UMvC3 OTT: Welcome to 2013!

Comments

• maziodynemaziodyne I'll crush you in one strike! Joined: Posts: 7,564
    Best part about Nocturne?

Dante wasn't ass kappa. He was godlike as shit save for the True Demon Ending boss where you can still use him, albeit much less effectively.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    ·
  • leafcolonelleafcolonel Apprentice of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭
    First boss, or one of the first 3 bosses in Nocturne is some of the most eye opening shit ever.

Shit was haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard

I loved that the game was challenging and gave no fucks, untill you learned to abuse the system(which you wouldn't know unless you read FAQs or got tips), and even then it was cheap and gave no care, yo Dragon Eye up your ass. I actually got stuck on one of the Knights of the apocalypse and lost like 30 times in a row until by accident I left one of my wrong party members in the party who had the sleep spell. Got a lucky sleep and won the battle because of that. The game was cheap, Mudo/Hama actually mattered, and made you fear going into new areas because you can get killed in any random battle.

I loved the fact that your party and main character were completely customizable too, something that's missing from the Persona series, but I can see the angle they are coming from there.
    Best part about Nocturne? Dante wasn't ass. He was godlike as shit save for the True Demon Ending boss where you can still use him, albeit much less effectively.

Yo I didn't read any spoilers or know anything about the game when playing it through legal methods on my PS2. So when I saw Dante the first time and that theme came on, my jaw dropped.
    ·
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3801_407612889314212_2139220500_n.jpg

^ _ ^

Doubt I'll change much this season.
    ·
  • KawwKaww ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ Joined: Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Yeah, same here. PM > TTYD by a long shot. Best game (or at least RPG) on N64 IMO.

There wasn't much RPGS on the N64 anyways lol

Though now I'm getting flashbacks to Quest 64 and had a memory card that was jammed into my only working controller that wasn't functional. Auughhh the pain of running through that game without saving. Another brutal ass game.

Only other RPG I could think of was the Pokemon Stadium series. Spent hours on both.
    ·
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,020 ✭✭✭
    I still want to try Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity and The Last Remnant
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    ·
    Yo I didn't read any spoilers or know anything about the game when playing it through legal methods on my PS2. So when I saw Dante the first time and that theme came on, my jaw dropped.

Definitely one of Nocturne's strongest points is the music. Holy shit was Shoji Meguro on point. All the tracks were atmospheric and powerful when it mattered.

Then something like this kicks in and your brain just explodes from all the hype.

Retired Mahvel scrub.
    ·
  • hybreezyhybreezy A Fraud Draws Near Joined: Posts: 7,490
    That list is garbage

Persona 4 at number 2
    Persona 3 at number 36 when its better than Persona 4 in just about every way imaginable (story, setting, characters, battle system that isn't dumbed down for bumpkins, etc)
    Dragon Quest doesn't make an appearance until number 35
    Alpha fucking Protocol is on the list
    Final Fantasy V over IV
    No Fire Emblem, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean, Shadow Hearts, or Digital Devil Saga

Seeing Persona 4's meteoric rise to most overrated RPG of all time makes me actually appreciate what the former champion, Final Fantasy 7, actually did for the genre.

Also I've played most of the games on that list but not New Vegas yet I still refuse to believe it's the 28th best RPG of all time, especially if it's made by Obsidian
    Mediocre at fighting games
    ·
  • AlzarathAlzarath Remember, salt is part of a balanced diet. Joined: Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭
    *reads OTT comic*

"For the amount of new players who play FGs, you won’t see nearly enough new talent in top 8s. This is because too many people are bitches." - Aris

PSN: not_alzarath (East Coast) | @AlzarathEX
    ·
    Just found this on that thread lol

tumblr_md7e6jrQNO1reegn2o1_1280.jpg
    ·
  • ThatJollyOlBastidThatJollyOlBastid Non-stop Climax! Joined: Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Last Remnant is glitchy as fuck on consoles X. Or one of those RPGs which is just almost unplayable on console with horrible fps.

I recall Jin talking about it way way back
    "Seth is like McDonald's. You can learn to make the same burger in 2 days as the person who's worked there for 5 years" ~ Dogura
    ·
    People put too much stock into New Years and resolutions.

