Skullgirls Nominated for 8th Slot at EVO

1414243444547»

Comments

• KawalornKawalorn Joined: Posts: 70
    Well I wish Skullgirls good luck on the FINAL BATTLE OF LIGHT AND DARKNESS... or whatever it will end up o be.

I'll be going to sleep, so try not to wake me up with your excited/dissapointed screams when it all ends because I have exams tomorrow. :P Somehow I don't doubt that it will be hearable even in easter europe. G'night mates.
  • DoshingtonDoshington Joined: Posts: 82
    Let's go SG! You guys haven't moved yesterday at all! What's going on? The gap is almost 8k now and the spirit bomb hasnt even started yet!

It's the complete opposite of melee (increasing the gap as much as possible before the last day, from what I've read). SG's going to have a pretty big boost near the end- the mystery is how much? :P
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 409
    What time does the donation site close down????? East time? Pacific time?? i need to know!!!!
    Competition rules state midnight PST, so I assume WePay would use the same time.
    SFIV: Sakura (Ibuki) | Skullgirls: Fortune, Bella | LB2: Yuki
  • GorlokGorlok Joined: Posts: 307
    I like how the current standings arent on the OP or anywhere to be found .
  • teleportinturtleteleportinturtle prepare for all contingencies Joined: Posts: 13
    At this point, there's only three things that'd make me flip out (in increasing order):
    1) Bronies contribute a metric ton of money to one of the top 3
    2) Divekick rockets into contention
    3) The Xbox patch for Skullgirls goes live during Salty Cupcakes

If two or more happen before tonight ends, everyday existence is going to look pretty drab.
  • Shawn_PShawn_P "Fear not the men in red" Joined: Posts: 85
    What time does the donation site close down????? East time? Pacific time?? i need to know!!!!

2:59:59am est, 11:59:59pm pst.
  • ImposabearImposabear Joined: Posts: 25
    More like
    At this point, there's only three things that'd make me flip out (in increasing order):

If two or more happen before tonight ends, everyday existence is going to look pretty drab.

Or every ones heads just blow up. XD
  • Overlord_HazeOverlord_Haze More machine now than man, twisted and evil. Joined: Posts: 43
    Ladies and Gentlemen (?) we have made it to $30,000.

Go now, my foolish children, (shaved head) Mike Z will be proud.
  • zferoliezferolie Hello Nurse! Joined: Posts: 1,406

... I'm sorry, but if dive kick wins... I will go flip 50 tables. I don't get the idea of dive kick, or why is it so damn popular. It seems like something I would see on RObot Chicken or Saturday night live rather then a real game.
  • DoshingtonDoshington Joined: Posts: 82
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 409

Here be proof:
    30k.jpg
    SFIV: Sakura (Ibuki) | Skullgirls: Fortune, Bella | LB2: Yuki
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,720 mod

I just texted Mike Z the news. I'm eager to see his reaction. :)
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• DanxDanx XD@U Joined: Posts: 471
    Guys.

Black and white.

The only reason you folks think SG 'needs' it or 'deserves' it more then other games is because it is the game you play.

As I mentioned before, the other communities could probably come up with 1000 reasons why their games need or deserve it.

I didn't misunderstand what you were writing, and your edit pretty much just contradicts what you said in the post.

I do agree with that a fundraiser is a silly way to gain objective info, but I don't think that's the point.

This fundrasier has been awesome for us and our community, as long as we always put a positive spin on it.
    Its gained us much exposure and probably some new players as well, and really brought out our spirit.

I think we can all agree ST is the last game that deserves exposure cause ya know...its had the last 20 years to do that and with huge success.
  • LayZLayZ "Sixteen is barely ok." Joined: Posts: 78
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    No.

If you donate the most, your game will be there.

Big difference. Or should I remind you of the time before the rule change, where MLP would've gathered enough money from trolls to crush everyone else? If MLP raised enough, it would've been there. Does MLP deserve to be in EVO in its incomplete state more than SG, Melee or ST?

Yes, it does you salty little shit.

If MLP donated $100,000 on its own (which it could do easily) then it would have deserved to be in Evolution. If they out-donated everyone it would deserve to get into Evolution.

What if some random shithead throw down $70k for Melty Blood tonight, are you going to sit there and moan and whine about semantics or start morally evaluating the current stature of each game's scene and community?

No, you're going to have to fucking deal with it. If you didn't like the rules you should have never participated to begin with. Go walk up to the ST guys and tell them they don't deserve to be in Evo even though they donated the most.

