The Martial Arts Movie Thread 2017 Donnie hates his fans.

Comments

• Dj Hyper KidDj Hyper Kid The Nati Kid Joined: Posts: 5,491
    Not sure if I posted this yet. But Tony jaa and his crew just wrapped up on Tom Yum Goong and it is set to release in Thailand in August (not sure the exact date though).
    http://www.budomate.com/tony-jaa-protector/

Bouncer Trailer:

The Monkey King:

No Way as Way:
    Also i got the itch to enhance my martial arts movie collection. Is it worth buying Hong Kong blu ray releases or getting the American release? I am about to start buying mass Blu Ray movies and I am making a list as to what I need.
  • Ninja PhilosopherNinja Philosopher The Claw Of God Joined: Posts: 654
    Probably the American. You'll get both languages that way and possibly more features.
    Like a ninja, I sneak and fight.
    Like a philosopher, I speak and write.
    Subscribe to Lymbros. We ain't great but we are working on it. We do comedies, gaming and music though not much content is up yet. Stay tuned.cI play all fighting games and any other. Vega! If you wish to challenge my awesome ninja skills then message me :D XBL: DAKO360 WOLF. Not always me on. USF4: Vega all the way! Sub Decapre, Rolento, Guy, Cody. AM ALSO AVERAGE WITH ALL CHARACTERS; UMvC3: Taskmaster/Ghost Rider/Dormammu.MK9: Reptile/Smoke. SC5: Xiba, Kilik, Natsu, Nightmare, Yoshitinmapants, Ezio and Raphael.SF3TS: Yang Remy Twelve.
    Also play a majority of games.
    As an aspiring actor, writer and musician; I welcome you to ask of my assistance. Do not hesitate to also ask for my wisdom upon chosen characters on any game. Thus if you have nowhere to turn to in times of need, then I am your ally. Now respect your peers. And may they respect you.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ummm...is this another movie where a white guy is a better japanese warrior than the actual japanese?
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,259 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Get that fake ass Roadhouse outta here :rofl:
    Roadhouse was great. But no one should try an kill it.
    Subscribe to Lymbros. We ain't great but we are working on it. We do comedies, gaming and music though not much content is up yet. Stay tuned.cI play all fighting games and any other. Vega! If you wish to challenge my awesome ninja skills then message me :D XBL: DAKO360 WOLF. Not always me on. USF4: Vega all the way! Sub Decapre, Rolento, Guy, Cody. AM ALSO AVERAGE WITH ALL CHARACTERS; UMvC3: Taskmaster/Ghost Rider/Dormammu.MK9: Reptile/Smoke. SC5: Xiba, Kilik, Natsu, Nightmare, Yoshitinmapants, Ezio and Raphael.SF3TS: Yang Remy Twelve.
    As an aspiring actor, writer and musician; I welcome you to ask of my assistance. Do not hesitate to also ask for my wisdom upon chosen characters on any game. Thus if you have nowhere to turn to in times of need, then I am your ally. Now respect your peers. And may they respect you.
    RockBogart wrote: »
    Get that fake ass Roadhouse outta here :rofl:
    I know right. Like they tried to make a darker Roadhouse.
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,272
    Man that has got to be the worse remake of all time...First why would you remake Roadhouse? Also you would think they would put some kind of quote like "I thought you would be bigger" or some shit like that.
    edited July 2013
    Seriously how the fuck do you lose your elephant twice...

