Anime & Manga Thread v.5 FAQ/IRC: See OP. Welcome to 2017.

Comments

• Grimmjow316Grimmjow316 Huracán Salvadoreño Joined: Posts: 7,468
    edited March 2016
    Bious wrote: »
    Starting reading this smut about a man who has gone through life without ever having an erection starts getting uncontrollable raging boners.

I like it.

Brawling Go.

Do you read it off YoManga? cause that comment section man they go off. Have you read Drug Candy or Sweet Guy cause those are good too
    "Life's a journey not a destination."
    FC: 3368-2140-0560
    PSN: Grimmjow316
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,411
    edited March 2016
    Maaan just started watching Erased. They made the killer too obvious. From episode 1 to 2, the killer is a nicely dressed man who can easily target and kill children without being suspected. Anybody who has watched or is currently watching understands me. I don't even want to finish this series because too much information was revealed at the beginning. The only thing left to figure out is motive but it's still no fun.

I'll just have to assume that the creator is not well versed in writing mystery novels. Still well animated though so I guess I'll stick around for that because well executed art is a treat.

EDIT: And this person seems to have killed children at the same school in his early life. HMMMMMMM. *Sarcasm*
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,361
    Hey what was the name of that 4koma that Pterydactil recommeded? Tomo-chan something something something? Was about a tomboy girl who likes her best friend who is a dude, but he has a hard time seeing her as a girl and not another dude?
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,652

23950551989_07f56ea717_o.jpg

Waifus of Ash and Fantasy
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • krokro Joined: Posts: 698
    How does it feel to know that Ranta is gonna steal your waifu?
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,304
    Starting reading this smut about a man who has gone through life without ever having an erection starts getting uncontrollable raging boners.

I like it.

Brawling Go.

Do you read it off YoManga? cause that comment section man they go off. Have you read Drug Candy or Sweet Guy cause those are good too

No, mangahere. But I'll look at Yomanga.

I'll have to try those others ones as well.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
    edited March 2016

I like it.

Brawling Go.

I would start of with Sweet Guy then. The only other one I read from that site is Household Affairs but the art is somewhat inconsistent as of late.
    Hey what was the name of that 4koma that Pterydactil recommeded? Tomo-chan something something something? Was about a tomboy girl who likes her best friend who is a dude, but he has a hard time seeing her as a girl and not another dude?

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko.

http://read.tomochan.today/archive
  • PterodactylPterodactyl The time has come and so have I Joined: Posts: 7,194
    edited March 2016
    Finished Erased ... start off super interesting and end with a turd swirling in a toilet bowl. Jesus.

*sigh*

Read the manga, the ending to the anime, like 90% of anime endings, was rushed to shit and anime original.

They also cut down on a some major character development along the way.

Just a general tip, after you watch an adaptation and you think the ending was bad, Google when it diverts from the manga and pick up from there so you can at least get a good end.
    spread'em
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,183

23950551989_07f56ea717_o.jpg

Slideshows of Ash and Fantasy

Fixed that for you :coffee:
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,304

I like it.

Brawling Go.

I would start of with Sweet Guy then. The only other one I read from that site is Household Affairs but the art is somewhat inconsistent as of late.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko.

Enjoying Sweet Guy so far.
    Also on Brawling Go:
    God damn he needs to make up with main girl; she is fine as fuck.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,031
    i'm so fucking stoked for ace of the diamond tomorrow. omg.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

• KilleyKilley Game Over Yeeeaaaahhhhh Joined: Posts: 5,560
    edited March 2016
    Thoughts of final episodes of various series:

Erased - I think the biggest disappointment was how poorly they concealed the identity of the killer. It was pretty obvious who the killer was based on the information provided around episodes 2-4, I think. Someone mentioned earlier that the manga had more red herrings and several people that were potential suspects. Obviously, this would have been ideal if they followed this in the anime to keep us second guessing at who the killer is so that the revelation would have had more impact. The last 2 episodes suffered the most from this since you could get a feeling that some aspects of the story had to get cut in order to fit time constraints. The final episode didn't have any suspense behind it due to all of the flashbacks they were showing throughout the episode. I would have preferred it if they did the flashbacks after the climax played out but that might have been too cliched. I was pretty satisfied with the aftermath and the final scene in particular was nice. Overall, this was a well done anime with a good story and characters but it could have been a lot better with a full 25 episodes.