Everyday is a good to improve yourself and start living your life better.

ydDl1.jpg
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
  • MomochuuMomochuu Little ♥ Monster Joined: Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭
    You guys don't sleep. :bluu:
    Dante Combo Thread | Youtube Channel | Dante Tech Thread | @HelloKarinachuu
    UMvC3: Morrigan (α)/Dante (α)/ Doctor Doom (β)| Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru/Shadow Labrys
    XBL Gamertag: Hello Momomo
    ·
    I think the Last Remnant is glitchy as fuck on consoles X. Or one of those RPGs which is just almost unplayable on console with horrible fps.

I don't have 360 so I'm looking to get it for PC/Steam
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·

GF is addicted to Borderlands 2 and she's taking me down with her :( It's a cool game just brain numbing after 14 or so hours rofl
    ·

Different time zones. Not everyone around here is on a US time zone.
    ·
    It's 4:55 AM here so welp.
    ·
  • ThatJollyOlBastidThatJollyOlBastid Non-stop Climax! Joined: Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People put too much stock into New Years and resolutions.

Everyday is a good to improve yourself and start living your life better.
    Expectations are the first step to failure.

Every morning is a reminder of that.

And I'm being pessimistic for no good reason. I need some coffee
    "Seth is like McDonald's. You can learn to make the same burger in 2 days as the person who's worked there for 5 years" ~ Dogura
    ·
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef STEEL THY BUTT! Joined: Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503191

Neogaf's essential RPG list. Seems godlike + it has available consoles you can run it on + time frame. Big fan of the list.
    This list is actually pretty good for the most part and I'm impressed how much information they provide about each game.
    If I was to give a list of changes I would personally make it would probably look like this.
    - All 3 Mass Effect games placed as a single entry, the nature of how actions of the earlier games affect the story of the later games (which is probably the biggest draw of the series) mean they should be taken collectively rather than individually it should also be noted that while 2 is the best game in the series it's also the least RPG-ish in nature, while 1 is technically the "worst" it's the most akin to a normal RPG.
    - Star Wars KOTOR in the top 10... I love that game.
    - Final Fantasy X taken off the list.
    - Earthbound (Mother 2) and Mother 3 raised higher up, Mother 3 put ahead of Earthbound.
    - Place New Vegas higher than Fallout 3, despite being way buggier it's a better game, and you can get mods/fixes online to remove pretty much all the bugs.
    - Deus-Ex, Persona 3 (specifically portable), Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest VIII and Crono Cross (kinda surprised how low this was actually seeing how it's a pretty well loved sequel to the game which is considered to be the number 1) all moved higher.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    ·
  • eivellordsm2eivellordsm2 Macho Barbarian dongzilla Joined: Posts: 1,334
    Different time zones. Not everyone around here is on a US time zone.
    so how's the weather in Bahrain?
    ·
    Ahhhh man, all this SMT talk got my hyped for SMT IV all the more. :eek: Not regretting my 3DS purchase at all!
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    ·

Winter is the only time the weather is actually good. Our winter is basically a European summer, but with less rain. Which isn't a bad thing since I hate rain, and our rain drainage systems are horrible.
    ·
    Spoiler:

I still don't get the scarf like...what is that?
    UMvC3: Morrigan (α)/Dante (α)/ Doctor Doom (β)| Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru/Shadow Labrys
    ·
  • AntstyleAntstyle Joined: Posts: 3,950

It must be better than here, whatever it is... I don't like this mega-cold weather. Or maybe it's something to do with me getting caught in the rain last night...
    Winters are pretty nice in Bahrain, no?
    ·
  • BakuhakubasugasuBakuhakubasugasu Eating dreams since '96. Joined: Posts: 3,329
    DID SOMEONE SAY STREAK SMT IV?! Kreygasm.png

Oh yeah.. So I might just stream Love Plus again but we'll go for Nene this time around. I think I remember Leon saying that we should try to get her path next. Fufufu... I might stream in a bit but we'll see what's up.
    PSN: Bakuhakubasugasu
    I play all fighting games.
    Youtube<<Combos/Tutorials | TwitchTv<<Stream
    Support our new clothing company, Meaty Mob! http://meatymob.com
    ·
    Spoiler:

I still don't get the scarf like...what is that?
    a scarf...
    ·
    It must be better than here, whatever it is...
    meh where I'm at its okay and mildly warmish for winter must be wear your at that and I spent yesterday passed out so everything looks better I think...
    ·
    The scarf adds 5+ dex towards soul fist execution.

