Community Team Tech Development: Cycle 11 Strider Hiryu/Doctor Strange/Akuma

ChrisisChrisis Follows her pathJoined: Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
This thread is to have the community delve into teams and use our combined ingenuity to come up with amazing tech for characters and combinations outside our normal realm of use. This will give new knowledge to every character over the course of the thread, and raise the Marvel community's play level as a whole. I have confidence that with the variety of skilled people in the community we'll come up with a lot of cool technology.

Every 2 weeks a team will be selected and everyone who can goes into the lab with that team, attempting to find any cool tools, tech, and tricks. Feel free to brain storm with others, and do everything you can to come up with interesting powerful tools that make the team scary to fight against.

At the end of the 2 week tech cycle, everyone can cast their votes on what they think the most interesting or useful technology for the team that the community came up with. Whoever's tech wins that cycle gets to choose the next team for people to delve in to.

The first cycle will start this Saturday 01-05-2013. I want to iron out any format related stuff and build interest from the community until then to get us going.

If you have any suggestions on how the thread should deal with voting, tech submissions etc please post, this is here to help everyone get as good at the game as possible so share your wisdom!

I understand not everyone has recording equipment. I'm sending out a request to all medium to high execution players with the ability to record. If there's tech in this thread that does not have a video, please support those of us without capture cards and make videos for those who cannot.

The first person who volunteers to record will be the person to choose our first team to come up with tech for, so please, support the community and lets come up with cool tools!

Be sure to document everything you find, even though a move may not work for your purposes sharing how it works with someone else may combine into better tech than either of you would have come up with on your own.

Team Submission:
When submitting a team we want to advance their tech as far as possible within 2 weeks so it's vital to share information you already have for trying to bring the team as far as possible within that time.

ALL CHARACTERS FROM THE PREVIOUS 2 CYCLES ARE BANNED. This will help with character variety.

Team characters: Of course we need to know the characters in order to find any tech for them, give a brief description of why you chose the team, and what specific areas you see the most potential for IE combinations of moves with commonly abusable properties (Set hit stun, derpy hitboxes, etc) and things to avoid that appear better than they are. Even if something appears uesless there may be something secretly awesome so still explore these fields, just be aware they need something else to make them safe.

Character assists: Although I think it should be fine to experiment with all assists, if you have specific intentions for which assists each character should be on and why please note some basic usage of each assist with each other character on the team. This includes the anchor character with the other two assists, it can be important in case of snap backs. This is only a recommendation, feel free to mess around with every assist though as you may come up with different tech that way!

DHCs and THCs: If there are particularly strong DHCs you're already aware of either for set ups, ludicrous damage, or other such things please say so, it will help people come up with more ways to abuse said tech.

Additional notes: If there are other things that you feel will help others come up with as much interesting tech as possible please share! This is about making the team as awesome as possible, so be thorough when positting it.

Teams by cycle, and winning tech:
1/5/13 - 1/19/13 Taskmaster (Horizontal Arrows)/Doctor Doom (Hidden Missiles)/Amaterasu (Cold Star)
1/26/13 - 2/9/13 Hawkeye/Storm/Dante
2/16/13 - 3/2/13 Felicia/Dormammu/Magneto
3/9/13 - 3/23/13

--ChrIsis
Post edited by Preppy on
Isis is something shiny that likes water.

Comments

• GodlessModeGodlessMode ^ tier thread Joined: Posts: 779
    I would be happy to help record for this with what time I have.
    Welcome to die.
    UMVC3 Teams: Dok/Dorm/Doom, Dante/FW/Deadpool, Zero/Morrigan/Doom

SCV: Zwei (I'm a Masochist!)
  • Diek StiekemDiek Stiekem Such Heroic Nonsense! Joined: Posts: 2,462 mod
    Intresting... I approve this, SRK could always use new tech.. stickied
    "Such Heroic Nonsense!"

