Why AAA companies doesn't hire Anime Studios to do HD Sprites?

Comments

• jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats not what the mvc artbook says :(
    I was talking about something like this.
    OGvDSKJ.png

Sure they modified it to look correctly on the limited color depth and weird resolution.
    I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. http://www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum/ [8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 2,061 ✭✭
    How hard would it be for them to take pre-existing sprites of Marvel characters and just HD-ify them? (im really asking)
    Very difficult. Everything would have to be blown up and traced or 100% redrawn. Odds are they are bitmap images (typically way way quicker to make than vector art which is resolution independent) so they aren't resolution independent. That's the main downside to 2D, it's not like 3D where your assets are fairly portable to high resolutions since a lot of games are beginning to do the whole hi-res 3D to gameplay quality 3D model thing. 3S looks ok largely from the use of a lot of filters and the fact it looked really good for the resolution it was at but it still looks pretty pixelly to me.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • skiieskiie Joined: Posts: 147
    I think once you do some studying in 3d modeling you'll realize how much more easier it is to do than 2d sprites. Like even models like Shuma from UMVC is easy for high end studios to do.
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 554 ✭✭
    How hard would it be for them to take pre-existing sprites of Marvel characters and just HD-ify them? (im really asking)

There's no such thing as HD-ifying. You can either:

A) Make them bigger (which will just make them look pixelly or blurry)
    B) Redraw them.

The problem is that the sprites are low-res. Meaning that someone's nose might be like, one pixel, and it will look fine. But when you enlarge that sprite, that 1 pixel nose just looks like a big brown block in the middle of their face. Details that looked fine when things were small look horrible now that the size is so much bigger. So in order to do it properly you'd have to redraw a lot of things.

Honestly, if you liked the old sprites, then play at the original res. If you want a game in true HD (and not just enlarged), it really has to be redrawn.
    Check out my work!

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
    YOUTUBE | youtube.com/user/bchan009
    TWITTER | twitter.com/bchan009
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you're seriously confusing people who make animation in their free time and people who do it for a living...

There are lots of people who animate for a living, working for Korean studios. The quality and consistency of the animation is directly proportional to the amount of money being put into a project. Also, US and Japanese cartoons have been for the most part animated and outsourced to Korea since the 90s.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about with the living with parents thing. Not everyone who animates is some kind of closeted loser, and if you work for a studio, you draw what THEY tell you to.

you are talking about the cream of the crop though. the rest of the anime industry caters to niche audiences inside Japan with low quality production and low skilled staff. they are mostly for DVD though and are unlikely to be ever televised.

a lot of animators and voice actors even use aliases when they participate in such productions.

I participated in discussions in forums specialized in Japanese animation and unfortunately the situation in Japan is just like that. besides, the talented animators are absorbed by the video game industry.
    not good at any, mediocre at many
    you are talking about the cream of the crop though. the rest of the anime industry caters to niche audiences inside Japan with low quality production and low skilled staff. they are mostly for DVD though and are unlikely to be ever televised.

a lot of animators and voice actors even use aliases when they participate in such productions.

I participated in discussions in forums specialized in Japanese animation and unfortunately the situation in Japan is just like that. besides, the talented animators are absorbed by the video game industry.

What you're basically saying is that the talented people do good work and the mediocre people do mediocre work...

...which is true in EVERY industry. And, like in every industry, there are a select few who are very skilled and a vast majority with varying degrees of competence. What you describe certainly isn't something special to Japan, and certainly not special to animation either.

Every SyFy/B movie ever is a product of the same thing, isn't it? Unskilled people putting together shitty productions. Same goes for every lousy shovelware videogame or shitty indie comic -- and last time I checked, those kinds of things exist in every country.
    Check out my work!

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭
    Japan is peculiar though since they produce 60 % of the worlds animation.This gives them a far larger share in mediocre works too.
    hence why the Japanese animation industry is peculiar, let alone when their system is already ancient and needs to change.

