Lost 2k of BP on my Guile, but not really sure why.

BigOlePappyBigOlePappy Joined: Posts: 323
I got to 5k early December and I remember just constantly winning all my matches while 1) on the phone with relatives planning Christmas. 2) having relatives over planning Christmas.

Sitting at 5k I was pretty content (my goal was 6k-7k) and decided to just chill and do some holiday stuff and play Borderlands. When I picked it back up closer to Christmas I have done nothing but lost BP on my Guile...I don't know why either. I am down to 3k. I don't really feel like I'm doing anything different, if anything I am probably more technical in my execution, yet I am losing more and more matches.The craziest part is that I did most of the online ranked matches to 5k on the phone half-assed paying attention.

I can't put my finger on why I'm losing so much. My internet connection is a little more sketchy lately, but not sure if the cause.
MVC1: Strider/Gambit
MVC3: C.Viper/Mag/Morrigan
UMVC3: C.Viper/Doom/Strider
XvsSF: Gambit/Charlie
Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.

Comments

• Black ConvoyBlack Convoy Joined: Posts: 242 ✭✭
    Sounds like it could be ring rust.
  • DanDanDanDan Yeah! Joined: Posts: 1,209 ✭✭
    Keep playing?
    That's how people get all these insane amount of points....
    KOF and AE 2012
  • BigOlePappyBigOlePappy Joined: Posts: 323
    Keep playing?
    That's how people get all these insane amount of points....

I'm losing basically every other match, if not more. I wanna say its ring rust, but I pick up dusty ole UMVC3 and go on win sprees.
  • DanDanDanDan Yeah! Joined: Posts: 1,209 ✭✭
    I'm losing basically every other match, if not more. I wanna say its ring rust, but I pick up dusty ole UMVC3 and go on win sprees.
    Like I said, keep playing...
    KOF and AE 2012
    Is it abnormal to up and down several K of BP?
  • TerlyonTerlyon Cammy4Life Joined: Posts: 13
    BP becomes much harder to increase beyond 5K. Once you hit B rank, you start losing far more than you did previously on losses, but you don't gain it any faster on wins. A lot of people you see with high BP but low PP deliberately tank their PP ranking with other characters, and then play low ranked people to boost their BP now that they are matched with people they can consistently beat. Why they bother is beyond me, but w/e makes you feel good about yourself.
    It could be my connection, after today I'm certain that its worsened.
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice Sonic Boom! Joined: Posts: 1,824 ✭✭
    It started by caring about these points to begin with.
    Supercade, XBL and GGPO tags: Projectjustice
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice Sonic Boom! Joined: Posts: 1,824 ✭✭
    It started by caring about these points to begin with.
    Supercade, XBL and GGPO tags: Projectjustice
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 792
    BP is actually not that difficult to gain.
    You can lose 70% of your matches and still get 12k BP easily tbh.
    I have seen 15k BP players with only 2k PP.
  • divinemarkpizzadivinemarkpizza Joined: Posts: 297
    yeah
    bp only gets pretty difficult to gain after 15 k bp
    then you will need around a 60% winrate to get to 20k i think
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭
    judging from the title one would think that it was a server error on Microsoft's part and you were punished with subtracting 2000 points from one match!
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • Ryuken9Ryuken9 Joined: Posts: 504
    BP is actually not that difficult to gain.
    You can lose 70% of your matches and still get 12k BP easily tbh.

No you can't, dumbass statement
    SSF4 AE : Seth/Ken/Sagat/Evil Ryu

PSN is full of pussies
    Yeah something is wrong. I have fixed my connection issues yet I'm down to upper 2k BP which is insane considering I was at 5k+ in December.
    Its like somebody doing calculus then steadily not being able to do long division for no reason.

