UMvC3 Weekly Challenges for Beginning/Intermediate Players!!

Samifish182Samifish182 CFC Fan, Completely Ass IbukiJoined: Posts: 107
As a completely ass player and a person of young age who goes to college and has a job, I rarely find time where I can grind out a training session to learn a combo or really explore a new character. I cannot be the only one in this situation, so I have decided to start this thread to meet with other beginning/intermediate players to point out tips, tricks, and other small bits of info that will help out struggling players like me who don't have large bits of time in succession.

(Note: I will be talking as if you have played fighting games before and understand the normal terminology of UMvC3. If you don't, there are threads for that on SRK.)

These challenges shouldn't be hard for most people who are good at this game. This is for people who are ass (such as myself, and admitting it is the first step :)). The goal is to not only make myself better week by week, but also give others ideas on what to do.

Also, I may not always post stuff fitted to your character or to your team. This is basically making us better by improving our execution and knowledge of the game. Specific combos for specific characters can be learned elsewhere. However, I will post combos that I feel are challenging enough for a beginner.

BUT DON'T LEAVE THIS TO ME!! If you feel you have something of importance or helpful to post, leave it here as well! I would love this to be a nice giant thread of things newer players can do to improve their skills

As a simple start (and yes I'm not 100% at it yet), I suggest trying the Dr. Doom (cause everyone can use a bit of Doom in their team :wgrin:) Buktooth loop or Footdive loop. SRK posted a nice tutorial by "Back O The Bus" on the front page about a year back. It will show you how to do both, on top of helping with the little neat tricks that make them easier.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/25/umvc3-basic-dr-doom-bnb-breakdown/

This is my first post on SRK forums, so please be easy on me. If there is any issues, please let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate.
Podcaster, Chelsea FC fan, FG lover, Longboard rider,
AE-Ibuki, Sagat
GG-Slayer, Ky
Videos! http://www.youtube.com/182samifish

Comments

• Sith_ProbeSith_Probe Joined: Posts: 38
    Hey man, I'm with you! And as a total forum newbie (always lurkin in the background) it's time I admit that the reason I suck at this game is I don't give it the focus I'd like too.

A weekly forum where fellow scrubs like ourselves challenge each other may just be the thing we need. Idk
    So last night I tried to jump into Doom infinites from that huge forum post by Rokmode over in the character specific threads. Fired up my Playstation, proceeded to not even being able to shoruken properly on the night and promptly called it a night.

Not very productive. Hell, since I bought the game last July, I feel like each week I take a new character into Mission Mode, make it to about challenge 7-8 (where-ever working in X-factor activation combos tend to fall in that character's path) and fall flat on my face. Or I'll have my buddy come over, and we'll be playing and suddenly he spams Sentinel Lazers at me, and I realize I don't know how to wave dash to save my life.

At this point I either admit I can't play the game, or I saddle up, and see what we can do. In-fact I don't care how basic it is, but once a week a challenge we can try out and then discus what we learned would be an AWESOME thread to facilitate, if nothing else, my own frustrations.

Cause mission mode isn't going to get me anywhere, anymore.

So thanks for starting this thread, and hope to hear from you and others soon.
    ~Andrew
  • SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Nice Joined: Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭
    I admire the initiative and hopefully this helps some people out.

One thing I'd say is to mix in some movement tips as well because that's a key aspect of the game that many players lack.
    Wolv/Spencer/Akuma or Wesker/Doom/Spencer
    Spencer/Doom/Ammy or Mag/Doom/Ammy because A-bomb
    http://i48.tinypic.com/1fwva0.png
    Okay better part of an hour later. I was not successful, but this is usually the part where I probably put the game down for another week. I'll give it another hour or so tomorrow. Maybe that's just the trick, I have to stick at it. Here's what I found with the three combo's included in this challenge.

Combo 1: L, M, H, S, (Air)M, (Air)->H, ADForward-Down, (Air)M, back on the ground, c.M, c.H, S, (air)M,(air)M, Super
    I can do the first half, I can do the second half. But connecting them was frustrating. At first I couldn't get the Air-Dash-Down Medium, but then I realized I wasn't imputing it fast enough. Then I figured he's popping out of my combo because I'm doing it too soon. Then I tried to delay it and he just kept missing his connection with the air dash down. Futhermore I could only ADD going left to right. I tend to mash the stick with the palm of my hand. I watch the streams all the time, no one else is going spastic on their arcade stick. Why do I still struggle with the air dash? SiriusBlack is right, we're going to have to work on movement. (or I am...)

