Shuma-Gorath changes for UMVC3 2013 update?

Ma$ter M@cMa$ter M@c Mac ChappyJoined: Posts: 23
All I think Shuma needs is a teleport. Everything else about him is ok. That's the only thing he's lacking. I mean Dr. Strange and Dormmaru can do it. Shuma is the only one from their universe who doesn't have teleport even though we know Shuma can.

Comments

• DrkD23DrkD23 Have at Thee! Joined: Posts: 234
    All I think Shuma needs is a teleport. Everything else about him is ok. That's the only thing he's lacking. I mean Dr. Strange and Dormmaru can do it. Shuma is the only one from their universe who doesn't have teleport even though we know Shuma can.

technically his backdash is a teleport...

maybe he shouldn't fucking taunt after his hypers and commad grab
    UMvC3: Thor/Dormammu/Iron-Man, Tron/Thor/Ghost Rider
    SSFIVAE: Rose
    P4A: Labrys/Chie
    Injustice: Cyborg
  • Ma$ter M@cMa$ter M@c Mac Chappy Joined: Posts: 23
    No I mean a teleport that allows him to stay near the character. He has everything else but that and it makes keep away characters work well against him.
  • RokmodeRokmode preppy asked me to change my title rip meaty mud flap Joined: Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes just what this game needs
    more teleports
    THIS WEBSITE SUCKS GIANT HORSE @#$@#$@!@$
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
    yes just what this game needs
    more teleports
    We all know Shuma can do it and he needs it more than the others.
  • DrkD23DrkD23 Have at Thee! Joined: Posts: 234
    you couldn't even use his teleports unless they were stupid like doctor strange and he has shit buttons too
    UMvC3: Thor/Dormammu/Iron-Man, Tron/Thor/Ghost Rider
    SSFIVAE: Rose
    P4A: Labrys/Chie
    Injustice: Cyborg
  • figuer39figuer39 Spiritual Groove Joined: Posts: 346
    Yeah, Shuma-Gorath would definitely benefit from a teleport. Would make sense for him to have one, too.

But without adding any new moves to him, these are the changes that I would give him if Capcom hired me to buff him.

- 100K more health.
    - Triple jump and double air dash, like Viewtiful Joe can.
    - Mystic Ray is a Shoryuken motion. Seriously, the charge motion makes this movement virtually unusable outside of his assist.
    - Mystic Stare is now a reverse Shoryuken motion.
    - Mystic Stare now has new effects: L version's eyes drain health while they are latched on, M version's eyes drain meter and H version is the explosive eyes we have now.
    - The explosive eyes don't disappear even is Shuma-Gorath gets hit, which means that they would work like a "combo stopper," kinda like Hidden Missiles do now.
    - If you successfully parry a projectile with Devitalization, the move drains one full meter bar from the opponent and gives it to you.
    - Chaos Dimension now does 100K more damage.

And there you go, now he is a decent threat, like he should have been from the start. He still has the wonky comboability and low damage, but he has more strategic tools, and a way of getting in.
  • masuhdunkillyallmasuhdunkillyall Show me your moves! Joined: Posts: 123
    Yeah, Shuma-Gorath would definitely benefit from a teleport. Would make sense for him to have one, too.

But without adding any new moves to him, these are the changes that I would give him if Capcom hired me to buff him.

- 100K more health.
    - Triple jump and double air dash, like Viewtiful Joe can.
    - Mystic Ray is a Shoryuken motion. Seriously, the charge motion makes this movement virtually unusable outside of his assist.
    - Mystic Stare is now a reverse Shoryuken motion.
    - Mystic Stare now has new effects: L version's eyes drain health while they are latched on, M version's eyes drain meter and H version is the explosive eyes we have now.
    - The explosive eyes don't disappear even is Shuma-Gorath gets hit, which means that they would work like a "combo stopper," kinda like Hidden Missiles do now.
    - If you successfully parry a projectile with Devitalization, the move drains one full meter bar from the opponent and gives it to you.
    - Chaos Dimension now does 100K more damage.

And there you go, now he is a decent threat, like he should have been from the start. He still has the wonky comboability and low damage, but he has more strategic tools, and a way of getting in.

All of those changes taken together would definitely make him broken....but I like it. Shit, throw in a teleport too.
    Shuma/Dorm/Hawkeye
    Joe/Doom/Hawkeye

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • VASagaVASaga Not Yet Strange! Let Them Wait Joined: Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    I'd give him a safe recovering teleport that always puts him in the middle jump height of the screen.
    Nothing amazing but it would make him unique.
    Throw in a triple dash as well.
    Maybe even a move where he shoots eyeballs straight up that rain down & explode on the ground. Call it Mystic Rain
    "I must have ascended to a higher plane of thinking than most because I play Dr Strange"
  • Statler 76Statler 76 Joined: Posts: 13
    if you give Shuma a faster 8 way airdash, and possibly remove the charge motions for normal commands, he becomes much more viable already
    All of those changes taken together would definitely make him broken....but I like it. Shit, throw in a teleport too.
    I don't think they would make him broken. When you consider the amount of bullshit that other characters can do already, I think that he would be Upper tier at best. He would just wind up being GENUINELY good, as opposed to the barely playable he is right now. Plus, even with those big buffs, he would still be an awkward and technical character.

