The Martial Arts Movie Thread 2017 Donnie goes Hollywood

angelpalmangelpalm Pancakes are delicious yoJoined: Posts: 22,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
edited February 3 in General Discussion
Because the other one is old as fuck and my girl was just watching Painted Skin: The Resurrection on netflix.

Anyways what is everyone looking forward to seeing in the upcoming year?

Is Donnie Yen getting too old?

And when are we gonna see more of Iko Uwais? I know ya'll have been dying to see him since you got your first taste after watching The Raid. Watch Merantau if you haven't already seen it.
Post edited by angelpalm on

Comments

• AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,018
    Donnie Yen will always be a god, even if he makes a film called "Deathbed Warrior" he'll make that shit look ill. Martial Arts fighting in a gurney and whipping fools down.

Iko have an actual filmed lined up for this year?
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Pancakes are delicious yo Joined: Posts: 22,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Donnie Yen will always be a god, even if he makes a film called "Deathbed Warrior" he'll make that shit look ill. Martial Arts fighting in a gurney and whipping fools down.

Check it out
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,018
    Looks like a Kung Fu Prison flick...I can dig it.

For some reason he looks like the dude from Riki-Oh to me facial wise. lol.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,393
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    Speaking of Riki Oh, I watched Kung fu fighter on netflix and man oh man is this the biggest Kung Fu Hustle rip off I have ever seen.

Some of the same cast, same story almost except unfortunately it tries to take itself seriously while not taking the time to develop and resolve its own fucking plot.

The only part I enjoyed was the end when your boy Louis Fan shows up and absolutely WRECKS shit lol, which still left a bad taste in my mouth because well, you will see. Not that I recommend it, just watch the end on youtube. Also tell me why I thought this flick was from the 80's with it's washed out, recorded with a potato looking ass?

Movie came out in 2007 but looks worse than an old Shaw Brothers flick.
  • BadMojoBadMojo Joined: Posts: 2,542
    Tom Yum Goong 2 should finally release this year. I haven't heard anything from that besides seeing a couple promo posters and photos from the set... still expect the eventual trailer to blow my mind.

I know Donnie has a Monkey King movie coming out. We'll see how that goes. Journey to the West adaptations in Asian cinema are about as common as Robin Hood movies in the West.

Is Kung Fu Hustle 2 still being made or is that project stuck in development purgatory?

Anyone have anything to report from Japan? I want another Casshern. I don't really keep up with the Jap movie industry, all I ever watch are Noboru Iguchi and Yoshihiro Nishimura schlock. (Tokyo Gore Police, The Machine Girl, Mutant Girls Squad, etc)

Looks like there are rips of Man with the Iron Fist out now. Time to download.
    So I watched The Man with the Iron Fist finally.   

It wasn't super terrible but it did take itself a tad bit too serious for a film made up mostly from homages, shallow plot lines, and random scenes of FAT Russell Crowe.    In fact if it weren't for all the pointless scenes with him in it, there might have been enough space to put in some actual movie. 
    So looks like we will being seeing Man of Taichi here pretty soon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/man-of-tai-chi-keanu-reeves_n_3318934.html

Just in case you guys didn't know it is gonna star ya boy Iko Uwais so you know it's gonna be fire.

What else is going on in the Martials arts movie world?
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,247
    Once upon a time in Shanghai should be out very soon.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    angelpalm wrote: »

Check it out

shiiit. they didnt even have to show him fighting at the end they already had me.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    So since everyone forgets to use the right thread I am bumping this NEW one AGAIN.

Wanted to see what everyone thought of 2013 so far?

Haven't seen Dragon Eyes, Haywire, or the Monkey King flicks yet. Wondering if someone can break those down for us. Need to see that Judge Archer and I am really wondering what the fuck Keanu thinks he is doing to the Martial Arts movie world?
    I couldn't find the thread but just wanted to say that the legend Lau Kar Leung passed away last month. Also Mr. Williams, Jim Kelly passed away too...Im hoping they are kicking Angelpalm's dead ass!
  • kitsunisankitsunisan I need alcohol Joined: Posts: 3,231
    Because the other one is old as fuck and my girl was just watching Painted Skin: The Resurrection on netflix.