Combo 2: As soon as I hit the second footdive (assuming I go from Forward H, into S) I'm mashing that AD again. And no matter which direction(s) I tried it just pushed out of the combo. Sometimes I felt like I had to mash the stick 3 times to get an AD going....

Combo 3: After your dive kicks, I'm dashing down Medium, as per instructions, but it's not coming up with an air M, before Doom hits the floor. So too much time's passed and it won't link. he doesn't really mention what the reps are OTG, but it looked like it was Standing H, S, but that's getting ahead of myself.

So before I abandon the game for another week Samifish182, I will be taking a crack at it for another hour or so tomorrow.

Thanks for the motivation/post. :)
  • <Insert Name Here>&lt;Insert Name Here&gt; Gotta knock a little harder Joined: Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching videos of other people doing combos can help you get an idea of what the timing is like.
    UMvC3: M.O.D.O.K./Doctor Doom/Dante, Wolverine/Doctor Doom/Dante || BBCP: Relius
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever
  • Samifish182Samifish182 CFC Fan, Completely Ass Ibuki Joined: Posts: 107

Combo 1: L, M, H, S, (Air)M, (Air)->H, ADForward-Down, (Air)M, back on the ground, c.M, c.H, S, (air)M,(air)M, Super
    I can do the first half, I can do the second half. But connecting them was frustrating. At first I couldn't get the Air-Dash-Down Medium, but then I realized I wasn't imputing it fast enough. Then I figured he's popping out of my combo because I'm doing it too soon. Then I tried to delay it and he just kept missing his connection with the air dash down. Futhermore I could only ADD going left to right. I tend to mash the stick with the palm of my hand. I watch the streams all the time, no one else is going spastic on their arcade stick. Why do I still struggle with the air dash? SiriusBlack is right, we're going to have to work on movement. (or I am...)

I suggest two things as I've been trying to do this perfectly before moving on to the next one (going left and going right, doing it five times in a row)

First off - I do this with playing guitar too. I find ways to streamline the process to make it easier to play or easier to learn. It may not be the most fantastic way to do it but if it works every time I guess its okay??

This also seems incredibly obvious. However, psychology professors say that stating the obvious can leave a lasting impression in your brain. I tend to try to say combos in my free time, as in when i'm commuting alone or about to preform the combo, and I tend to be able to do much more of the combo without forgetting it.
    (As in saying, crouching light, crouching medium, crouching heavy, launcher, air medium, air forward heavy, air dash down forward... etc)

1. This part of the combo [ c.:l:,c.:m:,c.:h:,:s:, ] can be done by holding:df: the whole time.
    2. When it comes to jump, slide the stick up to :uf: and do your a.:m: as fast as you can. The amount of time that move takes to do its damage is nuts compared to most mediums. You can react to the next part.
    3. When it comes to [ a.f.:h: ], slide the joystick down to :f: to do the footdive.
    4. Then slide the stick back to :df: to do the ADDF and continue to the second a.:m:. You can continue to hold :df: to do [ c.:m:,c.:h:,:s: ]
    5. Go back up to :uf: to do the [ a.:m:,a.:m: ] then [ :qcb::qcb::atk::atk: ]

The second thing I suggest is trying the combo without c.:m: after [ ADDF,a.:m: ] and go straight to c.:h: as a variation of the combo.

(This part of the post is referring to the c.:m: and c.:h: after [ ADDF,a.:m: ] )
    Unsurprisingly, c.:h: has a lower hitbox than c.:m:. You will have to make you adjust the timings in your head to compensate for the lower hitboxes, making you do the a.:m: closer to the ground and therefore helping connect c.:h:.

The result will be you being able to recognize when to do use either c.:m: or c.:h: depending on how low you used a.:m:. We as humans are not perfect and will not perfect anything 100%. However, if we notice the distance and timing to the floor when we used a.:m:, we can decide with is move is better to spend the frames on (sounds weird, as if frames are a currency used in the game).