Oh, and parrying projectiles with Devitalization is already pretty much suicide, so you might as well get a big reward for it.
    I don't think they would make him broken. When you consider the amount of bullshit that other characters can do already, I think that he would be Upper tier at best. He would just wind up being GENUINELY good, as opposed to the barely playable he is right now. Plus, even with those big buffs, he would still be an awkward and technical character.

Oh, and parrying projectiles with Devitalization is already pretty much suicide, so you might as well get a big reward for it.
    Don't get me wrong, I like and agree with some of those ideas. The one I just dont like is the eyes staying on even if he is hit...if the eyes didnt disappear when hit he could literally do anything he wanted with impunity; shuma's mixups are already pretty damn good when you train an opponent to stay on the ground and can get them closer to the corner. IMO, the motion changes would already be enough of a step in improving shuma's range and approach game.
    Shuma/Dorm/Hawkeye
    Joe/Doom/Hawkeye

• GREEKGREEK Ryu's been smoking that shit Joined: Posts: 556
    better airdash (maybe give him his back airdash since that's gdlk when you wiff j.l)
    make mystic smash cancel into mystic smash air for better mobility
    make mystic smash hitbox bigger
    buff chaos dimension somehow
    give mystic ray a second function that focuses and locks on when it hits the opponent causing long untech time and increased damage (can still have mystic ray combo's)
    give him some better kind of mobility, maybe something like one time town portals from diablo series when you mystic smash through it.
    GUILTYGEARXRD HOLY SMOKES
  • FXPunisherFXPunisher Joined: Posts: 2
    I would make Hyper Mystic Smash and Hyper Mystic Ray start a bit faster to make OTG easier and increase the damage of both hypers.

Don't get me wrong, I like and agree with some of those ideas. The one I just dont like is the eyes staying on even if he is hit...if the eyes didnt disappear when hit he could literally do anything he wanted with impunity; shuma's mixups are already pretty damn good when you train an opponent to stay on the ground and can get them closer to the corner. IMO, the motion changes would already be enough of a step in improving shuma's range and approach game.

Well, I know that that idea sounds broken on paper, but think that Hidden Missiles already exist in this game. All Dr. Doom needs to do is press back plus Heavy, and he already has set up a combo stopper that allows him to do whatever he wants. Shuma-Gorath would need to CONNECT his Mystic Stare in order to get that, and connecting is much harder than pressing back and Heavy.
    Mystic Ray should be a backwards hadoken motion and Mystic Stare should be shoryuken motion. His teleport could be down down special. 100K as well. Also a better wave dash and a double air dash. Mystic stare as a assist should keep the eyes on the opponent.
  • Mr.PaVy-RDMr.PaVy-RD Joined: Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Shuma's normals are actually pretty godlike if you know how to use them. He is low tier because he is simply poorly designed overall. He has a weak set of specials that all of a huge drawback. His command grab has a shit ton of recovery, mystic ray is too slow to beat zoning, mystic stare cannot be used if your opponent gets hit, and mystic smash is far too fragile and loses to grabs and even fucking jabs"
    I block better in Marvel than i do in Streetfighter :(

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Ae2012-Yun/Yang/Seth/Ryu/Cody/Dudley
    Exactly why he needs a teleport to use his normals.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath the crackdown Joined: Posts: 6,614
    edited March 2013
    I've been thinking about this a lot and at the end of the day I think there are only two tweaks shuma needs to be a viable threat in the current game: better priority/hitbox on mystic smash (should be chicken-block punishable, but NOT throwable), and air S drops opponents straight down on hit. Mystic smash buff would help his movement problems without resorting to outlandish gimmicks like teleport or tri jump, and air S buff would solve his awful midscreen game and inability to capitalize on happy bdays.

Other stuff I would recommend for a balance patch (that is never coming) that affects the whole game would be: He should have more health (why should he have less than Tron?), chaos dimension damage boosted by 100,000 (im not joking) and mashable anywhere, and devitalization changed from hcb to qcb and the counter becomes instant recovery like a parry.
    Post edited by P. Gorath on
  • soniczero9soniczero9 Joined: Posts: 36
    P. Gorath wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this a lot and at the end of the day I think there are only two tweaks shuma needs to be a viable threat in the current game: better priority/hitbox on mystic smash (should be chicken-block punishable, but NOT throwable), and air S drops opponents straight down on hit. Mystic smash buff would help his movement problems without resorting to outlandish gimmicks like teleport or tri jump, and air S buff would solve his awful midscreen game and inability to capitalize on happy bdays.

