Skullgirls Players in Japan

CellsaiCellsai A Debby DownerJoined: Posts: 178
If the UK players can try and get something sorted then why can't we?

I'm just curious to see how many of us are out there. Maybe we can get some sessions going or just show it off at other events until everyone's playing it :D

I'm loosely in the Tokyo area. Right on the border with Yamanashi.
Launch party erry day
Cellsai.deviantART.com

Comments

• worldjem7worldjem7 Seven World Jems Joined: Posts: 544
    これは日本のフォルムへ話しましょうと思いませんか。
    ここに話していいですけど、ここにたいてい英語を話します。
    たくさん日本人を見つけられませんと思っています。
  • DoshingtonDoshington Joined: Posts: 82
    I used to live in Japan, but I'm back in NY now :(. Hopefully I'll be able to live in Japan again :(.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭
    I am in Yokohama. Just got fiber internet 2 weeks ago. Hit me up on PSN if you want to play matches (ukyo_rulz). Are there any FG events in the Tokyo area where Skullgirls can be played? I've personally been trying to attend FRB but they somehow always choose the only Saturday of every month where I have work.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • CellsaiCellsai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 178
    これは日本のフォルムへ話しましょうと思いませんか。
    ここに話していいですけど、ここにたいてい英語を話します。
    たくさん日本人を見つけられませんと思っています。
    Yar, I know there won't be many people here because of the language barrier, but I'm sure there's still a couple. (My Japanese is awful. I used Google Translate here :P)
    I am in Yokohama. Just got fiber internet 2 weeks ago. Hit me up on PSN if you want to play matches (ukyo_rulz). Are there any FG events in the Tokyo area where Skullgirls can be played? I've personally been trying to attend FRB but they somehow always choose the only Saturday of every month where I have work.
    Haha, same for me XD I keep trying to go and something keeps coming up. The times I have gone I always try slapping on SG for a while on the casuals set up. I don't really know of any other events.

My internet is also garbage. I have one of those portable WiMax majiggers from au, but my apartment is in a really bad reception spot. SG's magic netcode has let me play online with other Japanese players though. My PSN is Cellsai.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • LSlickLSlick Joined: Posts: 188
    Yar, I know there won't be many people here because of the language barrier, but I'm sure there's still a couple. (My Japanese is awful. I used Google Translate here :P)

Haha, same for me XD I keep trying to go and something keeps coming up. The times I have gone I always try slapping on SG for a while on the casuals set up. I don't really know of any other events.

My internet is also garbage. I have one of those portable WiMax majiggers from au, but my apartment is in a really bad reception spot. SG's magic netcode has let me play online with other Japanese players though. My PSN is Cellsai.
    I know this isn't the place to ask but I was wondering, how exactly do you overcome the language barrier since you live in Japan but your Japanese isn't the best? I am actually curious about that...And I thought Japanese internet was good D:
    I know this isn't the place to ask but I was wondering, how exactly do you overcome the language barrier since you live in Japan but your Japanese isn't the best? I am actually curious about that...And I thought Japanese internet was good D:

If you're in Japan and don't know Japanese, unfortunately you're usually hosed unless you've got a special arrangement (embassy/company work where they speak your language, international exchange program, etc.). Fortunately, if you're learning Japanese while you're there, it usually comes pretty quick despite how difficult it can be to master- being thrown headfirst into a situation where you can't survive without a certain skill will do that to you.

When I was in an exchange program, I joined the school's Aikido club without knowing much Japanese at all, and over 6 months I went from communicating mostly through hand gestures to understand most of what everybody can say (and being able to discern any words I didn't know through context or being able to ask what it meant). I'm a lot better at Japanese now than I used to be... but I don't live there anymore :(.