Once you even get this down once or twice, I suggest trying both methods and even going for another loop before Photon Array.
    For doing multiple loops however, I have found that using c.:h: first instead of c.:m: after the first [ ADDF,a.:m: ] will help keep the enemy down, thereby helping you do the second loop by being able to catch him with the a.:m: closer to the ground (or not as high, but saying that sounds weird in sentence) after :s:. The small variations will make you better at the whole thing in general.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I hope I was a bit of help :)
    AE-Ibuki, Sagat
    GG-Slayer, Ky
  • SHAZAMforInjusticeSHAZAMforInjustice Stream Hero Joined: Posts: 94
    Great thread!I'm a newbie here and like the idea!
    Now on to practice!
    UMvC3:Captain America and friends Injustice:Shazam
    jak d ripr:"Although this has to be the first time someone has "liked" my post only to completely disagree with it, that s**t caught me off guard."
    Keyzerjose:"That's the mixup."
  • SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Nice Joined: Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭
    Snip.

You said you're mashing your stick with the palm of your hand... so I assume you're inputting an air dash with two directional inputs (i.e. :df: :df:) like in SF.

You should be holding the direction while pressing two attack buttons (the Marvel shortcut for dash).

If that's not the case, then I'm not too sure what you mean.
    Wolv/Spencer/Akuma or Wesker/Doom/Spencer
    Spencer/Doom/Ammy or Mag/Doom/Ammy because A-bomb
    http://i48.tinypic.com/1fwva0.png
  • Bacon ManicBacon Manic Werd? Joined: Posts: 104
    This is great. Not sure if you are using the stick to dash. If you are get used to using 2 attack buttons. This will help with the dashing.

I have a problem with the Buktooth loop in having the cr. M connecting. Still trying to get the timing right. Seems like there is a pause after the a.M and the c. M
    XBL: LinearStarScrem
    Be sure to add me, just make sure you let me know where you found me.
    This is all solid gold. Don't apologize for lengthy posts, it was very clear and concise, Sami. :)

Everything you said to as far as shortcuts makes sense to me. And while I can always admire someone who does things the 'hard way', I'll be the first to cut corners (or round them if you will).

When it comes to step 2, I immediately look at the positioning of the stick and realize that you are likely tapping S, where I tend to hold it for the auto jump. I noticed a lot of folks are split on this. Do I auto jump or do I get out of that habit and learn to jump on my own time?

Which leads into air dashes. SiriusBlack brings up a good one. I'd only tended to use the two-button airdash's when I was following someone else's directions. When given the option I usually do as he says, Arrow Arrow. Where this will become the biggest challenge to me, is I've only recently changes to the 6 button (8 button?) layout. Before I was treating marvel as a 4 button game, playing on a stick with the default controls. While they are aken more to MvC2, I realized this isn't going to help me when it comes time to learn to call on assists properly (a discussion for the future weeks! :)).

So, with that said, learning the Type 2 way of things where your top 3-buttons are for L, M, H, and your bottom three are for S, A1, A2, I'm still trying to rap my muscle memory around having H on the top. I'm picking it up much quicker then assumed I would too. But the challenge is going to be learning to 2-button airdash with L,H or M, H instead of L, M. Because prior to playing with the current configuration I'd only airdashed with L, M which is going to be impossible to execute the majority of combos (which actually explains alot!)

Bacon Manic, gets the 2-button airdash, but sounds like he's having the most trouble with the same part. So this is certainly the problem area of the first combo (if not this weeks challenge in general). Samifish182's advice in his post is likely to help both Bacon and I in this reguard, can't wait to practice today!

Finally Sami, to your point on re-iterating the obvious, I'd always sort of thought of marvel as a muscle memory thing (or physical thing) but of course this has given me something to 'think' about in more ways then one. :) thx
  • LanzomaLanzoma Pragmatic Fighter Joined: Posts: 58
    This is how I learn combos, and I'm hoping somebody finds it useful:

1) Look at it several times, to get a feel for the timings involved, and recognize what is the end result I am aiming for.
    2) Hit the buttons without actually doing the combo, to get a sense of how it should feel.
    3) Try it out for a few minutes.
    4) Recognize what section I'm having trouble with, and then try to isolate it via input recording or finding a shorter, easier way to setup that situation.
    5) Go over the problematic section and understand what I'm doing wrong (e.g. spacing, timing, input errors, wrong setup).
    6) Find a variation / rhythm / cues / inputs that allow me to be consistent.
    7) Return to step 3.

Samifish's post is spot-on. I spend a long time at step 6 finding inputs that feel natural (i.e. simple and smooth) and reduce the risk of accidental drops.

Also, after a long session of training mode, I'll just stop outright and go to sleep. There's a point where you'll just keep flubbing things up because you're mentally tired, or your hands are physically strained, and the best thing to do is to just come back the next day. It's magical, things will fall into place and what seemed impossible will start working seemingly out of nowhere.

