• LegendaryDJLegendaryDJ I'm Done Joined: Posts: 2,771
    edited February 2013
    Felicia/Dorm/Magneto     1
    Vergil/Morrigan/Shuma    2
    Felicia/Strange/Akuma    3
    Spencer/Dante/Akuma    4
     Haggar (lariat) Chris (Land Mine) Taskmaster (hori arrows)   5
    X23/IM/RR   6

So with the teams here, random number 1-6.

Post edited by LegendaryDJ on
  • jak d riprjak d ripr Joined: Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Vergil/Morrigan/shuma? Hmmmm, this could be interesting. I won't lie my first reaction was yuck, but you never know, mystic ray is pretty dope with logan so vergil should have some nice shenanigans with it. We still gotta let chrisis know though, ill PM him if no one else has already(would hate to bombard him with messages).

EDIT: PM'ed him, now we just gotta wait.
    Post edited by jak d ripr on
    Charge moves, and my general dislike for how they designed him has made me not wanna play Shuma, but I guess it'd be cool to play around with him. I hate Vergil with a passion, but I guess it's time I learned how to face this fake demon by becoming him. Morrigan is cool, so I don't mind seeing what she's got goin' on.
  • SteelgutteySteelguttey MoThErFuCkEr Joined: Posts: 729
    Well the whole basis of the team is that Vergil can protect morrigan's harmonizer assist and Vergil has some broken mixups with Ray. Plus I love morrigan with ray because it's like if Plasma beam and hidden missles had a baby.
    XBL: Steelguttey
    UMVC3: Main: Amaterasu (Cold Star), Frank West (Shopping Cart), Dante (Jam Session)
  • Merkyl999xMerkyl999x Crazy X-23 Guy Joined: Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    1:Vergil/Morrigan/Shuma 'Like Chris Gs team, but Ray helps Vergil more than missiles does and Morrigan can make good use of Shuma's assist.'
    2:Felicia/Strange/Akuma
    3:X23/IM/RR 'Damage, mixups, 1 touch - 3 dead characters...3/4 screen combo confirms...just gotta make RR scarier'
    4:spencer/dante/akuma 'bionic punishes into death and 3 way synergy!'  (prior 2 rule)
    5: Haggar (lariat) Chris (Land Mine) Taskmaster (hori arrows)   (prior 2 rule)

I feel like the random generator would be the fairest option at this point since last cycle was pretty much a bust.  Anyone that wants to put in a team request, get it in by tomorrow morning.  Keep in mind that the rules say we can't use the last 2 cycles, so Doom, Tasky, Ammy, Dante, Hawkeye, Storm should be out for this cycle.  Try to give a summary of what you want to accomplish with your suggested team so people know what we're looking at.

Instead of doing the whole 'winner picks the next' thing since that eats up a lot of time deciding who won, do we just want to have a big list that anyone that contributes can add teams to, then just remove any that can't be used by the prior cycles rule and go random each week?  I'll volunteer to keep the list updated if there's interest in running it this way.  I think think the winner picks rule makes it so people that don't feel like they have much to contribute don't bother at all.

Objection/suggestions/anything?
    Post edited by Merkyl999x on
    UMvC3: Magneto(EMD)/ X-23(CS)/Dante(JS)
    300%, Welcome to America.
    R.I.P. Iron Man/Rocket Raccoon
    I like that idea. It's like my idea, except more formalized. Should cut down on team transitioning time. The obvious drawback to it is there's no incentive for putting out tech for teams you might not normally look into, which is what I think Chrisis was going for when he did the "winner picks next" thing. That said, the way it's looking like right now is that the ones doing the tech searching are the active posters in the thread. I'm sure we don't want this to be a small group thing, but as long as tech is being consistently posted, that might not be too big of a draw back.
  • SB MaximusSB Maximus Joined: Posts: 72
    Thor/ Dormmamu/ Strange

Ridiculous damage, but not the best mobility. Strange anchor isn't the best, but he could be better, find some solo mixups? Thor has hidden potential, hidden beneath the awkward airdash and weird normals. Dormammu is the only character on this team that I'm actually decent with, and he's pretty damn tricky with Bolts behind him, plus they extend his combos. This team may not work because they're all big-bodied.
    PSN: Doeomo

Mainly Marvel. I'm trying to learn some SF too.
  • jak d riprjak d ripr Joined: Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Oh yea I forgot that dante was in the last cycle(I'm honestly not sure how I forgot considering its in the title).