Japanese internet is pretty awesome, but surprisingly there are a lot of "dead zones"... sort of like how FIOS is super awesome for everybody in the USA if it's actually available. I know that outside of the bigger cities it can be surprisingly hard to find internet hotspots and fast connections and etc. Another bonus here is that I feel a lot of Japanese people aren't as proficient with the internet and computers as they might seem- I have a ton of friends there who were surprisingly out-of-the-loop when it came to doing anything with a PC outside of Microsoft Office >_>.
    So is anyone planning on hitting up Final Round Bats in Tokyo this month? http://finalroundbats.blogspot.jp/p/frb.html?m=1
    It's primarilly UMvC3 and Tekken, but there's usually a casuals machine that Skullgirls can be stuck on :) Plus there's pizza.
    Pretty much what Doshington said. I'm an English teacher in a school with 15 Japanese teachera of English ao I have no trouble communixating. They help out with any linguistic problems I come across for the most part. That combined with being actively discouraged to use Japanese in work means it's a little hard to practice. (And I'm mad lazy)
    As for internet, I use a portable WiFi dongle thing that works fine in most major cities at a nice fast pace, but my town is a little rural and my apartment is in the shadow of a mountain that blocks virtually all or the signal we do get.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • BrandXBrandX Spark for the future Joined: Posts: 677
    |||PSN: KingdomKeyGX|||
    Plays: Skullgirls
    Wants to help bring SkullGirls back!~ Uses a solo character: Fillia
    YouTube Channel: PhantomMinaX1
  • javlojavlo Joined: Posts: 32
    Now I'm wondering if I should buy the game for the PS3; since I already have the 360 version.

That's pretty nice. I thought they'd have a higher chance of a disc release there? (I remember reading that the Japanese market wasn't big about DLCs)
    I hope that they find the time to make an arcade cabinet for Skullgirls, as much as I've been repeating it over and over.

Most fighting game fans to my experience liked to hang out at the bigger arcades in Tokyo (there's one in Takada no Baba in particular where I think they have some famous pro tournaments), and I have no doubt that if they put a single one in there, it'll pique some interest. Get a bit lucky with the right ad placements or posters and etc. and soon enough there might just be a demand for more machines in more arcades, and etc.

I swear, I feel like this game is exactly the kind of game that can turn some heads in Japan...
  • KorbidonKorbidon Crouch strong all day. Joined: Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭✭
    I live in the middle of the mountains of Hokkaido. Wi-Fi hotspots are not a thing out here.

I also can't speak Japanese.

Hit me up for Skullgirls PSN: KorbidonJP
    Excellent news!
    That's pretty nice. I thought they'd have a higher chance of a disc release there? (I remember reading that the Japanese market wasn't big about DLCs)
    I hope that they find the time to make an arcade cabinet for Skullgirls, as much as I've been repeating it over and over.

Most fighting game fans to my experience liked to hang out at the bigger arcades in Tokyo (there's one in Takada no Baba in particular where I think they have some famous pro tournaments), and I have no doubt that if they put a single one in there, it'll pique some interest. Get a bit lucky with the right ad placements or posters and etc. and soon enough there might just be a demand for more machines in more arcades, and etc.

I swear, I feel like this game is exactly the kind of game that can turn some heads in Japan...
    I know Peter has said in the past that a disc or arcade release would be ideal for Japan, but I imagine it's a lot cheaper to get a game out on PSN than a physical release. There's probably all sorts of hidden fees in getting a game onto Nesica cabinets, let alone producing their own stand alone machine. I'd guess it'd be released through other routes if it was possible.

However, time to make the best of the situation! I mentioned Final Round Bats 07 up above. That event is primarily based around the console exclusive UMvC3 and a lot of the players are former/current MvC2 players, so there's a good chance at player crossovers. This'd be a good time to show up in force to rep the game!

I left a message on the FRB event page and Scott is open to a casual mini launch tournament. Let's do this!
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • RavidrathRavidrath Joined: Posts: 761
    Another publisher we were talking to wanted to do a disc release after more characters were completed, but that fell through. Cyberfront was happy to just stick to the PSN release.

They even translated all the combo words, BTW.
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,022
    They even translated all the combo words, BTW.
    OK OK OK, just out of curiosity... what is 69's "Dude!" in Japanese? :p
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
    OK OK OK, just out of curiosity... what is 69's "Dude!" in Japanese? :p

エクセレント!
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Excellent? That's pretty weak. >_>

Congrats Ravidrath, your team definitely deserves good things.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
    Excellent news!

I know Peter has said in the past that a disc or arcade release would be ideal for Japan, but I imagine it's a lot cheaper to get a game out on PSN than a physical release. There's probably all sorts of hidden fees in getting a game onto Nesica cabinets, let alone producing their own stand alone machine. I'd guess it'd be released through other routes if it was possible.

However, time to make the best of the situation! I mentioned Final Round Bats 07 up above. That event is primarily based around the console exclusive UMvC3 and a lot of the players are former/current MvC2 players, so there's a good chance at player crossovers. This'd be a good time to show up in force to rep the game!