The hard part is knowing when to quit and call it a day.
    Well holy shit. 569000ish damage. Hot damn I did it. The first step into a larger world. I'd be lying if my ring finger on my right hand wasn't killing me tho. Infact my whole wrist is feeling it. Took about half hour but I was able to do the first combo about 5 or 6 times.

Here's my best tip following the advice of sami's setup. Obviously the tricky part of this combo comes after the footdive. Your going to be air-dashing hitting with M, and then OTG your going to try to go to town. Lanzoma's got the correct idea here too! You want to isolate this part. So I simply (*pauses typeing fuckin fingers!!!) ...

So I push Spencer into the corner (he's my dummy too, thought I'd follow instructions to the T), I jump over top of him I mash LM, to dash, and then M, at the last opportunity. Then i hit the ground and I see how slow/quick i can follow up. This gave me a much better understanding of the Hitboxes involved with M air, and c.M
    Also it gave me a better understanding of the timing.
    Infact my practice combo was (in corner) jump, LM(airdash), a.M, c.M, c.H, S, a.M, a.M, Photon Array
    So the easy math, cause one/two of these attacks count for more "hits" is I'm looking for the number 8 before the Array starts. If I'm at 8 (or sometimes 9) I know I'm getting the timing down pretty pat here.

I read back my previous paragraph and only think I'm half clear I what I'm trying to state, but this is how I practice the hitboxes, timing, and "later half" of the first combo. Sami's advice on immediately a.M, a.M, on the initial jump in the combo is spot on, but I've found that the safest bet to link the combo after the footdive, is to actually try to delay the footdive. You want to airdash immediately after the footdive, but you kind of want Spencer to drop down while your beating him.

I can't describe it better then that ATM, if I could I think I'd have this one down. I spent about half hour going left to right. Just before I switched off, I tried going right to left and nailed it on the second go. But it's funny cause even my brain was trying to flip the buttons! (like starting with H, going to M, L, then S, LoL)

And the key here is I'm going to practice some more later. Tomorrow, I'll attempt some of Sami's tips he posted earlier, about transitioning from c.M to c.H OTG after the ADDF. And if I'm successful or more important, consistent, that's when I'll try to move on to the second combo.

Lanzoma's step 6 is going to be key for my own progression to consistency in this and future combos. I must admit it's not as satisfying as I'd hoped to reach this stage, maybe cause the more daunting task of actually trying to use it in a game remains to be seen.
    Also, after a long session of training mode, I'll just stop outright and go to sleep. There's a point where you'll just keep flubbing things up because you're mentally tired, or your hands are physically strained, and the best thing to do is to just come back the next day. It's magical, things will fall into place and what seemed impossible will start working seemingly out of nowhere.

The hard part is knowing when to quit and call it a day.

The splitting up the combo is something I used to do with SF4. It is a fantastic way to learn the back part of the combo and makes learning the harder parts of the combo the main focus. It's a fantastic idea and I recommend it completely.

Also quitting for a while or so is a great idea too. I can't count how many times I've gotten combos, missions, or even bosses in other games, on the first or second try after dropping the game for a bit to cool down. However, it comes internally. You almost have to know that this is as far as your going to go today. If you have more in you, use it all unless time permits, but coming back the next day and trying it as soon as you can, even if it means loading up your console for 10 minutes, you may see some vast improvements.
    (That was some terrible wording and grammar there, I am terribly sorry. I'm quite tired but I wanted to reply to the people who also put time into their posts :))

Well holy shit. 569000ish damage. Hot damn I did it. The first step into a larger world. I'd be lying if my ring finger on my right hand wasn't killing me tho. Infact my whole wrist is feeling it. Took about half hour but I was able to do the first combo about 5 or 6 times.

First off, congrats! It's either a feeling of relief, improvement, or joy, but getting a combo down fairly well feels really good.

And the key here is I'm going to practice some more later. Tomorrow, I'll attempt some of Sami's tips he posted earlier, about transitioning from c.M to c.H OTG after the ADDF. And if I'm successful or more important, consistent, that's when I'll try to move on to the second combo.

And please tell me how this goes! I have only tested this on myself and have seen a few mentions of this around videos and forums. I would love to know if this is a good way to help understanding timings and certain situations. I feel like going into auto-pilot is useful sometimes when in pressure situations, but I feel like learning to be awake, alert, and understanding at all times (kinda like soccer, to be honest) is more important and we should strive to be completely aware at all times and thereby learning to adapt ASAP. I believe this is why Chris G is a fantastic player. The MorriDoom bullet hell needs constant thinking and planning to it, and people who auto-pilot on it usually don't do as well as Chris G (there aren't many people bettering him in general ATM!)

