Endless vs. Ranked matches

D18KyoyaD18Kyoya Joined: Posts: 17
which of the two would be better for learning and getting better at ssf4 ae 2012?

the reason I'm asking this is because when I was playing last night I was playing under certain rules:
[SIZE=12px]The best way to teach yourself footsies is to commit to the following rules:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12px]1) Don’t jump for an entire match.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12px]2) Don’t dash for an entire match.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12px]3) Limit yourself to one Psychic DP attempt per match.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px]but when I ended up playing other people what would happen is just gimmicky bullshit. Yes, I am a new player I've only got like 100bp / 199 pp, but the people I would play wouldn't play serious at all, all I saw out of people were taunts nothing more, yes I lost my fights, part of them due to execution problems I got a crumple I should have dash canceled into ultra.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px]/pretty much all I'm asking is which one would be better to play for someone trying to learn and get better without dealing with so much bullshit, because taunting during a match is super disrespectful.[/SIZE]

Comments

• ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭
    Ranked people actually try harder to keep their points.

Endless is were people go to learn new characters or are afraid of losing points in ranked because they don't think they could get that much again. I know someone that does endless all the time that is just over 4000 and has not touched ranked in several months because he's afraid of falling below that.

Another friend of mine goes between 2200-4400 (right now he's 3800) all the time so don't be discouraged about losing points and play ranked.

Try not to take the points too serious it's not really measuring skill it just says they got them somehow either by picking their battles, boosting, beating a bunch of people in the 1500 range etc...

The reality is people say points don't mean anything but if you play ranked those players really do not want to lose them.
  • D18KyoyaD18Kyoya Joined: Posts: 17
    I don't really care much about the points, it just that I just want to have some good matches and half the people if not 90% just end up playing bull shitty, I'm still trying to learn what to do verse other characters, but when I see people taunting it's kinda like wtf, seriously play the match yeah I'm losing but your not willing to play?

the whole point thing whether you care about them are not they are still there and people will judge others by said points.
  • ShabroutShabrout Joined: Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭
    The point is, footsies aren't for beginners. When you can score easy damage with BS random things, just do it. That's obviously the way to go if you meant to win your rounds. So expect people to do it that way till you show them BS don't work, then footsies will be the primary tool to find an opening.

Next there is : expect to lose a lot as a beginner. A hell of a lot. And winning the match should not be at all in your plans if you mean to learn your fundamentals as you seem to. All you need to focus on is not "giving" the opponent free damage. Don't screw up. That's your goal. You will lose to your poor reactions and random shit from this guy, but at least you don't give him the win by doing stupid shit yourself.

And finaly, prepare to get mad often and salty enough to want to make a thread of it on SRK... Because even knowing all this, you just like everyone. You want those points.
  • DrGulagDrGulag Joined: Posts: 193
    I don't know if this is just my bad luck but I've noticed that people have a very short fuse when it comes to endless matches.

Lose a few games and you get kicked out. Get a lucky win by doing a "fraudulent" ultra and you will get the kick. Change your character and you will get the boot etc. Here's one example, I was playing with this somewhat highly ranked Ibuki player (Futura/Future...something) and he would kick me the hell out for chaning my character and winning few matches in a row.

I personally remove people from my lobby only if the connection is poor or they are very new to the game. Even then I will usually give them a few matches and send them suggestions on how to improve this and that.

Ranked matches : I started to play these properly for the first time yesterday (I've been around since vanilla lol) and I'm loving it so far. People have all kinds of weird tactics and they are ready for a rematch as well. You have to adapt quickly and those highly ranked players usually go straight into their main character.

Endless isn't all negative though. I've made a lot of online buddies from those matches and it's more casual. I don't know how well you will learn all the different match ups. Depends on the player of course, you might learn more from one ranked match than ten endless matches and vice versa.
    oh, I know losing very well, I play a fair amount of people around the area that I live in, most of the the players here are fairly strong. I want to win but my main goal is to play better, build up better habits rather than gain bad habits from dealing with online bs.

footsies really is the main weapon for the character I play though. "fei long player here"

yeah, ranting isn't that good but it's just so frustrating when you are trying to learn but you don't want to deal with just dp spamming and just over all lame stuff that doesn't help someone trying to get better.
  • blufangblufang Darkstalker for life Joined: Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a psychological aspect to points, no matter their relevance to skill, no one likes to see points fall down. Just seeing the numbers drop, for some reason is discouraging. Seeing them rise is fulfilling.

To answer your question, it is easier to learn in endless. The reason being, you will probably be more flexible and willing to try out stuff you would be afraid to attempt in ranked matches. In ranked...with the points, winning becomes the top priority not learning. You'll also find that most people in endless are at least trying to learn and play their characters rather than random mashing, etc.
    Boycott Ultra SFIV! Supporting garbage, means you'll only get more garbage in the future.

