How is your team vs. Morridoom? Is it the team or Chris G?

Comments

• serpentaurusserpentaurus just watching Joined: Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my team beats morridoom.
    I main Thor/Dorm/Doom and am in the process of learning Ammy for Nova/Doom/Ammy. I feel like I can beat MorriDoom free because aside from me being the best Marvel player in the world, I'm playing my two favorite Marvel characters in the world, Thor and Nova. Not much else to it than that.

How can you be the best mvc player in the world if you are not even the best Thor. *Thor voice* Saitsu where art thou!
    umvc3: Thor / Dr.Strange / Ammy - Thor / Dorm / Doom - Wesker / Dr.Strange / Vergil - ssf4: Vega
  • YawDanYawDan Joined: Posts: 529 ✭✭
    I've seen some people say Vajra assist is a good counter for Morrigan. But I've generally thought of, and seen hidden missiles counter Vajra. Have people actually tried Vajra against MorriDoom?

Edit: Nah, after watching Apex, Vajra is ineffective against MorriDoom. I think I also saw somone say Vajra is better than hidden missiles for Morrigan, that is also false.
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
  • KimmorKimmor Unholy liver spots Joined: Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is hella interesting. Let's see

My team
    Firebrand/Dorm/Ammy or Firebrand/Doom(plasma)/ammy. Also using Fbrand/dorm/skrull (tenderizer)

Firebrand does okayish against morrigan. His mobility is excellent and I feel that he can avoid most of the shit she throws if you're actively on the move, dashing and wall clinging.
    But If Firebrand gets hit while she's in AV, he's fucked because of his small health pool.

THis is why I believe my best bet would be to use Firebrand/Doom(plasma)/ammy(coldstar ofc huehue).
    CAll out doom to stop missiles assist, while superjumping, throwing fireballs and wall clinging. Firebrands zoning game is suprisingly strong and plasma helps him alot in neutral. After getting a hit in (in best case scenario anyway) set up an unblockable with ammy= Dead morrigan in best case. After that it isn't that bad, even though Firebrand has to watch out for Vergils absurd hitboxes
    Even though Fbrand has good normals (st.L, st.H), he is no match for Vergils normals and also has to watch out for swords.

I think the overall strategy would be getting a hit on Morrigan and snapping in Vergil -> setting up unblockable on Vergil coming in, then THC/DHC him IF possible.

Still, Fbrand vs Morrigan is tough, and if you get hit, even once in AV, you're mostly fucked.
    BUT, Doom/ammy is a powerful-ass shell and I believe I would still have a chance.

Also, Skrull has a chance against morrigan (need to use plasma beam assist if possible since missiles assist hurts meteor smashes) so that's a possibility

Sorry if my post is messy, just stating some random thoughts.
    You're wasting my time and my time is money and my mind is on my money and my money is on my mind
    PSN: Olvaha
    GFWL: Olvaha
    Bodybuilding enthusiast
    AE2012 Oni scrub
  • JazzJazz Pagua Sonfa Joined: Posts: 3,085
    chris g is one of the best mvc3 players in the country but the way hes been winning...RUNNING through dudes...u kind of have to think its the team

it would be one thing if morrigan didnt build meter DURING AV (which is the ONLY nerf she needs imo) and if missiles disappeared on hit...but with the game the way it is i dont see how u can call that fair/not endgame ...and we not even talking about vergil
    I think some ppl should join the madden community
  • WorstPlayerWorstPlayer Calm Yourself Joined: Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hidden missiles is one of the reasons Dok/doom is better than Dok/Sent. Doom stuffs Vajra and many teleport attempts.
  • KorbidonKorbidon For justice. Joined: Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't gold Lei-Lei take projectiles to the face and die after 2 calls? :-/
  • TenguEggTenguEgg Joined: Posts: 1,145
    I've seen some people say Vajra assist is a good counter for Morrigan. But I've generally thought of, and seen hidden missiles counter Vajra. Have people actually tried Vajra against MorriDoom?
    Its really just to slow down Morrigan, obviously you're not gonna call Vajra straight into a HM call. It just makes the Morrigan a bit more cautious about her options, especially if you have the ability to cross up her inputs and make her miss a flight cancel in the air, meaning a free Vajra hit.