At this point if we don't get in to Evolution I know like 80% of the people in this thread will disappear. There will be a fantastic side tournament at Evolution. We will continue to hold tournaments where we can. Our REAL problem is the outer layer of the FGC as a whole, and it's lack of an attention span or necessity to chase the new trend or flavor of the month and then dip back into what's par for the course. What we REALLY NEED isn't Evolution, but this community to understand that we'll be in this for the long run, and that with patience, time, dedication, motivation, passion, and love will we end up making the best of all of this.

And at the very least we'll be known as that little game that gave a 13 year old community and it's a game a run for its money when donating to charity.

I just hope no one enters this thread or otherwise because it'll just tarnish that shit entirely.

Fuckin' A.
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,336 ✭✭
    We all need ANOTHER breather from this thread.

How about we reconvene at 8:00 PST?
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
  • DarkBlade77DarkBlade77 Joined: Posts: 203

If MLP donated $100,000 on its own (which it could do easily) then it would have deserved to be in Evolution. If they out-donated everyone it would deserve to get into Evolution.

Yeah, let's be serious here. Who decides if an Evo game is Evo-worthy in any meaningful way? The Cannon bros and Mr.Wizard. If there was some abstract degree of 'worthiness', they get to pick what that is. And currently, they picked 'who donates the most $$$ to breast cancer research' as the metric.

Full stop.

You are free to not like it and feel that you have a better definition of what game is 'Evo-worthy', but their definition is the one that decides whether games actually participate in Evo.
    Darkblade, you missed Chibi's point.

Just saying before this shit gets stupid(er).
  • JakeWasHereJakeWasHere FGC N3wb Joined: Posts: 296
    May I just interject for a moment to say that "One more once" has officially been run into the fucking ground?
  • KristophKristoph sing my lullaby Joined: Posts: 425

What if some random shithead throw down $70k for Melty Blood tonight, are you going to sit there and moan and whine about semantics or start morally evaluating the current stature of each game's scene and community?

No, you're going to have to fucking deal with it. If you didn't like the rules you should have never participated to begin with. Go walk up to the ST guys and tell them they don't deserve to be in Evo even though they donated the most.
    This is just wrong though. What if we had a corrupt government that decided elections by "whoever donates the most money"? Predictably, a handful of billionaires would decide every election. So if I decided to donate for my candidate of choice, suddenly I'm not allowed to complain about how wrong the decisionmaking process is? It doesn't work that way.

By the way, Guitalex has been complaining about the nature of this contest from the beginning, even when Skullgirls was in the lead. There's absolutely no "sour grapes" going on here, it's just Guitalex making a serious assessment of the rules of the contest. Maybe show some respect.

The rest of your post is good though, as per usual.
    skullheart.com for skullgirls stuff
    A break from this thread isn't a bad idea, but I plan on nuking it into the fucking ground tomorrow morning, so let's just (not) enjoy it whine it's around a little longer.
    May I just interject for a moment to say that "One more once" has officially been run into the fucking ground?
    Count Basie never gets old, and fie on you for even insinuating that it does...
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• DarkBlade77DarkBlade77 Joined: Posts: 203
    Darkblade, you missed Chibi's point.

Just saying before this shit gets stupid(er).

Maybe, I just read something really banal a few minutes prior so maybe my blinders are on.

I'll take your advice and peace out.
    A break from this thread isn't a bad idea, but I plan on nuking it into the fucking ground tomorrow morning, so let's just (not) enjoy it whine it's around a little longer.

Count Basie never gets old, and fie on you for even insinuating that it does...
    Does that mean I can just troll it?

Yo, how many of you weeaboos paid 10 for official art from Persona, then another 10 for the topless set?

I know Alexis was called out on asking for a Fortune pic with some head action.
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686

No, you're going to have to fucking deal with it. If you didn't like the rules you should have never participated to begin with.

What we REALLY NEED isn't Evolution, but this community to understand that we'll be in this for the long run, and that with patience, time, dedication, motivation, passion, and love will we end up making the best of all of this.

Fuckin' A.

gg whiners.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
  • PizzarinoPizzarino Pikachu gave his life for science Joined: Posts: 420
    I'd say that SSBM and ST have more "real" reasons to be an official Evo tournament. For the organizers, SSBM would bring in the most entree fees from people that would not otherwise go to the event. For the spectators, ST can be understood by everyone who has played ANY SF game, can have rather explosive and one-sided upsets at the highest levels of competition, and is generally extremely fast paced and entertaining to watch.