I think we should just stick with the team that won since it didn't break the rule and has some potential, plus it includes a criminally under-explored character in shuma. Plus while I do agree a random generator seems a lot fairer, it also takes away some the drive to discover new tech for w/e team we are running in the current cycle since prior to the implementation of this new rule, one motivator was that if you found good tech you could make everyone else search for tech for your team. Now your finding tech, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Just a thought. I guess we could run with it with this cycle and see how it turns out and if its a massive bust then we can discuss changes going further.
    Post edited by jak d ripr on
  • bloodabeastbloodabeast Da Best Protoss Joined: Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Jill/Sentinel/Vergil

I just want to see some Jill tech really but i do like that team
    @fchampryan
    I have so much game knowledge but nothing counters morrigan... Wtf do we all do?
    UMVC3: Magneto into touch of death.
    edited February 2013
    DJ's post hadn't shown up when I was writing my post otherwise I wouldn't have done mine since we were running towards the same thing.  Since we're changing the rules on the fly, I think it's fair to at least have a day for people to get some teams requested, though.  Otherwise, it's just the 6 of us that were posting team requests when they technically shouldn't have been that get a chance.

It's kind of half and half on the winner picks vs. contibutor's list options.  If there's a cycle where you don't really know any of the characters that well (hell, even on weeks where you only know 2/3 when someone else knows all 3) there's little to no incentive to try since coming up with the 'best' tech is more about character familiarity and chances of getting something impressive out of your lab time is pretty slim. 

I could see having some 'best tech bonus' where they get an extra 2 or 3 slots for their requested team for 2 cycles for coming up with the best as a reward, but anyone that contributes still has a chance of being rewarded for their work, too, just to a lesser degree.
  • p0tat0 5aladp0tat0 5alad I like orange. Joined: Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't read anything

Spencer (slant) / Task (hori) / Skrull (orbital)

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO
    UMvC3 - Spencer/Task/Skrull
    AE - Abel
  • jeeneeusjeeneeus Joined: Posts: 1
    How about if the winner gets like multiple slots in the draw?  Like if there are six teams (including the winner), he gets like three spaces out of now eight (the actual number can be played with of course).

jeeneeus said:
    How about if the winner gets like multiple slots in the draw?  Like if there are six teams (including the winner), he gets like three spaces out of now eight (the actual number can be played with of course).
    That's what I was suggesting.  I think that's a pretty fair option.
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Leader of the Survey Corps Joined: Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're gonna draw for teams in a few days? We should probably post a final time for entries so we can get this thread talking about teams again. Not trying to be rude, I respect that everyone's trying to keep the system fair, it's just right now the system isn't running at all.
    Let the games begin.
    Honestly, I was thinking draw for teams tomorrow, personally.  Seems like if you saw what's going on here within the 24 hours, then you should have a chance to submit a team.
  • Dami SegunDami Segun Joined: Posts: 10
    I think new system is bad. Only motivation for spending time working on tech for random teams was that when you won, people could help you explore characters you care about.
  • The Matrix367The Matrix367 The Matrix has you...! Joined: Posts: 164
    Sorry I am late guys, just found out about this thread.  I am here to share everything I know with Dante/Storm combination since that is my shit(Dante, storm, akuma).  I prefer dante first but hawkeye first isn't too bad either being that u can play a strong keepaway game with whirlwind and jam session.  STORM INFINITE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!!!  Storm infinite isn't hard once u learn is so we are going to assume we have it down pat.  Basically u want to find a way to convert every hit u get into a storm infinite to build fear factor.  This game is about having the fear of getting 1 touch killed.  U have to have that same fear.  I feel u should always go for infinite against characters u can't 1 touch kill.  (I will continue on my phone)
    Admiration is
    the furthest thing
    from understanding!!
    $yndicate for life
    Soo:Fuck columbus ohio strippers!!
  • charlie88charlie88 Devil Survivor is my $Hit....your friendly neighborhood NiGga Joined: Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry it took awhile to post but in regards to the team I suggested I made it a long time ago and saw that Felicias strength at getting hits paired with dorms dhc options made her a 1 touch kill machine that made it dangerous to fight her at anywhere other then SJ height. The stalking flare dhc mixed with her long combos made for a guaranteed kill on anything she touched be it grab command grab or a simple random hit. Not just that but if you wanted you could just build meter and zone with dorm and play a cj ish style rush and mixup game and if all else failed you had mags backing them both with disruptor and as a great anchor. Not to mention you could switch mags and felica based on certain matchups. Sure mags wouldnt have the best assist in the world but he could make it work and deal with the problematic matchups that she cant and also felica can go ham with derp factor in the back if need be.