I think most of the top tiers, along with high tier zoning characters backed by an AA assist have the ability to go toe-to-toe in a chip battle with MorriDoom, maybe at a slight deficit ( by health, or meter if you have those options ). Especially if you have really fast aerial mobility and have the finesse to maneuver around missiles/stay in the air for awhile. Vajra will definitely even this up or put it in your favor if you manage to snipe her with a HDK, also allows you to move in for a mixup.

Thats not to say MorriDoom doesn't have ways to blow up Vajra, but technically every character can wreck Vajra. Its just to slow her momentum, thats what its all about, it opens the gaps in the defense/offense and just widens your window of opportunity that much more.
    Vajra is okay, but I think bolts ruins Doom. Missiles is the main problem. Going after Morrigan with missiles kicking is a bit pointless. Now if someone dares.

Point strider, jam session, bolts.

But this team needs to put in work!
    I updated my previous post... I just watched Apex, and I don't think Vajra's really effective against MorriDoom, or Chris G at the very least. I've personally used Strider, point and assist, against MorriDoom and definitely thought it was easier in theory than practice.

But if judging by Chris G/JRosa's match with two high level players, I'd say that Vajra really has nigh impact against MorriDoom. I don't want to turn this into a tic-for tac theory discussion, but though Vajra did fine against Morrigan by herself, missiles just covered Morrigan too well for Vajra to have been of any use in the set.
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
    You cant vajra on point or as an assist with missiles going. At least if youre hit high enough on point you can call an assist again. Like jam session. You basically have to knock off doom. Before applying serious pressure on Morrigan.

To bad there arent many godlike strider/dante/stranges. Too much work seriously.
  • KJunkKJunk Joined: Posts: 2,950
    Strider's Gram H (the one that hits practically full screen) does a good job of bopping Doom Hidden Missiles too, but you see so few Striders use it. They always just fall back and immediately teleport.
    When's Marvel? Go see for yourself - The UMvC3 Tournament and Stream Commentary Thread V2
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chris g is one of the best mvc3 players in the country but the way hes been winning...RUNNING through dudes...u kind of have to think its the team

it would be one thing if morrigan didnt build meter DURING AV (which is the ONLY nerf she needs imo) and if missiles disappeared on hit...but with the game the way it is i dont see how u can call that fair/not endgame ...and we not even talking about vergil

Its not so much whether its fair...its more so whether or not people are too lazy to find other "broken" flood teams or strats to compete.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also...there is no assist that single handedly deals with MorriDoom or missiles...so don't even bring that up. The point character has to be involved in conjunction and that forces you to describe specifically how the point and assist combo beats Morri/Doom.

Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • JohnNumbersJohnNumbers Joined: Posts: 52
    I still think that Ammy on point with a beam assist(to stuff Doom shooting missiles) gets the job done... at least in theory, because of two things:

- The projectile reflector not only works on Soul Fists coming from the front, but also the ones coming from behind, and since it's a reflector you don't have to time properly(like Taskmaster's for example), you can just hold it out all day and wait for Morrigan to approach.
    - When Morrigan DOES approach, no matter what she does, she's going to be forced to approach from the air. Her approach options are walking, dashing, jumping, or flying, and she obviously can't walk over to the other side because there'll most likely be reflected Soul Fists and a beam flying at her face if she does that. With that in mind, all she can really do is jump over what you've done, or try to dash in, but since her dash makes her AIRBORNE... that in itself limits all of her approaches to aerial ones, so when the obvious Shell Kick that she's gonna try to throw out at you happens, you can switch to the high counter(this requires some good timing and anticipation, and is possible because of the fast startup and nonexistant endlag of the reflectors), and go to town from there.

Another note, if you're fighting MorriDoom + Vergil, the opposing player might call the Rapid Slash assist to stop you, but for whatever reason Rapid Slash is considered a projectile, so you can just keep the projectile reflector up in that case.