20th Anniversary of ST EVO 2014 Tournament of Legends 2 Finals
    EVO 2014 ST X-Mania Finals

20th Anniversary of Darkstalkers Nuki (Bishamon) vs Oboro (Victor)
    Devil's Playground 3 (05/03/2014)

20th Anniversary of Marvel, King of Fighters, Tekken, and Killer Instinct

• DrGulagDrGulag Joined: Posts: 193
    winning becomes the top priority not learning..

I don't really understand how these two are separated from one another.

In my experience most people in endless just switch between different characters and play casually. Sometimes I play with a "highly ranked" player and he loses a bunch of matches with his 4500pp points, switches to his/her main character, plays one game properly and then its back to switching, trolling and what not. Again, maybe it's just my luck but I've had a lot of fun in my first ranked matches. I don't care about the points but I'm seeing a lot of different people in quick succession with all sorts of different styles.
  • blufangblufang Darkstalker for life Joined: Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really understand how these two are separated from one another.

It is true there is more switching, cause it is more casual. However I assume you are already in the 4000PP or so range, so in ranked you are playing all serious players. I had a lot of fun in my first ranked matches too, and the different styles and all. However if the TC is getting frustrated and mainly trying to learn, I think he/she would have more fun and learn more in endless.
    Boycott Ultra SFIV! Supporting garbage, means you'll only get more garbage in the future.

20th Anniversary of ST EVO 2014 Tournament of Legends 2 Finals
    EVO 2014 ST X-Mania Finals

20th Anniversary of Darkstalkers Nuki (Bishamon) vs Oboro (Victor)
    Devil's Playground 3 (05/03/2014)

20th Anniversary of Marvel, King of Fighters, Tekken, and Killer Instinct

• SosageSosage Mopping Up Your Salt Joined: Posts: 1,705 mod
    First off, let's get the default "online is bullshit and points are worthless" statement out of the way.

Ranked has one glaring positive that Endless doesn't: it tests your ability to adapt quickly. In Ranked you, on paper at least, get one shot at a player and then he/she is gone. You have that one game to outplay them and their potentially wonky bullshit. You still wind up with some regular players if you play long enough, but you will always get some stranger playing in a way that may not fit perfectly into your style of play...and you have 2 out of 3 rounds to figure that play style out. That's even more brutal than a tournament setting, where you at least have best 2 out of 3 games to figure the person out. Bitches in this mode will quit before the match ends while they were navigating to send you a PM on why you lucked out.

Endless was where I saw a lot more solid play from the online community. If you play against people around your skill level more than a handful of times (not points level, but legit skill level), they should eventually adapt to you, which forces you to adapt to them, which forces them to adapt to you, etc, etc, etc. Being able to adapt and adjust strategy, IMO, is the end game of learning systems/match ups/footsies/random wankery. It also takes experience, which hey!, that's what Endless provides. Bitches in this mode will stick around and work a room of players all day long, but will leave the second someone wanders in and squashes their ego. The absolute worst of the two IMO (see P.S.). Also likes sending PM's on why you are an inferior player, forgets that no one asked.

Shorter version? Endless = panel beating your ability to adapt your strategies. Ranked = Let's see if you can genuinely adapt with those strategies quickly. They are both lag prone so fuck playing online, so it is preferable to find a crew to play with offline in your area.

P.S. Losing consistently while trying to learn "why" is okay. Being honest about your skill level, that you don't have to win every game, beat every person and that you don't know everything about a game will keep you mentally sane (just as long as you don't take it to the point of having a defeatist attitude). Losing consistently and making excuses, however, isn't okay. Everyone gets salty and starts blaming their stick/lag/the character/etc. In the end you have to take a deep breath, be truly honest about why you may have really lost instead of sparing your ego and move onto the next game. No one has a perfect win record. Perfect loss record on the other hand...

2 cents. Spend them on something nice.
    www.DrunkenTemple.com ...cause I am a broke ass artist...
    Keystone II ...cause I like the video games...
    SFIV/SSFIV/MvC3 mod ...cause I enjoy destroying your fun...
    Rindoukan Yellow Belt ...cause I paid 49.95 for lessons at the local strip mall and now I can karakusa online...
  • CobraKaiCobraKai Joined: Posts: 448
    I don't know if this is just my bad luck but I've noticed that people have a very short fuse when it comes to endless matches.

Lose a few games and you get kicked out. Get a lucky win by doing a "fraudulent" ultra and you will get the kick. Change your character and you will get the boot etc. Here's one example, I was playing with this somewhat highly ranked Ibuki player (Futura/Future...something) and he would kick me the hell out for chaning my character and winning few matches in a row.