OK That was a terrible joke GOOD NIGHT OTT

FAREWELL!!

·
  • jamal313jamal313 >plays top tier >never wins. Joined: Posts: 12,702
    ahem i have u know that i dont even remember when i fell asleep!
    "if you can't accept losing you cant win." UMVC3: viper/dante/strider
    persona 4: Yosuke
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    ·
    meh where I'm at its okay and mildly warmish for winter must be wear your at that and I spent yesterday passed out so everything looks better I think...

It's not the cold in itself I mind, it's the fact that it screws with my skin somewhat >_<
    ·
    That list is garbage

Persona 4 at number 2
    Persona 3 at number 36 when its better than Persona 4 in just about every way imaginable (story, setting, characters, battle system that isn't dumbed down for bumpkins, etc)
    Dragon Quest doesn't make an appearance until number 35
    Alpha fucking Protocol is on the list
    Final Fantasy V over IV
    No Fire Emblem, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean, Shadow Hearts, or Digital Devil Saga

Seeing Persona 4's meteoric rise to most overrated RPG of all time makes me actually appreciate what the former champion, Final Fantasy 7, actually did for the genre.

Also I've played most of the games on that list but not New Vegas yet I still refuse to believe it's the 28th best RPG of all time, especially if it's made by Obsidian
    I was waiting for your post.

Fallout 3 is infinitely better than NV outside of mods. Surprised at Chrono Cross being there.
    And not sure why ME1>ME2.

Also :tup: for Shadow Hearts, love that game. Sad i dismissed it at first.

Thomas is alone looks like such a pretentious game lol. Nice music though.
    ·
    I played the original Shadow Hearts, got stuck on a mashing segment somewhere and quit. I can't mash to save my life in most games. Does Covenant still have those mashing sequences? I do recall the original Shadow Hearts having a pretty good atmosphere and a decent enough battle system.
    ·
    I played the original Shadow Hearts, got stuck on a mashing segment somewhere and quit. I can't mash to save my life in most games. Does Covenant still have those mashing sequences? I do recall the original Shadow Hearts having a pretty good atmosphere and a decent enough battle system.
    C'mon.

You play Marvel.
    ixodpIgWU7PJ1.gif
    ·
    ahem i have u know that i dont even remember when i fell asleep!

You probably don't remember a lot of last night, drunky.
    ·
    It's not the cold in itself I mind, it's the fact that it screws with my skin somewhat >_<
    bet that sucks sorry to hear but doesn't heat also like make eczema go weird
    (if you don't have eczema/ didn't want others to know for whatever say and I'll delete this)
    ·
    Is it a scarf or a half mask?

I need to buy myself a half mask.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
    I was waiting for your post.

Fallout 3 is infinitely better than NV outside of mods. Surprised at Chrono Cross being there.
    And not sure why ME1>ME2.

Also :tup: for Shadow Hearts, love that game. Sad i dismissed it at first.

Thomas is alone looks like such a pretentious game lol. Nice music though.
    I felt in NV they made melee and unarmed be viable compared to small/energy guns because in FO3 unarmed was pretty bad and melee wasn't much better
    ·
    Drunkmal's twitter feed was one of the most amusing things I've read in a minute
    ·
  • hybreezyhybreezy A Fraud Draws Near Joined: Posts: 7,490
    I was waiting for your post..
    tumblr_lemqvaE9GX1qbxcclo1_500.png
    Mediocre at fighting games
    ·
    Is it a scarf or a half mask?

I need to buy myself a half mask.

Don't.
    ·
    I felt in NV they made melee and unarmed be viable compared to small/energy guns because in FO3 unarmed was pretty bad and melee wasn't much better

Melee/Unarmed was pretty godlike in FO3 if you had the Chinese Stealth Armor from the Anchorage DLC. You could literally walk up to dudes on Very Hard mode while sneaking (and with 100 Sneak) and get free criticals until they died. Virtually undetectable with a Stealth Boy added to that. And since melee/unarmed kills are silent, nobody could really find out where you were unless you purposely blew your cover. Found myself ditching rifles and such and just going with a Melee + Sniper build in every playthrough I did.

