Help me pick a character!

alexiseralexiser Joined: Posts: 13
Im new to sfiv and am trying to pick my main. I was considering ibuki, sakura, juri and fuerte. Which one do you think is easiest to use. I initially tried ibili and gor discouraged when i couldnt get the tsumuji loop even a 10% of the times. Which character is easiest to use? Or which one would have a quick payoff?

Comments

• Geese PantsGeese Pants Baggage Handlers.... Joined: Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im new to sfiv and am trying to pick my main. I was considering ibuki, sakura, juri and fuerte. Which one do you think is easiest to use. I initially tried ibili and gor discouraged when i couldnt get the tsumuji loop even a 10% of the times. Which character is easiest to use? Or which one would have a quick payoff?

Which character is easiest to use?
    That's up to you.
    No one knows you or your general playstyle..............so go through the roster and choose for yourself.
    No matter who you end up choosing..........you are going to have to put in work to get good

Or which one would have a quick payoff?
    Again...........this is and should be up to you.
    If you are looking for quick wins while you are starting out..........especially at this point of the game's life...........you are going to disappointed.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX No more jump back divekick. Joined: Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you will be a Ken player then. That nigga's hand goes on fire so he is automatically the best character in the game. If you want to look like a tier whore, play Cammy.

Otherwise none of those four characters are "easy". Juri requires patience, and common gameplay elements with one or more of your fingers holding down buttons for a extended period of time. With Ibuki you need to learn to vortex (also what the fuck is a tsumuji loop? I have never seen it or heard of it). Sakura has low damage output, and thus is very mixup reliant. With Fuerte, you need to be competent at mind games and god tier at normal/special cancelling to use one his most famous techniques.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • tenshoxxxtenshoxxx Face-to-Fist Technique Joined: Posts: 175
    Sakura has ridicously high damage output. Granted you need some 1f Links, but they are quite easy tbh. Somehow end up hitting them a lot and i don´t even play Sakura.
    SSF4AE
  • ffffffffffffff Joined: Posts: 155
    I would recommend picking any character you like, and making them easy for you to learn. As in, don't start learning Ibuki by learning tsumuji loops. Focus on learning the entirety of the character's moveset and how to apply it, BASIC hit-confirm combos, best ways to use some of your meter... once you have all that down, THEN start working on the more technical side of things.

There's a really good Ibuki player guide in the subforums.
  • 4neqs4neqs thick_thighs Joined: Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (also what the fuck is a tsumuji loop? I have never seen it or heard of it).

It's her tatsu/qcb+k move. You can do a couple of those in just one combo.

"But that's SRK for you. SFIV could have a feature where Chun-Li steps out of the TV and gives the players blowjobs, and some would still complain because she wasn't Sakura." --Azrael(?)
  • MissionSchabernackMissionSchabernack Joined: Posts: 461
    Tsunami loop lol. I get bodies by a lot of good Ibukis, and none of them use this thing. They have a good vortex, and they are good in linking and special canceling the s.mk (?), after crouching light attacks. THAT is what brings u the winnings. Good Vortex and good hitconfirming. U dont need flashy combos, same with rogs upper loop, not really necessary, focus on hitconfirming and good safejumps meaties.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX No more jump back divekick. Joined: Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I read the word loop, my mind interpreted it as something akin to an infinite in marvel involving a fuck ton of her spin kicks. I was just thinking that there is no way in hell I haven't heard of this so called infinite with ibuki. Sakura only has high damage if you can keep the opponent opened up for those 5 hour combos. She doesn't have any moves that single handedly do a ton of damage like Cody's criminal upper
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • alexiseralexiser Joined: Posts: 13
    Which character is easiest to use?
    That's up to you.
    No one knows you or your general playstyle..............so go through the roster and choose for yourself.
    No matter who you end up choosing..........you are going to have to put in work to get good

Or which one would have a quick payoff?
    Again...........this is and should be up to you.
    If you are looking for quick wins while you are starting out..........especially at this point of the game's life...........you are going to disappointed.