I personally remove people from my lobby only if the connection is poor or they are very new to the game. Even then I will usually give them a few matches and send them suggestions on how to improve this and that.

Maybe FuturaLab (Ibuki player from Netherlands). That kids got some growing up to do. He told me not to runaway with Dhalsim.

But I tend to play anyone as long as they give GGs and have a good connection. I only ever kick for bad connection.

On topic: I voted Endless its all I play and allows me to worry less about points and try new characters and strategy. Yeah people may not play as hard as they would in Ranked but you can have more fun.

Too me the game is about having fun, if it stops being fun for me then its time to stop playing.
  • The BreakerThe Breaker reading, lol Joined: Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭
    You will learn more in endless, but ranked can be useful in exposing yourself to gimmicks.

Having 4,000+ PP does not get you better players in ranked unless you always look for more skilled. You can do that, and you can also expect to find much less people to play you. Making games opens yourself to everyone in your region who wants to play a ranked game and same skill usually doesn't work like it should.
    Finding people of all skills is good anyway. You can brag about beating x but if you can't beat everyone else consistently, who cares?
    "This game is garbage." Why do you play it?
    "Because the other garbage is cold." So you just like garbage.
  • chubbyfingerzchubbyfingerz Kore ga Saikyo-ryu da! Joined: Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭
    I've been playing for a year and a half and only this last week did I start playing endless and I wonder what took me so long. I learn a LOT more from endless matches, they happen in rapid succession and against the same person, which allows you to experiment with different ways of dealing with the same tools.

But bro, I don't wanna poop in your cereal or nothing, but as a Dan player, if I don't taunt it's as if I hadn't played at all.

Taunting is part of the game. Take it with a smile. Laugh at yourself. I sure as hell do, I main Dan!
    PSN: SaikyoForever

Test yourself against Saikyo!

• BERSERKERRRBERSERKERRR mathemagician Joined: Posts: 79
    As mentioned, ranked forces quick adaptation. Thing is, I don't think it's a good 'learning method,' I think it's a good method to test your adaptability once you've acquired the necessary tools.

The necessary tools being matchup knowledge such as reacting to improperly spaced dash punches, appropriate OS choice, etc. These are things you drill in endless, because even if you may know one or two of these, you need to have it ingrained. If you haven't drilled it in, when you see X whiff/unsafe move in your 35th ranked match in round 2 that one time, you'll stare at it, then he'll recover, and you'll think "fuck, I could've punished that."

And it's for that reason I think endless is better in your case. Once you have the various setups down and you know how to deal with your opponent's potential responses, you can start testing your ability to apply this knowledge you've acquired in adapting to your opponent. I.e. someone plays reckless, you switch to safer setups and let them self-destruct if they allow it. If not, you mix it up again. But to do this, and be able to adapt like this, you first need the tools available to you.
    retsu go justin
  • Bob199Bob199 Joined: Posts: 59
    Ranked for just playing, working on adapting, occasionally play someone high level.

Endless for working on some tech, finding/playing high skill players as they tend to make endless lobbies than play ranked.
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Oh Noes! My Character! Joined: Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    really good responses guys.

really helpful for a guy like me trying to find his skills again
    DWU fucked my bitch
  • Ryuken9Ryuken9 Joined: Posts: 504
    I've been playing for a year and a half and only this last week did I start playing endless and I wonder what took me so long. I learn a LOT more from endless matches, they happen in rapid succession and against the same person, which allows you to experiment with different ways of dealing with the same tools.

But bro, I don't wanna poop in your cereal or nothing, but as a Dan player, if I don't taunt it's as if I hadn't played at all.

Taunting is part of the game. Take it with a smile. Laugh at yourself. I sure as hell do, I main Dan!

Nobody gives a damn about taunting I punish that shit from fullscreen with Seth standing fierce.
    SSF4 AE : Seth/Ken/Sagat/Evil Ryu

PSN is full of pussies
  • loopizloopiz Joined: Posts: 271
    Ranked was good when everybody was learning the game.
    now it's pretty much : A meets B, A is stronger, A wins and learns nothing, B loses and learns nothing.

when SF5 hits, i'll sure as hell run Ranked again.
    www.streetfighter-fr.com
  • divinemarkpizzadivinemarkpizza Joined: Posts: 297
    a combination
    most people in ranked braindead autopilot, mash dp or try to use all of their gimmicks in 2 rounds
    you gotta know how to play against that
    now it's pretty much : A meets B, A is stronger, A wins and learns nothing, B loses and learns nothing.

why would the person that loses learn nothing?
    he can think and see why he lost
  • littlescumbaglittlescumbag Joined: Posts: 292

that doesnt mean anything
    i am B+ and today i beat some A and A+ dudes
    but then i lost a game to retarded C+ ... so everyone has a chance to win + you must take matchups into consideration (a B+ dalshim will in most cases beat an A Grade Ryu)
    GFWL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