but this belongs to another discussion!
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭
    Of course most don't do western-style comics.
    Which is, precisely, why their drawing skills are largely underdeveloped, for the most part. It doesn't take only talent, but study and training, which they lack due to the low quality requirements of both mainstream and underground Japanese animation, nowadays. The anime/manga style is to a drawing what pop + autotune is to music, except the artists actually do have some talent - but lack training and experience.
  • Monster637Monster637 Rage Trigger Joined: Posts: 1,068 ✭✭
    not really
    street fighter 4 is a stylized game, its gonna age a well
    unlike tekken or virtua fighter, you ever play old tekken it looks like ass.
    you ever play something like legend of zelda winwaker now, its looks fantastic, because its cartoony and stylzed
    tekken 1 looked like ass when it first dropped.. everything on ps1 was a abomination,ps1 was the 3d experiment system
    Sent From under Your bed......Using Your MOM!!!
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The anime/manga style is to a drawing what pop + autotune is to music
    I'm guessing you don't read Berserk then? The guy puts in work.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • The Tall NerdThe Tall Nerd Joined: Posts: 398
    tekken 1 looked like ass when it first dropped.. everything on ps1 was a abomination,ps1 was the 3d experiment system
    i didnt just mean ps1,you ever play tekken 4,its weird.
    but i understand crash looked alright though,and resident evil, and alot of games
    Which is, precisely, why their drawing skills are largely underdeveloped, for the most part. It doesn't take only talent, but study and training, which they lack due to the low quality requirements of both mainstream and underground Japanese animation, nowadays. The anime/manga style is to a drawing what pop + autotune is to music, except the artists actually do have some talent - but lack training and experience.

You're completely missing my point. Just because the style they USE is simple, doesn't mean that artists don't know HOW to draw other ways. The west is no different - look at the majority of US animation right now - it's simple as shit. But many of those animators still went to art school, still know how to paint, do realistic drawings, etc.

Just because the industry has "lower" requirements (which I don't think is true), doesn't mean the artists don't know how to do what you consider "advanced" art.

What's more, it's unfair to compare animation to illustration, as animation is often less detailed due to necessity. In fact, animation-wise, Japanese stuff is MORE complex than US animation in most cases. See Family Guy/Simpsons/South Park/DC animated cartoons vs high end Japanese television animation.

And US comics aren't exactly "fine arts" either. Even big guys like Jim Lee are drawing "comic book art". Not exactly realistic either. It's just another style like anime is. The majority of US comics aren't exactly painted masterpieces. And most of it is done by teams of people (separate inker, penciler, colorist). Single person works like Walking Dead and other indie comics are a more accurate comparison to most Japanese manga, and in those cases manga is just as if not more detailed.

There are good artists and bad artists in every country, and the best of the best are comparable anywhere.
    Check out my work!

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    -sees anti-Japanese nonsense-

Is this guy for real? He's using manga and anime, mediums in which everything is generally simplified in order to save time and money drawing, and trying to use it as proof that Asian artists are less talented?

wbsup.bmp

Simplified style! Clearly, everyone that had to do with the visuals of this production chose to use this style because they can't do anything else.
    KOF XIII: Kula/Iori/Kim
    SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/WFF-AirLancer
    If you're in the NYC area and want to play some KOF XIII, hit me up!
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,270

American comics actually have low-mid skill artists In general. Most of the talented Western artist do concept art or do illustrations for things like Magic: the Gathering instead.

Now, on the topic of good Japanese artist who have done art for videogames...

Ayami Kojima (Castlevania)

th_779638429_1154280966708_122_22lo.jpg

Masaaki Hirooka (Espgaluda 2, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia)

th_784082598_Order_of_Ecclesiaart.02_122_79lo.jpg

Hiroaki (various SNK games, Super Street Fighter IV)

th_782822857_4_122_196lo.jpg

Jun Tsukasa (Sengoku Blade and Cannon)

th_784883791_09dbe11e0dd7ef3e9e0d8386460e2e0037c1dcad_122_190lo.jpg

Katsuya Terada (Daraku Tenshi, Sol Divide, does comics too)

th_784494868_009_DarakuTenshi_122_416lo.jpg

Bengus (lots of Capcom titles)

th_785070661_tumblr_lgu0d0D0Wi1qeyaiqo1_500_122_171lo.jpg

Those are just a few artists who have done stuff in a Westernized style. By the way, realism by itself isn't a desirable/necessary quality. For example, I'd take Kinu's extremely dynamic stylized art over Shinkiro's dull, stiff illustrations any day

th_782105803_0fa8bfc860d5fd399dcc4d33c87fb728_122_496lo.jpg th_782554574_mvc3_full_122_469lo.jpg
    American comics actually have low-mid skill artists In general. Most of the talented Western artist do concept art or do illustrations for things like Magic: the Gathering instead.

