Tips for grinding online without getting Salty

Rengar21Rengar21 Joined: Posts: 52
Any tips? I try to keep my cool and just play online for practice but when I get a loss or two from some shit most wouldn't dare try offline I get the inclination to quit. What do you guys do to stay calm and keep playing?

Comments

• toddler316toddler316 Drunk Shit Hustler Joined: Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I drink.
    Like alot.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
    Russell Crowe: This is Tianamen Square. Lots of good fightin' has gone on here throughout the years.These China men can grow to over five feet tall, and in a fight, are known to kick with their legs.

As the infamous Bruce Lee said: "To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person."

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play offline. And don't be a Crying Bryan.
    STOMP!
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    Play offline with friends.
    Play online with friends.

Give yourself a set amount of "actual matches" a night. Perhaps do an hour of endless, and then give yourself 10 matches of ranked.

Or just avoid ranked because people are there for points, not really for bettering themselves most times.

But find some local friends, or at least some friends with good ping. It gets a lot better when you can discuss what happened with someone who isn't a dick.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,412 mod
    people play dickish in offline sessions too. check your ego and your emotions. if you can't handle the stress of video games see a therapist
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Rengar21Rengar21 Joined: Posts: 52
    Crying bryan haha.

Typical FGC responses as per usual I get it though. Thanks for the input (Gordon) I guess I was looking for more then "suck it up".
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 743
    substance abuse
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
  • yllib2yllib2 Joined: Posts: 141
    Seriously though, get stupid drunk and play fuerte.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  • A-LXA-LX Joined: Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Just wondering, but how would you define
    some shit most wouldn't dare try offline
    My Youtube Channel
    XBL/Steam: MetsuGadoken

USF4: Sakura, Poison, Rose
    P4A: Yu Narukami
    BBCP: Valkenhayn
    UNIEL: Waldstein
  • VolcanicAkuma55VolcanicAkuma55 Joined: Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭✭
    i personally play ranked just bcuz i dont feel like waiting in an endless lobby (except for PxG Live Stream lobby, but even then not rly)
    SF main: Akuma
    not wannabe, GUNNA BE pro. just need more practice.
    FIX AKUMA AND GOUKEN'S MUSIC IN USF4. WE DONT NEED 3 VERSIONS OF RYU'S THEME
  • A-LXA-LX Joined: Posts: 445 ✭✭
    ^Just create a 2 person lobby, you usually don't have to wait very long to get someone to play you, and afterwards you can rematch him right away
    My Youtube Channel
    XBL/Steam: MetsuGadoken

USF4: Sakura, Poison, Rose
    P4A: Yu Narukami
    BBCP: Valkenhayn
    UNIEL: Waldstein
  • ThengeanceThengeance Joined: Posts: 6
    Look at online as a learning experience. Do the things that they "dare not do offline" occur in specific situations? Are their actions based on low health desperation? What can you do with spacing/baiting to counter these wild card maneuvers?

I constantly pull wake-up h.srk's with ken when I'm against an opponent who is bent on pressuring wake-up. Safe? No. Effective? Sometimes. I will agree that when someone's tourney life is on the line, they probably won't take such reckless risks, but that's exactly why you should study and be prepared for them; they know you're not expecting it. One of my buddies knows this is my current MO and will pressure the first knockdown, then bait the wake-up if he gets me again.

Chess masters and poker players can teach us a great deal about mind games and risk taking.
  • alpha_counter13alpha_counter13 satsui no hado.. Joined: Posts: 31
    remember most of us play steet figher/video games as a form of recreation.. i believe i'm a solid "C+" evil ryu player that's reached a "B" rank 3 just times.. that said, i can't hold onto a "B" rank to save my life!! try to take the emotional aspect out of online play & let yourself have fun just competing.. a legit commitment to "training mode" is helpful.. as in working on things you don't do well & not things you already do..
  • mapleleafs791mapleleafs791 Blockstring.com Joined: Posts: 794 ✭✭✭
    My advice is simple

1. Dont play to win. play to improve. If you play to win you will lose to people you could probably beat in a FT10 and get frustrated. similarly you will beat people that will fuck you up in a FT10 occasionally and inflate your ego.

2. Ignore ranking. you dont know how good someone is based on rank. they could be grinding on that 1 char all day or playing a random char for fun. treat everyone seriously.

3. [SF4 exclusive] Assume everyone is smart/stupid when you play them. when you are frame trapping/doing oki be safe at first to test if they mash and then test the more "intelligent/advanced" setups
    XBL GT: Chilaisho
    SSF4 AE 2012: Cody, Juri
    SFxT: Law, Kazuya
    UMvC3: Vergil, Morrigan, Doom
    Hearthstone [Yea i know...]: SpoR | 1589
    www.blockstring.com