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans - The series suffered from pacing issues with nice steady story and character development within the first half of the series. Then you get to the final 2 episode of the series and you get this huge speed up in pacing and multiple things suffered as a result of this. In retrospect, when I look back at the final 5 episode of the series I would have been more critical of the pacing had I known that the series was ending at episode 26. If this would have been a typical 50 episode Gundam series I would have been perfectly fine if they continued on the pace they were at in episode 24. I was pretty stoked with the last episodes being in my hometown and being able to recognize a lot of the locations shown in the anime. That part was pretty cool and I never would have thought Gundam would do that.
    I wasn't feeling Ein's motivations at all since he got way too preachy during his final battle with Mikazuki. I would have also liked it if they showed what transformation Ein went through. They kept depicting Ein as a monster so I would have liked them to reinforce that with more cockpit shots. His death was also very lackluster and carried no impact and didn't even develop Mikazuki that much. It was just another obstacle for him to overcome, which I felt was wasted potential.

I did like the McGillis vs Galieo fight and how McGillis completely broke Galieo's will at the end. Again, I would have liked to seen one final scene from Galieo as he was killed just to give his death more impact. Not sure if they intentionally hid a cockpit shot of his final moments for censorship reasons or if they plan to reuse the character in the next season.

They didn't really go into Mikazuki and Orga's back story despite having multiple glimpses of their childhood. I would have thought they would have explored that further but I guess they're saving that for season 2 or something.

Overall, despite the pacing issues of the last 2 episodes, and a few minor gripes, I was satisfied with the final episode of Gundam. The first season overall was really well done and still remains as one of my favorite Gundam series to date. I hope season 2 keeps up to this standard so I can look back at the series as a whole, and be really satisfied with it. Gundam 00 could have reached that status, imo, but the series faltered too hard during the second season and the movie.

Utawarerumono - This is a show that I had high expectations for, given how much I enjoyed the first series. Unfortunately, the series had really erratic pacing. The first half of the series was a slow grind at introducing characters, first series character cameos, and filler episodes. You had maybe 2-3 serious episodes in-between but it was a pretty far departure from the first series. The first serious story arc only lasted 2 episodes, and they still injected light hearted elements in what's supposed to be a serious situation. After that, we go back to filler episodes until we get the big revelation of the main character's past. Unfortunately, this gets glossed over the very next episode when we get a huge tie-in with the original cast. This tie-in could have been extremely hype but it only lasted for 2-3 episodes to shift into the final act of the series. The final act itself was good but completely disrupted the momentum of the previous arc. The ending itself leaves a ton of questions and makes you assume that they're saving this for a 2nd season. There was a lot of potential with this series and it had a lot of good things going for it but they dropped the ball hard, imo.

Durarara!! Ketsu - I pretty much have no qualms with how Durarara!! ended at all. I was really satisfied with the ending and the aftermath. I can honestly say that was a fun ride given the series started over 10 years ago. There's definitely some flaws with the series but it was still well done and I enjoyed it tremendously.

Dimension W - Surprisingly, they did a good job with the final episode, and the last arc was exactly what I was looking for from the series. The big thing is that they ended the series without leaving any lingering questions unanswered. The major mysteries that the series setup were answered properly and we're left with a satisfying conclusion with room for a potential second season. We're probably only going to see a second season if it was popular enough but I'm not sure where they would go from here and I don't think it could live up to the first season. I would actually be pretty content if the series ended like this. It was an enjoyable show but I wouldn't consider it amazing by any means. I think this was a nice original IP and showed how to properly plan your story and character development within a cour.

Grimgar - A really satisfying ending to the season and I really hope it gets renewed for a second season. The show basically has 0 story and 100% characterization and that's not a bad thing at all. It brings a really refreshing take on the fantasy/rpg genre while combining elements of other genres. I'm going under the assumption that later seasons will dive deeper into the story and answer the questions set up in the first episode so I can forgive the lack of a underlying story. Under this assumption, 12 episodes to reeeaalllly focus on the characters is perfectly fine with me, and I thoroughly enjoyed the trials and tribulations the characters went through. The underlying issues that the characters go through are the equivalent of the issues that you would see in a slice-of-life/drama series but with a fantasy twist to them. It was cleverly written and executed really well and I thoroughly enjoyed this series. My only gripe is that the series primarily focused on Haruhiro, Mary, and Manato. Ranta and Yume did get a long of screen time and dialogue but I feel there still kind of one dimensional. Mogozu and Shihoru didn't get much development as well.