Stealth is pretty damn OP in general in Bethesda RPGs. Hell, it's even good in Far Cry 3. Buy bolt-action sniper rifle, add silencer and high-powered scope mods, bulldoze through game.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    ·
  • AniMoneyAniMoney Joined: Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Chrono Cross gets too much hate. Yeah it wasn't the sequel everyone wanted, but it's still a damn good game on it's own.

I like PM: TTYD over PM original personally, but they're both amazing so I can't argue if someone has it the other way.

I bought Mass Effect 1 on sale years ago, plays maybe halfway through it and got bored. The universe never sucked me in and the gameplay wasn't really that fun :/
    UMVC3: Various Wolverine and Magneto teams.
    SSF4AE : Balrog/whoever, I don't play this much anymore
    I overthink everything and get bopped.
    ·
    bet that sucks sorry to hear but doesn't heat also like make eczema go weird

Yeah, it doesn't agree with weather that's too hot or too cold, so you can't just turn on the heating :P
    ·
  • jamal313jamal313 >plays top tier >never wins. Joined: Posts: 12,702
    You probably don't remember a lot of last night, drunky.
    i remember bits and piece's.

i woke up and seen i made a tower of all the cans i drunk......only me.

Drunkmal's twitter feed was one of the most amusing things I've read in a minute
    i was just being honest!
    "if you can't accept losing you cant win." UMVC3: viper/dante/strider
    persona 4: Yosuke
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    ·
    Don't.
    But outside is cold to my face :(
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
  • jinsaotomex3jinsaotomex3 It's tooth brushing time! Joined: Posts: 5,973

Last Remnant on console has shit FPS, on top of running on Unreal Engine. PC version has shitty default controls but it's perfectly playable with keyboard and mouse if you go for a more MMO-ish keybinds. Alternatively you can just use a controller.
    Gameplay wise the PC version got a HUGE (in terms of impact, not really length) revision that changed a bunch of mechanics on top of having a new game+ mode, hard mode and a bunch of other stuff.
    See : http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_between_Xbox_360_and_PC_versions for more info.
    Also you should bookmark this wiki because this is one of those games that tells you ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING but has a lot of "hidden" effects on shit.
    Supreme Overlord and ruler of the Hentai realm.
    Brushy brushy brushy : http://pastebin.com/aPHTTgfc
    Brushing your little sister's teeth, Jin Saotome style.
    ·
    Melee/Unarmed was pretty godlike in FO3 if you had the Chinese Stealth Armor from the Anchorage DLC. You could literally walk up to dudes on Very Hard mode while sneaking (and with 100 Sneak) and get free criticals until they died. Virtually undetectable with a Stealth Boy added to that. And since melee/unarmed kills are silent, nobody could really find out where you were unless you purposely blew your cover. Found myself ditching rifles and such and just going with a Melee + Sniper build in every playthrough I did.

Stealth is pretty damn OP in general in Bethesda RPGs.
    yea but I like tank characters and they were only good when you can be stealthy but if they spotted you and were decent you had to be shooting if not all that power fist is going to do is get looted off your corpse :|
    ·
  • Hot PantsHot Pants Bring Back SonSon! Joined: Posts: 527
    I feel awful. What's up new year, what's up OTT?
    :wasted:
    Nova/Dormammu/Strider
    ·
  • Diek StiekemDiek Stiekem Such Heroic Nonsense! Joined: Posts: 2,489 mod
    It's really cold today >_<

Anyway, happy new year everyone. May 2013 be graced by footdives without limit.

I always loved Simon Templeman as Kain in the Legacy of Kain games and will always know him mostly for that role.
    He does a great Victor von Doom though, he makes him more sound like an intellect than UMvC3's voice actor more sounds like a brute.
    "Such Heroic Nonsense!"

PSN: DiekStiekem
    XBL: DiekStiekemSRK
    Av by Savaii64
    ·
    I feel awful. What's up new year, what's up OTT?
    :wasted:

That's what you get for drinking ASDA Smartprice vodka concoctions...
    ·
    I want Zach Braff at my wedding
    ·
This discussion has been closed.