Anime & Manga Thread v.5 FAQ/IRC: See OP. Welcome to 2017.

Comments

• rehreh (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ (=‿‿= ✿) Joined: Posts: 1,292
    We really need a 2nd season of Galko-chan. Is there enough source material for more?
    ༼╬ ͡°益°༽╯彡 Dorya!
  • AlterGenesisAlterGenesis new srk is trollin Joined: Posts: 3,461
    edited May 18
    So I never got on the hype train that was Attack on Titan, 4 years ago. I marathon-ed it now since the second is about 7 episodes in...and like damn, I don't know how you can wait 4 years to see what happened next.

Like literally, jumped straight into the story like there wasn't a 4 year gap. It worked for me since I was able to watch it back-to-back. Otherwise... :o

This is probably why I don't bother watching adapted anime until years later now, who knows when they'll ever finish.
    #ipressallthebuttons
    XBL: AlterGenesis
    PSN: AlterGenesisOP
  • angelpalmangelpalm Oink oink Joined: Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 18
    I'd watch a Gunnm anime even if each episode was spread out farther apart than Hitomi Tanaka's eyes.
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    One of my friends was watching one punch man and got me into this show. Fucking hilarious, I love this shit. Def gonna keep watching until I finish.

I'm sorry. Humor me!!
    Fightcade: Ephidel
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,785
    So I never got on the hype train that was Attack on Titan, 4 years ago. I marathon-ed it now since the second is about 7 episodes in...and like damn, I don't know how you can wait 4 years to see what happened next.

Like literally, jumped straight into the story like there wasn't a 4 year gap. It worked for me since I was able to watch it back-to-back. Otherwise... :o

This is probably why I don't bother watching adapted anime until years later now, who knows when they'll ever finish.

Yeah, I kept putting off watching it for a couple of years too, so when I watched Season 1 in January, I was lucky that I didn't have much of a wait.
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Blindknagg wrote: »
    fe6.jpg
    c91.jpg

you liek washboard abs? how bout washboard chest.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 18
    Blindknagg wrote: »
    fe6.jpg
    c91.jpg

yoriuchi would like to have a word with you...
    a7c181b5924e30b3cd9db8335d407c48dfb9b55e_hq.gif
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
    Kurokun wrote: »
    a1ccbe0f77a1d7bbe0880ab8cee237d3a6ac4b1a1e43d464e1eeb59ddb61b91c.gif

What is this?
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,612
    Gasaraki wrote: »

What is this?

Interview with Monster Girls.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

What is this?

Don't get too excited (lol) there isn't much oppai service in the show.
  • Ken34Ken34 a.k.a Mashima Taichi Joined: Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

What is this?

Don't get too excited (lol) there isn't much oppai service in the show.

oppai service aside, it was still a fun decent anime to watch.
    "True Strength is something Money and Credit cards cannot buy"
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,282
    Attack on Titan had a really interesting concept then squandered it meandering around. Good ups, but a lot of BS dumbness in between that feels like they are just wasting your time.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
    People said some of the pacing things were a problem, but I don't know. That whole Female Titan arc in Season 1 was awesome, and a lot of good stuff has happened in Season 2, like Ymir suddenly becoming one of my favourite characters. Hange is still too good though, lol.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,612
    The biggest problem with Attack on Titan it always has to end an episode on a cliffhanger or major revelation at the end of every episode and it's willing to break the rules of it's universe in order to do it. Like how it had a group Titans attack during nightfall when it was established they are not active at night. It always keeps the tension high for everything to a ridiculous degree.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    The biggest problem with Attack on Titan it always has to end an episode on a cliffhanger or major revelation at the end of every episode and it's willing to break the rules of it's universe in order to do it. Like how it had a group Titans attack during nightfall when it was established they are not active at night. It always keeps the tension high for everything to a ridiculous degree.

You're incorrect. And I mean, it should be obvious he wasn't trying to be sly but that it was on purpose because the characters SPECIFICALLY point out how strange it is.