Also is that Billy Banks son?
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,664 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    tyg2 is in 3d....hahahahahahahhahahahahhaha
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,244
    edited July 2013
    lol, my bad
    Post edited by Sexperienced. on
  • angelpalmangelpalm They're for the bullet holes, puta! Joined: Posts: 22,914 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So they are making an Apollo Creed spinoff? Stallone will appear in it as Rocky.
    http://www.cityonfire.com/stallone-to-appear-as-rocky-in-creed-spinoff/

And besides from Bloodsport being remade, there is also a Kickboxer remake in the works. Stephen Fung (Tai Chi Zero) is supposed to be directing it.
    http://www.cityonfire.com/stephen-fung-to-reboot-van-damme’s-kickboxer/
    News on TYG2. It's nice that Jeeja Yanin (Chocolate) is getting a nice sized role in this movie. And RZA has a role as well. You can read the full article here

Also here is the official teaser trailer for TYG2.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,565
    Only three more signatures are needed...
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,479
    Has anyone watched The Rebel? I have it on DVD, but I've never gotten around to watch it.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    The Rebel is... ok.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    The Rebel is... ok.

I'll take that as it's not that spectacular. So far the martial arts films I own are:

Ninja Assassin
    Jet Li's Unleashed, Fearless, anf Fist of Legend
    Spirited Killer
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Jackie Chan Spiritual Kung Fu
    Volcano High
    Kung Fu Dunk
    Shinobi
    The Executioner
    The Rebel
    Chocolate

I need into some Donnie Yen film, though.

"Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."

I just signed it. Apparently I was the last one needed.
    Dramatix wrote: »

You have just done a great thing my good sir.

As far as your list, you may need to get your martial arts movie weight up.
    If you are looking for Donnie Yen, then check out Ip Man and Flashpoint. Chocolate is a good movie. Also not for the story but for the choreography I would suggest Undisputed 3. Marko Zaror and Scott Adkins did really good work together and it was nice seeing crisp choreography. What martial arts movies have you seen or what type are you into (wire fu, realistic, kung fu).

I am actually about to order some Martial arts BR's but I can only order three for the time being. These are what I am looking at:
    The Raid: Redemption
    Marentau
    Ip Man
    TYG1
    Ong Bak1
    Kung Fu Hustle
    13 Assassins

Right now it's looking like Ip Man, TYG 1 and The Raid may get bought.
    Get 13 Assassins, Marentau, & Raid...

I dont think i have any kung fu bluray movies...Are they worth the upgrade from dvd? I think i have like 100+ kung fu movies. Haven't bought movies in a long time.

You have just done a great thing my good sir.

As far as your list, you may need to get your martial arts movie weight up.
    If you are looking for Donnie Yen, then check out Ip Man and Flashpoint. Chocolate is a good movie. Also not for the story but for the choreography I would suggest Undisputed 3. Marko Zaror and Scott Adkins did really good work together and it was nice seeing crisp choreography. What martial arts movies have you seen or what type are you into (wire fu, realistic, kung fu).

I am actually about to order some Martial arts BR's but I can only order three for the time being. These are what I am looking at:
    The Raid: Redemption
    Marentau
    Ip Man
    TYG1
    Ong Bak1
    Kung Fu Hustle
    13 Assassins

Right now it's looking like Ip Man, TYG 1 and The Raid may get bought.

Usually when I go to Arundel Mills, I check out the movie stand by the Dave & Buster's where they show martial arts films. That's where I usually get my movies from as I recall.

I've heard a lot of good things about Ip Man and seen fight scenes of it. It's very good. Flashpoint, I may have seen. It's hard to say what I'm into, but I would say choreography. I love it when a good movie gets me pumped, so I would say realistic. I'm a big fan of cat fights, too.
    The Rebel is... ok.

Interestingly, Dragon (Wu Xia) was waaayyyyy better than what the trailers made it seem to be and it's really good.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    rcaido wrote: »
    Get 13 Assassins, Marentau, & Raid...

I dont think i have any kung fu bluray movies...Are they worth the upgrade from dvd? I think i have like 100+ kung fu movies. Haven't bought movies in a long time.

I like Marentau, but I felt it was a light verson compared to The Raid. I will buy 13 Assassins. As far as Kung Fu movies, I know Enter the Dragon on Blu Ray has mass features and extra content. I would like to get Jackie Chan's Legend of Drunken master even if it's for the ending fight against Ken Lo.

I am also interested in some Wu jing movies as well, not quite sure where to start.

The Rebel is... ok.

