing too drastic.
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,188
    I thought SFxT high level w/gems turns into a 2 touch game even the way it sits right now? Two clean hits for a game like this is pretty good, especially if there are good outs from vortex setups, which there currently is.. but rolls sound over-nerfed in 2013 so if it ends up being 2 touches with SF4-esque knockdown mixups, forget that

I've seen some really nice combos in SFxT now but a lot of the more optimized ones are just loops, and unless the loop is some Magneto ROM kinda stuff they are my least favorite kind of combo
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
  • street11street11 Slayer-san Joined: Posts: 5,236
    Sometimes launcher combos are better for switching characters and gaining more meter for those without good solo combos.

Rolls can still block during recovery, it's just that they can no longer do roll -> reversal DP -> tag cancel. I think rolls being vulnerable to throws is being overrated right now. While throw start-up is getting buffed, the short range didn't have a word of getting buffed. It'll still take a good guess to throw an attempted roll escape, especially to those with slow walkspeed/bad forward dash.
    Ah well, we'll see after patch.
    XBL: street121
    PSN: street121 (Can), hooperbel, hoop121 (U)
    "...by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
    I've been playing around with Lars the last few days in training, he actually seems pretty good already. His combo damage is average or slightly above, but he has a DP and his footsies seem pretty great. I looked at the changes and they seem really drastic (in his favor)... avalanche kick being overhead is insane? It's safe on block I think! LP shoulder starts up faster so it should help that "can't combo off mids randomly" thing. His DP is getting a big damage boost too, so now his combos will do even more.

I dunno I think he's gonna be really good, lol. That low forward (with a DP to back it up) is already enough to make him a good character IMO.

I don't understand Jin's changes. They made some of his stuff a bit too good IMO. Not the end of the world because good characters are fun, but people will be complaining about him I think.
    I thought SFxT high level w/gems turns into a 2 touch game even the way it sits right now? Two clean hits for a game like this is pretty good, especially if there are good outs from vortex setups, which there currently is.. but rolls sound over-nerfed in 2013 so if it ends up being 2 touches with SF4-esque knockdown mixups, forget that

I've seen some really nice combos in SFxT now but a lot of the more optimized ones are just loops, and unless the loop is some Magneto ROM kinda stuff they are my least favorite kind of combo

Eh, you can 2-touch if you have meter building and damage gems (and your opponent does as well) but if your opponent plays a tank with 3 defense gems, you won't be 2-touching him. Basically your opponent can decide if he wants to turn it into a defensive battle or not (just like other FGs). Unfortunately some of the defense gems are too good IMO, I think they're nerfing some though.

Don't think rolls are overnerfed... if anything, they're undernerfed. You'll always be able to block out of a roll though, so there's probably no way for people to OS you with an attack if you roll away from a jumpin. It's probably a good way to encourage meaties, with a nice safety catch against insane OSes.

Loop combos in SFxT look flashy but I think they're pretty useless in real matches except to wear out an opponent's gem or the clock. I like the look of most of the tag combos in this game.
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • PsykoJoshPsykoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 99
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    I've been training modeing with a bunch of new teams.
    My main team is Nina/Christie, but I've been trying out Raven/Lili, Kuma/Ogre, Bryan/Lars. Some brief thoughts on the patch.

- Nina getting anti airs is a much needed boost.
    - Christie finally gets a way to overcome fireballs.
    - Raven gets a couple better anti-airs, but the fact that he can't throw shurikens while jumping back really changes up the way he plays. I don't like it.
    - Lili getting faster walkspeed? Wow. She's already pretty good to begin with.
    - Bryan is fairly awful in this game. I don't think the patch will help much.
    - Lars needed higher damage output for sure. I think these were addressed in the patch. Glad they made his jaguar kick an overhead as they should have from the start.
    - Kuma will have a couple new tricks. I think he can cancel normals into hunting stance now.
    - Ogre will pretty much be the same. Nothing too drastic.
    holy fuk i approve 1000000%

nothing quite as infuriating as a keep away projectile that sends you flying up and backwards and covers that motion. raven was one of the games worst timeout offenders by far
  • Nos99Nos99 Science Scrub Joined: Posts: 4,651
    Yeah I dunno what they are doing with Jin.. He wasn't the worst offender but I also didn't think he needed to get buffed like that. He will probably be the new guy to hate right off the bat lol.