th_779638429_1154280966708_122_22lo.jpg

th_784082598_Order_of_Ecclesiaart.02_122_79lo.jpg

th_782822857_4_122_196lo.jpg

th_784883791_09dbe11e0dd7ef3e9e0d8386460e2e0037c1dcad_122_190lo.jpg

th_784494868_009_DarakuTenshi_122_416lo.jpg

th_785070661_tumblr_lgu0d0D0Wi1qeyaiqo1_500_122_171lo.jpg

Those are just a few artists who have done stuff in a Westernized style. By the way, realism by itself isn't a desirable quality. For example, I'd take Kinu's extremely dynamic stylized art over Shinkiro's dull, stiff illustrations any day

th_782105803_0fa8bfc860d5fd399dcc4d33c87fb728_122_496lo.jpg th_782554574_mvc3_full_122_469lo.jpg

i will take shinkiro any day, shinkiro cant aligned with dull , its fantastic

kino just looks like a horrible muscle fetish, i will take my shinkiro any day, and my people do find realism a desirable quality
    just because you dont like it means jack squat
    Shinkiro is dull. 99% of his work are characters in generic poses with no sense of personality or dynamism. In that picture you could swap any character and it would make no difference.

Realism by itself is worth jack squat.
    Shinkiro is dull. 99% of his work are characters in generic poses with no sense of personality or dynamism. In that picture you could swap any character and it would make no difference.

Realism by itself is worth jack squat.

i have to dissagree his stuff is far to beautiful to be calle dull, and impressive mind you.
    i think your completely wrong
    ULTIMATE_Marvel_VS._Capcom_3.jpg

i could argue the realism point, it depends on what your doing art about then realism can and is worth a whole lot.
    Of course most don't do western-style comics. How come Joe Madureira hasn't drawn any manga? Your question is pointless.

You have a problem where you think what style people draw with == skill.

According to you, the people who animate Adventure Time can't draw for shit because Adventure Time is drawn with a simple style. Your blind disdain for Asians is ridiculous.

The coloring job on some of these painted images is smoother and more detailed than the vast majority of mainstream American comics, many of which use SIMPLE, STYLIZED, ARTWORK. ::gasp!:: You mean Americans don't draw everything in a realistic style?! D:

no shit , those are stand alone illustrations, i agree with you in the "trying to prove that guy wrong" part, its just your argument is a bit unfair

i was comparing Ariel Olivetti

Incredible_Hulk_603.jpg

and Alex Ross

alexrossjustice.jpg

to dudes who are just doing weekly manga stuff, that is no where near fair
    Well yes, comparing illustrators to comic artists is apples and oranges really. No comic artist could make a living making comics with illustration-quality artwork... he'd be doing one full book in a decade.

That doesn't mean that some weekly manga dudes can't make top notch illustrations though...

sample-ca7ff4f4018971562fb64f9db8a90fa01_zps358b0a98.jpg
    Bengus aka Akiman aka what ever he went under for MvC2 he goes by a lot of different names.
    People are used to this art style though when it comes to him.
    Spoiler:
    I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. http://www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum/ [8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games
    Bengus is not Akiman. Their styles are different, and in the Capcom illustration books they are listed as different artists (he appears as CMRK in there).
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is getting stupid. All the useful info is on the first page. Then it devolded into trolls vs the easily trolled and a favorite artist competition.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

Those are just a few artists who have done stuff in a Westernized style. By the way, realism by itself isn't a desirable/necessary quality. For example, I'd take Kinu's extremely dynamic stylized art over Shinkiro's dull, stiff illustrations any day
    The Italian comic industry has several great artists (Civitelly, Villa, Della Monica, + several others). France has their share of masters too, such as Jean Giraud. US still has talented artists in comics, although the style is quite varied nowadays, and they actually have people from several countries. And UK still has the old Barry Smith, which is decidedly a master. And Ernesto Garcia Seijas, from Argentina, deserved to be mentioned.

I only really liked Terada, from the ones you posted. Kojima would be among the ones I dislike the most. Every character he draws looks like a female, or feels like it wanted to be one (taking hormones). Denying there's a gap between the current better western artists and the anime/manga ones is like denying there's a skill gap between Japanese and western players. It's just glaring.
    You're completely missing my point. Just because the style they USE is simple, doesn't mean that artists don't know HOW to draw other ways.
    So you are arguing that, despite the noticeable inferior quality of their current work, they may be able to produce higher quality material if they try it. Well, they can, taking much more time, still producing an inferior work in the process. Training and experience matters.