I left a message on the FRB event page and Scott is open to a casual mini launch tournament. Let's do this!
    If you happen to get other skullgirls players there, you should record it via camcorder that way we can all see your playstyle :D :D :D
    If you happen to get other skullgirls players there, you should record it via camcorder that way we can all see your playstyle :D :D :D
    Put a bunch of rocks and your arcade stick in a washing machine and you should get a good idea of what my play style looks like. I am fantastically awful at this game :D
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
    Put a bunch of rocks and your arcade stick in a washing machine and you should get a good idea of what my play style looks like. I am fantastically awful at this game :D
    lol This post has made my day so much better after a bad day at work :D :D :D...Thank you so much :D :D
    And besides, I suck at this game too so I'm sure we both play just as badly lol
  • JakeWasHereJakeWasHere FGC N3wb Joined: Posts: 296
    >suddenly wonders about the Japanese for "anatiferous"
    Oh man, his Japanese ad copy is making me sad... ;_;
    Moe and cartoon-like characters battle in high speed!!
    2D fighting game "Skullgirls" is coming to PS3!
    Skullgirls is a fast-paced 2D fighting game which has the elements like Japanese animation and cartoon. Smooth and comical animations with beautiful girls, and big combo actions are the game's features. Enjoy “Dark Deco” world with the “Skull Heart” which has the power to grant a young woman’s wishes, and the girls around that.
    You must see the characters moving smoothly like cartoon, and the big attacking motion, and the MOE and ANIME girls. In story mode, you can watch each character's unique episodes with many event CG.
    >suddenly wonders about the Japanese for "anatiferous"

First one I checked...
    べらぼう: absurd; unreasonable; awful

Obviously they're not all direct translations. When possible I think they tried to keep the intent or the joke, otherwise they just used weird descriptive words.
    Moe.
    Classic.
    Oh, hey, I can actually pick up one of these Famitsus for once! (And have no idea what it's talking about) Woo~
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    Oh man, his Japanese ad copy is making me sad... ;_;
    Can't say it was surprising how they would try to attract people to this game based on the aesthetics this game has lol.
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
    Can't say it was surprising how they would try to attract people to this game based on the aesthetics this game has lol.

Yeah, but I don't think there's actually anything very "moe" in Skullgirls at all?

No one will say "Uguu" until Umbrella's out, and that'll be satirical. And no one trips constantly, needs protecting, etc.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Is there a way to bring the English Combo words on the Japan version? Like by changing language settings?
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    Yeah, but I don't think there's actually anything very "moe" in Skullgirls at all?
    According to this Filia and Carol most certainly qualify. Peacock too with some strangeness on your part (which never was a problem for Japanese in the first place). Marie to some extent I guess...
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
    Is there a way to bring the English Combo words on the Japan version? Like by changing language settings?

As far as I know, the game just detects your system language and displays the entire game in that language.
    So the whole game should be in English if your system is set to English.
    Yeah, but I don't think there's actually anything very "moe" in Skullgirls at all? And no one trips constantly, needs protecting, etc.
    Just gonna leave these here..

CdTGTiF.png vLJaQcX.png
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
    Just gonna leave these here..

vLJaQcX.png

If we ever get to put her in, Lunch is going to beat ass.

STEAMING BAO!

It's going to be so awesome and adorable.
    STEAMING BAO!
    Damn. Got in there before I replaced that humongous first image.

Second stretch goal should be Minette. First one would be met within minutes (I took the high road and didn't Ms.Fortune this one) just to get to the second.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    I bet Minette will be a pro with throwing knives and acrobratics.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    Also, to reference SNK vs. Capcom: Cardfighter's Clash, sometimes she'd have to refer to bao as "meat muffins."
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX SSJizzle XVampire G.Jr Joined: Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moe money, moe problems.

1up.com writer used "Shaking their moe money-makers" for an article that included the closings of retro game stores for even more maid cafes and anime advertisements based around the moe concept, that needs to goe, mon. Goemon > moe "men"

http://www.1up.com/features/japan-changing-face-retro-gaming
    linked in that one >> http://www.1up.com/features/reality-check-truth-perverted-japanese
    'Nobody should worry about being wrong in an SRK Mafia game, Everyone is wrong!' And they don't care too much that they were. They might be wrong 10 times in a row! They might not give a damn to even read and consider last gasps!
    'Shoryuken Mafia Games' | anagrams to | Freak Mushy Egomanias
    'shoryuken dot com' | anagrams to | 'Not moody shucker'
    'yous a bitch' | anagrams to | 'Touchy bias' Yusuke plays Skullgirls for the "story"
    WTFAKUMAHAX > this thread.