PSN: DiekStiekem
    XBL: DiekStiekemSRK
    Av by Savaii64
  • LegendaryDJLegendaryDJ I'm Done Joined: Posts: 2,771
    I was just about to say this thread should be stickied. Then you come in with the assist. That's what's up.
  • double Fdouble F Joined: Posts: 653
    you could use one of those free polling / voting websites to get the first team. i would suggest doing it this way:

- there are 3 pages of voting, each page lets you select 1 character out of the whole cast
    - 1st page you pick who you want on point
    - 2nd page you pick your middle character
    - 3rd page you pick your anchor

so whichever characters get the most votes for point, middle and anchor respectively will be put together as the first team.

doing it this way will allow everyone to have input, but still maintain a team with characters in sensible positions (since i doubt many people would vote for Wolverine on anchor, Sentinel on point, etc.)
  • ChrisisChrisis Follows her path Joined: Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be happy to help record for this with what time I have.
    Excellent! What's the first team that we'll all be working with starting Saturday?

I strongly recommend making a thorough write up on the team and choices regarding assists, DHCs etc. If people already have a high ground of information to work from they can come up with even more amazing tech during that time.
  • The UltimatorThe Ultimator I fight for my friends. Joined: Posts: 1,977
    I suggest that say, Chrisis picks like 6 Marvel characters and 6 Capcom characters, and everyone in the thread gets to vote for 3 characters. And I'd make a rule that the characters that get picked one week can't be reused for another two or so weeks, so we don't keep getting like XXX/Spencer/Strange or XXX/Doom/Vergil or anything like that.
    XBL: The Ultimator25
    Retired from UMvC3 – at least for now.
    SSBM & Project M – Mains: Ike, Marth
    Chrom or Lucina for Smash 4!
  • AvariceXAvariceX Joined: Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll contribute whatever I can to this and I can record. I think we should maybe do 2 weeks of tech research/creation/recording, followed by maybe a week of reviewing and voting. There needs to be some sort of intermission like that to give everyone a chance to go over the discoveries and vote (and to give last-minute entries a chance), and although a week seems like it might be too long, it's the only way you'll keep the deadlines consistent....then again it might just encourage a lot of last-minute entries.
    UMvC3: Firebrand/Zero/Dante; Zero/Dante/Strider; MvC2: MSP
    SFIV: Juri | 3S: Yun| ST: O.Ryu
    BB: Rachel, Makoto, u-12
  • charlie88charlie88 Devil Survivor is my $Hit....your friendly neighborhood NiGga Joined: Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll contribute whatever I can to this and I can record. I think we should maybe do 2 weeks of tech research/creation/recording, followed by maybe a week of reviewing and voting. There needs to be some sort of intermission like that to give everyone a chance to go over the discoveries and vote (and to give last-minute entries a chance), and although a week seems like it might be too long, it's the only way you'll keep the deadlines consistent....then again it might just encourage a lot of last-minute entries.

What about a week of trying these tech ideals out in a real match setting.
    A wild typical Nigga appeared...... Greninja use Job Application, Committment and Read A Book...... Its super effective..... The Wild Nigga fleed..... Win Quote: I must use the tools the white man has given us to protect our world from coonery and bafoonery
  • GameHovaGameHova O.N.I.F.C. Joined: Posts: 558
    I have suggested an idea like this before but was ridicule.
    I think it would be best to start with the so called low tier character, Storm, Coon, Ghost, Spider Man, Hsien ko, Arthur, Tron, She-hulk, Iron Man, Nemesis etc
    IRONMAN/DORMAMMU/STRANGE
    I recommend as you come up with tech you try it in real matches, play casuals with your friends as the team, work out situations that come up that you either feel it's really strong or has difficulties etc. This is to make the team stronger, not just training mode cool.

I intend that after each cycle everyone who participates should be able to consistently see strong tools with the team and thus be able to analyze how good the team is, for all we know this thread may come up with the next Morrigan/Vergil/Doom.