Well, I'm a Soul Calibur player and I main Tira and Viola. In other words, mix-up/rushdown style of play. Also, being a Soul Calibur player I'm not used to the tight frames in combos in SFIV. I wanted to know if there was a character with not so strict timing for everything.

Thanks everyone for your help!
    Not really, the strict timing is the game principle in SF4. But you can take characters with mostly 2 or 3 frame links in their bnbs, these are really easy and consistent to do with a little practice. For practicing easy links, I would suggest Ryu, but he is a zoner, not a rushdown character, you need strong fundamentals with Ryu to win, no fancy tricks or vortex here. Sakura relies heavily on her 1 frame links in a kind of a little bit ambitious niveau, same goes for Abel (these two are rushdown chars).
    Otherwise I would suggest Cammy, rushdown char with mostly 2 and 3 frame links in her easy bnbs, but she isn't thaaat mixup heavy, more of a throw/frametrap mixup, while rushing down.
  • MiyuNoKamiMiyuNoKami Megami Joined: Posts: 5
    I suggest Fei Long ^^ easy executions, nice corner pressure and forward movement. Good pokes with LP rekkakens
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon / toolbox addict Joined: Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭
    You can rushdown with Ryu. Exhibit A: Valle. Ryu is OK at everything.
    But yeah, if you like mixups, Ken should be your thing. Relatively easy bread and butter combos, fists that are on freaking fire, and a good dose of mixup potential. As a bonus, not many people play Ken for some reason, so you won't get stuck in a lot of mirror matches.
    Steam/GGPO/Cockatrice: Coffeeling
    KOF13: Iori/Karate/Kim/Benimaru | 3S: Chun/Akuma
    Improving reaction speed in fighting games / Kayin
    Info packet for learning fighting games and/or starting KOF13
    I suggest Fei Long ^^ easy executions, nice corner pressure and forward movement. Good pokes with LP rekkakens

I find his hitconfirms quite hard as a beginner, his crouching light attack links are 1 frame links (unplinkable, except for blinking, but hey, this is a beginner thread).

cr.lk ~ cr.lp xx rekka (1 frame link)
    cr.lp ~ cr.lp xx rekka (1 frame link)

Ofc. you can overcome this problematic by using the standing lp, which gives you a 3 frame link, but u will have problems as a beginner with crouching opponents, Balrog and other chargers.

In principle you can begin with whatever character you like, but I think Ken and Ryu are both good characters to learn the fundamentals of the game (hitconfirming out of light attacks into special moves, safejumping, meaty pressure, throw/frametrap mixup: These are the things I would focus on, as well as matchup knowledge of course!). I for myself started with Bison and are now playing Abel, but if I would start the game anew, I would definitely start with Ryu, best character in my opinion to learn the basics of the game (subjective).
  • PapinguimPapinguim Joined: Posts: 308
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    What is your playstyle?
    It almost smacks of elitism but I like the saying that "new players do not have a playstyle". It's important to experiment around to find what ends up working best for you.
  • ThengeanceThengeance Joined: Posts: 6
    I have to agree with Gordon. My more experienced friends constantly complain about how difficult it can be to play new people who are unpredictable and lack any type of logic to their game.

That being said, as a beginner myself, I'll leave you with the advice they gave me: Pick Ryu, Ken, Guile, or Bison, focus on learning spacing, fundamentals and execution, and use online play to learn, not win. I'm learning in taking my baby steps that if you treat this game as win and lose rather than as a path of learning and improvement, you will drop it in a heartbeat after the never-ending strings of online smack-downs most of us beginners receive.
  • klawwklaww Dirtiest Grawgin Joined: Posts: 189
    (I know this may sound incredibly nooby)
    I just look at the roster and pick the one that i like best visually. Because since you have to spend so much time with the character, might as well be one you like visually or background wise. Thats how i pick my characters in any fighter, LoL, or FF x)
    And after you pick one like that, and don't like their playstyle, go to your second favorite, and continue on.
    Terribad.
    PSN: KlawwG
    Steam: Klaww213 hit me up anytime. :3