Anyways what is everyone looking forward to seeing in the upcoming year?

Is Donnie Yen getting too old?

And when are we gonna see more of Iko Uwais? I know ya'll have been dying to see him since you got your first taste after watching The Raid. Watch Merantau if you haven't already seen it.

God damn it, no one stays dead anymore.
    I just picked up Painted Skin on a whim, am I going to regret this?
    DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES. THANK YOU - The Community
    man of tai chi cam is out if you guys didn't know...haven't got a chance to watch it yet
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,486
    edited July 2013
    King9999 wrote: »
    Can't wait for The Raid 2. The guy who played Mad Dog is in the movie as a different character:
    raid-2.jpg?format=750w

Also reposting this from the Lounge thread months ago:
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/King9999/JackieChan_Zodiac_zps8f9aa285.gif

From the movie Chinese Zodiac. Worth watching just for this one scene.

Ugh no, Chinese Zodiac has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And lol, they should have reshot that Jackie looks like he can float.

Can anyone recommended me a decent sci-fi martial arts film (even Anime), excluding The Matrix series, Time Cop and The One?

Gonna wait on that taichi bluray rip. Also, yeah, I stopped watching Zodiac half way thru. It just didn't interest me.
    Nah Chinese Zodiac was a fun film...

If you dont mind cheese & hot asian women fighitng ohhh & Billy Chow as a robot fighting rapist, i would strongly recommend Robotrix. Not much else sci-fi i films i can think of, i guess Casshern would qualify too but the fighting wasn't that great but visually it was amazing.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,486
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,975
    I liked Chinese Zodiac. Not his strongest film, but a decent adios.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    Other sci-fi action films i remembered Natural City(Korean) & Wicked City(HK) based on the anime...
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Can't wait for The Raid 2. The guy who played Mad Dog is in the movie as a different character:
    raid-2.jpg?format=750w

JackieChan_Zodiac_zps8f9aa285.gif

Good job hiding the wire, but off a move like that, there would be more momentum to get rid of, and he would recover in a deeper stance. I hate wire-fu. Sorry, Chan.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    raid-2.jpg?format=750w

Good job hiding the wire, but off a move like that, there would be more momentum to get rid of, and he would recover in a deeper stance. I hate wire-fu. Sorry, Chan.

The fuck you guys complaining about a 60 year old guy for.
    Got done watching Man of Tai Chi...It wasn't to bad of a film, a lot better then Man of the Iron Fist. Reeves dont really have the vision when it comes shooting the fight scenes. The angles of the shot did not translate well into the film. I think the intro fight scene was probably the best but the fights went down hill from there. Those that want to see Iko Uwais will be very disappointed, run away kung fu fight was a joke. Reeves reprising his matrix role was even more hilarious.

The good though is you actually get to see the fights, there's no quick cuts nor unnecessary close ups, which i applaud Reeves.

• JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,037
    Recently watched Wu Dang, Tai Chi Zero, and Arahan.
    Wu Dang, and Arahan were pretty fucking good with some nice fight choreography , and Tai Chi Zero was a pretty odd comedy.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,329
    Fucking yes Arahan.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    Arahan? Is that the Korean film? I bought that movie a long ass time ago & i dont even remember one thing about it. Maybe i need to rewatch.

Going to watch Grandmaster, man i really not a big fan of Wong Kar Wai films...Quick cuts, shaky camera, & beautiful people spacing out...I love Tony Leung so ill check it.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    rcaido wrote: »
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    raid-2.jpg?format=750w

The fuck you guys complaining about a 60 year old guy for.