Its probably because of the capcom thing of just flat out wanting certain characters to be good I dunno. .

EDIT: Did anyone else watch that SFxT video where Jibbo has a gem loadout that acrtivates in one combo, and then gives him back +3 bars of meter?

Apparently it lets him do a 5-bar combo or some crazy shit? :looney:

That's the one big part of SFxT that I feel hasn't really been opened up at all... DEM GEMS
  • thebestthebest #electricboogaloo Joined: Posts: 8,529
    http://disney.kids.yahoo.co.jp/game/pooh.html

Confirmed harder than all of Dark Souls. Bow to your god Christopher Robin.
    mXxy6.jpg
    aaaaaand i'm stuck at work for another little while

probably wont be going to tubbydog now. fuck me

ps falken pm me your phone number, had to nuke my phone and lost it
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,814

fucking kangaroo... FUCKING KANGAROOOOO FUUUUUUUUUUCK

FUCK THIS GAME

i'd rather eat a live badger with aids
  • x_tremerx_tremer steam: inphinite Joined: Posts: 452
    happy 2013. When's Marvel?
  • 09LegsofLegend0909LegsofLegend09 GrandmasterShadou Joined: Posts: 860
    fucking kangaroo... FUCKING KANGAROOOOO FUUUUUUUUUUCK

FUCK THIS GAME

i'd rather eat a live badger with aids

The one in your pic?
    ... PS4: Absoolutezero... @ShadowSingh4D
    okay. golly this. gotta get my burg on
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    fuck

so i get home and my computer is dead

...well not dead, but it looks like one of my video cards is fried(for the time being, at least)

fuuuuuuuuuuck :( oh well, good thing this rig has 2 i guess

mXxy6.jpg
    ummm is there some reason pooh wont swing ever

i hear the noise, and its lined up correctly, but nothing happens

the one time the swing animation actually happened when the ball was coming i hit it???
    hold down click
    The one in your pic?

His pic is actually a chipmunk! From the huge piece of shit movie "Disaster Movie", starring Kim Kardashian.

(It's a rabid Alvin, from Alvin and the Chipmunks).
    hold down click
    oh wow

that worked

get 0wned eyore
    oh wow

that worked

get 0wned eyore

Just you wait man... this game brings grown men to tears~

on another note, i wish strongbow and guinness cases werent so fucking similar.. i bought strongbow today thinking it was a case of tasty guinness :(
    Profound sadnesssss
    Argh.. this owl is kicking my ass.
    Rapid slash is the dumbest god damn move ever.. that thing needs to be nerfed so bad. Derp factor vergil + retard slash is worse than vanilla wolverine
    Watching these big two matches just makes me facepalm

Also, Tigger greg... just... Tigger. Christoper Robin is on his own Demigod tier
  • CasanovaCasanova Yep. This needs more KoF. Joined: Posts: 724
    Yeah I dunno what they are doing with Jin.. He wasn't the worst offender but I also didn't think he needed to get buffed like that. He will probably be the new guy to hate right off the bat lol.

Its probably because of the capcom thing of just flat out wanting certain characters to be good I dunno. .

EDIT: Did anyone else watch that SFxT video where Jibbo has a gem loadout that acrtivates in one combo, and then gives him back +3 bars of meter?

Apparently it lets him do a 5-bar combo or some crazy shit? :looney:

That's the one big part of SFxT that I feel hasn't really been opened up at all... DEM GEMS

Most of those gems are the paid DLC gems, too. Lolololol.

And I'm so glad I decided to start learning Lars. Honestly I'm not very impressed with his combo damage at all currently, hence my appreciation for the damage buffs. And I would've been happy with just his EX qcb+K being an overhead, now every version of it is. It already gives you enough frame advantage to link into a full combo, now it's just completely insane. Yeah, he's pretty much secured on my team.

Now I just need to solidify an anchor. Jin's cool but I don't like the way he flows. Jack is a potential option, or I might stick with King, but Dudley is looking insanely good playing around with him now... I need to look at his 2013 changes. As it currently stands, his walk speed is crazy. I normally don't notice things like this and it caught me off guard, it's that fast.
  • Kevko5212Kevko5212 Joined: Posts: 297
    Hey guys. Popping in with another non-SF game. I know, but you can just ignore it if you are not interested.