Thoughts?
  • Mr.PaVy-RDMr.PaVy-RD Joined: Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any character has potential its modok but people are to busy Dick riding vergil wesker zero spencer to try him out
    I block better in Marvel than i do in Streetfighter :(

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Ae2012-Yun/Yang/Seth/Ryu/Cody/Dudley
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • serpentaurusserpentaurus just watching Joined: Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Magneto + bolts and Dr Strange DHCs outplay Morrigan + missiles. Magneto/missiles lose to Morrigan/missiles mostly because Morrigan can cover Missiles better, thats always the outcome in that matchup, the point character that can cover missiles better wins, thats why Magneto/Doom ****s on Haggar/Missiles like 8-2 or 9-1
    umvc3: Thor / Dr.Strange / Ammy - Thor / Dorm / Doom - Wesker / Dr.Strange / Vergil - ssf4: Vega
  • ZProtossZProtoss Joined: Posts: 198
    I think the biggest threat of Morridoom in the long term is what effects it has on the games diversity. It's entirely possible that there are several team combos out there that could give the team a run for its money, but consider how much of the game is excluded in that statement.

One of UMvC3's best attributes was the extreme variety of characters who were viable/playable. MorriDoom is probably going to single handedly force the game into an era in where there's < 8 viable team combinations because of the very specific things you need to break that combination.

I'm one of the most anti-ban people out there for video games in general, but if the game ends in a situation where 95%+ of team combinations are rendered useless by one team combination, I think you have to seriously start considering an ST Akuma style ban on that specific combination. Not advocating for it now, but if the game is in a similar state 6 months to a year from now, it might have to happen.
    I think the biggest threat of Morridoom in the long term is what effects it has on the games diversity. It's entirely possible that there are several team combos out there that could give the team a run for its money, but consider how much of the game is excluded in that statement.

One of UMvC3's best attributes was the extreme variety of characters who were viable/playable. MorriDoom is probably going to single handedly force the game into an era in where there's < 8 viable team combinations because of the very specific things you need to break that combination.

I'm one of the most anti-ban people out there for video games in general, but if the game ends in a situation where 95%+ of team combinations are rendered useless by one team combination, I think you have to seriously start considering an ST Akuma style ban on that specific combination. Not advocating for it now, but if the game is in a similar state 6 months to a year from now, it might have to happen.

You don't need to do that. Worst case scenario just start doing low tier tournaments like MVC2.

Chrisis said he thinks the game will get to a point where Viper in general as a character will need to be banned also.

There's still too much shit that blows up MorriDoom in tourneys ATM. Until Wolverine can no longer run forward and tear Morri to pieces in 5 seconds...no need for banning. Especially since only Chris G is using the team to any real success. There's literally only one other MorriDoom having real success and he still gets bopped all the time too.

Akuma was banned because matchup wise he destroyed basically everyone in the game. He made everyone useless. O.Sagat was soft banned and more akin to what Morri/Vergil/Doom could be at the worst. Probably rendered half the cast useless, but you could still use him if you wanted to.

I understand you don't mean right now...but even then there's a lot better ways to handle it than treating any specific team that ends up being really good like ST Akuma. There was no team in MVC2 that was as good as ST Akuma.

• HitzelHitzel jump jump jump jump jump Joined: Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    I am a terrible Marvel player and you probably shouldn't take anything I say seriously.

BUT, from playing online (at an embarrassing scrub level of play) I've found my Rocket Raccoon to do well against Morrigans. I can burrow or float to stall and most fireball patterns seem to just go over him completely when he's grounded. cr.H pokes right into the area she is usually hanging out at, it stuffs Doom assist, and it's cancelable into everything (like Log Trap, fireballs, Rocket Skates, burrow, traps, etc). Most Morrigans I play end up getting frustrated and run into a trap or Cold Star.

Of course he has stupid low health and most of the resets I can do lose to her invincible super. I'm also very bad and the players I'm beating are very bad, so I'm sure that my experiences pretty much say nothing about how this matchup really goes. Still though, maybe I can help some better players here figure out if RR is actually a legitimate answer. Or not, but at least I tried to help lol.
  • janoDXjanoDX Nonon #1 fan Joined: Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭
    I had thought about doing this and someone in the tier thread mentioned it earlier.

1. List your current main team and how you think it deals with Morrigan/Doom between the point/second and anchor. Do all 3 characters with or without assist have a fighting shot or are you up the creek if left with a certain one? Does your team have ashot whether Morri is on point or in the second spot?