A couple more takes and they coulda made that shit look natural. It just looks goofy. It would have looked real if his forward momentum wasn't just...stopped like that. If he'd just taken a knee when he landed, it would have been better. It's like they were rushing while filming and just used the 3rd take or something.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    BTW lots of fighting in The World's End, nothing over the top, the fights are filmed rather too close for my liking but still quite entertaining.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,393
    The Grandmaster ended up being a good slice of life movie for me. It was a good movie nonetheless.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • BEWDBEWD 鬼の顔 Joined: Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 2013
    raid-2.jpg?format=750w

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/King9999/JackieChan_Zodiac_zps8f9aa285.gif

Ugh no, Chinese Zodiac has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And lol, they should have reshot that Jackie looks like he can float.

Can anyone recommended me a decent sci-fi martial arts film (even Anime), excluding The Matrix series, Time Cop and The One?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Martial_arts_science_fiction_films

*I genuinely did not think that would come up with that many results

I also liked the movie Soldier, had the guy who played Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee story in it. Not too many hand to hand combat scenes though
    世界最強の生物
    BEWD wrote: »
    raid-2.jpg?format=750w

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Martial_arts_science_fiction_films

*I genuinely did not think that would come up with that many results

I also liked the movie Soldier, had the guy who played Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee story in it. Not too many hand to hand combat scenes though

I came across this list aswell, but I was looking for recommendation. 90% of that list is probably terrible lol

If you liked Soldier, watch Time Cop 2, Jason Scott Lee gets to be the lead and goes back in time becomes a cowboy, if I recall there weren't enough fights in the movie.
  • Dj Hyper KidDj Hyper Kid The Nati Kid Joined: Posts: 5,490
    So since everyone forgets to use the right thread I am bumping this NEW one AGAIN.

Wanted to see what everyone thought of 2013 so far?

Haven't seen Dragon Eyes, Haywire, or the Monkey King flicks yet. Wondering if someone can break those down for us. Need to see that Judge Archer and I am really wondering what the fuck Keanu thinks he is doing to the Martial Arts movie world?

I did see Dragon Eyes, and I enjoyed it for what it was. It was weird seeing JCVD as a mentor especially since Cung Le's fighting style was a bit rougher compared to JCVD's pretty kicking that he does so much. I say give it a watch and don't focus on the story, though I did like the thought of a guy cleaning up a bad neighborhood with martial arts. Honestly I liked Cung Le's style, which made me like him more in Man With the Iron Fists. But check it out.

Also apparently Donnie Yen was in Cincinnati for a demo a few weeks ago and I knew nothing about it. I really wish I could have seen what he does up close.
    Also I know you all heard that Spike Lee is redoing Oldboy (one of my favorite films). I really am not hype about it because I felt it didn't need to be remade (Kind of like Funny Games). But the biggest thing for me is if Spike Lee will be able to do a decent job remaking the side-scrolling fight scene with the hammer. Anyway here is the trailer.
    Looks like they are changing alot from the original movie. Not sure if I care to see it.
    edited July 2013
    Looks like they are changing alot from the original movie. Not sure if I care to see it.

I know I don't care to see it. Seems like they are trying to make it into something that wasn't intended for it in the first place.
    i'll watch just to see the changes
    RockBogart wrote: »
    This looks pretty good. It looks like a Sleeping Dogs movie lol.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 7,930
    Also I know you all heard that Spike Lee is redoing Oldboy (one of my favorite films). I really am not hype about it because I felt it didn't need to be remade (Kind of like Funny Games). But the biggest thing for me is if Spike Lee will be able to do a decent job remaking the side-scrolling fight scene with the hammer. Anyway here is the trailer.
    that girl in the news feed isn't his daughter
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't know if I should be happy or sad that they're making a Crows Zero 3 without Takashi Miike as director.
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
    This is one of my more favorite threads, so I gotta give it a bump.