As for the quality of most manga, it is so low I didn't want to be utterly unfair. There's arguably more quality in Disney comic books than any famous manga series (One Piece, Dragon Ball, Saint Seya, Rurouni Kenshin, etc). No need to mention Italian western or Conan the Cimmerian here.
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    I'm the biggest anime nerd in this thread and I don't want to touch any of this fucking awful conversation.
    There are tons of Japanese artist, from comics and concept art that are on par with the best Western ones, oldschool. You just haven't cared enough to research enough to find them, or don't like their styles, which is understandable but has nothing to do with objective technical skill.
    Only way to settle this argument is to fight in real life.
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭
    The problem isn't they made HD sprites for it, it's that they gave the work to lousy artists and non-animators. They didn't add in-betweens and instead of fixing the anatomy mistakes they added even more, so everything ended up being a mess. But, imagine if instead of Udon someone competent made the sprites.

the original had zero silly anatomy mistakes and secondly udon were simply creating new hd sprites, not fixing any mistakes in the original which still looks good to this day. and i already stated that the animation was the only thing they should've worked on. hd graphics on a 15+ year old game will never work.
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *snip*

I liked this garbage so I could unlike it.

EDIT - And I agree with Chibi; the conversation is dumb.
    http://hfm.wtf — Pondering Entertainment
  • NickRocksNickRocks On the west side I'm screaming FUCK KD Joined: Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bengus' MvC3 art was very...different from what I expected haha
  • felinekifelineki Joined: Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Bengus changes his art style a lot. But the style people remember him the most for was the one he used in the early 90's, for Super SF2, Super Turbo, the first Darkstalkers, the first Street Fighter Alpha, etc.
    "The Hammer Bros. Suit was more broken than O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto put together." -specs

"I always thought that O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto were just aspects of the Hammer Bros. Suit, broken down in several pieces in order to keep the universe from breaking." -Wellman
    There are tons of Japanese artist, from comics and concept art that are on par with the best Western ones, oldschool. You just haven't cared enough to research enough to find them, or don't like their styles, which is understandable but has nothing to do with objective technical skill.
    Well, then I'll trust your judgement on this, my friend.
  • yomipoweryomipower not a legendary game designer Joined: Posts: 1,166 ✭✭

alexrossjustice.jpg

I gotta say to this one, it looked nice before I noticed Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Batman and The Flash share almost the exact same face. Same also goes for the two stretchy dudes over at the back. Lazy.
    Yomi, which is the Japanese word for the underworld. Also a brand of vitamins for children.
  • SSJ_SonikkuSSJ_Sonikku Fighting Game Maniac! Joined: Posts: 623
    Not only that Anime studios are completely different from sprite animators, but it would take a long time to make the sprites. I like sprites as well, but most of the time it is just better to make a 3D model. That way, you'll be able to do so much more for far less.
    Not only that Anime studios are completely different from sprite animators, but it would take a long time to make the sprites. I like sprites as well, but most of the time it is just better to make a 3D model. That way, you'll be able to do so much more for far less.

Well sprites in my opinion are not hard to make but it's very tedious to animate them frame by frame, the initial build of a 3d model is very difficult and tedious but once you have it its very easy to work with or animate with.
    I gotta say to this one, it looked nice before I noticed Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Batman and The Flash share almost the exact same face. Same also goes for the two stretchy dudes over at the back. Lazy.

Well, they are wearing masks... In the actual comics that Alex Ross (and in Justice's case, Doug Braithwaite) pencils, each character does have a pretty recognizable face. Even if they're faces taken from famous people, like how Alex Ross' Bruce Wayne looks like Gregory Peck.

aww now i cant unsee
    plastic man still has the best face
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede Badness At Its Finest Joined: Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭
    If i remeber well the thing that took the most time to do the sprites of kof xiii was the shedding part of it and not so much the animations like everybody thinks. That's what makes kof stand out and why hd remix looks so shitty.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    If i remeber well the thing that took the most time to do the sprites of kof xiii was the shedding part of it and not so much the animations like everybody thinks. That's what makes kof stand out and why hd remix looks so shitty.
    Nah, HDR looks like shit for many reasons, in fact.
    1. They thought it was a good idea to have the art matching the hit-hurtboxes. So you pick Balrog, and the motherfucker shrinks every time you block low - and Boxer players hold down-back 90% of the time;
    2. The "artists" had no sense whatsoever about anatomy. The frames that really resemble humans, do so by chance;
    3. The whole process was rushed - and Udon's artists are not very good - so they used very few colors. The original art actually has more colors and details than the new one (see video, compare Chun from that one and the original);
    4. This happens in conjunction to item 1: they never checked how the frames animate. Most characters distort themselves as they animate, or keep inflating and deflating;
    5. The in-game art style changed, for the worse.