2. What team(s) do you think would do well or possibly eventually counter MorriDoom?

3. Do you believe the team is truly that unbeatable or do you believe its more Chris G?

1. Wolverine/Akuma/Vergil. I can get a shot with my team, specially since if Wolvie gets a hit, Morrigan is done. If she's on second spot it might get easier, since she would lose either Vergil or Doom depending the fight. You can call when Doom's assist will be called if you have good reads.

2. Dante/Vergil/Magneto. Wolverine/Vergil/Dante. VJoe/Frank/Raccoon (Kusoru's Team).

3. Its Chris G, he found his sweet spot. If it was Morrigan, Dieminion would have been winning some majors time ago, or any Morrigan or Morridoom user.

Playing lots of stuff right now.
    Follow me on Twitter!: iamnotjanodx
  • D4GamersD4Gamers Just Like Cap! Joined: Posts: 268
    I am a terrible Marvel player and you probably shouldn't take anything I say seriously.

BUT, from playing online (at an embarrassing scrub level of play) I've found my Rocket Raccoon to do well against Morrigans. I can burrow or float to stall and most fireball patterns seem to just go over him completely when he's grounded. cr.H pokes right into the area she is usually hanging out at, it stuffs Doom assist, and it's cancelable into everything (like Log Trap, fireballs, Rocket Skates, burrow, traps, etc). Most Morrigans I play end up getting frustrated and run into a trap or Cold Star.

Of course he has stupid low health and most of the resets I can do lose to her invincible super. I'm also very bad and the players I'm beating are very bad, so I'm sure that my experiences pretty much say nothing about how this matchup really goes. Still though, maybe I can help some better players here figure out if RR is actually a legitimate answer. Or not, but at least I tried to help lol.

Skill level doesn't mean anything when it comes to theory fighter, tons of casual players have found new tech and setups I'd say even more so than the pro's.

I think RR has a better shot than most characters from what I know about him, he's a huge reliability though with the amount of health he has. I'd like to see more matches of this matchup in order to get a better take on it.
    -Vanilla MvC3: Main:Zero/ Viper/ Taskmaster I Alt: Skrull/ Wesker/ Sentinel
    -Ultimate MvC3:Main: Spencer/ Hulk/ Doom I Alt: Doom/ Akuma/ Strider
    - Currently learning: Ironfist, Dante, Frank West

Ive said this like 4 or 5 times now rocket raccoon is good against morrigan.when kusoru played chris he kept going underground everytime chris activated astral vision

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    I still think that Ammy on point with a beam assist(to stuff Doom shooting missiles) gets the job done... at least in theory, because of two things:

- The projectile reflector not only works on Soul Fists coming from the front, but also the ones coming from behind, and since it's a reflector you don't have to time properly(like Taskmaster's for example), you can just hold it out all day and wait for Morrigan to approach.
    - When Morrigan DOES approach, no matter what she does, she's going to be forced to approach from the air. Her approach options are walking, dashing, jumping, or flying, and she obviously can't walk over to the other side because there'll most likely be reflected Soul Fists and a beam flying at her face if she does that. With that in mind, all she can really do is jump over what you've done, or try to dash in, but since her dash makes her AIRBORNE... that in itself limits all of her approaches to aerial ones, so when the obvious Shell Kick that she's gonna try to throw out at you happens, you can switch to the high counter(this requires some good timing and anticipation, and is possible because of the fast startup and nonexistant endlag of the reflectors), and go to town from there.

Another note, if you're fighting MorriDoom + Vergil, the opposing player might call the Rapid Slash assist to stop you, but for whatever reason Rapid Slash is considered a projectile, so you can just keep the projectile reflector up in that case.

Thoughts?

tumblr_m7inwyY5K81ranhnao1_250.gif

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
  • MetaSkipperMetaSkipper Pikachu used Surf! Joined: Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Imma post more when I get home, but Phoenix Wright/Frank West/Dante has a disproportionately good chance given the tiers. Not my Phoenix Wright/Frank West/Dante, though.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
    Freudian Cross-Up: When you block one way but get hit on your mother's side.
    UMvC3: Phoenix Wright/Frank West/Akuma Haggar/Spencer/Frank West Spencer/Haggar/Akuma
    SFIV: Zangief Hakan El Fuerte Abel Guile
  • ZProtossZProtoss Joined: Posts: 198
    In response to the OP, the answer is definitely both.