Haruchika - You really have to get into the mindset that this series is not really about music and a class band. This show falls under the mystery genre but I would have preferred a better balance between the music and mystery aspects. The music/class band only serves as a backdrop for the characters rather than the central focus. A lot of the mysteries were used to recruit new characters into the band. While these episodes were good for the initial character development, later episodes ended up ignoring these characters for the most part. I think only Serizawa had the most episodes dedicated to her and thus she was one of the more developed secondary characters. I'm assuming this is just a first season and if the show is popular enough it'll get a second season. Not sure how successful the show was but it did suffer from multiple issues. Despite that I still found the show to be enjoyable but could of have been better. This show makes me wish that Soul Hackers got an anime though.
    Post edited by Killey on
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
    Killey wrote: »
    Grimgar - A really satisfying ending to the season and I really hope it gets renewed for a second season.

It just hit me... that there won't be anymore Grimgar.

y9fgRou.jpg
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • EasilynEasilyn Inactive. Joined: Posts: 1,405
    Hm...seems like some of them animes finished...
    [Proceeds to view em]
    Doa 5: Random Select.
    Ultra: Makoto/dudley/hugo/Oni/Cody/Guy/Honda/Poison.
    Mvc2: Random Select.
    Sf5: All the odd ones, no main

Daily reminder that Merry was the one that was ready to jump to a certain death against a seemingly indomitable foe when MC-kun decided he wanted to protect everyone's smile. This is the one you bring home to your mom and pops and say, "Okairinasai, otou-san okaasan"
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,217
    I'm kind of angry at myself for watching all of Divine Gate. Let this be a lesson. Shows with the word 'Gate' in the title are of suspect quality.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
    20 episodes in and Gundam X still godlike, it's like it's taking the best of UC and the alternate timelines and mashing them together into something great, probably going to buy the DVDs day 1 (+ however long it takes resellers to get them, not giving all this proof of ID stuff just to buy shit from rightstuff) when they come out unless the ending really got fucked up by the cancellation.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • KromoKromo Render unto Miku Joined: Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Grimgar was really poverty. It was, from a technical standpoint, the worst show of the season.
    Animation errors, characters off model, lots of panning and still images. Animation saving montages. Hell even how the characters and the sketchy watercolor backgrounds don't mesh, it never really felt natural. It just got worse the longer the show went on.
    Just really inconsistent all around.

Aside from that it was pretty decent.
    Mad props to Zombie Lolerskates for the Av
    Voted poster of the year 4 years in a row! 2012 - 2015!
    All proceeds will go the Hydro Acoustic Reverberance Mechanism (H.A.R.M Project)
    Glory unto the Machine Goddess!
    Yeah, the panning, still images and montages were what killed it for me, almost feels like it would have been better as a series of short episodes rather than full length ones with all that padding absolutely killing the pacing.

It's like I get slow series but when its at the point where you're sitting there bored waiting for even just a bit of fucking dialogue, that's when a series gets dropped with the quickness.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,875
    Them manly tears in Diamond no Ace :'(
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
    edited March 2016

Daily reminder that Merry was the one that was ready to jump to a certain death against a seemingly indomitable foe when MC-kun decided he wanted to protect everyone's smile. This is the one you bring home to your mom and pops and say, "Okairinasai, otou-san okaasan"

Mary's VA (Chika Anzai) voiced Chaika. No wonder that singing voice sounded familiar. She also did Reina in Euphonium. A suite of best girls.

The Haru x Mary ship is so damn solid you could crash it into an iceberg and it'd still keep going.
    Haru's mystic eyes of death perception + plot armor will make sure of it. Fucking crit procs man
    We've had lots of anime with transporting people to an alternate fantasy world. We've also had a lot of time travel anime. But what about both at the same time?!

• Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,031
    Rictorxix wrote: »
    Them manly tears in Diamond no Ace :'(

Right? I was in the waiting room at my doctors office watching it on my phone trying so hard not to cry.

I need more.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

Thoughts on Dia no Ace:
    The final inning was super anti-climatic with how Furuya ended up sweeping them but you could pretty much tell that was going to happen when the start of the episode was to 'Flight of the Valkyries'. I think they needed to end the match faster to have enough time for the after math or maybe that's how it was in the manga. I can accept that compromise though because the after math was phenomenal.

