Capcom Fighting Jam: What Could had been?

GAPGAP Joined: Posts: 59
While it is useless to dwell on the past and what is done is done, I cannot help but think about the many ways this game could had been better. One things that Capcom is known for its 'If ain't broke, don't fix it' policy when it comes to their games and Capcom never messes with the formula of any of their fighting games even if they are redundant. This was going to be their last 2D title before going to 3D completely and you think with something like this they would put all their efforts into making a fantastic game. What fans got instead was pasted up concoction with no real thought on how it was going play out.

For one thing the characters aren't all balanced, some characters can destroy everyone else especially the SF3 characters. Capcom could had added in every character from all their respective beat 'em up franchises including Final Fight and updated their sprites to CPS3 graphics while giving new moves or supers. Could imagine classic heroes like Mike Hagger, Strider Hyu, Guy or evne the entire SF2 cast in CPS3 graphics? They could had updated their movesets to fit the new generation like they did for Ryu, Ken and Chun Li but instead they brought over the sprites form the previous games and some of them look really dated. Even if they were going to use the same sprites form previous games, they could had an option where they could 'regress' some of the new characters like Urien to Alpha style graphics or adapted his moves to the Alpha style. I always how certain characters would fare if they played in SF2 style or how past characters could be adapted to SF3 style and gameplay.

It would also been nice if they had put in some Easter eggs where you could see of the design notes or even some artwork from the previous games. They could have had a training mode that not only shows what you need to do execute some of the characters moves but explain how to them without confusing new players or irritating the veterans. They could have had a comprehesive guide where they explain how certain moves are executed, why they chose such motions for the characters, how the character plays or even how certain mechanics such as the Alpha Counters, Parrying, Taunts etc. work. We already websites for those already but it would had been nice if they put it in there. They could had added the final bosses from every game and beefed them up to provide some challenge for players. They also could had added in some sort of boss rush where you have to fight every boss from every series.

They could had done a lot of things with this game but it felt like they didn't even try to make into a good fighter. I had seen what Capcom could do over the years but Fighting Jam is a real spit in the face for a lot of fans. I really wish Capcom could had made some effort into what was going to be their last 2D fighting game.

Comments