Anybody here like racing games? If so, you should get this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8600/

I've just been playing it and holy shit, such an awesome racing sim! You should all get it and we should race. It's only $0.89 right now. Or you can get the bundle with the expansions for $5.09 like I did. I am not shitting you. If you like racing at all, you gotta try this game. It's a 5 year old game, so it doesn't take a beast of a pc to run it. Graphics are a little dated, but you do not really notice because the feeling of driving in it is too awesome. Very realistic feeling.

Oh, and happy new year!
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/kevko5212/
    Battlelog: Kevko5212
    PSN: Kevko
    Hey guys. Popping in with another non-SF game. I know, but you can just ignore it if you are not interested.

Anybody here like racing games? If so, you should get this:

I love racing games. I prefer cartoony racers though. You should pick this up when it comes out on Steam:
    BIG THUG NUTZ
  • Kevko5212Kevko5212 Joined: Posts: 297
    I love racing games. I prefer cartoony racers though. You should pick this up when it comes out on Steam:
    Perhaps I will, but I would be waiting until at least a 50% off steam sale since they happen pretty often. I am more amped about the realistic racers right now though.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/kevko5212/
    Battlelog: Kevko5212
    PSN: Kevko
    The game's already pretty cheap. $39.99 at retail, but yeah I guess why not wait until it's $19.99
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    That one WNF guy player is sick.. he actually makes the elbow and j.mk mixup - crossups really ambiguous
  • AwesomersaurAwesomersaur LAB Falken Joined: Posts: 2,117

Japan
    恐竜
    Fuckin Japan, slayer of Gods
    Guess I was wrong about Lars, his LP shoulder is unsafe on block and his DP has no real ability to anti-air, two things I thought he had going for him. Not really sure what he's supposed to do in footsies after all! Guess he has cr.MK into st.HP boost chain but probably not safe in 2013 and I hate comboing into boost chains in footsies.
  • 09LegsofLegend0909LegsofLegend09 GrandmasterShadou Joined: Posts: 860
    GG josh, how was your connection, mine seems to be getting alot better, here and there random spikes vs everyone else
    ... PS4: Absoolutezero... @ShadowSingh4D
    Lars can combo into shoulder off low mk... its just really tight? It's a weird cancel. You'd think hit stop would be enough to cover the cancel all the time but it doesn't seem that way. It does seem like you can get it consistently though?

Honestly he seems like nothing but pokes and jaguar kick spam to me.. I dunno.
    I think with Lars you can actually link Cr LK --> Cr LP --> Cr MP --> Cr MK with him. But his light attacks aren't the fastest of the bunch. His ground normals are really limited to CrMP/CrMK. His HP/HK normals are terrible. Jump HP is a good button though. I find Cr MK into shoulder fairly consistent. Cr MP into shoulder, not so much.

He's probably the most street fighter like of the Tekken characters I'd say.
    fuk so after my first day back at work overtime adventures yesterday...all of my coworkers either have the day off or are sick today

gg
    http://crosscounter.tv/interview-capcom-vs-snk-2-legend-d44-bas/

damn canada cup 2011 was one of bas' top 5 favorite international experiences

gj team
    http://crosscounter.tv/interview-capcom-vs-snk-2-legend-d44-bas/

damn canada cup 2011 was one of bas' top 5 favorite international experiences

gj team

It's cause I opened his eyes to the scrubbiness of A-groove Nakoruru/Mai(2)/Vega at that tournament. haha

• CasanovaCasanova Yep. This needs more KoF. Joined: Posts: 724
    I think with Lars you can actually link Cr LK --> Cr LP --> Cr MP --> Cr MK with him. But his light attacks aren't the fastest of the bunch. His ground normals are really limited to CrMP/CrMK. His HP/HK normals are terrible. Jump HP is a good button though. I find Cr MK into shoulder fairly consistent. Cr MP into shoulder, not so much.

He's probably the most street fighter like of the Tekken characters I'd say.

