Skullgirls Nominated for 8th Slot at EVO

Comments

• Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    I would have legit been okay with Smash or MLP winning because they were fighting for it the whole time. Said what I needed to, call it whatever you want.

Yeah sorry you sound like a salty little shit.

Any game that ponies up the money deserves to be there.

And all of you disrespecting Super Turbo get a smack in the back of the head if I see you irl.

:D
  • zferoliezferolie Hello Nurse! Joined: Posts: 1,406
    If you want 'Skullgirls' to have a long history ahead of it, you need to go to tourneys and stuff anyway.

Besides, you don't have to be good to have fun at a tournament or a weekly - I prove that on a regular basis.

And, also, going to tournaments and stuff will help you get good.

Basically, just go! :)

Yeah, I should. I went to a few close to me, but stopped due to a bunch of work, life, and other issues. Time should start to free up for me at the end of march.
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Hey Guitalex, pretty sure this is whining too!
    Are you going to do that with every post AFTER I said there wasn't that much whining?

Because it doesn't quite work that way.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
  • zferoliezferolie Hello Nurse! Joined: Posts: 1,406
    "I don't go to tournaments because I am not good.

I am not good because I don't go to tournaments."

Seriously dude, no one cares how good you are, just go and hang out and play some video games.

Haha, you make it sound as simple as it is. I guess I just get self concious :p

And all of you disrespecting Super Turbo get a smack in the back of the head if I see you irl.

:D

I just want to say I'm not disrespecting it, if it comes off that way. I just don't think it will be as popular on the stage as other games. If it gets in, I say good job, and will congratulate the supporters of it.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    that ponies up
    Noggit off
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    ...Eh........

Let's just say it as "any game that ponies up the money will get to be there as per the rules of this competition", yes? Because deserve sounds very much like an opinion, whereas this quote sounds like fact regardless of anyone's feelings or preference.

I mean I could say SG deserves to be in EVO because it was designed for tournaments and it's fun and it keeps you honest, etc. but that is simply my opinion, and to someone who plays another game (like Melee) that may sound like complete bullshit, and arguments ensue.

Let's keep the opinions to ourselves (and our heads out of our asses) at least until tomorrow. Sound good?
  • CloneHatCloneHat Joined: Posts: 8
    hopefully ST takes it
    Like I thought, some people don't care about what they donate to and just go with the winning side. As long as it's a "real fighting game", right?
    It's great to see that most of the community is so loyal to their game, though. That's what it takes!
    Like I thought, some people don't care about what they donate to and just go with the winning side. As long as it's a "real fighting game", right?
    It's great to see that most of the community is so loyal to their game, though. That's what it takes!
    Don't know about "most of the community".

To be honest, I'd rather see CvS2 than ST, but ST has a dedicated following, much like both our communities. They just hadn't put up any money until now.

And if you want to be a martyr, go right ahead. I'll be donating some money now while you do that.
  • ZidianeZidiane HyperCharging YOLO STAR Joined: Posts: 1,222
    How can I be salty if neither us nor Smash has lost yet?
    xbl/psn: Zidiane/zidiane5
    Skullgirls: Cerebella, SSB Melee: Kirby, Samus
    Ever wonder how to play Cerebella, of Skullgirls fame? Here's a guide I made!
  • RekanoRekano ONE MORE ONCE Joined: Posts: 602
    I'm personally waiting for Evo to finally go the distance and hold a chili cook off.
    -Rekano OuTz
    "Chris Hansen can't stop them titties."-Geese Pants
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    Noggit off

kekekekeke

...Eh........

Let's just say it as "any game that ponies up the money will get to be there as per the rules of this competition", yes? Because deserve sounds very much like an opinion, whereas this quote sounds like fact regardless of anyone's feelings or preference.

I mean I could say SG deserves to be in EVO because it was designed for tournaments and it's fun and it keeps you honest, etc. but that is simply my opinion, and to someone who plays another game (like Melee) that may sound like complete bullshit, and arguments ensue.

Let's keep the opinions to ourselves (and our heads out of our asses) at least until tomorrow. Sound good?

No.

If you donate the most your game deserves to be there. That's how this goes.

Deal with it, there's like 19 hours left spanky.
    How can I be salty if neither us nor Smash has lost yet?

By typing what you did beforehand obviously?

All I could were the rest of the stray cats in the neighborhood joining in.
  • samurai bebopsamurai bebop Joined: Posts: 229
    I really like Skullgirls but, I just love ST. I'm so conflicted.
    @commanderpepper on Twitter.
  • Possibly DohnutPossibly Dohnut Joined: Posts: 68
    ABAP!!! *ahem* Yeah, I lurve SG played some ST recently and it's fun as hell, and I've seen some Melee and it looks pretty cool. (only have played Smash 64)
    XBL: Dohnut Man Trav
    No.