I think arguably the biggest problem with Morridoom in regards to its effect on the game is just how much the team shits on the natural variability of Marvel. When people do consistently well with other top tier teams (ie: notable Zero/Viper players), there's still tons and tons of matches in where their point gets bopped and they have to fight it out with characters 2/3 .

The very nature of the Morridoom gameplay style drastically reduces that variability. If you don't get things started quickly against it, you just... lose. There's no real back and forth, there's usually no moment in where pushing buttons can cause a tide turn.

Even the most dominant of rushdown characters have big holes in where the tide can instantly turn against them due to good reads by their opponent. The best players in that style are highly intelligent and cover their holes well, but they aren't perfect. Which means that even as they're rushing the shit out of someone, there's still the possibility for the other person to immediately start making a come back.

You don't get that possibility vs Morridoom. You only get that possibility when you get close, and getting that option often times entails eating a shitload of chip damage. It means that when you're against it, you really only get a small handful of chances to change things in your favor, compared to vast array of chances you get vs rushdown team X.

When you combine a team that has a variability that low, and you combine it with someone who rarely makes execution errors, you get Chris G's team which steam rolls through everyone.
  • axi0maxi0m I am the only God. Joined: Posts: 367
    As weird as this sounds, I've had good luck dodging fireballs using walljump shenanigans. I use it a lot against Morridoom type stuff and Zero shadowclone fireball/blaster spam. Especially DT'd Vergil since you can still get an air-dash after the wall jump and if you're charging a round trip that is more air-time. It's not an optimal way to "deal" with it but it can waste AV time and the opponents meter if you just play defensive and get as much hang-time as possible.

Though wall-jumping stuff works best if your opponent has a predictive pattern and you can get into the rhythm. I also can't remember if Vergil's j. H eats projectiles like the ground one does but a wall jump air dash H might be good to get in there.

Wesker obviously has problems with MorriDoom but considering my main "training" partner plays lame in every game I've developed a lot of things to maintain air-time and try for some YOLO confirms. I play Wesker like he has an 8-way air-dash the way I stick to the air with teleports etc. So I doubt my team could really shut it down unless I get a lucky hit in since all of my characters have TOD potential, but my execution isn't on point and I typically play more mix-up/reset heavy.

To answer the question I think it is part Chris G and part the team; he definitely does something different that other MorriDoom players don't and that is primarily pattern adjustments based on situation as well as the random rushdown which throws people off.
    UMvC3: Vergil/DOOOOM/Wesker
    AE: Akuma/Juri (Currently playing around with E. Ryu and Oni though)
    MvC2: Strider/Thanos/Jin (NAKED SATELLITE BUBBLE PARTIES!)
  • GangieGangie Socialite Joined: Posts: 484
    Jill can use MGS to clear the screen of soul fists and catch whatever assist is out easily. I wish I could say it could also catch Morrigan committing to a move, but she can just fly-cancel whatever she might be doing and block in most cases. It makes me wish Frank's shopping cart assist plowed through projectiles like Akuma's spin kick.

Strider's Vajra assist is nice for maintaining pressure from anywhere to keep aggressive, though.
    -Lex
  • TheCapeTheCape Joined: Posts: 936 ✭✭
    Metaskipper posted about it, but I was curious why no one looks into a team with Phoenix Wright? Maya's sheild potects him front and back while he gathers evidence and he can SJ away in the interim.
    If its not fun, I will just stop playing it.
  • eivellordsm2eivellordsm2 Macho Barbarian dongzilla Joined: Posts: 1,334
    Metaskipper posted about it, but I was curious why no one looks into a team with Phoenix Wright? Maya's sheild potects him front and back while he gathers evidence and he can SJ away in the interim.
    because it mr wright I can only think of one that does well in tournaments....
    Wright basically has two tools against Morrigan: The Cell Phone and Maya Shield. Maya Shield covers Wright while he collects evidence, from both sides if need be. The Cellphone both stuffs fireballs coming from the front and forces Morrigan to block. If Wright sets up his fireball game up first, which isn't too hard to do with Maya, he WILL win 1-on-1 with Morrigan. Even if you don't have the Cellphone, papers and his other evidence can suffice. In Turnabout mode, forget it.