Comboing into shoulder from cr.MP or cr.MK seems to be a rare situation where you have to cancel into shoulder on the first active frame of the normal in order to get it to work. It's not as bad as it sounds, just means you have to pay extra attention to the cancel timing.
  • VanillaVanilla Combo into jab pizza slice Joined: Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Thread is slow.

So with NHL CBA talk heating up, and a deal on the horizon I thought it'd be interesting to see what people think about the compliance buyouts that have been agreed upon. Basically the cap will be set somewhere between $60-65M and teams are able to buy out two players if they needs to to fit under the cap.
    With that info, who do you think the flames will buyout?
    You can use this site for reference http://www.capgeek.com/flames/

Currently the flames sit at $66,668,332.
    Personally I think the Flames will offload Stajan and Bouwmeester.

Discuss.

• Aminel1Aminel1 Aladeen. Joined: Posts: 1,169
    Def buy out stajan he's getting paid too much fot nothing anyways. Hopefully mtl decides to buy out gomez. 7mill for 2 goals last season? Smh
    Gomez is a prime example for what is wrong with the NHL.

The guy plays for teams that give him money, not for the sport.

He was godlike when he was on the rangers, then they couldn't pay his salary and he jumped ship.

Fuck those guys, seriously.

I think 1 million per season is the maximum a player should be able to make, period. If they want to whore themselves out do it via royalties by being a poster boy for the highest bidder.

Give players the right to do this, they could patch themselves out like a fucking F1 or Nascar driver.

Problem solved. Your welcome NHL
    "When I am thirsty on ice I drink nuclear explosion in mouth. It make me perform like true soviet." - A. Ovetchkin

Chernobleade!
    Nuke the competition!

^ shit like this!!!
    when you get to the professional level, its a job. you no longer play for the love of the game, you play for dat paypuh

they should get as much $$ as they can squeeze out of the owners, because they are the nhl.the problem isnt players making too much money even, its that we have way way too many teams in the nhl that are not profitable, and cant afford to pay what the market is asking for these players

the fact that the salary cap's floor is millions of dollars higher than some teams spent pre-cap, and they increase the floor by about 5 mil per season only compounds the problem

but yeah cut stajan, what a plug. i dont think we can get rid of jaybo :( we're gonna have to wait until his contract runs out because nobody is going to pay up what most people would want to get rid of him for. at least he plays lots of minutes, i guess
    It's not the player's fault the NHL pays them all that money. The problem is the precedent, and how teams like Minnesota had to fork over huuuge money for Parise because if they didn't, some other team would and they'd be left behind. Really, the new CBA needs clauses in it to save owners from themselves, so they don't cannibalize themselves.

Also, it doesn't make sense that the players could make a theoretical max of $1m, as Derryk said... NHL teams are RICH, and the players deserve a lot of that money, since they are sacrificing their body and their future livelihood each night to play the game. If the players cut of revenue gets cut by 700% like this, it's not like the teams will STOP making all that money... the owners will just pocket it instead. Can you imagine Jessica Alba being a 700% BIGGER curse on men everywhere? Could we operate as a society?

The Flames should buy out Jaybo and Stajan. Rangers will buy out Redden, lol.
  • 88Xin8888Xin88 Metsu Shoryuken Joined: Posts: 541

Pretty interesting footsies for those who ACTUALLY like Street Fighter.

I was thinking back in the day when SF was the only game I believe that was the best time of tubbies and the scene. So much fierce competition and hunger and overall just way more friendship and less alpha bs.

In a way it can be SF's fault that the online wasn't good enough to truly show its potential. An online arcade would be insane and really fun. I think the game lasted a pretty long time though so thats not too bad. Maybe they should release SF5 soon!

Anyways,

Hope you all had a wicked new years and I hope you all your hard work pays off in 2013!!!

Cheers!
    Front page MODOK combo video..

http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/03/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-m-o-d-o-k-team-combos-feat-doctor-strange-doctor-doom-and-more/

The last combo.. Can someone explain to me how that infinite works?
    God dang it, when's marvel start?
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    I can't stop playing Sleeping Dogs.. oh god. Best $20 i spent on a game in a long time haha
  • Aminel1Aminel1 Aladeen. Joined: Posts: 1,169
    I love watching daigo fight. His pressure is relentless. Makes me want to get on that level