Is this normal to fluctuate 3k BP?
    The craziest part is I'm going on streaks in UMVC3 ranked still....yet I play that game almost half as much as SF4.
  • JulperoJulpero Joined: Posts: 759 ✭✭
    How much is your win rate now? I think you can get to 5k with a 50% win-rate but after that you'll need to win more since the points start scaling.
    Gfwl: jholtta
    Psn: julpro

ssf4 ae 2012: Yang, Gen
    kof 13: Kensou, EX Kyo, Ryo, Takuma, Hwa Jai, Chin
  • littlescumbaglittlescumbag Joined: Posts: 295
    How much is your win rate now? I think you can get to 5k with a 50% win-rate but after that you'll need to win more since the points start scaling.
    i think even 40% is enough
    GFWL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

XBL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

PSN : LittleScumbag : stoped playing here

Steam : LittleScumbag : failing to improve at KOF here
  • farhanniusfarhannius Joined: Posts: 172
    i think even 40% is enough
    Yeh around 40 to 45% should be enough for 5k. Beyond 5k you'll need to start hitting 50%, and beyond 6500k you'd have to start getting to 55-58%. That's my experience of it anyway
  • littlescumbaglittlescumbag Joined: Posts: 295
    Yeh around 40 to 45% should be enough for 5k. Beyond 5k you'll need to start hitting 50%, and beyond 6500k you'd have to start getting to 55-58%. That's my experience of it anyway
    every retard can get to B rank , but then the things gen a litle more serious...They have to have a resonable skill lvl to get to B+ , and thats where our buddy here fails
    i didnt wannt to be an ass and tell him that straight away , but most probably he sucks verry hard at the game ...he got to 5k and thought he could progres using the same scrub tactics that got him to 5k but that aint gonna happen... he'll have to sit,train hard,understand and study matchups if he wannts to get to B+ or more
    GFWL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

XBL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

PSN : LittleScumbag : stoped playing here

Steam : LittleScumbag : failing to improve at KOF here
  • BERSERKERRRBERSERKERRR mathemagician Joined: Posts: 80
    There're so many potential reasons.

I mean, you could be facing a set of opponents whose tendencies are stuff you are weak at, instead of it being a glaring error on your end. You could be facing people with a higher-than-average discrepancy in terms of latency, which messes up your timings more. Maybe you're just facing a better pool of players than during your previous active period.

But mostly in games with numerical 'skill' ratings I see people say something like this, because of an insufficient understanding of the potential statistical distribution of points. Because, just like above, OP could've gotten to his 5K by consistently playing and eventually facing a series of players with particular tendencies/skill levels that could allow you to get to a higher rating than your 'overall' capabilities would allow you, and thus give an elevated sense of skill as most people like to think they're AT LEAST at the skill their 'score' says.

Just start thinking that points don't matter, look for people who want to play proper SF, and just dodge random online-tactics people. Then analyze your play, and see what you're weak at. I'd recommend focusing on individual parts of your gameplay that's weak. I mean, most of the time you should at least be able to see what mistakes you actually made that led to your loss, and then just work on it in appropriate environments.
    retsu go justin
  • BlueberryBlueberry Joined: Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Also, maybe when you used to play, there weren't that many people that knew how to play the game properly. Now that some time has passed, people that got into fighter with AE have learned how to play better and can beat your ass. So go hit some endless, check if you are still good (if you ever were), train and after a fair amount of matches should you try out ranked.
    Also, maybe when you used to play, there weren't that many people that knew how to play the game properly. Now that some time has passed, people that got into fighter with AE have learned how to play better and can beat your ass. So go hit some endless, check if you are still good (if you ever were), train and after a fair amount of matches should you try out ranked.

Well the time that passed was from Dec 2012 to now so I doubt the community/metagame has grown that much since then. I think, honestly, deep down I have lost interest in it. Like before I would try really hard in all my matches like they were tournaments, get match up stats, ect.....now I really just care mostly about execution and BP.

To be positive though, my execution is a lot more crisp than when I had higher BP.
  • DrGulagDrGulag Joined: Posts: 199
    I have some difficulty in understanding how BP works (pretty sad considering I've been around since vanilla lol).

I suppose player points tend to increase rapidly in the beginning and then basically stop when you have reached your level. But BP's do not increase the same way depending on the opponents BP? Is it just a steady increase after every win and only a slight hit after a loss before you reach something crazy like 15-20k?

Thanks for any possible clarification, I can obviously just see how it works the next time I play.