I do like a lot of the other teams suggested though. I only suggest my team because It give a good balanced approach and felicia to me is under explored and needed some messing around with.
    A wild typical Nigga appeared...... Greninja use Job Application, Committment and Read A Book...... Its super effective..... The Wild Nigga fleed..... Win Quote: I must use the tools the white man has given us to protect our world from coonery and bafoonery
    Ok I am back. Now if u have storm on point and u are fighting a character u can't kill then when u land a hit do her normal jump loop combo(not her lightning attack combo which maximises damage but puts too much hsd) ending in crouching C into elementtal rage then use sux glitch into Dante DT then launch into exchange infinite. That's a one touch kill and worth it to go for always. U get 5 bars and incoming pressure. I like to go to the corner and jump back S(out of grab range) and call jamsession for lockdown. Then I let them fall on my crouching C then jump cancelinstant overhead S mixup. I usually play Dante on point though. Any hit I go into infinite. If I land an air grab with Dante then I otg with twisted devil trigger into a combo leading into an exchange into infinite. These things are a must because u might not get a second chance.
    Admiration is
    the furthest thing
    from understanding!!
    $yndicate for life
  • Mr. PuppyMr. Puppy Joined: Posts: 151 ✭✭
    yo Matrix what do you normally start a round with when you're using dante?  Call Akuma and some sortof Boxdash H either forwards or backwards?
    currently: Magneto/Storm/Dante
    blowing all day in the lab convincing myself that magneto/storm with jam session can push/pull morridoom into setups that has jam session blocking the projectiles.

in the graveyard: Firebrand/Dante/Task, Vergil/Strange/Ammy, Firebrand/Rocket/Dante, Dante/Missiles/Phoenix
    I think new system is bad. Only motivation for spending time working on tech for random teams was that when you won, people could help you explore characters you care about.
    On the other side of the argument, what's the motivation to post if you have a decent little tidbit that leads to something huge, but you know by itself it wouldn't be considered the 'best'?  Or the motivation if 1 or 2 of your characters have been used in the last 2 cycles?  I def. agree the person that gave up the best piece of tech should be rewarded (easy enough to tweak the number so that the winner has a 50% chance of getting their team picked within the next 2 cycles or something, depending on what the thread feels is the best option), but I feel like having a small chance to have your team picked for contributing would pull in more people to the thread.  I don't think this thread will have any real long-term following otherwise.

Honestly, I feel like only rewarding one person when we want this to be a huge group effort is counter to what this is supposed to be.
    Mr. Puppy wrote: »
    yo Matrix what do you normally start a round with when you're using dante?  Call Akuma and some sortof Boxdash H either forwards or backwards?
    I grab with back heavy and tatsu or double jump to the other side and killerbee with tatsu. I also just jump back to create space.

