WANTED: Tips to help an SSFIV:AE player transition to SFxT.

AnnihilationscapeAnnihilationscape The World WarriorJoined: Posts: 708
Title. With SFxT ver. 2013 and the fact that I got it in the SF 25th Anniversary box, I figure I might as well pick it up! Right now, I know I'm doing it wrong because I'm playing this thing like SFIV, but I know I shouldn't be.

So, I'm looking for things like: What skills transfer nicely from SFIV? Habits to maintain? Things to do completely different? Old habits to break? (Links to any other threads asking these same things are also fine, I didn't see any but it's cool)

Thanks in advance, everyone.
"Your moves are weak and your style is a joke! What were you thinking?!"
- Ken Masters

Comments

• GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    I won't be able to give you much advice past the basics but this is what I've found out while learning it myself:

* Don't get hit. This is a 'no-duh' kind of thing, but in SFxT it's almost like Marvel in that any stray hit can be converted into a good chunk of your bar.
    * 90% of the time, :l::m::h::h: will do more damage then whatever fancy combo you've got planned. This kind of sucks but whatever.
    * You need to learn new oki. Instead of ambiguous crossup, you will be guessing their front/back rolls and punishing accordingly.
  • AnnihilationscapeAnnihilationscape The World Warrior Joined: Posts: 708
    Thanks, man, good tips. Any others out there?
    "Your moves are weak and your style is a joke! What were you thinking?!"
    - Ken Masters
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Used Member Joined: Posts: 728 ✭✭✭
    * 90% of the time, :l::m::h::h: will do more damage then whatever fancy combo you've got planned. This kind of sucks but whatever.

This is not true. Linked combos will net you more damage. First 10 hits in a combo are the most important in SFxT, if players bothered to learn links and juggles better, they would see it easily.

Anyways.
    Learn to play footsies. Yeah, LMHH works, but you can get more out of boost combos by playing footsies with longer ranged normals and still boost chain. Rather than trying to bulldog your way into jab/short range, you can use mediums and boost chain(ie>MK>HK>HK). You can also combo normals in Raw Launchers, so LP>HP+HK, or HK>HP+HK will get you launches that won't work against the damage scaling as much as LMHH

Be wary that in 2013, Boost combos are vastly more punishable, and not just the LMHH ones. There are character specific things, but generally, L>M quickly or L>M>H quickly counts as a boost combo too, so if you see an opponent blocking your boost chain and you try to stall it, you'll probably get punished. Ask around the SFxT forums for character specific stuff.

Be careful about using too many low pokes. One of the most slept on mechanics in SFxT is Raw Launching(HP+HK), which crushes all low normal attacks. You have to train yourself to not be obvious(Like jump, then low attack everytime), and you have to be willing to use it if you see someone mashing low attacks(Rufus crouching LK for example). You can shut down game plans if you can make the right reads.

Throws and Techs......be sure you can tech throws, and be willing to use them yourself, as they now remove your opponent's recoverable life, which leads to some pretty dynamic momentum shifts in 2013. Alot of players transitioning from SF4 seem to love doing Jab/Jab Throw, so being able to tech will get you around that.

Rolls are very punishable now, so the only time you should do forward rolls on wakeup is if your opponent has already committed to something while you're waking up. Be mindful of what your opponent is up to. Unless they try to jump for a wakeup crossup, just block!

Don't start with charge characters(Guile,Rog,Bison,Vega,Blanka) when you're first learning the game, IMO. They are workable, but have a great deal of limitations compared to what the Tekken cast brings to the table, and unless you're fairly adept at SFxT's system, you'll find yourself constantly boost comboing and struggling against the sheer amount of stuff the Tekken characters can throw at you, particularly comboable overheads. Move onto them after you've got some general knowledge of the character matchups.

Pick a Tekken character. Picking 2 SF characters is nice comfort zone if you're transitioning, but the Tekken cast has some dynamically different playstyles than what you'll see in SF, so it's a good idea to experiment with them just to see what they're all about.

Learn to push offensively. Zoning is still a viable strategy in this, but it's not like SF4 where you can zone until you have your opponents fearing an Ultra. Zoning works, but don't make it your playstyle at the expense of everything else. You can stage huge comebacks in this game if you know how, and there's no comeback mechanic like Ultra or MVC3. Just have to be willing to do it and be able to pressure, even if it goes against your playstyle. Reversals are not as brain dead in this as SF4, so work on pressuring with crossups, and be aware that you can get away with more setups than you could in SF4.

Run through the trial mode a few times to get the system mechanics down, cuz there's quite a few in play. Played a guy last night who had no idea how to raw tag(MP+MK), so he was stranding himself with one character and trying to boost combo to get his other character in. Hard Knockdowns that can't be quickstanded from are good times to raw tag(Throws for example)
    If your character gets low on health, get them out, even if it means the incoming character is gonna eat some damage.

Manage your meter. Very important in this game. Alpha Counters, Tag Cancels, EX Moves are typically more important than landing supers or Cross Arts, so try to manage your meter well. You'll see players doing lots of crazy long, 3 meter tag cancels, but keep in mind that damage scaling kicks in fiercely above 10 hits, so make sure the first 10 are worth it. The rest is just showmanship.

Gems. Use them. Don't hate them. Got a character that has low health? Reinforce it. Got a character that doesn't do a
    lot of solo damage? Use Damage gems. Wanna earn meter faster? Use meter gems. You don't have to buy any if you don't want, and there's also free downloadable sample packs that will increase your options. Whether or not you like the concept, it's part of the game, and you can come up with some interesting combinations with activation effects to help character deficiencies.

Hope that helps, enjoy the game.
    GT: AlphaZero
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Used Member Joined: Posts: 728 ✭✭✭