I really like how they showed the elation of the new team and frustration of the third years for not being able to make it that far last year. The heart felt speech from the coach at the end perfectly captured the third years emotions and his own frustrations. I also like the scene at the end with Sawamura asking what's so special about the Nationals. The response was so simple yet completely accurate.

Amazing series and I'm really sad to see it end now. Hopefully, it's just a temporary ending and we'll get another season in due time.
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
  • PastramiPastrami Delicious Deli Meat Joined: Posts: 206
    wait so was that the last episode of Iron Blooded Orphans? It felt like there were too many loose ends introduced in this last episode to just call it quits.
    [♥slimey... yet satisfying♥]
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,875
    Thoughts on Dia no Ace:
    The final inning was super anti-climatic with how Furuya ended up sweeping them but you could pretty much tell that was going to happen when the start of the episode was to 'Flight of the Valkyries'. I think they needed to end the match faster to have enough time for the after math or maybe that's how it was in the manga. I can accept that compromise though because the after math was phenomenal.

I really like how they showed the elation of the new team and frustration of the third years for not being able to make it that far last year. The heart felt speech from the coach at the end perfectly captured the third years emotions and his own frustrations. I also like the scene at the end with Sawamura asking what's so special about the Nationals. The response was so simple yet completely accurate.

Amazing series and I'm really sad to see it end now. Hopefully, it's just a temporary ending and we'll get another season in due time.
    From what I understand there is not enough material to have a season 3 anytimr soon. I guess I'll have to read the manga to find out what happens after Koshien.
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,285
    Grimgar - A really satisfying ending to the season and I really hope it gets renewed for a second season. The show basically has 0 story and 100% characterization and that's not a bad thing at all.

Honestly I feel with the shift from standard 24-26 episodes to 10-13 that is basically the only way an anime can be really strong nowadays. 12-13 episodes can tell a good story, but you can only get so epic and have a limited number of elements to work with. You need a great short story, but to many anime's stick to the anime tropes where the characters are in an atmosphere that shoots for big grand adventure which they don't have time to do properly.

Nowadays very few anime's seem to do solid in the story department and instead rely on good comedy and character interaction only. That has always been a thing, but whereas it was just a section of anime it seems to be the dominant form nowadays. It isn't bad per se, but I think this is in general the direction many anime are going in an attempt make up for not having many episodes.

There are several anime's back at the 24-26 standard you need to get 4-6 episodes in to start getting why it is so good, but there is still 75%+ of the content left to keep you satisfied so that isn't such a big deal. Now you only have 40-50% content left by the time they get character and world introductions out of the way if they do it organically. There are also the anime's that are 24 episodes but have a rough episode 10-13 because they didn't know they'd get renewed so they flubbed up something that could have been truly exception and settled for not terrible to fit it all in.

Not really a complaint but read Gilley's comment and it made me start thinking and thought it would be an interesting discussion.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • PterodactylPterodactyl The time has come and so have I Joined: Posts: 7,194
    edited March 2016
    More on Lovely Ghost Kana...

You know I can't fathom how the first thing a guy does when he sees a ghost is try to fuck it without any kind of background information(if ghosts exist, who's to say ghost venereal diseases don't exist as well?) but I can't be entirely upset with a guy that got to skeet balls deep into a spectre's mouth after only a week's worth of conversation. Like I said I can't really understand this premise but it's not without depth, I assume.

Truly this is a work fit to be dissected by the finest scholars, I'm more than sure there are many symbolic messages to be pulled from a guy tonguing down phantom pussy and blowing her non-corporeal back out like a literal ghost buster, and I can only hope this symbolism is not completely lost to me by the time I finish reading it.

All that said, this is actually a pretty sweet love story.
    spread'em
    edited March 2016
    snip

I'm definitely up for better characterization in animes and there's been plenty of shows that were 26+ episodes that didn't have good characterization. Personally, I really don't like the shift of season standards from 24-26 episodes to 11-13 episodes. I can understand from the business side of things why the industry has shifted to this format but I feel the quality of story telling suffers as a result unless the anime is based on existing material. Even then, we get cases like "Erased" and "Kids on the Slope" where they're forced to condense the original story to fit time constraints. For original IPs it becomes extremely difficult to write a good story and have good character development within an 11-13 episode format. A lot of compromises have to be taken with the story in order to fit the time constraints and it's hard to write something truly epic that's meant for 26-50 episodes with an intentional split at the 11-13/24-26 episode mark. Good examples of these issues are Code Geass/Gundam 00 for a show that should have been a continuous 50 episode series and Aldnoah.Zero for a show that should have been a continuous 26 episodes.