Interestingly, Dragon (Wu Xia) was waaayyyyy better than what the trailers made it seem to be and it's really good.

If it wasn't for the lame ass ending, this could have been an all time classic film.

As for Wu Jing a.k.a Jacky Wu movies- my suggestion would be Tai Chi 2, Fatal Contact, & Legendary Assassin. He is the main in those films, pretty much the rest of his films he does supporting cast.
    edited July 2013
    did some weird watchdog inspired shoot today. its probably gonna end up being 5-10 min thing in the end. reconnected with a stunt friend of mine and met another stunt guy. plan on doing some stuff later down the line, hopefully get some cool projects ive had in my head for a while off the ground. It's my first time working with some stunt guys finally, it was good to know i actually know some things after all these years of being stuck in a dojo lol.

fun sf4 style ultra combo video from the thousand pound guys
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UR5wXrak2k4

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    maxx wrote: »
    did some weird watchdog inspired shoot today. its probably gonna end up being 5-10 min thing in the end. reconnected with a stunt friend of mine and met another stunt guy. plan on doing some stuff later down the line, hopefully get some cool projects ive had in my head for a while off the ground. It's my first time working with some stunt guys finally, it was good to know i actually know some things after all these years of being stuck in a dojo lol.

I spoke with someone else on here about possibly doing a 5-10 min shoot. I have some ideas as well, but really don't know where to begin as far as shooting fight scenes. It's basically something me and my martial arts buddies want to try out (one does Capoeira, another does TKD and I do Judo). So do you have any advice with shooting your first fight scene?

I spoke with someone else on here about possibly doing a 5-10 min shoot. I have some ideas as well, but really don't know where to begin as far as shooting fight scenes. It's basically something me and my martial arts buddies want to try out (one does Capoeira, another does TKD and I do Judo). So do you have any advice with shooting your first fight scene?

Ask Sammo, he's the best fight choreographer alive. :)
    Are there any films centered around Aikido if anyone knows of any?
    Are there any films centered around Aikido if anyone knows of any?

The only one i know is Steven Seagal...Check out his early films when he was still skinny like Above the Law.

edited July 2013

honestly i always think of a few shots, reaction shots, close up of techniques, and wide shot of the whole scene. Im literally just getting into it, i just know martial arts, i'm not a specific stylist either since ive been doing it since i was a kid. All the movie stuff ive learned from just watching behind the scene stuff and watching indy guys. i think your best bet is to watch how stunt guys in america edit their stuff and they release alot of the behind the scene stuff they do.

check out lbp chicago stunts, thousand pounds action, vlad https://www.youtube.com/user/vjvlad?feature=watch ,old zero gravity videos.

its always better to have longer scenes than choppy over edited ones.

also think logically if your doing a stunt scene...if you establish you got a capoeira guy and a tkd guy...the capoeira guy isnt gonna suddenly in the middle of the fight work the ground and then be mike tyson. you can bend the rules of styles, just dont go outlandish. id personally pick a fight style you wanna emulate in terms of stunts, do you want a jackie chan type scene, jason bourne, down and gritty realistic, ect.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Talking about doing fight scenes reminded me of see this a couple of years ago.

C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
    Gimpy wrote: »

wonder if those guys are still in the industry.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • Keepin'em HonestKeepin'em Honest Da Last Real N*gga Left Joined: Posts: 763
    Just finished watchin' The Last Dragon and now I wonder whatever happened to the remake, did they can it? If so, thank God.

Wonder why I'm even wasting my time
    Even replying to letcha know I don't feel you
    Fuck 'em!