• KristophKristoph sing my lullaby Joined: Posts: 425
    Mike Z voicing Impure Minette was awesome

Can that be canon please =(
    skullheart.com for skullgirls stuff
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948

STEAMING BAO!

So if Filia&Samson are going with the intro of:
    "- Who are they?
    - Lunch!"

She'll answer "- How do you know my nickname? O_o", yes? =]
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
    So if Filia&Samson are going with the intro of:
    "- Who are they?
    - Lunch!"

She'll answer "- How do you know my nickname? o_O", yes? =]

Haha.
  • Sanger ZonvoltSanger Zonvolt Future Cyberbots Pro Joined: Posts: 1,528

No one will say "Uguu" until Umbrella's out, and that'll be satirical. And no one trips constantly, needs protecting, etc.
    Painwheel exist though.
    Sword of Sophia and fightan games
    Cyberbots: Super-8 & Helion
    Vampire Savior: Lilith, Jedah, and Demitri
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Filia/Squigly
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Japan will get into the game at all? It has two things going against it:

It's based on Marvel 2 and that was anything but popular in Japan.

Even though it looks very anime it doesn't really play like an anime fighter.

Not trying to hate, just saying don't get your hopes up that Tokido will be playing it.
    STOMP!
  • DeepEndDeepEnd Joined: Posts: 121
    Will the japanese version be a direct port with only jpn text, or will it have japanese voiceacting too

I want Miyuki Sawashiro as Valentine then.

Also, will there then a patch so that we in the west get jpn voices too in the options menu?
    (Oh man I can already hear the shitstorms on whos voice is better in which language)
    I wonder if Japan will get into the game at all? It has two things going against it:

It's based on Marvel 2 and that was anything but popular in Japan.

Even though it looks very anime it doesn't really play like an anime fighter.

Not trying to hate, just saying don't get your hopes up that Tokido will be playing it.

Tokido signed up to play Skullgirls at Shadowloo Showdown.

The reason he didn't end up playing was because it clashed with his other games, because the dude signed up for everything.

I really....think most people on SRK don't understand the Japanese fighting game market. Between the lore, the art and the system, Japanese players would eat up Skullgirls. It's primary problem is going to be it's a digital release, and lack of exposure.
  • MakrossMakross Average Joe Joined: Posts: 158
    Will the japanese version be a direct port with only jpn text, or will it have japanese voiceacting too
    I want Miyuki Sawashiro as Valentine then.
    Also, will there then a patch so that we in the west get jpn voices too in the options menu?
    (Oh man I can already hear the shitstorms on whos voice is better in which language)
    Hands off she's my waifu!

The actual voice acting is godlike IMO. In terms of budget I don't think that they're going to do japanese voiceacting.
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭

The reason he didn't end up playing was because it clashed with his other games, because the dude signed up for everything.

I really....think most people on SRK don't understand the Japanese fighting game market. Between the lore, the art and the system, Japanese players would eat up Skullgirls. It's primary problem is going to be it's a digital release, and lack of exposure.

Qft... Japan will be all over this game because they know a good game when they see one and this is a very "streetfighter" style versus game... Its slow enough to play streetfighter, yet fast enough to not be boring..l i really think this was the game to take the fgc by storm but it seems that americans are afraid of boobs and hand drawn sprites...

Japan wont be imho and the game being not based on american lore, unlike marvel games, has a real chance to make a big splash out there. Japan may literally catapult the game into mainstream status.

At least thats what i feel when im being optimistic.
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
    I think you may be hoping for a little too much, especially without an arcade release.

It's more likely that this game will find a small, dedicated following in Japan who will fall in love with the game.

Without any kind of cross-over media behind it, like a manga or something, I really don't see this becoming mainstream at all.

Also fighters are not popular with kids at the moment, and I mean, like not popular at all.
    Also fighters are not popular with kids at the moment, and I mean, like not popular at all.
    Yep. There's maybe 10 of my 500 students who reacted at all when I said I traveled to France for Street Fighter.
    I was genuinely shocked by that. You'd probably get higher numbers than that at an Irish school.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't aware of that. I eat my words then.
    STOMP!

I have to admit, I did see this trend (although I didn't actually realize it until you mentioned it now). I don't think I've ever seen anybody younger than what seems to be a late high-schooler on any fighting games in the arcades I visited (it was Tekken I saw them on, by the way).

Maybe it's just because I never visited the arcades at the same time the younger kids do? Actually now that I think of it, I don't think I saw anybody under high school age at all? Hmm.
    Can announce the Japanese release date now... 2/14!

And no Japanese voices, just translated text.