Of course, Wright has to deal with Morrigan rushdown and MorriDoom. Rushdown, admittedly, is something any Wright player needs to learn to deal with. Morridoom specifically, is tricky. The hope is that you lock down Morrigan, and then catch a Doom call with either an Objection, or Order in the Court->XF->Objection. In thoery, anyway.

Of course, it means using Phoenix Wright.
    UMvC3: Phoenix Wright/Frank West/Akuma Haggar/Spencer/Frank West Spencer/Haggar/Akuma
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 2,061 ✭✭
    I play Vergil / Wesker / Magneto. I've never lost to a morri / something / doom team in tournament but I have more problem with X / Morri / Doom since if I get unlucky against an aggressive character and Vergil goes my team suffers pretty hard but Morrigan without multiple astral visions is pretty easy to deal with for Vergil since I can just throw out swords ->round trip and run forward throwing out a random 50/50. Also it's not a guaranteed win unless he has a lot of meter and vergil goes down since wesker can kill her pretty easily off a XF combo or level 3 even if touching her is fairly difficult if they are good.

I think it's the team and the American meta. We play a lot of offensive characters and since fireball x unfly is insanely good even without astral vision she gives the popular American characters difficulty. Also the best character against her (Vergil) isn't popular upfront so teams that play him often lose out because their front character gets mauled leaving her at a significant meter advantage against Vergil which makes things seem more even than they really are in that matchup.
    But even than the team has no real weakness, especially if it gets meter advantage early on. She simply can't be hit unless you can out prioritize j. S and fireball->unfly -> something plus there is always Doom to worry about. So if she's up front or you don't kill her on the incoming mixup she will probably get space from push block and rape you while building tons of meter for more astral. Only way I've found to get through it is largely just blocking and air throwing with straight forward characters like Magneto or Spencer but if the player is good at breaking air throws things get much worse really quickly. So just play vergil and swat her around with j.C,st. C, and swords.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • AtmapalazzoAtmapalazzo Joined: Posts: 40
    On the topic of how to deal with Morridoom, I think we need to both stop looking for this "untapped character" and just figure out how the characters we know are good AND look for new ideas from characters who are in the top to fight. Basically: look for unique ideas, not characters.

However, that being said. Arthur is a rather odd character to use against Morridoom.
    I play 13 characters in Divekick
    However, that being said. Arthur is a rather odd character to use against Morridoom.

Maybe the idea is to out-fireball Morrigan, like Phoenix Wright?
  • RECESSIONTIMERECESSIONTIME clever title Joined: Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    I hope chrisg takes evo2k13. This guy deserves it more than ANY past mvc3/umvc3 evo winner. As much as I commend all of you for trying to bring him down I can't help but feel like he really deserves it. This guy is the King without the crown, you all know this.
  • MysticRayMysticRay Mashes Dive Kick Until It Works. Joined: Posts: 4,732
    Firebrand/Ammy/Skrull.
    FB and Ammy usually get killed outright unless I somehow land a miracle hit into the 1 million + unblockable.

Then I just Pop x-factor and hope Meteor Smash gets a happy birthday.
    That's how I fight Morridoom :smokin:
    UMVC3 Teams: Kawaiibrand/Skrub/Whackbot . Kawaiibrand/Dog/Skrub
    Lovez the chubbays and Dark Magician Fatty.
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    Have a team of Thor/Haggar/Shehulk. Had a hard time getting around it with Haggar and Shehulk of course, so I switch in Thor, using Mighty Spark to counter spam. Doesn't work. My problem is I keep forgetting that Mighty Strike goes through all that mess on the screen. Wait for the downtime on Missiles and approach from the air, using Mighty Strike to tag her for a combo. If I'm lucky, I can get a happy birthday and tag Doom before he puts missiles out on the screen.

I think people are still sleeping on Thor and his ability to move around the screen, play an average zoning game, and go through projectiles.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    Have a team of Thor/Haggar/Shehulk. Had a hard time getting around it with Haggar and Shehulk of course, so I switch in Thor, using Mighty Spark to counter spam. Doesn't work. My problem is I keep forgetting that Mighty Strike goes through all that mess on the screen. Wait for the downtime on Missiles and approach from the air, using Mighty Strike to tag her for a combo. If I'm lucky, I can get a happy birthday and tag Doom before he puts missiles out on the screen.

