How do I get in on an opponent?

HezronHezron Joined: Posts: 26
New player here, playing SSFIV: AE, maining Oni, question is how do I get in on an oppenent and do some offense. When the match starts I have no idea what to do to get in and do some damage besides just straight jumping or dashing towards them which is so dicey. What are good fundamentals, concepts, etc, you guys could share with me about opening up a person's defenses. As of right now all I do really is play D with Oni, which I'm pretty sure is playing him wrong, and try and punish my oppenent on something and then try and do a mixup and hope for the best.

Comments

• doubleohdoubleoh Joined: Posts: 258
    When the match starts walk back and forth while slowly inching towards your opponent. Crouch periodically with increasing frequency as you get closer to the opponent.

I don't know enough about Oni to tell you the optimal ways to get in but I can tell you that can't really apply this 100% of the time to every character. Example: for opponent's that have zoning tools, such as Ryu, get close enough to him while being outside his crouching forward (crouching medium kick) range and neutral jump over any fireballs he throws your way while getting there. When hovering outside his crouching forward range, wait for him to throw a fireball, which is unsafe at that distance, then jump over it and punish him with a jump-in attack.
    SSFIVAE: Abel
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    1. Walk up to them
    2. Hit buttons.

The truth is you've asked the 64 thousand dollar question, getting in on an opponent really is the most important thing (you can only do so much damage on the defense) in a match. The best way to see how to get in is to see what tools your character has.

For example, Oni has a fireball, and he also comes equipped with a great cr.:hp: as an anti-air. Already this is a little trap in itself. When the match starts, chuck plasma and step forward. If they jump, smack them out of the air with the cr.:hp:. If they don't take the bate then you can start giving them some pressure. Because you've stepped up closer now you can press a standing :mk: or perhaps another fireball, get them blocking, this is your goal as Oni (so you can hit them on the backside with that demon slash).

Oni is a hard character to suggest at first, but not the worst one. If I knew more about Oni's gameplan I'd help with more situations - but really you might want to head to Oni's subform and ask a question there like "How do I start pressure" or "gameplan basics".
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭
    You have to stop them from hitting buttons. You have to punish their normals/specials that they throw out. Many of these punishes (notably sweep) lead to oki.

Most people won't sit still for you to walk up and throw them. You need to play footsies and realize the ranges that you can hit them.

You need to be willing to win a footsies fight in order to get a chance to get in. You have to be content with winning with chunks until they give you an opening. If they stop swinging, then you can be more greedy.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • HezronHezron Joined: Posts: 26
    Hey thanks you guys, great advice i'll probably pop on over to the oni subthread as well for additional help.
  • omfgomfg Joined: Posts: 2,028
    1. Walk up to them
    2. Hit buttons.
    this
    New player here, playing SSFIV: AE, maining Oni, question is how do I get in on an oppenent and do some offense. When the match starts I have no idea what to do to get in and do some damage besides just straight jumping or dashing towards them which is so dicey. What are good fundamentals, concepts, etc, you guys could share with me about opening up a person's defenses. As of right now all I do really is play D with Oni, which I'm pretty sure is playing him wrong, and try and punish my oppenent on something and then try and do a mixup and hope for the best.
    probably because you're thinking with a defensive mindset. you're thinking, what can I do to hurt him without getting hurt too. but you dunno how to get in on them, so you revert back to defense. what you need to do is ignore everything you know about defending yourself. try fighting your opponent as if you have infinite HP. you'll be able to develop your own offensive strategies that way.

I'm not good with Oni but what I'd do is do whatever bullshit I could to force their back to the wall. once their back's to the wall they can't run away very easily unless you let them.
    see ya buddy

even if you die, I'll kill you... :badboy:
    <3 don't let life fool you. everything is black or white
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Big Member Joined: Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭

I play Oni too and if they're throwing fireballs and you're far enough away, you can use one of his electric fireballs (hcb+p). They likely won't be expecting it because it hits three times and knocks them down which can give you time to get in.

A riskier trick you can use to catch them off guard is to cancel his forward airdash (qcb+Jab) into an EX Hurricane kick. Again, you should be a good distance away (maybe 3/4 screen away) because this move can be pretty easily punished if the opponent sees it coming.

Oni's optimally played either up close or outside sweep distance so don't hesitate to throw fireballs to try to keep them out and make them come to you.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭
    I play Oni too and if they're throwing fireballs and you're far enough away, you can use one of his electric fireballs (hcb+p). They likely won't be expecting it because it hits three times and knocks them down which can give you time to get in.
    I don't like Oni throwing fireballs at midrange a lot because it seems like they can all be jumped on reaction for a combo.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Big Member Joined: Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like Oni throwing fireballs at midrange a lot because it seems like they can all be jumped on reaction for a combo.

I wouldn't throw an electric ball unless I were just about full screen away. I only really find it useful for fireball spammers who don't know the Oni matchup and think they can nullify it with their own fireballs, hence giving me a knockdown and the chance to get closer.

His regular fireballs come out a little faster and if you charge them you can catch the enemy off guard sometimes. But Oni's normals are so good, and with that dp+k move (dunno what it's called) you can do a lot up close that doesn't involve fireballs.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5