BTW, it doesn't help that the ones responsible for the music were even more amateurs about the subject then Udon is when it comes to quality art. Most music has no bass or drums whatsoever, which was what stood out the most in original SF2WW, even it was electronic drums. But in order to add that lousy, piece of shit music, they used too much memory and the original stage sprites were left out, so you can not use them in classic mode + classic spites. /Superfacepalm
  • stickystainesstickystaines Joined: Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    Thats because HDR music was taken from artists over at OCRemix, so it's probably right about being amateurish.
    snip
    If Udon is so bad why don't you try and draw?
    Draw or shut the fuck up.
  • MoeMintsMoeMints Never looks up guides for the first week Joined: Posts: 15
    Not really going into this topic again, but even if he's being an idiot, "why don't you do it yourself" is a fucking stupid argument.
    You don't program, you can't say anything about technical errors. You don't cook, you can't say anything about food.
    Pure slippery slope nonsense.
    In remembrance
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m030f67iGU1rq56feo1_500.gif
    The only tournament that's near me is on my birthday.
    You don't program, you can't say anything about technical errors.

Hmm, I guess coding in M68k assembly isn't programming. I also cook for myself all the time nothing like some smoked paprika chicken stuffed with olives and having potatoes suck up the drippings.
    Hmm, I guess coding in M68k assembly isn't programming. I also cook for myself all the time nothing like some smoked paprika chicken stuffed with olives and having potatoes suck up the drippings.

Man, that point went sky-high over your head.
    Man, that point went sky-high over your head.
    Well somebody like Oldschool BR will never listen I told him. The reason why the Sagat's Tiger Knee input window is so tiny and it's the motion. He'll keep requesting for a bigger window even though it won't fix it at all.
  • SixMachineSixMachine Joined: Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭
    If I could find the video or the article I would post it but there was some rather new technology being made on 2d art. It was mapping vectors to the image so they can morph it on the fly like a 3d model. The video had an anime girl making facial expressions and looking around. I think if that gets bigger it would be interesting to see sprites being easier to create motion by having fewer ones being morphed instead of drawing so many of them.
  • MoeMintsMoeMints Never looks up guides for the first week Joined: Posts: 15

Bah, one more.
    You mean like Live2D and Paperman's 2D layers on 3D models?
    (App they're showing is Shizuku Talk btw)
    In remembrance
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m030f67iGU1rq56feo1_500.gif
    The only tournament that's near me is on my birthday.
  • SisqoDisqoSisqoDisqo Sign Up Date: November 1995 Joined: Posts: 376
    i wonder what her reaction would be if you slapped your penis against the monitor
    :snkd::snka::m:N
  • SixMachineSixMachine Joined: Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭
    snip

Yea I remember reading about this stuff. This could help in many cases for creating sprites, such as the idle stance animations.
    Well somebody like Oldschool BR will never listen I told him. The reason why the Sagat's Tiger Knee input window is so tiny and it's the motion. He'll keep requesting for a bigger window even though it won't fix it at all.
    Where? I actually tested it, realized the Wiki and you were correct (and the Japanese HSF2 data is either Hyper-only or wrong) and didn't argue, lol. Sorry you were hurt! And yeah, I was wrong there.

As for Moemints and Airlancer's replies, read this.
    Thats because HDR music was taken from artists over at OCRemix, so it's probably right about being amateurish.
    Indeed. But it is fair to state that OCRemix is not responsible for having their music be included in the game. It was up to the developers to decide whether their music was good enough or not. In this case, even if they have a questionable musical taste, the main mistake was to actually sacrifice the product (an ST port) in favor of something absolutely superfluous. HDR was supposed to be the original game + HD or old sprites. New music, rebalance, new moves, all those were ideas from the developers which - arguably - should not sacrifice the goal of the project. Thus, I blame Backbone and Sirlin, not OCRemix. And Capcom: Sirlin wouldn't need to rely on Udon and OCRemix if he was given proper funding.

As for the music, it could be made better simply by changing the timbres of the originals - or better yet, adding an option to choose new or CPS-2 timbres.

Edit: as for the anatomy mistakes from Udon, just check Ryu's arm on this. I give up if it doesn't have any effect on basically every person who sees it and gives it 10 seconds of attention. The comparison is here (use "Ctrl" + "+" till it gets big enough).