which game is easiest to get started on?

klawwklaww Dirtiest GrawginJoined: Posts: 189
I recently decided I wanted to get serious about fighting games. I bought most all of the big name fighters recently, and im ready to dive and start learning combos and mix-ups and all that good stuff. Which game is best to get started on, coming from the point of before i only buttons mashed? maybe whichever has the best tutorial or easiest learning curve or something.
I have Skullgirls (which im probably best at right now), SSFIVAE, UMvC3, SFxT, Tekken 6, SC4 and BlazBlue CS.
I dont know if that is an easily answered question, i just wanted to learn fighting games and wanted to know which one.
thanks for your time. :)
EDIT: oh, and the new mortal kombat. and SF2. i have those also.
Terribad.
PSN: KlawwG
Steam: Klaww213 hit me up anytime. :3

Comments

• VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭
    The "easiest" game to start out with is one where you have a huge community (= bigger likelihood to meet other beginners, easy access to tutorials, etc) and an actual way to play at all times (= playable online and/or local scene for that particular game).
    SF4 is probably your best bet.

Though personally - Rather than what the easiest game to start out with, I'd look at what's the most fun for me.
    If you're currently the best at SG, I'd assume it's the one you played the most so far, so probably the one you like the most. Why not just stick with that, then?
    If you want to become any good at any FG, it will always be a rocky road - the first steps being a bit harder in one game won't make any difference in the long run.

Also: Smaller communities usually are very happy with new people and embrace them - personal teaching sessions and the like. This isn't necessarily not happening in bigger games, but in general it's less homely and you're more of "another guy".
    Why.
  • klawwklaww Dirtiest Grawgin Joined: Posts: 189
    That makes sense. I'll most likely look into that one, i just haven't tried all the characters yet.

I haven't necessarily played SG the most. Probably MvC3 when it first came out, i was rather good at that, just haven't played it in a while.
    I was just wondering if there was one that was specifically easier to start out on. If it's just a case of just pick one and stick with it, i'll probably go SG and UMvC3.
    Thanks for the advice. :)
    If there are sections for both of those games on srk, I'll just look at those while i'm waiting for my sanwa buttons to get here. :D
    Terribad.
  • Chukz15Chukz15 Low Tier Option select is the future. Joined: Posts: 488 ✭✭
    Stay the hell away from Marvel 3, if you like playing at all, it was the first modern fighting game I played and I could literally put the controller down and see my character die, street fighter may be hard as tits for me, but it isnt as much bullshit as marvel.
    PSN:Chukz15
    GFWL: Darkerfire706
    Skill level: D tier
    Injustice: Superman, Batman
    Mahvel:Nova/Vergil/Hawkeye alt Wolverine/Doom/Vergil
    SSFIV: Dan/Balrog

Really? That was the first fighter i really got into and within a couple of weeks i could do some good air combos switching characters in mid air and including x-factor. granted, i was no pro, but i could stand a chance online.
    Terribad.
  • TonyTheLionTonyTheLion YOU GOIN TO JAIL NOW! Joined: Posts: 43
    One problem may be getting used to other fighting games after MvC3, since there were only L, M, and H instead of 3 punches and 3 kicks. MvC3 was somewhat meant to appeal to "casual players" but in trying that it made the game way easier for everyone else who was used to MvC2
    I don't always say "that's what she said." But when I do. She did.
    Nah, I may be completely nooby to the competitive side of fighters and being good at them, but i still play skullgirls just fine, so a matter of different button set up isnt a problem.
    Terribad.
  • TonyTheLionTonyTheLion YOU GOIN TO JAIL NOW! Joined: Posts: 43
    It can become a problem if you try to take on too many games at once. If you have all of those games, you should try to learn them. Go to training mode and try out some command list combos or specials (depends on which game) You may not learn them all but you'll get used to timing and inputs that can help overall. You'll also probably get a feel for which one you want to go deeper into.
    I don't always say "that's what she said." But when I do. She did.
  • wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 460
    SF4 is good for beginners, but ultimately you should just play the game that you think is the most fun regardless of complexity. You won't care if its hard if you're having a good time playing it.
    PSN: wiredgod
    BB: Carl
    P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia
  • SkilledShinobiSkilledShinobi FINISH HIM! Joined: Posts: 34
    I agree with wiredgod --->
    You won't care if its hard if you're having a good time playing it.
    Thanks for the help all. :)
    wiredgod, I know i would just end up playing the one i have most fun with, but from a complete noob standpoint, I didnt know which would be the best for basics. So maybe i'll screw around in SFIV then when i get better focus on SG or something.
    Terribad.
  • wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 460
    I found persona 4 helped me with playing SG by forcing me to learn how to IAD. The 9-6 joystick movement allows almost instant overheads with Filia, Val, and Ms Fortune. It's much faster than pressing two punch buttons to air dash
    PSN: wiredgod
    BB: Carl
    P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing AAAAAA! Joined: Posts: 4,311 mod
    SF4 and Marvel are both good choices. Don't listen to the scrub salt about marvel.