SG has... my donation money. I want to believe?
    SRK Skullgirls Wiki: Do it for the children
    Does that mean I can just troll it?
    Hell no.

Mike Z still hasn't replied to my text. He must be wearing sackcloth and pouring ashes over his head in lamentation over his hair.

edit: He's shaving it! :P

• akuaku ☆ねぇ!☆ Joined: Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭
    This is just wrong though. What if we had a corrupt government that decided elections by "whoever donates the most money"? Predictably, a handful of billionaires would decide every election. So if I decided to donate for my candidate of choice, suddenly I'm not allowed to complain about how wrong the decisionmaking process is? It doesn't work that way.

Okay, then would you rather they go though voting? Popularity contest? Either way, the results here are most likely going to end up the same, and somebody is STILL going to cry and claim cheating or dirty tactics.

It shouldn't matter though, at the very least the Skullgirls scene are making themselves get heard and are willing to support this game. No matter what, these guys are making their presence known. When this is all over, it's really up to them to decide how they want to handle things, be it winning or losing.
  • BlandaidBlandaid Joined: Posts: 56

I never quite understood what that phrase meant anyway. Could anybody elaborate?

Anyway, arguing about which game deserves the spot will get y'all nowhere. The rules are set and all that's left to do is ride it out and see who comes out on top. If you so strongly dislike how this competition is being held, PM Mr. Wizard or something. Let the staff know that if they'd like to try something similar next year, it ought to include some restrictions (blind pots/$500 max per person/whatever).

The fact that this competition has raised over 100k for breast cancer research is fucking astounding. There's absolutely nothing to be salty about, Hell, its not even over yet. I personally only hope that any future fundraisers of this sort show more interest in accurately mapping community support as opposed to milking every cent it can.
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,022
    Really?

I haven't said anything salty in 10 fucking pages. I've moved on. I suggest you do the same. I'm not fucking Oil R. I'm not sitting here going to take your shit and wonder why you're mad at me, because I know there's NO REASON.

Now, all I am saying is that DESERVING is subjective. WINNING is objective. Not the same thing. That's literally all I was saying. Can't give two shits ST or Melee are winning, because it has zero to do with it. The word DESERVES will always strike a nerve. ESPECIALLY in this case.

If you want to see whining from a losing game, you won't get it from me, so look elsewhere.
    By the way, Guitalex has been complaining about the nature of this contest from the beginning, even when Skullgirls was in the lead. There's absolutely no "sour grapes" going on here, it's just Guitalex making a serious assessment of the rules of the contest. Maybe show some respect.
    Ah, someone who reads on the internet. A rare gem.

edit: I censored myself after regaining control of my blood pressure.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
  • _Zac__Zac_ Joined: Posts: 17
    I'd say that SSBM and ST have more "real" reasons to be an official Evo tournament. For the organizers, SSBM would bring in the most entree fees from people that would not otherwise go to the event. For the spectators, ST can be understood by everyone who has played ANY SF game, can have rather explosive and one-sided upsets at the highest levels of competition, and is generally extremely fast paced and entertaining to watch.

SG has... my donation money. I want to believe?
    Didn't SG have one of the largest side tourneys? I think SG proved that it'll bring in people.
    Did someone just steal my bit?

Like, you don't steal someone's bit.
  • Sanger ZonvoltSanger Zonvolt Future Cyberbots Pro Joined: Posts: 1,528
    Based Vsav gods come in and snipe the fuck out of ST.

Hit em with dat cool hunting.
    Yes, Vsav in place of SG would be perfectly fine.
    Sword of Sophia and fightan games
    Cyberbots: Super-8 & Helion
    Vampire Savior: Lilith, Jedah, and Demitri
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Filia/Squigly
  • KhaosMuffinsKhaosMuffins Bushido Brown Joined: Posts: 61
    So here's some news: https://twitter.com/ProtomCannon/status/297103451144482816

Also, if Skullgirls doesn't make it to EVO, then just work towards making awesome side tournaments/videos/streams/whatever that will get attention and bring in more players. If we can donate so much money in an attempt to get our game into EVO, then we should be able to do at least these things.
    "I'm looking for more moe."

Skullgirls: Ms. Fortune - P4U: Akihiko - Guilty Gear: Jam
    XBL: KhaosMuffins, Twitter: @KhaosMuffins
    Ya know this talk of what constitutes a evo worthy game is pointless because clearly it all depends on how much money a publisher puts in the organizers wallet....I mean wasn't there a sponsor a few years back who pulled sponsorship from evo cause wiz and company were pocketing funds?
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭
    It still amazes me... the people that think ST should win, or would be okay with it winning, but no one gave a fuck until someone dropped 30k... Just look at the ST discussion on the matter, like three posts before the money dropped.