If you donate the most your game deserves to be there. That's how this goes.

Deal with it, there's like 19 hours left spanky.
    No.

If you donate the most, your game will be there.

Big difference. Or should I remind you of the time before the rule change, where MLP would've gathered enough money from trolls to crush everyone else? If MLP raised enough, it would've been there. Does MLP deserve to be in EVO in its incomplete state more than SG, Melee or ST?
  • ZidianeZidiane HyperCharging YOLO STAR Joined: Posts: 1,222
    By typing what you did beforehand obviously?
    I thought that being salty meant being unreasonably upset or mad at a loss?
    xbl/psn: Zidiane/zidiane5
    Skullgirls: Cerebella, SSB Melee: Kirby, Samus
    Ever wonder how to play Cerebella, of Skullgirls fame? Here's a guide I made!
  • ZebsterZebster Joined: Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    SO, is the stream for Salty Cupcakes going to have a countdown timer so no one is confused by which timezone the deadline is set to?
    3DS Friend Code: 1392-4119-7524 3DS name: Zebster Pokemon X in game name: Zebia
  • konkretekonkrete NCV Joined: Posts: 2,376
    If you plan on donating at the very last minute I would advise doing so 15-30 minutes before the deadline, as the chances of the site crashing 5 minutes before are pretty good.
  • DrinkingFoodDrinkingFood Every day i'm SHFFLin' Joined: Posts: 32
    No donate at 12:01 feb 1st
    rumor has it Mr Wizard is matching donations then
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 421
    If you plan on donating at the very last minute I would advise doing so 15-30 minutes before the deadline, as the chances of the site crashing 5 minutes before are pretty good.
    But if you donate 15 minutes ahead, then the guy who donates 14 minutes ahead know how much he has to match. So it's a risk-reward balance.

EDIT: I'm going to lol if WePay closes donations like 5 minutes early/late. The salt will be endless.
    SFIV: Sakura (Juri?) | Skullgirls: Fortune/Bella | LB2: Yuki
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,336 ✭✭
    Goddamnit just donate.

It may soon be your girlfriend, or mom, or aunt, or friend, or sister who has breast cancer.

Be a real fucking shame you missed giving the donation 50 dollars because you wanted to be competitive about it.
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
    No.

Big difference. Or should I remind you of the time before the rule change, where MLP would've gathered enough money from trolls to crush everyone else? If MLP raised enough, it would've been there. Does MLP deserve to be in EVO in its incomplete state more than SG, Melee or ST?
    You need to look up what "deserve" means because yes, if [any game] raised more money than everyone else, as per the rules, deserves the 8th spot because that is the reward.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • Gamegenie222Gamegenie222 Joined: Posts: 124
    Damn you SG cats better win this and this is a ex smash player saying this. I love melee and ST is the O.G of all FG's but seriously we dont need EVO with half of it's games being Capcom games LSBH. I'll be outta here and watch this soap drama called The Salty and the Childish from here on out when I get to school later.
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭✭
    No.

Yo so the other high school's team scored more points and stopped us from scoring... but they totally don't deserve to win. We wanted it more.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Yo so the other high school's team scored more points and stopped us from scoring... but they totally don't deserve to win. We wanted it more.

Let's whine in the locker room after the game about how we didn't have the same training facilities that the other team had! That's sure to change the state of things!
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
  • girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    if ST wins y'all should play ST.
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 421
    if ST wins y'all should play ST.
    Only on the condition that you play SG or Melee if that wins instead.
    SFIV: Sakura (Juri?) | Skullgirls: Fortune/Bella | LB2: Yuki
    Only on the condition that you play SG or Melee if that wins instead.

I am a pretty active SG player ;)
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    I'm going to have to agree with Alex here who is really just echoing what Mike said right after this donation thing was revealed. Just because a community has more disposable income doesn't mean they deserve an EVO spot as evidenced by the rule change when it looked like MLP was going to win. IMO all three of these games deserved EVO spots over pretty much every game of the 7 that didn't have to go through this bidding war nonsense.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
    Girlstyle already play SG.

And Girlstyle wants none of my N DeeJay.
  • gluemchengluemchen Joined: Posts: 121
    Anyone know what this is all about on @Chindogg21 twitter? I don`t understand half of whats going on right now.
    Steam ID(gluemchen)/GFWL(gluemchen): SSFIV AE 2012, SFxT
    PSN(gluemchen): Skullgirls
    Region: Europe(Germany)
    Skill: Bad/Mediorcre
    I'm going to have to agree with Alex here. Just because a community has more disposable income doesn't mean they deserve an EVO as evidenced by the rule change when it looked like MLP was going to win.

once again though, you nor anyone else can really define what 'deserves' mean.

ST sure as fuck deserves it, because its an amazing game.