Admiration is
    the furthest thing
    from understanding!!
    $yndicate for life
  • ChrisisChrisis Follows her path Joined: Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I've been gone, some stuff has been going on with me and other than playing with my friends on weekends I've had no time for Marvel. :( Just tell me what things need to be updated to and I'll get on it.
    I'm willing to embrace my confusion with a beautiful grace. I give it structure, love, and help it grow into wisdom and happiness.
  • charlie88charlie88 Devil Survivor is my $Hit....your friendly neighborhood NiGga Joined: Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrisis said:
    Sorry I've been gone, some stuff has been going on with me and other than playing with my friends on weekends I've had no time for Marvel. :( Just tell me what things need to be updated to and I'll get on it.
    Defintely a new team aside from that I do agree with also having a team poll and having a vote on what the next team should be. I also think a nice way to add to the skills of the players is maybe a combo video or how to guide for those people who have different skillsets that aren't necessarily lab monster-ish.

Other then that I don't see much else that can be done other then what has been stated above. The current team does need to change and I don't know if we can just declare a winner because nobody really chimed in on it.
    A wild typical Nigga appeared...... Greninja use Job Application, Committment and Read A Book...... Its super effective..... The Wild Nigga fleed..... Win Quote: I must use the tools the white man has given us to protect our world from coonery and bafoonery
  • Dami SegunDami Segun Joined: Posts: 10
    On the other side of the argument, what's the motivation to post if you have a decent little tidbit that leads to something huge, but you know by itself it wouldn't be considered the 'best'?  Or the motivation if 1 or 2 of your characters have been used in the last 2 cycles?  I def. agree the person that gave up the best piece of tech should be rewarded (easy enough to tweak the number so that the winner has a 50% chance of getting their team picked within the next 2 cycles or something, depending on what the thread feels is the best option), but I feel like having a small chance to have your team picked for contributing would pull in more people to the thread.  I don't think this thread will have any real long-term following otherwise.

Honestly, I feel like only rewarding one person when we want this to be a huge group effort is counter to what this is supposed to be.
    OK then change the rules so that you get 1 spot for contributing and more spots for winning. At the moment people have a chance of their team being picked and they haven't contributed anything which is wrong.
    edited February 2013
    OK then change the rules so that you get 1 spot for contributing and more spots for winning. At the moment people have a chance of their team being picked and they haven't contributed anything which is wrong.
    That sounds like a great middle ground inbetween. This should be what we do.

I feel like we've spent enough time waiting for people to speak up for the next cycle.  DJ, do you want to run another random with the 1 or 2 added team suggestions then we'll start with a clean slate for the next cycle? (I wouldn't feel very comfortable being the one rolling the dice when I have a team on the list...)

I agree that you should have to contribute to get on the list, but last cycle was a bit of a bust so I say run it this time just to get the ball rolling again.  I feel like next cycle should def. only be contibutors and winners.

So going forth from here, people that contribute tech can suggest a team for next cycle (1 per person per cycle) and winner gets there initial 1 + a winner's bonus (an extra 25% chance based on how many people contributed during the cycle?) We can tweak that number if people feel that's too much or too little.  I think having a percentage rather than a set number is fair to avoid diminishing returns when there are more contributors.

Do we want to keep a running list or start a fresh list every week?  I don't think either option would be more work and we'd get more variety by having the running list but I could see there being a risk where someone suggested a team and dropped off after a cycle or two so isn't there to explain the team.  Maybe rather than continuously adding to the list, we just go with the 2 cycle ruling and keep the suggestions/contributions from the last 2 cycles only?

edited February 2013
    Going by what I saw, and taking out the teams that had characters who already were used, we got

Felicia/Dorm/Magneto         1 
    Vergil/Morrigan/Shuma        2
    Felicia/Strange/Akuma        3
    X23/IM/RR                          4
    Jill/Sentinel/Vergil                5
    Thor/ Dormmamu/ Strange   6

Cool, I actually know these characters.  TO THE LAB!