Jealous much?
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!

Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
    That's kinda weird. What is the deal with the review of the ST donations? Anyone know what the claim is?

That would make me flip out too. I would just turn on my damn unused Xbox.
  • wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 460

This part of that comment wasn't needed
    Really?

I haven't said anything salty in 10 fucking pages. I've moved on. I suggest you do the same. I'm not fucking Oil R. I'm not sitting here going to take your shit and wonder why you're mad at me, because I know there's NO REASON.

Now, all I am saying is that DESERVING is subjective. WINNING is objective. Not the same thing. That's literally all I was saying. Can't give two shits ST or Melee are winning, because it has zero to do with it. The word DESERVES will always strike a nerve. ESPECIALLY in this case.

edit: I censored myself after regaining control of my blood pressure.

On the method used for the top EVO spot, if it weren't for this competitive donation drive none of the communities would have mobilized to do things like holding training sessions with experienced players, like you did on stream (it was immensely helpful) or like smash did for their fundraisers. The constantly changing 8th game scoreboard and any controversy over the method of donations has only fueled the hype surrounding EVO this year. And $100,000 was raised in small donations from people that barely have any money. That's good publicity when retards in congress are coming out to say video games create psychopaths. I don't see how it's been anything but a grand slam success.
    PSN: wiredgod
    BB: Carl
    P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia
    I'm hearing possible stolen credit cards? Anyone confirm?
    What would this be about? Company getting involved?

Maybe. Is there a problem with companies donating large sums? I'm honestly not sure about that rule (I'm not asking about whether it's fair, I just want to know if it's allowed).
    On the method used for the top EVO spot, if it weren't for this competitive donation drive none of the communities would have mobilized to do things like holding training sessions with experienced players, like you did on stream (it was immensely helpful) or like smash did for their fundraisers. The constantly changing 8th game scoreboard and any controversy over the method of donations has only fueled the hype surrounding EVO this year. And $100,000 was raised in small donations from people that barely have any money. That's good publicity when retards in congress are coming out to say video games create psychopaths. I don't see how it's been anything but a grand slam success.
    In reality, I am more than happy with the donation drive. It's got us exposure, new players and more importantly we raised a metric fuckton of money.

It's still a very, very, very shitty way to decide the 8th game. I've said it since the beginning. It's not that I don't like the idea of the drive, but I only like it as actual charity work. I love doing charity work. Feels great. An incentive to do charity work is also great.

The incentive, though, is pretty terrible. While it's our best chance of getting into EVO at the moment, if we do win it would 100% feel like cheating (even though it's perfectly in line with the rules), and I still would not be happy with having this drive determine the winner. Even when SG is the only game I play, and is the only reason I'm going to EVO, winning over larger communities because we raised more money isn't quite the best way to gain respect. Exposure, yes. Respect? Maybe.

So, come tomorrow if (and when :p ) SG wins, it will basically prove my point. It's not that I don't think SG deserves (and there goes the objectivity of my post) to be in EVO, but however much I want it to go to EVO, I would LOVE for SG to make it to EVO on its own merits. All we have to do is make people notice said merits.

So the key here will be, regardless of whether we win or not, to give SG as much exposure as we possibly can. I will continue streaming casuals, tutorials and recorded matches. Hopefully worldjem, BrandX, derek93, smashbro29 and others will keep streaming, and duckator along with everyone else who has the capacity to record anything will keep posting videos on Youtube. To make people notice us, we need to stay relevant, and that means saturating the FGC with exposure. The more exposure, the more solid the community becomes, and the more players will want to give the game a chance.
    Maybe. Is there a problem with companies donating large sums? I'm honestly not sure about that rule (I'm not asking about whether it's fair, I just want to know if it's allowed).

yeah as far as I know they aren't accepting donations from companies.
    Dirty money eh....can't say I'm shocked:)
  • fluxcorefluxcore Fighting Kiwi Joined: Posts: 291
    11k behind smash, this is going to be one epic donation push!
    There is no knowledge that is not power
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭✭
    A break from this thread isn't a bad idea, but I plan on nuking it into the f****** ground tomorrow morning, so let's just (not) enjoy it whine it's around a little longer...
    Did you get a little over zealous and nuke the entire site prematurely...?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
This discussion has been closed.