I'm not a 100% on the left side of the combo above but I am starting to attempt to do the second combo. The thing that killing me the most is the a.:m: after ADD to make a faster ground recovery. My tri-dash is good enough for the combo, but doing the a.:m: after ADD is not a first time thing. It is something that you have to get used to! I'm thinking of taking the split up method for this and practice [ ADD whiff a.:m: ] on its own. I feel like this is the toughest part of the second combo. Either way, I will be trying my best at it.

If my notes on combo 1 were helpful, let me know and I'll make notes for combo 2 as well, and bring up the tips and tricks I picked up to learn the combo. Off to bed now, I may edit this post in the morning after school tomorrow. I'm absolutely dead right now and I have about 4 professional soccer games to watch :D unbelievably excited!
    AE-Ibuki, Sagat
    GG-Slayer, Ky
    Well after some practice I can do Doom's first combo from that vid.Alas I have trouble doing the buktooth loop since by the time my second dive kick they are too high for my second c.M to hit.Gaaaaah!Any tips?
    My first challange is to do a BnB combo 10 times without dropping it.
    jak d ripr:"Although this has to be the first time someone has "liked" my post only to completely disagree with it, that s**t caught me off guard."
    Well after some practice I can do Doom's first combo from that vid.Alas I have trouble doing the buktooth loop since by the time my second dive kick they are too high for my second c.M to hit.Gaaaaah!Any tips?
    Can you post the notation for the combo? I'm not sure which one you are attempting atm.
    Try this variation.
    [ c.:l:, c.:m:, c.:h:, :s:, (sj) a.:m:, a.f.:h:, ADDF a.:m:, (land), c.:h:, :s:, (sj), a.:m:, a.f.:h:, ADDF a.:m:, (land),c.:m:, c.:h:, :s:, (sj), a.:m:, a.:m:, ENDER ]

Notice I emitted the c.:m: after [ ADDF a.:m:] This well help you keep the enemy lower when going for the second loop, so that the next [ a.:m:, a.f.:h: ] connect better. You can emit the second loop c.:m: if you so choose, however I have found that one more useful. Hope this helps
    AE-Ibuki, Sagat
    GG-Slayer, Ky
    Try this variation.
    [ c.:l:, c.:m:, c.:h:, :s:, (sj) a.:m:, a.f.:h:, ADDF a.:m:, (land), c.:h:, :s:, (sj), a.:m:, a.f.:h:, ADDF a.:m:, (land),c.:m:, c.:h:, :s:, (sj), a.:m:, a.:m:, ENDER ]

Notice I emitted the c.:m: after [ ADDF a.:m:] This well help you keep the enemy lower when going for the second loop, so that the next [ a.:m:, a.f.:h: ] connect better. You can emit the second loop c.:m: if you so choose, however I have found that one more useful. Hope this helps
    Thanks will try later tonight.
    I just went back to the first combo this morning. Got pretty frustrated, managed to land it afew times. I just wish after an airdash you could just mash out your next attack button, but you press it too early (during the airdash and it's not going to land). The timing is key and I suspect my airdashes are to blame.
    Futhermore when I do hit the airdash hit, I seldom land and hit the follow up first shot. I suspect I'm waiting to long.

Sami I watched the QPRvMANC game yesterday, maybe that's why i'm so debby-downer today. Ahh... maybe ManU will lose today. That'd help my spirits...
  • JakeyjakeJakeyjake YOLO expert Joined: Posts: 119
    Learning Doom combos feels pretty good, especially getting a reasonable damage output at midscreen.
    Something I find important to learn is all your combos in X-Factor, especially in 3. Dooms combos suddenly get a lot harder for me when I start flying through the screen much faster and jump straight over the opponets head.

Also tri-dashing is pretty cool too. Too bad everytime I do that I get my head crushed in by a helm breaker.
    I have a hard time with Tri-dashing with Doom, but with Dorm I can do it... Just kind of weird. Must be the way Doom feels in comparison.
  • InjusticeInjustice Joined: Posts: 5
    I have one question with Doom's BnB: When it starts from one corner and travels to the other is there any way to get more than 2 reps? in the 3rd rep the opponent recovers after the first J. M.
    "I may not be the best, but i'm not like the rest".
    Current Team: Deadpool/Vergil/Strider Hiryu, Strider Hiryu/Doctor Doom/Vergil.
    PS3: VengefulJustice.
    I'm not open to fights all the day, but feel free to do it, have in mind i'm not quite good at this yet.
    Time is also a factor for hitstun decay (there's a thread explaining it in detail if you're interested), so when they pop up and you're not sure why try doing things faster. This is particularly noticeable for Doom / Magneto combos.