-TI-
    I want Jackie, Donnie and Jet in a film together. And I don't meant that one historical one that had them poster but hardlyfeatured them. Gosh, epic proportions would be so tasteful.
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Gimpy wrote: »

wonder if those guys are still in the industry.

http://www.justice-for-hire.com/live/

I think they are. Looks like they have a kickstarter.
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
    I want Jackie, Donnie and Jet in a film together. And I don't meant that one historical one that had them poster but hardlyfeatured them. Gosh, epic proportions would be so tasteful.

too many cooks in the kitchen imo.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    I want one more Sammo, Jackie, & Biao trio before its too late...
  • angelpalmangelpalm They're for the bullet holes, puta! Joined: Posts: 22,914 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

honestly i always think of a few shots, reaction shots, close up of techniques, and wide shot of the whole scene. Im literally just getting into it, i just know martial arts, i'm not a specific stylist either since ive been doing it since i was a kid. All the movie stuff ive learned from just watching behind the scene stuff and watching indy guys. i think your best bet is to watch how stunt guys in america edit their stuff and they release alot of the behind the scene stuff they do.

check out lbp chicago stunts, thousand pounds action, vlad https://www.youtube.com/user/vjvlad?feature=watch ,old zero gravity videos.

its always better to have longer scenes than choppy over edited ones.

also think logically if your doing a stunt scene...if you establish you got a capoeira guy and a tkd guy...the capoeira guy isnt gonna suddenly in the middle of the fight work the ground and then be mike tyson. you can bend the rules of styles, just dont go outlandish. id personally pick a fight style you wanna emulate in terms of stunts, do you want a jackie chan type scene, jason bourne, down and gritty realistic, ect.

Thanks man. I have been into martial arts since a kid thanks to my dad exposing me to it (RIP dad). I know martial arts as in I studied Aikido and Judo but I mainly trained and competed in Judo. I have always been into wanting to film my own stuff, but really don't know the first thing. Like you I have tons of Ideas, just not the knowledge of putting them into play. But I appreciate the insight and info, I actually showed this to some of my friends and they are digging it as well. Oh I started a FB group about everything martial arts (movies, manga, etc) so feel free to join if you like (this is for all of SRK as well). I am the admin on there so (Jim Kelly profile pic, lol).
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/thefightshop/
    So there really isn't much to report in the martial arts movie vein, except that Donnie Yen is filming yet another movie. This time it is called "Last of the Best". You can head over to HKSAR blog to see some behind the scenes shots and read the full story.

Oh and here is a teaser poster for the movie.
    947217_572874899424321_1759332780_n1.jpg
    angelpalm wrote: »
    How can a black person not know about them Seagal movies?

is he a fave with black people? news to me...i liked him, but because i like akido and doing wrist locks

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    I want one more Sammo, Jackie, & Biao trio before its too late...

Gotta have all the other Yuen's in it to lol.
    edited August 2013
    angelpalm wrote: »
    How can a black person not know about them Seagal movies?

I've seen clips, but it's not much in my opinion. He's far from bad, though.
    New Hong Kong action flick is in the work. It's called "The Feud". It is written by Chad/Carey Hayes (The Conjuring). Not too much on who is going to be in it but since it will be big budget I am hoping for Li or Cow Yun Fat. You can head to City on Fire for the full read.
    news011112-2pic.jpeg
    Saw first half of Wong Kar Wai's arts fartsy Grandmaster...Holyshit, its like watching Ashes of Time all over again...The only difference is no windy flying hair...Sheesh this movie is a mess, should i bother watching the 2nd half?
    Saw first half of Wong Kar Wai's arts fartsy Grandmaster...Holyshit, its like watching Ashes of Time all over again...The only difference is no windy flying hair...Sheesh this movie is a mess, should i bother watching the 2nd half?
    I have been somewhat interested in watching it, but was unsure. I feel like I need to watch it basically to say I have seen it.
    I studied some wing chun, jeet kune do, aikido, muay Thai and some of snake and mantis. But I figured I'm mainly great at mimicking which is why I developed high in MA classes but others I've just picked off books or movies. I know, not great but I know something.
    Plus I learned wing chunk off my dad who learned from Shaun Raudcliffe who learned of Ip Chun.
    Aikido from class, jeet kune do from Bruce Lee's book, must Thai from my dad and snake and mantis from class. I have to think of all genres in acting so you know ;)