I really like Avarice's week of rest for voting, posted that in the first post for intervals.
    I have suggested an idea like this before but was ridicule.
    I think it would be best to start with the so called low tier character, Storm, Coon, Ghost, Spider Man, Hsien ko, Arthur, Tron, She-hulk, Iron Man, Nemesis etc
    I think character variety is important. We should insure that no characters from the previous 2 cycles are in the current team, that way there's always variety, but if someone gets revisited later there's been a large enough interval of time to view the character with fresh eyes and ideas.

I think that this will insure variety, but also not limit people's options. If a winner wants us to come up with crazy Magneto/Skrull/Iron Man tech or something that should be totally fine despite Magneto being nowhere near low tier.
  • HonzogonzoHonzogonzo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Joined: Posts: 3,302
    Choose my team and show me something new, if you can then I will be apart of everyone of these.
    http://www.justin.tv/honzo_gonzo
    follow me on twitter @honzogonzo
    youtube: youtube.com/thewasteofflesh
    facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honzo-vs-Marvel/254784834545478
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Choose my team and show me something new, if you can then I will be apart of everyone of these.
    Thread, I see this as a great opportunity, could we do this as the first challenge in honor of our great and powerful troll?

I'm sure that there are plenty of things that Honzo hasn't gotten to yet with his team. ;)
  • serpentaurusserpentaurus just watching Joined: Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest we start with the X/Raccoon/Vergil shell. Raccoon is another theory character that needs to be developed and i think he's bf with Vergil, swords DHC means no low damage output, and his zoning/camper game is stronger with rapid slash
    umvc3: Thor / Dr.Strange / Ammy - Thor / Dorm / Doom - Wesker / Dr.Strange / Vergil - ssf4: Vega
  • RokmodeRokmode preppy asked me to change my title rip meaty mud flap Joined: Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thread, I see this as a great opportunity, could we do this as the first challenge in honor of our great and powerful troll?

I'm sure that there are plenty of things that Honzo hasn't gotten to yet with his team. ;)
    Secret honzo team tech:
    step 1: Sacrifice taskmaster to the vergil gods
    step 2: :a1:+:a2: :a1:+:a2: :a1:+:a2: :a1:+:a2: :a1:+:a2: :a1:+:a2: :a1:+:a2: :a1:+:a2:
    THIS WEBSITE SUCKS GIANT HORSE @#$@#$@!@$
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
  • bloodabeastbloodabeast Da Best Protoss Joined: Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    i'd love to record for something like this. just wondering what kind of team we should be working on atm. i've got several ways to record for something like this for match footage and training mode stuff
    @fchampryan
    I have so much game knowledge but nothing counters morrigan... Wtf do we all do?
    UMVC3: Magneto into touch of death.
    We're supposed to talk about tech Honzo doesn't know though Rokmode.
    i'd love to record for something like this. just wondering what kind of team we should be working on atm. i've got several ways to record for something like this for match footage and training mode stuff
    That just made me realize it would be exceptionally hype if we could set up a tournament or something to actually show off some of that tech in play as well. It would be really cool to see someone go beast mode with all the contributions that everyone in the thread has made.
  • MustachioMustachio Green Maid's Husbando Joined: Posts: 3,291
    I'm too bad at this game to develop tech. Instead, I could always record what not to do.
    I'm too bad at this game to develop tech. Instead, I could always record what not to do.
    That's the wrong mindset. Approach it from the angle that you're bringing a different perspective, and that can make things a lot better. People of all skill levels are welcome to try!
  • sjohnst2sjohnst2 Joined: Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭
    That just made me realize it would be exceptionally hype if we could set up a tournament or something to actually show off some of that tech in play as well. It would be really cool to see someone go beast mode with all the contributions that everyone in the thread has made.
    CTTV| YourNameHere
    Also, does anybody know how we could get this on the SRK front page so we can attract more interest? I think it would be best to get it up there after the first cycle starts so people have some examples of others to work from in case they aren't accustomed to searching for tech in the lab.
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 12,204 mod
    Was just about to do the same
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
  • SteelgutteySteelguttey MoThErFuCkEr Joined: Posts: 729
    K.
    Firebrand/Frank/Strider. Basically SexualRice's team but Firebrand has wings instead of anti-airs.
    XBL: Steelguttey
    UMVC3: Main: Amaterasu (Cold Star), Frank West (Shopping Cart), Dante (Jam Session)
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,367
    What's Honzo's team? And I can record anything my hands are capable of doing (and anyone who knows me knows my hands can......get around >_>)..