One variation that you can do in the first/second rep. to speed things up (in case the start was a bit slow):

:s: sj. :l: :l: :m: (2 hits I think?) Foot-footdive

The :l:s are pretty much as soon as possible after the SJ. The :m: I'm not sure on the timing as I do it by feeling and don't have a console close to test it out.
    Well after following the suggestions in this thread I can do the Buktooth loop with some level of consistency.Thanks for the help Samifish!
    Now on to Fly/Unfly and Frank combos!
  • HitzelHitzel jump jump jump jump jump Joined: Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of Day[9], but with Marvel. Color me interested. I'll see if I can contribute in any way.
    Okay I'm starting to get it. While I still struggle with the first combo, I've nailed the 3rd combo. I feel like I can complete the airdash after the double footdives about 60% of the time now. I've found a way to compensate by pressing LM, twice. But I don't want to get into the habit cause I know it's going to spoil the finisher when I finally start to get that one down.

The other hardest part of the combo is the start of the third rep. Lanzoma I think it might be appropriate to post that thread on hitstun decay! :)
    More-over feel I'm starting to experiment to the point where I'm seeing if I'll be able to to pick up and start this BreadnButter on different attacks. It's starting to feel abit more natural. Tomorrow I'll try combo two which is essentially the same thing from the mid screen. See if I can get those, ADD, Land, ForwardDash, H, S down.

Bacon Manic, I'd agree with you there. Doom feels like his 8-ways are different then some of the other characters that can do them.

Hitzel, tell yo friends, we need to get all the scrubs up in this joint! :D

SHAZAM you may have a possible topic for next week there. I'd put my vote in for Frank combos. But i'd really be up for Fly/Unfly. Guess which ever there is the clearest videos out there for would be sweet.

Tomorrow Combo 2, and then if I can get it, work on the variations that both Sami and Lanzoma have susgested! :)

Don'tcha all feel like we're starting something here!?
    Don'tcha all feel like we're starting something here!?

Definitely :)

Whats funny to me is that I can actually do the third Doom combo very consistently. I'm pretty sure it's easier, but I found it to be more fun as well. I do this one in LvL3 X-Factor for giggles.

And I do hope this thread stays strong. Although I do not believe I will get many of the combos I post, even trying them is making me better. This second Doom combo is killing me. But it's all benefit! Every time to jump into training mode you get a smidgen better!

I actually have a lot of good Frank videos. I suppose for Frank West we can focus on leveling him up in multiple ways. I actually know a thing or two about Frank combos. I know we can go to the Frank thread for the optimal, but Frank is a low-mid execution difficulty character, and I feel like we get some good practice with him. These combos may not last long on the thread since it looks like we did some good work on the Doom combos (which I believe are harder than some of Frank's combos), so I'll adjust accordingly and make sure that we always have something to do.

SUGGESTIONS AND COMBOS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!! FEEL FREE TO LEAVE ANYTHING YOU BELIEVE IS USEFUL TO BEGINNING/INTERMEDIATE PLAYERS!! NO SHAME, WE'RE ALL EQUALS HERE! :D

As for the Frank stuff, just so I can get some stuff ready for Saturday, I'm thinking
    -Solo Level Up
    -Leveling up w/ assist help
    -Leveling up with Frank as second on team (and using point characters that work well with him)
    -Fun combos
    -Level 4/5 Combos
    -Challenging combos

At least one of each. Anything else?
    AE-Ibuki, Sagat
    GG-Slayer, Ky
    I personally would like to see some Dorm on here.

Also I have the Doom corner loop down perfectly into his level 3 finisher, the other enders not so much.

Which combo is it I see on stream with f.h (footdive) into S (footdrive) at mid screen?

Also I still have troubles hitting the buktooth loop inconsistently. I can not figure out why sometimes the a.M > f. H > add > a.M > land >c. M does not work. I think it has to do with my height at the start?