Other stuff I would recommend for a balance patch (that is never coming) that affects the whole game would be: He should have more health (why should he have less than Tron?), chaos dimension damage boosted by 100,000 (im not joking) and mashable anywhere, and devitalization changed from hcb to qcb and the counter becomes instant recovery like a parry.

The first two are things I would have loved to see from the beginning. At the very least make Mystic Smash invulnerable to throws. Nothing is more annoying that getting THROWN out of that attack. Air S should drop them straight down also. Chaos Dimension should be mashable anywhere. Why isn't it? Is this just an oversight or what? I have yet to figure out any reason at all why it isn't.

A teleport would be nice but given some of Shumas tools, his teleport would either have to be really slow or something like Dantes where you can only teleport to a particular spot.
    soniczero9 wrote: »
    Chaos Dimension should be mashable anywhere. Why isn't it? Is this just an oversight or what? I have yet to figure out any reason at all why it isn't.
    It's either an oversight/glitch in the finished product or they decided during testing that it was too poweful/broken(???) and removed it. It was obviously intended at some point as the strategy guide talks about being able to do it
    I heavily agree with your first two changes P.Gorath, but I would also like to see j.A cancellable by mystic smash once it touches the ground, because as it is, if it's blocked you're gonna get punished by every single member of the cast. I also feel the instant recovery on devitalization if a projectile is absorbed is necessary because as it is the move is pretty worthless unless your playing against somebody who is completely clueless.
    I know I've posted this before but I had an idea where if you absorbed a projectile with devitalization you had a short window of time to press l, m, or h and shuma would teleport to a tracking location (think dormammu's tele locations). Just use the chaos dimension animation where shuma crawls out of the hole
    Shuma/Dorm/Hawkeye
    Joe/Doom/Hawkeye

yeah some kind of teleport counter with devitalization would be very interesting...cool idea
  • twinxtwinx Joined: Posts: 39
    or you could just give his mystic stare a ceiling bounce
  • ShinJynnShinJynn Just Die Please... Joined: Posts: 19
    edited August 2013
    I'm a long time Shuma Player since Vanilla and have compiled a list of major and minor changes that can help him.
    -Eyes on contact can have a crowning effect similar to Vergil. "Mystic Stalker" activate with S+Atk when an eye is on opponent. 1 bar cost
    Maybe it could be immune to raw tags or Shuma being hit similar to Modoks reverse controls.
    -Can Cancel Air S into Super or A1+A2 attacks immediately after touching ground.
    -Increase Air S Hard knockdown time especially after sj. combos.
    -Give Shuma a hard knockdown move similar to Franks down+C to bring them straight down near him and combo into Hyper Mystic Stare or link to regular Mystic Ray.
    -Eye explosions cause hard knockdown otg state on airborne opponents(Similar to Deadpools bolo) and crumple state on standing opponents.
    -When Eye explosions are being blocked Shuma is immune to advancing guard.
    -Air S is dash cancel in the air or on the ground. Or Air S has 1 hit of Super Armor
    -Air S has a wider hit box.
    -Mystic Smash can be canceled out of in air or off ground with S+Atk. Then you can dash then do another mystic smash or block etc.
    Can only be used once per airborne period. Would conflict with Mystic Stalker input if both moves were used.
    -Mystic Stare H goes full screen and has + frame advantage.
    -Devitalization stays up as long as button is held similar to Amaterasu. L version absorbs beams or projectiles for meter. M version reflects projectiles or nullifies beams.
    H version warps you to opponent if touched by a projectile or beam (Can call assist while in devitalization stance or warping). If opponent is within range command throw comes out instead or whiffs.
    Probably needs to be a separate move from the command throw.
    -Standing C is dash cancel
    -Chaos Dimension properly mashable at sj. heights. During Sj. combos Chaos Dimension can be followed by a tac exchange.
    -Standing crouching and air M hit stun increased.
    -Strange Gaze causes hard knockdown on counter hit or airborne opponents.
    -Mystic Ray brings opponent closer to Shuma when used as an otg during hard knockdown or Devitalization.
    -Mystic Stare eyes are permanent till explosion on counter hit.
    -Mystic Stare eye explosions can be delayed by holding an attack button.
    -Mystic Ray has set hitstun

Not all of these need to be used but just some ideas.
    Post edited by ShinJynn on
    "Patience is a small price for perfection."
    "Whoever said Money cant buy Happiness obviously wasn't a gamer!"

National
    Organization of

Men
    Against
    Amazonian
    Masterhood

Thx 2 AlphaDragoon02 4 Av