I think people are still sleeping on Thor and his ability to move around the screen, play an average zoning game, and go through projectiles.

Your team fucking sucks (big body love). But yeah Thor would be that life saver for ya.

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    Your team fucking sucks (big body love). But yeah Thor would be that life saver for ya.

yea, I got mangled at Xanadu on saturday. I blame myself, not the team though. I don't usually fight good mags.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    1. My current team is Captain America (Y)/Dante (a)/Doom (a). Charging star with plasma beam nullifies grounded zoning. I've seen how Dante fights bullet hell, but I can't plink dash like that unfortunately, so it's pretty much just Cap backed by plasma beam that really gives me a fighting chance. Until Morrigan decides to go in the air then I've got to try and use Jam Session well enough to protect Cap.

As to whether my team would have a shot if Morrigan wasn't on point, I'm not sure. My team has really weak incoming mix-ups and she can always DHC safely. I think anyone's best bet against the team would be to somehow get rid of Doom first and foremost.

2. I personally believe Zero/Vergil/Doom or Strange could possibly. Mainly because they could deal with the projectiles to an extent. The biggest problem is getting caught from behind due to Astral Vision. The biggest issue I think face is dealing with a MorriDoom with meter stacked.

However, if we're just looking at the MorriDoom shell itself and actual matches from the past, I actually think Combofiend's She-Hulk teams have had the best success against the duo, if we are to ignore MorriDoom's third character. Chris G had to switch to Akuma on point at ECT4 and start him in EVO against Combofiend, as She-Hulk surprisingly handled Morrigan quite well. It also seems he struggled with Morrigan on point PR Rog Fei's team. So from actual high-level play, it would seem that the third character in the MorriDoom team would have almost as much a bearing on results as the MorriDoom shell as well.

...And Now Chris G's picked up Vergil 1

3. Do you believe the team is truly that unbeatable or do you believe its more Chris G?

I don't believe any team is truly unbeatable; Chris G does drop matches in a set. I think it comes down to the players more than the team. People have said it's the team not the player and used JRosa as an example of how a 'lesser skilled' player as acquired success which he wouldn't have normally because of the team (I personally think he's good).

However, we could say- if it was MorriDoom that made the players win, then all the other MorriDoom's would take majors too. Despite how good the shell is, most players, MorriDoom users or otherwise, aren't as good as Chris G.

Except for Joker, whom he's yet to replay I believe, he's beaten everyone who has previously beaten his MorriDoom. He's made the necessary adaptions or team modifcations necessary to overcome his defeats. Whatever the reason may be, I'd say Chris G is currently just better than everyone else 1

(sorry this was a repost from me. I decided to answer according to DJ's questions as I felt it better helped articulate my opinions. And darn this is long! I'm trying to make it smaller shorter)

1= I haven't finished watching SCR yet
    Wolverine just beat Morri Doom again. Still hope.

Wolverine just beat Morri Doom again. Still hope.

Which is an accurate assessment since it was basically Wolverine that won it for him (not ragging on RogFei just stating that Wolvie made it possible)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah I just finished catching up on SCR's finals, Chris G's MorriDoom didn't seem to have an answer for PR Rog's play. Marlinpie also sent Chris G to losers so the team isn't unbeatable at all.
    Yeah I just finished catching up on SCR's finals, Chris G's MorriDoom didn't seem to have an answer for PR Rog's play. Marlinpie also sent Chris G to losers so the team isn't unbeatable at all.

I put part of Rog beating him on his play style. Rog plays like he gives even less fucks than Rick Grimes. Chris just didn't seem to be expecting full blown RTSD against his team since very few people take that approach against MorriDoom. All of my successes against those types of teams have been with high risk balls deep offense. Sniktbub is perfect for that.

Honestly though I was more hype during those ApologyMan matches than the GFs.

But now ChrisG is going to "learn the hard stuff." I'm not entirely sure what that means, though.
    But now ChrisG is going to "learn the hard stuff." I'm not entirely sure what that means, though.