Just putting it out there.. Am I one of the few that use playing online for training? Meaning that it not only allows me to work out the combos (if I drop, what ever, it's online) it lets me work on getting an offense/defense setup with hit confirms. Bad idea?
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Aspiring Surveyor Joined: Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dormammu sounds like a good candidate. These are a really good idea, thanks for setting them up Sam.
    Let the games begin.
    The other hardest part of the combo is the start of the third rep. Lanzoma I think it might be appropriate to post that thread on hitstun decay! :)

Here you go - http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-does-hit-stun-deterioration-work.153776/

In a nutshell: The first hit starts a timer that decays (deteriorates) hitstun, there are moves that ignore hitstun decay (including assists), and there is both a max hitstun and a minimum hitstun that a move can do.

Is there any interest in a video showing the different variations / starters? I only have a crappy phone to record with, but I'd gladly do one. I was thinking of showing the fast loop to avoid drops and the max reps possible in the corner with 2 variations. Any others?
    Time is also a factor for hitstun decay (there's a thread explaining it in detail if you're interested), so when they pop up and you're not sure why try doing things faster. This is particularly noticeable for Doom / Magneto combos.

One variation that you can do in the first/second rep. to speed things up (in case the start was a bit slow):

:s: sj. :l: :l: :m: (2 hits I think?) Foot-footdive

The :l:s are pretty much as soon as possible after the SJ. The :m: I'm not sure on the timing as I do it by feeling and don't have a console close to test it out.

Thank you, i'll try that later.
    I'm not open to fights all the day, but feel free to do it, have in mind i'm not quite good at this yet.
    Lanzoma, thx for the link, any video you feel you can do, no matter how ass the quality is would be awesome. They say we learn quickest when we can teach others back, what we've just learnt.

Bacon, Sami, myself, we all pretty much started and finished the 3rd combo this past week. But the real challenge comes from the other two. Trying to ADDF is hardest to time.

Dorm, being another character with an 8-way dash (right??) might be the most logical progression, but on the flip side, might be nice to try something else. that way if we want to switch back next week when we get frustrated and try and nail these doom combos we've got two things to work on.

Anyways keep at it guys!

Showing how hitstun deterioration is time-based by doing the same combo at different speeds, and also a variation of the corner combo with just one :m:. Finally, showing the faster midscreen rep.

So apparently if you want to do the faster rep version you must hit twice if it's the first launch, or once if it's the second/third one.
    But wont the "extra" a.L scale the damage more?

Showing how hitstun deterioration is time-based by doing the same combo at different speeds, and also a variation of the corner combo with just one :m:. Finally, showing the faster midscreen rep.

So apparently if you want to do the faster rep version you must hit twice if it's the first launch, or once if it's the second/third one.

This actually helps a lot, i saw MarlinPie doing this variation of Doctor Doom's combo, never though it was for the third rep to be easier.
    I'm pretty sure it does scale the damage, but less damage is always better than dropping the combo. Basically it's a variation for when you're not sure you have time for the longer version due to HTD.

It should also help if doing 3 loops corner to corner is too hard (for now :) ).
    Currently making combos for Frank that I feel will challenge us. Frank is in my top 5 characters for execution so I feel like I can bring some for us. Ill be making one by one

Combo 1- Level-5 Frank
    Start with 1 bar. No HC Recovery. Frank/Dante/Doesn't Matter
    [ :l:,c.:l:,:m:,c.:m:,c.:h:,:s:, (sj) a.:m:,a.:m:,a.:h:,:qcf:+:l:,a.:m:,a.:s: (land)(dash)(jump-forward) :qcf:+:h:, (land) c.:h:,:s:, (sj) a.:m:,a.:m:,a.:h:, :s:, (land)(dash if needed):a1::a2:, (frank recovers) :qcf:+:s:,:qcf:+:s:]
    Damage: 720,400

What should happen/notes/Etc
    -After the second air combo, you should have a little over exactly 2 bars do to the THC
    -After the first land, dash ASAP! I suggest doing the :atk::atk: command for dashing because its faster unless you really wanna work in the :f::f: for the dash.
    -After the first regular jump(this part- [(land)(dash)(jump-forward)]), you will need to feel the right timing for inputting :qcf:+:h: to OTG.
    -When you see :qcf:+:h: start, get ready for the[(land)c.:h:,:s:] cause it needs to happen ASAP!
    -This combo will always get the opponent in the corner. "Dash if needed" is only needed if your on the beginning third of the stage.
    -The times to do the camera during the THC is before Dante says "jackpot" which is around when Frank recovers from his super, and right when the last large shot that Dante shoots hits the opponent.