• Helter SkelterHelter Skelter DREAD GOD RED GOD BLACK GOD BLOOD GOD SEX GOD Joined: Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I'm interested in Morrigan/Vergil/Shuma as I use Vergil/Dorm/Shuma, but I'd really like to see a Dorm/Strange team. Probably Ammy/Dorm/Strange, because no one really uses Point Ammy and the DHC/THC synergy seems broken.
    Post edited by Helter Skelter on
    VERGIL•DORMAMMU•DANTE
    MORRIGAN•DORMAMMU•DANTE
    Yeah, I'm just all up for Dorm/Strange, because I've been trying really hard to learn Strange. I've been using Firebrand on point with those two, and it's really fun and dirty. Pretty much any character works really well on point for this team. It could be a cycle where we try to find the best point? I'm thinking Spencer as well, but I've already seen how he can get a bijillion up-grapples from almost any assist.

Are we not running Felicia/Dorm/Mags?
  • Helter SkelterHelter Skelter DREAD GOD RED GOD BLACK GOD BLOOD GOD SEX GOD Joined: Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭
    xx/Dorm/Strange please.
    VERGIL•DORMAMMU•DANTE
    MORRIGAN•DORMAMMU•DANTE
    One quick aside that's been touched on this thread before, the purpose of this thread is to get the community into the lab to do stuff. Sure, as an overall focus, we're trying to get everyone to work on the same team mostly so people can get used to the idea of trying out characters they wouldn't normally try out, but if you really like a team or shell, there's nothing stopping you from working in the lab with it yourself. You don't need the whole thread to be working on it with you. If there's tech to be explored, you should definitely explore it.

That said, the team that the random number generator picked was Felicia/Dorm/Magneto. For this week, I think the thread should focus on working with that until the cycle's done just so we can get the thread back on course.
    That was my team and quite frankly there is some just plain DUMB stuff you can do with this team. Hell just having dorm behind felicia gives her TOD's with the stalking flare extension. 

I still think someone should compile a list of all the videos so at the end of each cycle it can get front paged so everyone can see what we are doing. I think this would get more people involved to do more stuff and it could help with the suggestions. Plus it would look nice. Thats also assuming those who post videos wouldn't mind it being placed in a collaborative video.
    As long as all contributors get credited I can't see why anyone would take issue to that.

@charlie88 : give us an idea of what you' think you're missing atm so we have someplace to start.  Damage/meter/resets shouldn't be any problem with that team.  Dorm/Mags is a retardedly good shell that works well with dark hole and liberation.  Where do you think your teams weaknesses/strengths are so we have something we can shoot to improve.
    Team: Felicia/Dorm/Mags

Goal: land a touch and build meter with felicia while pushing to the corner for a stalking flare dhc extension. If meter is present after you kill the character stalking flare and tag in either felica or mags to mixup or unblockable and repeat the process.

Strengths : very balanced team that can zone or rush but excels moreso at rush. Has ways to setup situations that will lead to full control of the match. Can switch characters around on team as needed to do certain goals and play matchups. 

Weakness: Because the team is very momentum based if you get beat at the beginning it could be the end. 

In short my team can do whatever you need them to do, if you need rush they can do that, if you need to zone they can do that if you need to runaway they can do that. My team also has something to appeal to everyone. Footsies, execution and fundamentals. My team right now is lacking only because of my own inabilities as a player. I am a combo monster but I have no experience with mag up til recently so I am just now learning basic mags stuff. This team sorely needs more setups and probably somebody better then me with felicia to maximize the damage of her bnb so I can kill more characters with the stalking flare dhc.

My team is really great at killing off the grab. Command grabs or regular grabs can often mean the death of a character. Especially with felicia. My main thing right now is attempting to get as much milage out of kitty helper and stalking flare. Also I am going to be experimenting with using rolling buckler assist for unblockables. 

So yea my team is good but I am at an intermediate level with the team overall. I seem to have hit a wall mostly because I can only go into training mode and play online. So if anyone could test my team out against people offline I would appreciate it. The theory is there it just needs some tweeking and some smart players (you guys) to help out with that.

Honestly, you don't even have to tag after the DHC.  The Dorm/Mags CJ-esque incoming teleport mixup is some of the dirtiest shit in the game and may as well be an unblockable on it's own.