Also, spoilers for why:
    The rule is "broken" because of a certain ability possessed by an enemy titan.

It's pretty obvious the series isn't breaking its own rules, but rather what the people thought about the titans was incorrect or is now incorrect.
    edited May 19
    Armored Titan vs Annie with genitals because he's rock hard.
    015ee9e3e18880ec6f173a2fd1b3fcee--doodle-quotes-smiley-faces.jpg
  • beesuitbeesuit Joined: Posts: 3,548
    I bet her titan tiddies are fake as shit if it's as hard as it looks.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Attack on Titan had a really interesting concept then squandered it meandering around. Good ups, but a lot of BS dumbness in between that feels like they are just wasting your time.

it's called "character development".
    since the threat of the titans will always loom over humanity, why not get to know who the characters involved in the struggle a little better?
    some of their lives might be all too brief but it's certainly compelling imo.
    that's how you get readers/viewers of any comic or show invested and/or turned into fans.

the move away from just the fight against the titans plot to a conspiracy plot shows maturity in the writing and the direction the creator wants to take AoT into the future.

if you feel AoT is wasting your time, then go read or watch some other garbage that you fancy lololol
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,096
    angelpalm wrote: »
    I'd watch a Gunnm anime even if each episode was spread out farther apart than Hitomi Tanaka's eyes.
    I too would like to see a Gunnm anime series though I would appreciate it if large chunks of 'Last Order' got edited out as they don't serve any real purpose in the larger story and in a pacing sense remind me too much of the filler episodes from the Claymore anime. I am also not super optimistic that the upcoming live action Hollywood adaptation is going to be watchable. -_-
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
    beesuit wrote: »
    Why don't the Titan's ever have genitals? I'd like to see the Eren and Annie fight again, but this time with genitals.

That's...not something I need to think about. I was searching up something on AOT, and someone had done up a "Titan Mikasa" and Titan Eren doing the nasty, anatomy and all. It...wasn't pretty.
  • krokro Joined: Posts: 693
    Koe no Katachi subs are out. Pretty good movie. Go give it a watch.
    kro wrote: »

Haven't seen it yet, though I want to, but since it's a movie and not a series I imagine they had to cut a lot of the story short, because honestly calling that story just "pretty good" seems wrong to me lol

Haven't seen it yet, though I want to, but since it's a movie and not a series I imagine they had to cut a lot of the story short, because honestly calling that story just "pretty good" seems wrong to me lol

Haven't read the manga in awhile but they did cut some side character development and some other stuff towards the end. There might be less impact for me since I already knew what was going to happen.

sweet, been waiting on this.
  • mowrmowr VROOM VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,569
    edited May 19
    Just finished watching the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist. It was SHIT. Starting Brotherhood now, at episode 13 and it's so much better already it's crazy.
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=RQ68z3v1Ls0

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,598
    Both FMAs are good imo.

I don't think I can handle the feels from Koe no Katachi.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    edited May 20
    I saw Koe no Katachi a month or so back since they had limited screening where I was.

Be prepared to feel like shit while watching this. Pretty much a given from the subject matter and genre alone, though. Saori Hayama does fantastic work voicing Shouko and KyoAni artwork/animation is top notch as always. Didn't read the manga, but skipping over content and condensing things to fit a movie format is to be expected. Side characters and subplots are generally always the first to go and it's no different here. You could tell the film could've fleshed some of that out more if it had a longer runtime. It was already feature length at 2 hours so it's by no means a short film, and there's always the option to read the manga afterwards to get the extra supplementary details anyways. Beautiful piece of animation. ED song is a perfect fit too.

Get in b4 it gets jewtubed if ur too scrub to dl it. Subs are mediocre, but that's what you get with speedsubs.
    Man, people keep telling me to watch Fate/Zero and that it's the best thing ever, but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Am I actually missing much?
    Well, now I know what not to ask about.
    You asked, I simply answered.
    2hwhdtk.gif
    just finished koe no katachi. how in the world was kimi no na wa better than this? i dont see it.
    Ken34 wrote: »
    just finished koe no katachi. how in the world was kimi no na wa better than this? i dont see it.