My issue with this combo as viability is that you can do this combo

Start with 1 bar. No HC Recovery. Frank/Dante/Doesn't Matter
    [ :l:,c.:l:,:m:,c.:m:,c.:h:,:s:, (sj), a.:l:,a.:l:, a.:m:,a.:m:,a.:h:,a.:s: (land)(dash)(jump-forward) :qcf:+:h:, (land) c.:h:,:s:, (sj) a.:l:,a.:l:,a.:m:,a.:m:,a.:h:, :s: (land)(dash if needed) ,:a1::a2:, (frank recovers) :qcf:+:s:,:qcf:+:s: ]
    Damage: 707,700

which seems to be hell of a ton easier and only 12,700 less damage. Two notes for this one

1.Mash this combo out and do everything as fast as possible! HSD is not your friend.
    2. It looks scrubby as hell. But easier to execute.

This is my one of my Frank videos. If you want me to scribe some combos just let me know,

Posting this for now. Gonna scribe some things later too.
    AE-Ibuki, Sagat
    GG-Slayer, Ky
    Personally I am now building a team for my new main:Captain America!!!!!
    Personal mission:Find the strongest,sickest team for Cap plus practice movement and his BnBs.
    Those articles blew my mind.
    I hit a wall today. I can't get the dashes down midscreen after about 2 days of practicing and it's killing me. The vid was great Lanzoma. I haven't taken a stab at the Frank combo's yet, but Doom is really frustrated me ATM... *sigh*

Going to check out those articles. Thx
    You mean the Doom dashes for the Buktooth combo, or for the double footdive combo?
    Let the games begin.
    For the double footdive loop, practice the dashes in the corner as you can see doom and it's easier that way. Also, do it slower and relaunch with :m:, and once you can get that consistent upgrade to :h:, which requires tighter timing.
    So news is that the forums will be down for about a whole week. Ill be putting a ton of Frank videos up later today before the server goes down, so make sure that you check this before 9:00pm and save all the links. I wish I had the time to scribe em, but news came out today. Plus, school is kicking my ass anyway.

This link has most of the Frank Videos I found to be interesting. That way you can download this so you dont have to save the Webpage or a whole buncha links.

Frank West Leveling and Combo Videos
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-IqcM5NqcWjNkFrcS1ZYXJwRGM/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully I can get that clockwork loop down by the time the servers go back up and Ill work at some Dormammu stuff to post when the servers are up again. Maybe that crazy Zak Bennett combo from CM3 or 4? (dont remember, but goddamn that shit was dirty)
    AE-Ibuki, Sagat
    GG-Slayer, Ky
    In the days the forums have gone down I have progressed inmensely.I am having a blast!!
    Well that forum change was a real combo breaker. We can start fresh on Saturday again. Ill look for some Dormammu stuff, since my aspiring team is Mag, Dorm, Doom. Oh, and cause you guys asked for it too xD
    AE-Ibuki, Sagat
    GG-Slayer, Ky
    I think I have some Dorm advanced combos I could post if you wanted. Mostly just silly stuff that isn't practical, not likely match combos but they helped me understand the game system more when I came up with them so they couldn't hurt.
    Let the games begin.
  • Happiest MealHappiest Meal Joined: Posts: 11
    I think I have some Dorm advanced combos I could post if you wanted. Mostly just silly stuff that isn't practical, not likely match combos but they helped me understand the game system more when I came up with them so they couldn't hurt.
    I would love that. Im having a bit of an issue looking for good Dorm stuff
    AE-Ibuki, Sagat
    GG-Slayer, Ky
    edited February 2013
    The first combo has to start in the corner but the second can carry to the corner by the end and still work.

Combo 1: (Start with one Blue, one Red)
    j.H,c.M,s.H,f.H,QCB M,c.H,s.S, j.M,j.M,j.H,j.S, call Task (vertical) + SRK L, QCB Hyper, QCB H, QCF L, QCB Hyper

Combo 2: (Start with one Blue, two Red)
    j.H,c.L,c.M,c.H,s.S,j.M,j.M,j.H,j.S, call (OTG assist-deadpool/wesker),QCB S, j.H,j.S,c.M,s.S,j.M,j.M,j.H,j.S, call Spencer (slant),df.H,s.S,QCB H, QCB L/M, SRK Hyper

They're in this video at about 30 seconds if seeing them helps:

I know they're not match practical by any means, but think of it as execution practice. If you guys want any more combos just hit me up, I can cook up some combos for anyone you want me to.
    Post edited by RadicalFuzz on
    Let the games begin.