But apparently there is going to be a Bloodsport remake. The focus will be on Vale Tudo in Brazil. The script is being revised now and shooting is set to start the Beginning of next year. Not idea on who has been cast yet.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bloodsport-Remake-Happening-38707.html

Also does anyone have any experience with filming? Me and some of my martial arts buddies were thinking of making a short choreographed fight scene, but really have no idea where to start. I was wondering if any of you guys could give some input on what you feel makes a good fight scene. We are just doing this for fun and just want to see what we can produce. I know angles is a big deal and not trying make it like Taken 2 where there were just quick flashes and that was it.
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This is one of my more favorite threads, so I gotta give it a bump.

But apparently there is going to be a Bloodsport remake. The focus will be on Vale Tudo in Brazil. The script is being revised now and shooting is set to start the Beginning of next year. Not idea on who has been cast yet.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bloodsport-Remake-Happening-38707.html

Also does anyone have any experience with filming? Me and some of my martial arts buddies were thinking of making a short choreographed fight scene, but really have no idea where to start. I was wondering if any of you guys could give some input on what you feel makes a good fight scene. We are just doing this for fun and just want to see what we can produce. I know angles is a big deal and not trying make it like Taken 2 where there were just quick flashes and that was it.

They should not remake Bloodsprt. Leave a classic a classic. Next thing you know they will be making a live action Baki movie. LOL!!!
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
  • Ninja PhilosopherNinja Philosopher The Claw Of God Joined: Posts: 654
    Well been a long time since I posted on this kind of thread.

I recently watched Undisputed 2 & 3, old I know but I was surprised at how good they actually were. Scott Adkins was legendary for me.
    Otherwise I'm excited for Ip Man 3 and anything good with Jackie Chan. I watched Iron Monkey and Rapid Fire the other day, two great films.

I want to know if Jackie Chan will be awesome in Expendables 3 (if he confirms joining), I know it aint a martial arts films but Jet Li gave it that punch.
    Like a ninja, I sneak and fight.
    Like a philosopher, I speak and write.
    Subscribe to Lymbros. We ain't great but we are working on it. We do comedies, gaming and music though not much content is up yet. Stay tuned.cI play all fighting games and any other. Vega! If you wish to challenge my awesome ninja skills then message me :D XBL: DAKO360 WOLF. Not always me on. USF4: Vega all the way! Sub Decapre, Rolento, Guy, Cody. AM ALSO AVERAGE WITH ALL CHARACTERS; UMvC3: Taskmaster/Ghost Rider/Dormammu.MK9: Reptile/Smoke. SC5: Xiba, Kilik, Natsu, Nightmare, Yoshitinmapants, Ezio and Raphael.SF3TS: Yang Remy Twelve.
    Also play a majority of games.
    As an aspiring actor, writer and musician; I welcome you to ask of my assistance. Do not hesitate to also ask for my wisdom upon chosen characters on any game. Thus if you have nowhere to turn to in times of need, then I am your ally. Now respect your peers. And may they respect you.
    Also I am not sure if this has been posted but the Expendables 3 posters are out and it has Jackie Chan, Steven Segal and Wesley Snipes. I hope they keep the original cast as well so we can maybe see Chan and Li do some tag team fighting.
    expendables-3-jackie-chan-620x918.jpg
    Also here is the trailer for Barrio Brawl. It looks okay. It kind of reminds me of Redbelt a bit, just with more fighting.
    edited July 2013
    Sorry for all the posts, but I finally have time to talk shop a bit, lol.
    Iceman 3D trailer if you haven't seen it.

Ubeatable Trailer.

Wrath of the Vajra trailer.
    Man that Iceman looks so much better then the other preview i saw awhile back...Still though not sure if im feeling a more serious version of this, i always thought Yuen Biao Iceman Cometh had so much charm to it.

Holyshit how many Donnie Yen movies does this guy do in a year...

Also i think i just jizz my pants to that Wrath of Vajra trailer, never heard of it but look awesome!
    Also Keanu Reeves 47 Ronin - Dude still thinks he inside the matrix...