Recording matches though is a no-no for me though. New team/characters+online+PVR lag makes Kaiten a sad sad pervert
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

• charlie88charlie88 Devil Survivor is my $Hit....your friendly neighborhood NiGga Joined: Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mods prob have the most authority to get it on the front pages.
    A wild typical Nigga appeared...... Greninja use Job Application, Committment and Read A Book...... Its super effective..... The Wild Nigga fleed..... Win Quote: I must use the tools the white man has given us to protect our world from coonery and bafoonery
    Oh and cisco is banned from this thread.
    UMVC3: Main: Amaterasu (Cold Star), Frank West (Shopping Cart), Dante (Jam Session)
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,367
    Also, does anybody know how we could get this on the SRK front page so we can attract more interest? I think it would be best to get it up there after the first cycle starts so people have some examples of others to work from in case they aren't accustomed to searching for tech in the lab.
    Suggest it to dev since he seems to be willing to help with getting respectable stuff like this on the front page.

I also have a suggestion, we codename the teams using the characters' first page numbers in the bible. So the Dante/Vergil/Strider team would be codenamed Team 444182172. This makes the tech for teams easier to find rather than searching for "Dante/Vergil/Strider" as it's a pretty common search term. Using the first page numbers in the bible makes it so that there's only one true number for each character and you can refer to the bible or a list of it's page number then type in the string of 9 numbers to get tech for your team.

For example if we add "#team444182172" as a tag to any videos on YT with tech for that team, those videos would show up as more relevant bc its a near random bunch of numbers. This would even help searching for it on Google so other sites can add to it
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

Excellent! What's the first team that we'll all be working with starting Saturday?

I strongly recommend making a thorough write up on the team and choices regarding assists, DHCs etc. If people already have a high ground of information to work from they can come up with even more amazing tech during that time.

My gut reaction was Firebrand/Vergil/Raccoon in some order, for similar reasons as others have mentioned (Namely that there is a lot of doubt about Firebrand/Raccoon, and Vergil magically fills in some of the holes they have in a kind of BFF way).

But since Honzo signed up to participate in all future efforts if we do his team, I say we do his team. I will put up a write-up of what I consider to be their key tools, potentially unexplored options etc. to give a good starting point a bit later tonight (I'm at work right this second).

That said, I do play Doom extensively, but have limited experience with TM and the DOG, off the top of my head I can probably list some of their key features/traits/etc. but I think we will get the best results if some experts with the team chime in and lay out more of the groundwork than I could considering my limited experience.
    Welcome to die.

• drendren Joined: Posts: 353
    I find the idea of just one team a bit restrictive. When I'm playing around with teams I often switch out the characters a lot as my understanding of their tech evolves and I decide on different gameplans. Perhaps it would be good to relax the rules a bit such that people can select a goal for the week. The goal could be finding new tech for Honzo's team or it could be something less restrictive like find the best Rocket Raccoon shell.
  • HabbySHHabbySH Bionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRM! Joined: Posts: 217
    I vote we choose a Spencer team. Let's bring him to top tier status #barelymidtier.

Spencer/Doom/?
    When in doubt, bionic arm.