Melee deserves it, look how hard they are working as a community to pull this thing together (I don't play it, so no comment)

SG deserves it because it would really mean a lot for the games future and it is also serious business.

Alex is just mad salty right now.

MLP went out for different reasons, and still were given incentive to donate and win via their exhibition with a large prize purse
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    You need to look up what "deserve" means because yes, if [any game] raised more money than everyone else, as per the rules, deserves the 8th spot because that is the reward.

Let's whine in the locker room after the game about how we didn't have the same training facilities that the other team had! That's sure to change the state of things!
    You know what? Yall are right. As per the rules whoever raises the most money "deserves" to win. However, that doesnt make those rules any less BS. As opposed to a measure of community support or a games value to the fgc, the EVO spot is based on who has deeper pockets (i.e. whoever has better training equipment). And truth be told, it's literally impossible for everyone to be able to drop bills like that without ridiculous amounts of inflation. As hard as people work, not all can to the top. In fact working the hardest doesnt even result in being the most wealthy or successful -you may simply be working for someone else who just happens to have more money. So much comes down to luck or chance or divine intervention, etc.

So, yeah. The rulings are fair, but the actual rules are not and dont actually say anything about the communities.

Long story short: Whoever wins "deserves" to win a spot based on the rules, but Skullgirls deserves to win a spot based on what it actually is (the other may as well). But hey, dems da breaks. Perhaps SG will be like 3S. Regected in it's prime, but appreciated by the matured audience later on.

EDIT: I know that value is subjective, but a fundraiser is a pretty crappy way to gain objective information
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
    Girlstyle already play SG.

And Girlstyle wants none of my N DeeJay.

Your mind really can't quantify how hard I would body you in ST.

This is a pointless discussion.
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    I wasn't done editing >: (
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    snip

I really hope you don't consider this SG's prime. Game has been out less than a year and the first year has been hella rough.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
    You know what? Yall are right. As per the rules whoever raises the most money "deserves" to win. However, that doesnt make those rules any less BS. As opposed to a measure of community support or a games value to the fgc, the EVO spot is based on who has deeper pockets (i.e. whoever has better training equipment). And truth be told, it's literally impossible for everyone to be able to drop bills like that without ridiculous amounts of inflation. As hard as people work, not all can to the top. In fact working the hardest doesnt even result in being the most wealthy or successful -you may simply be working for someone else who just happens to have more money. So much comes down to luck or chance or divine intervention, etc.

So, yeah. The rulings are fair, but the actual rules are not and dont actually say anything about the communities.

Long story short: Whoever wins "deserves" to win a spot based on the rules, but Skullgirls deserves to win a spot based on what it actually is. But hey, dems da breaks. Perhaps SG will be like 3S. Regected in it's prime, but appreciated by the matured audience later on.

ST and Melee aren't fighting games? ST and Melee don't have community support out that yahoo?

People get upset over the term 'deserve' because you people are just blinded with bias. Any community could come up with a million reasons why they 'deserve' to be an evo game.
    So you'd rather the rules change to conditions Skullgirls would lose more easily?
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    Next EVO, they should do this again except instead of donations, it's winner of an American Gladiators event.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    Next EVO, they should do this again except instead of donations, it's winner of an American Gladiators event.

Mike has been looking pretty buff lately.
  • QohelethQoheleth Absolute Beginner Joined: Posts: 45
    I think talking about who "deserves" to win is a red herring - a distraction. There's a million different cost models, and they'll give you a million different answers.

I think Skullgirls needs this significantly more than ST needs it, and somewhat more than Smash needs it. I think Skullgirls has more to gain from an official Evo slot.

So regardless of red herrings like "deserving", that's the goal, and we need to figure out how to get there.

A lot of you have already drained yourselves dry, and that's okay. Show up and help spread the word. For those of you with something left to give, I'm not gonna say "give it", but think carefully about what winning this contest is worth to you, and if you find it in your heart to contribute, well... every penny counts.

Let's do the best we can.
    Twenty years from now, fifty, a hundred, nobody will remember what games we played, or who won or lost.
    But that's okay.
    Ain't nothing under the sun that lives forever.
    HebelHebelim on Twitch and PSN
    ST and Melee aren't fighting games? ST and Melee don't have community support out that yahoo?

People get upset over the term 'deserve' because you people are just blinded with bias. Any community could come up with a million reasons why they 'deserve' to be an evo game.
    ...I edited my post a few minutes before you typed that, because I figured people would misunderstand what I was writing. It was only the last few sentences, so just review that.

EDIT(double post):
    I really hope you don't consider this SG's prime. Game has been out less than a year and the first year has been hella rough.
    by prime I meant youth. I suppose it was the wrong choice of words. I apologize for any confusion/offense.
    I think talking about who "deserves" to win is a red herring - a distraction. There's a million different cost models, and they'll give you a million different answers.