Viper and Firebrand obviously.
    I put part of Rog beating him on his play style. Rog plays like he gives even less fucks than Rick Grimes. Chris just didn't seem to be expecting full blown RTSD against his team since very few people take that approach against MorriDoom. All of my successes against those types of teams have been with high risk balls deep offense. Sniktbub is perfect for that.

Honestly though I was more hype during those ApologyMan matches than the GFs.

Yeah balls deep has always been the best non theory answer that's been working most consistently. That's really what stopped it in MVC2 and it's already been stopping it even more quickly in 3 so far.

He really should be using Vergil on point to make the team truly end game. I don't know why he's been running the team with Morri up front which takes so much longer to enact the cheese. I put his team together as a side team very early when the game came out and it was already obvious then that Vergil first was the way to go.
  • LanzomaLanzoma Pragmatic Fighter Joined: Posts: 58
    He really should be using Vergil on point to make the team truly end game. I don't know why he's been running the team with Morri up front which takes so much longer to enact the cheese. I put his team together as a side team very early when the game came out and it was already obvious then that Vergil first was the way to go.

I can understand that in theory, but is it, in practice?

I mean, Vergil should pretty much not be allowed to touch the ground after Morrigan dies, but we still see it happen all the time, and we know how crazy Vergil + XF2 is. By comparison, Morrigan doesn't really have strong XF options or happy birthday combos, and that would leave Doom as the ill-prepared savior.

This is also debatable, but I feel like Morrigan has a better start of the round despite her lack of throw conversions.

I agree that the cheese is easier to setup with that order, but it seems like if things don't go your way, a comeback is far less possible...and I get a lot of them with derpgil. I'm open to being persuaded though.
  • Cheech WizardCheech Wizard Joined: Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think Morrigan/Vergil/Doom is the optimal order.

Vergil second turns morrigan into a TOD character which is just pure insanity. The one balancing factor about her is that she cant really kill you in one hit but with vergil 2nd that changes things.
    Slow and steady wins the race
    I can understand that in theory, but is it, in practice?

I mean, Vergil should pretty much not be allowed to touch the ground after Morrigan dies, but we still see it happen all the time, and we know how crazy Vergil + XF2 is. By comparison, Morrigan doesn't really have strong XF options or happy birthday combos, and that would leave Doom as the ill-prepared savior.

This is also debatable, but I feel like Morrigan has a better start of the round despite her lack of throw conversions.

I agree that the cheese is easier to setup with that order, but it seems like if things don't go your way, a comeback is far less possible...and I get a lot of them with derpgil. I'm open to being persuaded though.

It's a safer order...but also the easier order the crack. Speed of team destruction >>>>safeness at round start.

With Vergil it's once you get started the match should be over and you can build up meters for a safe astral vision DHC into the match is over for most of the cast no matter who is on point.

Morrigan needs 2 meters to enact the true TOD off every hit stuff. Not being able to get a TOD off the throw at round start is a big issue for option selects and what not. That basically gives Wolverine the space he needs to come back if he gets through the hard knockdown into AV that he will be forced to set up off of the throw. People forget how strong of a part throws are in this game as far as footsies is concerned.

Doom on the anchor of any team has to be the ill prepared savior to comeback...but at least if he does get near he can do it without much resource. It's just there's a lot of matchups where he shouldn't get near unless the XF gets him lucky.

Once you have 2 meters + XF2, Morrigan Doom is at the true point where there's not much that can shut it down anymore barring other types of YOLO meter burns.

You still see Vergil come down all the time because people don't always get combos that kill in the corner or they just use shitty setups once they get Vergil in the corner. Morrigan has better movement and anti mash options for the corner any ways. Plus a level 3 that gets her out of all welcome mix ups if she gains 3 meters. It's 3 meters but hey...you're still alive.
    Yeah I think Morrigan/Vergil/Doom is the optimal order.

Vergil second turns morrigan into a TOD character which is just pure insanity. The one balancing factor about her is that she cant really kill you in one hit but with vergil 2nd that changes things.

It's ok. Not being able to combo off throws into TOD without 2 meters is kinda meh for round start. She mainly just has strong footsie tools round start as her main thing. Not being able to set up TAC's period off throws is a big issue also. Granted she has the most options to deal with throws in the game...but there's no way to completely outspace one frame air throws. You're just gonna get grabbed sometimes and then shit happens.