UMVC3 teams:  Spencer/Doom/Hawkeye, Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye In progress: something cheaper
  • CriminalUpperCriminalUpper Still loves football Joined: Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I find the idea of just one team a bit restrictive. When I'm playing around with teams I often switch out the characters a lot as my understanding of their tech evolves and I decide on different gameplans. Perhaps it would be good to relax the rules a bit such that people can select a goal for the week. The goal could be finding new tech for Honzo's team or it could be something less restrictive like find the best Rocket Raccoon shell.

Yup sounds like there'll be a lot of limitations on just having it be one team per week or whatever you have it as. Just because there may not really be much innovative tech possible with certain team layouts. Maybe duos instead? Or have a small pool of characters to choose from? Just spitballing though
    If we are to do 2 teams make one a higher tier team and one a lower tier team. That way if you don't want to explore the godly characters you can explore the lesser characters and the overall community benefits from the knowledge.
  • drendren Joined: Posts: 353
    Yup sounds like there'll be a lot of limitations on just having it be one team per week or whatever you have it as. Just because there may not really be much innovative tech possible with certain team layouts. Maybe duos instead? Or have a small pool of characters to choose from? Just spitballing though
    I agree with the idea that just not a lot of tech may be possible with certain layouts. However, I don't think that what can be chosen as the topic should be limited because restricting to duos or pools may not be the best way to do things either. It might make sense to choose a single team or to choose something like "Choose Skrull/Frank West and one of Dante/Sentinel/Nova/Hsien-ko". Restrictions or no, a comprehensive and well researched first post seems pretty necessary to ensure that efforts are successful.

GodlessMode, are you really interested in people finding tech for a RR/Firebrand team or are you more interested in e.g. RR/Vergil with whatever third and Firebrand/Vergil with whatever third? I find it hard to imagine that RR/Firebrand are particularly good for each other which is why I'm wondering if the format were different would you have thought differently.
    I vote we choose a Spencer team. Let's bring him to top tier status #barelymidtier.

Spencer/Doom/?
    Spencer/Ammy/Doom I like. Mostly because of THC with Spencer/Ammy giving him free mixups.
  • donu7donu7 ninjav surprise! Joined: Posts: 532
    I say start with an unusual comp like anyone/deadpool/phoenix
  • RoboticRobotic Joined: Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see some themed teams, like team Resident Evil, Team Avengers, Team Streetfighter etc.
  • AniMoneyAniMoney Joined: Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Honzo's team is a good enough place to start. But after that we should do some underplayed characters like Spiderman or Firebrand.
    UMVC3: Various Wolverine and Magneto teams.
    SSF4AE : Balrog/whoever, I don't play this much anymore
    I overthink everything and get bopped.
    GodlessMode, are you really interested in people finding tech for a RR/Firebrand team or are you more interested in e.g. RR/Vergil with whatever third and Firebrand/Vergil with whatever third? I find it hard to imagine that RR/Firebrand are particularly good for each other which is why I'm wondering if the format were different would you have thought differently.

Well, to be honest if I were to approach this from a "how do we find tech" perspective I would personally suggest we focus it around a single character, identify their strengths and weaknesses, identify which team mates can help with their strengths and weaknesses and use that as a way to look for new tech and or ways that these characters can establish themselves in the meta... but I think the cycle would be much slower than a week if we were to try and do that.

That said, I mostly just want to help the community; from a gameplay perspective I believe that both RR and Firebrand have a lot of room to grow tech-wise, and both suffer from some similar issues which can easily be resolved with a character like Vergil (or Zero, or Doom, Spency, etc). Also, I dont think RR/FB are bad buddies, I actually think they have some significant synergy, but perhaps not THE BEST synergy there is, but there is synergy there. (I don't believe RR is ideal on point, I prefer him as a support character).
    Welcome to die.