Combo-wise, what extensions do you have with the three characters on point backed with the other 2?
  • CiscoCisco better than you Joined: Posts: 3,351
    Oh and cisco is banned from this thread.
    No i'm not. The thread needs me because i set things in reality order not creative order. I don't talk if my shit can't be proven but sadly it can, deniars. 
    The Greatest Poster of Shoryuken - Undefeated in Religion threads
    Honestly, you don't even have to tag after the DHC.  The Dorm/Mags CJ-esque incoming teleport mixup is some of the dirtiest shit in the game and may as well be an unblockable on it's own.

Combo-wise, what extensions do you have with the three characters on point backed with the other 2?
    To a degree I agree with you on that but I feel like in those situations, felicias rushdown/mixup resets are more potent then anything dorm has. Mostly because of dorm, if he has charges he can rain meteors which mean the teams will eat felicia command grabs into deathcombo for free and with stalking flare she gets unblockables, guard breaks and left right mixups which is way more then dorm has on incoming.

I really don't have many combos for Dorm and Mags other then the basic bnb's. To be honest I mostly play a lame style of Dorm when felicia dies and I really don't like the assist mags and felicia bring to the table to help with Dorms combo extensions. And as I said before I am new to mags so I am just now trying to learn the hypergrav loops. 
  • NonSexualRiceNonSexualRice Hey Fatty Boom Boom, Hit Me with the Ching Ching Joined: Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This site is so ugly holy crap. When is it getting fixed again?

EviltoasterofFP on Dangs arthur win

"Save the last lance" 

LOL. 
    BB: valkenhayn/Carl
    SG: Fortune/Eliza (hype train)/Valentine
  • The UltimatorThe Ultimator I fight for my friends. Joined: Posts: 1,977
    oh gosh who invited Cisco to this thread
    XBL: The Ultimator25
    Retired from UMvC3 – at least for now.
    SSBM & Project M – Mains: Ike, Marth
    Chrom or Lucina for Smash 4!
    edited February 2013
    Dorm can really use both Felicia and Mag to extend combos, and go for mixups, maybe unblockables with the right timing. Felicia's ground bounce assist adds a new level of comboability, cause I'm pretty sure it connects after flame carpet otg's, and if you're in the corner that means more damage. The flame carpet disrupta extension is pretty tight timing-wise, I wouldn't recommend going for it. Also, this team could be pretty dirty with Mag on point with either Felicia's low hitting or overhead assist. Felicia anchor can be a bit insane with her kitty helper in the right places.
    Post edited by SB Maximus on

Leave the bashing, and downtalk coonery and bafoonery in the TIER THREAD. Don't bring that shit here we have enough of that crap on SRK and we don't need more of the threads infected with that garbage. 

If you come to this thread talk about the things relevent to the thread, leave any of that other beef out of here.
    edited February 2013
    Dorm + EMD is one of the best teleport mixup combos in the game.  I'm pretty sure he can only relaunch with it in the corner, though.  I imagine a blockstring into dark hole + rolling buckler into SJ Tri-dash fishhook would be some annoying shit to deal with.  It's an ambiguous crossup on it's own, no reason why you shouldn't be making it worse, lol.

On the incoming, you should have time to charge before incoming so all you have to do is go for the teleport mixup, if that doesn't work, blockstring into meteors > hard-tag into command grab rape.  Being able to do stalking flare > kitty helper sounds hilarious too, though.

In the corner, apparently Felicia can get 3 jump loops off throws if she is within range to hit them before they actually touch the ground (according to 645.)  Don't know if that applies to command grabs, but his game is mostly built around air throws anyways.
    I have abused the meteor into command grab setup so many times its just stupid how hard it is to escape it 
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Leader of the Survey Corps Joined: Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the setup you're talking about? Meteors assist isn't a true blockstring and you grab halfway through? 
    Let the games begin.
    I call meteors 2c1D and then raw tag to felicia while they are still getting by the meteors and at the last possible frame I command grab them. It also helps that the meteors hits so randomly that sometimes they hold block longer then they have too. I have gotten the timing down to where I grab them right as they come out of block stun. I will mix it up sometimes with toy touch JC into air throw so its hard to block.