Like vulpes said, the most important thing is having a community to play with.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • JacopeXJacopeX "Veras el color rojo cuando termine contigo." Joined: Posts: 414
    Persona 4 Arena.

Great game to start with. Recommending it to friends who are interested in getting into fighters.
    ST/Alpha 3/CVS2/SSF4AE2012: Claw
    XBL/GGPO: JacopeX (currently learning how to Fightstick...sorry. =( )
    http://jacopexfgs.blogspot.com/ All my mains and fighters I play....
  • KILLA_Nemesis_KILLA_Nemesis_ I'm nice until you make me mean. Joined: Posts: 46
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,336 ✭✭
    Easiest to get into would be the one with the best community around you.

Doesn't mean biggest, means earnest.....est? (most earnest, go for sincere?)

Out of the games you listed, SG and BB, both have comprehensive training modes that will teach you near everything you need to know about the game and it's mechanics, you won't be stuck asking "what just happened" for the most part, because there are either sound or visual indicators in BB's case.
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
    SF4 and Marvel are both good choices. Don't listen to the scrub salt about marvel.

Like vulpes said, the most important thing is having a community to play with.

Scrub salt? Really?

• Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing AAAAAA! Joined: Posts: 4,311 mod
    Yes, really. Do you have anything meaningful to post or are you trying to collect warnings?
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    Yes, really. Do you have anything meaningful to post or are you trying to collect warnings?

Warnings for what i did nothing wrong? I posted my opinion based on the experienceI had with marvel 3 and suggested SSFIV. So really if you give me a warning becuase you dont like what im saying, then you are just being an asshole for no reason.

• ImposabearImposabear Joined: Posts: 25
    I would play skull girls first out of any fighting game in the world. Skull girls will teach you how to play a fighting game. I got better at most fighting games after playing skull girls.
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, the easiest game to get into is housecleaning because whenever you're at home you're basically already in it. Every time I'm about to sit down and play anything these days, I see the mess around me and I'm like, "Ahh... damn it, I should probably take care of this first."
  • SynchroSynchro Joined: Posts: 25
    as for games to start off with i cant tell you because each games different for example a lot of people find KOF13 to be very hard to play but for me its the easiest game in the world because im used to it while others say AE is great for beginners i cant help but fumble in the game because its so slow and clunky to me. honestly though i think you shouldnt find a specific game to play rather work on youre fundamentals like footsies, approaches, pressure, spacing, zoning, rushing, inputs, ect. all the tools that will carry on to whatever fighting game you play.
    Warnings for what i did nothing wrong? I posted my opinion based on the experienceI had with marvel 3 and suggested SSFIV. So really if you give me a warning becuase you dont like what im saying, then you are just being an asshole for no reason.
    Well, that was a legitimate post, your opinion, however 'scrub' it was viewed. You get the warning for the post that just says 'really?' not constructive.
    I would play skull girls first out of any fighting game in the world. Skull girls will teach you how to play a fighting game. I got better at most fighting games after playing skull girls.
    Thanks for the tip. I have been playing a bit of SG since i got my stick. Mostly just beating the storyline for trophies, though, still practice learning execution and stuff.
    Terribad.
    as for games to start off with i cant tell you because each games different for example a lot of people find KOF13 to be very hard to play but for me its the easiest game in the world because im used to it while others say AE is great for beginners i cant help but fumble in the game because its so slow and clunky to me. honestly though i think you shouldnt find a specific game to play rather work on youre fundamentals like footsies, approaches, pressure, spacing, zoning, rushing, inputs, ect. all the tools that will carry on to whatever fighting game you play.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it is all just basic fundamentals across all games.
    Maybe cause I remember starting out in guitar hero, I was thought to ask in the first place, what with people saying start with 2 cause the engine and this and that then work to 1, etc.
    Terribad.
  • SynchroSynchro Joined: Posts: 25
    not sure i fully understood that... lol but regardless just focus on fundamentals here in SRK we have a bunch of threads explaining fundamentals and how to be a better player overall. also as a final note if youre serious about this and want to be a professional competitive gamer just remember the road is long and difficult but once ya get the end the rewards will come flooding in so take your time and dont get discouraged because no one becomes a professional player over night theres so much depth to this genre that it takes years to fully absorb.
    I worded that funny. I guess I assumed since in the Guitar Hero community they recommend you to start out a certain game cause the engine is looser, that there was a game of that nature in fighting community. :P
    Thanks for the tip. As I've been to tournaments for other types of games(and won), I know how much you have to practice and how hard it is, but I can make that commitment. :)
    Terribad.
  • the7kthe7k Kitty Pride. Joined: Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the posters above - play what you love, and everything else will fall into place.
    PSN: the_7k. XBL: the7k.
    http://www.twitch.tv/the7k - Turn on, Tune in, Drop combos.