• MAGUS1234MAGUS1234 drunk at keystone II Joined: Posts: 3,898
    my vote goes to anchors rarely played to their potential Hawkeye Strider Sent Dante Strange. Some combination of them. Of course to show people that they have more than cracking xf lvl 3 and winning or losing based on that.
    I came to Keystone II and all I got was DP'd.
  • NonSexualRiceNonSexualRice Hey Fatty Boom Boom, Hit Me with the Ching Ching Joined: Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's far easier to start with characters with less information about them then starting with those we already are exposed to.
    BB: valkenhayn/Carl
    SG: Fortune/Eliza (hype train)/Valentine
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,755 mod
    :D

I'll trade front page post for at least one cycle involving Morg/Dante/Doom(which you encouraged me to play anyhow).
  • double Fdouble F Joined: Posts: 653
    I think the sooner you announce a team the better. Take advantage of everyone's enthusiasm right now.

Forget what I said earlier about voting on a team. Just pick something and let's get going!
  • scythe masterscythe master Joined: Posts: 376
    I think the sooner you announce a team the better. Take advantage of everyone's enthusiasm right now.

Forget what I said earlier about voting on a team. Just pick something and let's get going!

completely agree
  • HabbySHHabbySH Bionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRM! Joined: Posts: 217
    my vote goes to anchors rarely played to their potential Hawkeye Strider Sent Dante Strange. Some combination of them. Of course to show people that they have more than cracking xf lvl 3 and winning or losing based on that.

I would agree with this. Hawkeye in particular would be great. Especially because of how highly Chrisis thinks of the character.
    When in doubt, bionic arm.

UMVC3 teams:  Spencer/Doom/Hawkeye, Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye In progress: something cheaper
  • EirokajEirokaj The Pad Warrior Joined: Posts: 906
    This thread is kicking off to a great start. Good luck to you guys. ^u^
    Xbox One GT: RL Eirokaj
    + Killer Instinct: Sadira / T.J. Combo

Playstation Network ID: EiroHeart
    + USFIV: Guy | JJASB: Iggy / Lisa Lisa | UNIEL: Hilda

--

Twitter - https://twitter.com/Eirokaj
  • KefKef Joined: Posts: 3,112
    Can we start already?

tumblr_m5y78vm1Al1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
    Persona 4:[/B][/I][/U] Main: Akihiko
    If you wanna play some MVC2/Persona/BBCP: PSN: I-Kef-I and KefPringlez

"Don't be nice, it's Marvel son, the origin of hatred. The game ain't about being nice. If you want to be nice play Tea Party Adventures. They go that shit on DS I heard." - Romneto

- Credit for image on avatar to Cindysuke on devianArt. http://cindysuke.deviantart.com/
  • MomochuuMomochuu Little ♥ Monster Joined: Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭
    I can record things if necessary :]
    Dante Combo Thread | Youtube Channel | Dante Tech Thread | @HelloKarinachuu
    UMvC3: Morrigan (α)/Dante (α)/ Doctor Doom (β)| Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru/Shadow Labrys
    XBL Gamertag: Hello Momomo
    Hey guys,

Just in case you didn't see, I selected a team, its Honzo's team to start. I will be posting a summary of the team and their properties as I understand them after I get home. If you want to start putting together tech now go ahead.

The team for those not familiar with Honzo is...

Taskmaster/Doom/Ammy

Expect an update in a few hours with my summary of the team and the team members.
    Welcome to die.

• HonzogonzoHonzogonzo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Joined: Posts: 3,302
    The reason I say my team is because I know my team very well, I have been playing it since launch, so if you guys can collaboratively figure out something that I haven't then in my eyes you can do just about every team and figure something out and therefore this thread has a long and bright future. I just want to see if this can work or not.
    http://www.justin.tv/honzo_gonzo
    follow me on twitter @honzogonzo
    youtube: youtube.com/thewasteofflesh
    facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honzo-vs-Marvel/254784834545478