From this season I think Grimgar and Dimension W did a fantastic job working within the 11-13 episode constraint. Grimgar was based on existing source material and I'm not sure how much of it was 1-to-1. I believe Dimension W was an original IP and as was a really good example of working within an 11-13 episode time constraint. It felt like the writer/director had a clear idea of what they wanted to accomplish in those 12 episodes but gave enough room for a potential second season. It didn't intentionally throw in a cliffhanger or left too many unanswered questions to force a second season. It answered the major questions nicely and left room for more.
    Post edited by Killey on

I like it.

Brawling Go.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko.

Enjoying Sweet Guy so far.
    Also on Brawling Go:
    God damn he needs to make up with main girl; she is fine as fuck.
    Looks like he getting some manager action now expect the neighbor to join in so its harem time. Lol at jizz on the ceiling.
    Ok finished Space Adventure Cobra.
    So mummified 3000 year old Hitler in space was using his ghost which happens to look like a samurai who's default expression is a shit eating grin to try and take over the universe using statues of big naked women firing beams from balls in their laps, which are defeated by giving them the order "I think therefore I am" which causes them to become self aware so they deny each other and destroy each other.

Ok

Also Space Adventure Cobra breaks kayfabe years before it was well known in the second to last episode, well played lol.

Fucking Salamander giving Cobra the thumbs up in the wrestling match had me dieing
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
  • ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheero Joined: Posts: 2,049
    Pastrami wrote: »
    wait so was that the last episode of Iron Blooded Orphans? It felt like there were too many loose ends introduced in this last episode to just call it quits.

I believe they're setting up for a second season.

really felt this show missed its mark, but even then it handled the child soldiers thing so much better than MGS5. poorly equipped, hopelessly outmatched, and either too afraid to retreat or too loyal you were watching them do things where you would go "thats fucked up"they were seriously some of the best in that series and had it been nothing but that this would have been more than just a medicore shounen anime. those 3 kids should have been the main characters imo
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,217
    snip

I'm definitely up for better characterization in animes and there's been plenty of shows that were 26+ episodes that didn't have good characterization. Personally, I really don't like the shift of season standards from 24-26 episodes to 11-13 episodes. I can understand from the business side of things why the industry has shifted to this format but I feel the quality of story telling suffers as a result unless the anime is based on existing material. Even then, we get cases like "Erased" and "Kids on the Slope" where they're forced to condense the original story to fit time constraints. For original IPs it becomes extremely difficult to write a good story and have good character development within an 11-13 episode format. A lot of compromises have to be taken with the story in order to fit the time constraints and it's hard to write something truly epic that's meant for 26-50 episodes with an intentional split at the 11-13/24-26 episode mark. Good examples of these issues are Code Geass/Gundam 00 for a show that should have been a continuous 50 episode series and Aldnoah.Zero for a show that should have been a continuous 26 episodes.

From this season I think Grimgar and Dimension W did a fantastic job working within the 11-13 episode constraint. Grimgar was based on existing source material and I'm not sure how much of it was 1-to-1. I believe Dimension W was an original IP and as was a really good example of working within an 11-13 episode time constraint. It felt like the writer/director had a clear idea of what they wanted to accomplish in those 12 episodes but gave enough room for a potential second season. It didn't intentionally throw in a cliffhanger or left too many unanswered questions to force a second season. It answered the major questions nicely and left room for more.
    I agree that Dimension W did a pretty good job of handling its business. Grimgar a little less so as it felt like they where setting one, very critical idea up for the first couple of episodes in the concept of people in a fantasy MMORPG who don't know they're in a MMORPG and then never mentioning it again. I would kind of add Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle to this seasons list of 12 episode series that handled what they needed to mostly because it's really clear that they saved their monies to blow on a big ep.12 finale and they IMO mostly accomplished that.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
    Yeah, Bahamut did what it needed to do in 12 episodes but I wouldn't call it a good show. It doesn't separate itself from every other show that follows the same formula so far.