I think Skullgirls needs this significantly more than ST needs it, and somewhat more than Smash needs it. I think Skullgirls has more to gain from an official Evo slot.

So regardless of red herrings like "deserving", that's the goal, and we need to figure out how to get there.

A lot of you have already drained yourselves dry, and that's okay. Show up and help spread the word. For those of you with something left to give, I'm not gonna say "give it", but think carefully about what winning this contest is worth to you, and if you find it in your heart to contribute, well... every penny counts.

Let's do the best we can.

I like that view a bit better. In some aspect I suppose they all deserves it.....to varying degrees. But if we go by needs, then SG def needs it more. A lil indie game that could vs two game with confirmed or inevitable sequels and over 20 years of combined community support...

and Skullgirls is keeping up with these Mofos even with the BS contest rules.
  • POS IndustriesPOS Industries As seen on TV! Joined: Posts: 42
    "Need" is kind of hard to quantify here. I think SG stands to benefit more, but aside from THE HYPEST STREAM YOU'LL EVER FUCKING SEE there's very little that having SG as a main stage tournament can do for us that we can't do for ourselves, or that we won't still have to do for ourselves regardless. We need to get communities outside SoCal. We need to organize tournaments. We need to do a lot of things that are really, really hard that just being at Evo won't accomplish for us, but we can still do if we buckle down and make it happen. All Evo will do is maybe get more people interested in playing the game in general, but I don't really think it's ever done that to any significant degree for any other game.

Evo is a shining moment in the sun, but not much more than that. We need to already be thinking beyond it, regardless if we win or lose.
    I'm really hoping Chibi or someone pops off because I'm tired of reading this bullshit some of you post.

Earn what you need instead of whining about not being given it by EVO.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    Guys.

Black and white.

The only reason you folks think SG 'needs' it or 'deserves' it more then other games is because it is the game you play.

As I mentioned before, the other communities could probably come up with 1000 reasons why their games need or deserve it.
    ...I edited my post a few minutes before you typed that, because I figured people would misunderstand what I was writing. It was only the last few sentences, so just review that.

I didn't misunderstand what you were writing, and your edit pretty much just contradicts what you said in the post.

I do agree with that a fundraiser is a silly way to gain objective info, but I don't think that's the point.

This fundrasier has been awesome for us and our community, as long as we always put a positive spin on it.
    Its gained us much exposure and probably some new players as well, and really brought out our spirit.
    \
    Guys.

I didn't misunderstand what you were writing, and your edit pretty much just contradicts what you said in the post.

How so?
    I'm honestly asking. I dont see contradictory info.

1st paragraph explains why I think basing the spot on money is dumb. It also explains my view on work ethic and luck (hard work doesnt necessarily get you far + luck is freaking random)

The sentence after is pretty straight forward.

In the miniparagraph (with edits) I restated the sentence above it and stated that SG deserved the spot because its a good fighting game and then even said that the others may as well; I never said the other games didnt deserve a spot, I was just saying they they shouldnt get a spot based solely on money.
  • teleportinturtleteleportinturtle prepare for all contingencies Joined: Posts: 13
    Yeah I'll play ST. Heck, I'll play Vanguard Princess, Sonic Fighters, or even Halo if they put it up. I'm just not going to pretend I'm going to wreck it (unless it's Smash, in which case I may). The point is I'm coming to see you guys; I could play all of this stuff at home, but it's not the same without the peeps.

Also, disputes about fighting games should be settled with fighting games. If they decide to do a wild card next year, maybe they'll do the reasonable thing and have each group send a team of 5 to an undisclosed location and have them play 50 consecutive Swiss rounds of the most pristine and balanced fighter ever: Shaq-Fu. Maybe then people would think twice about saying what they deserve. In all seriousness though, representatives and an agreed game. At least then we would have traditional salt. This new brand is causing way too many heart attacks.
    Your mind really can't quantify how hard I would body you in ST.

This is a pointless discussion.
    It's okay to block out the painful embarrassment, but don't sleep on the boy.
  • nekro_surgenekro_surge Mad Filthy Undead Joined: Posts: 85
    What time does the donation site close down????? East time? Pacific time?? i need to know!!!!
    psn... nekro_surge

I play skullgirls brah!!!
  • POS IndustriesPOS Industries As seen on TV! Joined: Posts: 42
    If they decide to do a wild card next year, maybe they'll do the reasonable thing and have each group send a team of 5 to an undisclosed location and have them play 50 consecutive Swiss rounds of the most pristine and balanced fighter ever: Shaq-Fu.
    Brother, Shaq Fu ain't got shit on Survival Arts.
  • RoustaneRoustane Kage the Warrior Joined: Posts: 37
    Let's go SG! You guys haven't moved yesterday at all! What's going on? The gap is almost 8k now and the spirit bomb hasnt even started yet!
This discussion has been closed.