It wasn't, it just got more traction and was probably less challenging lol
    edited May 20
    Kimi no Na Wa has more mainstream appeal, the story doesn't slow churn your gut the same way Koe no Katachi does.
    Average people can easily relate to the romance plotline in Kimi no Na Wa. The subject matter in Koe no Katachi is more heavy and touches on many difficult to deal with topics.
    Both films are great, in fact the latest Japanese Film Critics gave Koe no Katachi - Best Animated Film and Makoto Shinkai - Best Animated Film Director for his work on Kimi no Na Wa.
    Kimi no Na Wa just happened to take off bigger than anyone could've ever imagined.
    LivewireX wrote: »
    Man, people keep telling me to watch Fate/Zero and that it's the best thing ever, but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Am I actually missing much?

You're missing quite a bit in regards to Fate/Zero
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,108
    LivewireX wrote: »

They took a sucessful franchise, had a guy known for writing really good stories write a prequel for it and then had a studio that's known for really pretty art and good animation make it into an animu.

So yeah, worth a watch.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    30 minutes into Koe no Katachi... I already need a break. That movie feels like I just got kicked inside my chest.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    Koe no Katachi was very very touching.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,282
    tataa8P wrote: »

it's called "character development".
    since the threat of the titans will always loom over humanity, why not get to know who the characters involved in the struggle a little better?
    some of their lives might be all too brief but it's certainly compelling imo.
    that's how you get readers/viewers of any comic or show invested and/or turned into fans.

the move away from just the fight against the titans plot to a conspiracy plot shows maturity in the writing and the direction the creator wants to take AoT into the future.

if you feel AoT is wasting your time, then go read or watch some other garbage that you fancy lololol

Characters don't really 'develop' much in Titan. You get a bit of back story so you can relate to them or feel sad that like everybody else in this world ... people they know died to Titans so you get a flashback saying 'feel bad for this person this world sucks and Titans eat people ... even their family got eaten!'. There's some interesting developments because of the mysterious world, and at this point in the anime I'd say I was pretty happy with it. Oh look they are people not food!

Happy enough I went to read the manga to know more and it was a grand disappointment, I doubt they'll ever adopt all of it to an anime because it jumps the shark pretty bad imo.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,737
    Problem is that Attack On Titan is a gateway anime right now and they'll keep it going as long as people watch it.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    The Blame! movie also just came out. You can even watch it on Netflix.
    Characters don't really 'develop' much in Titan. You get a bit of back story so you can relate to them or feel sad that like everybody else in this world ... people they know died to Titans so you get a flashback saying 'feel bad for this person this world sucks and Titans eat people ... even their family got eaten!'. There's some interesting developments because of the mysterious world, and at this point in the anime I'd say I was pretty happy with it. Oh look they are people not food!

Happy enough I went to read the manga to know more and it was a grand disappointment, I doubt they'll ever adopt all of it to an anime because it jumps the shark pretty bad imo.

some unsolicited advice for you since you're such a connoisseur:
    - stop reading comic books/manga, they will grandly disappoint you.
    - stop watching anime, it will jump the shark pretty bad.

let the plebians enjoy their disappointing manga and shark-jumping anime though, they don't have much...

oh btw, attack on titan sucks ass big-time if you must know...
    Problem is that Attack On Titan is a gateway anime right now and they'll keep it going as long as people watch it.

That's not really a bad thing, and I'm enjoying it anyway. Then again, my gateway anime to stuff that wasn't DBZ or a video game adaptation (see also Persona 4 and Steins;Gate) was Black Lagoon, so that might just be a different norm, lol.

And I've heard about that Blame! movie just coming out from a couple of the VAs tweeting about it. I'm curious on checking it out.
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,717
    Yoooo Your Name was godlike. It's like a Christopher Nolan film.