XBL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

PSN : LittleScumbag : stoped playing here

Steam : LittleScumbag : failing to improve at KOF here
  • w00denTEETHw00denTEETH Dr. Zaius Joined: Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    The netcode isn't good enough to play ranked. I have no idea why any of you would even try it. Find a good connection in Endless and play for an hour.
    The netcode isn't good enough to play ranked. I have no idea why any of you would even try it. Find a good connection in Endless and play for an hour.
    me having a fantastic time online
    dont know what you talking about
    GFWL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

XBL: LitlleScumbag :Main: Ryu... Subs: Oni ... Plays on the side : Cammy,Sagat,Evil Ryu,Fei Long,Bison,Guile,Akuma,Ken

you might have bad internet
    sweet, thank you for the feed back.

from what I got out of this chat, I think when I'm playing online I'll be working in the endless games to improve my overall game, but I will still play ranked matches for fun and learning about gimmicky bullshit???? and learning how to adapt to different play styles in rapid successions.
  • w00denTEETHw00denTEETH Dr. Zaius Joined: Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    you might have bad internet

...people with bad internet like SF4's netcode and hate SFxT. I am only playing SFxT online at this point.

Where are the online tournaments for SF4 since the netcode is apparently playable? The only one I remember was on PSN during Super. The finals were a Honda mirror and Mike Ross switched to Blanka, lol.
  • metallicabandmetallicaband DP & A TELEPORT ?!! Joined: Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't give a fuck less about points, IMO it's best to search for matches in both ranked and endless, if you found a worthy opponent that you have a good connection against, then simply send him a "gg" message after a few games and ask him if it's OK to add him as a friend so you can have some endless matches with him sometime.

After a while of doing that, you'll have a bunch of people in your list that are good and use different characters that you can have lengthy sessions against instead of trying your luck with random people all the time, IMO that's the best way to level up your game online.
    "Blanka is scrub." - Tokido
  • ShabroutShabrout Joined: Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭
    i am B+ and today i beat some A and A+ dudes
    but then i lost a game to retarded C+ ... so everyone has a chance to win + you must take matchups into consideration (a B+ dalshim will in most cases beat an A Grade Ryu)
    You completely missed his point dude.
    Read again, but more like " X meets Y, ...".
    Where are the online tournaments for SF4 since the netcode is apparently playable? The only one I remember was on PSN during Super. The finals were a Honda mirror and Mike Ross switched to Blanka, lol.
    Europe has a lot of online tournaments, sometimes with prizes. Some of the best french offline players compete in those. For more info:
    www.fightplay.fr
    sorry for not being clear enough, my "A and B meet" was not describing people in sf4 groups A and B. I should have used "X and Y meet",as the reasoning is independant from the actual ranks.
    www.streetfighter-fr.com
    why would the person that loses learn nothing?
    he can think and see why he lost
    the series is 4 years old. in 2009, almost 100% of losers learned something after a ranked game. i find that the percentage has fallen a lot. i might be wrong though !
    www.streetfighter-fr.com
  • dance robotdance robot Joined: Posts: 58
    I've been preferring Ranked lately only because it's easier to ensure that I'm playing people close to my level. I think it's very helpful to play people at your skill level or a little better, but as someone with < 1k PP, playing someone with 3k isn't very instructive. In Endless, it is rare that people heed the message on the lobby (e.g. 'Less than 1000 PP'), so I try to go Ranked when possible.
    I'm bad at SSF4. I'm looking for someone who is similarly bad to train with offline in Austin, TX. PM me!
  • Constantinos182Constantinos182 Joined: Posts: 45
    Here's my usual SF schedule!

I create an open endless lobby with only 2 slots! I play 10 games with my main (sakura) vs a random player (scrubs, mashers or high level players etc everyone is welcome..
    I never kick anyone out from my lobby) I try my best to warm up and then...when i finish with my Endless Warm up Games I jump on arcade mode with Ranked Request ON.
    I play 10 Ranked games and try to give my BEST to win all of them.... Losing ranked points for me its like losing a tournament.
    Imagine the stress I get on the last 2-3 games...! One defeat is like -120 PP... All the points you have earned from your winning streak are GONE!!! It happened before ... I lost in my last games to a Random laggy-campy Honda, Turbo Blanka or even worst.. to some lag-switchers (Seimitsu Ninja)... sure I get mad but it's not the end of the world... I feel like I'm training harder this way.. I gotta keep my mind sharp in stressful situations.. Endless can't give me that feeling.. except if it's a first to 10 etc :D

Since I started that "schedule" I reached 4200k. When I was full time Ranked player I was floating between 3k and 3.7k.. Too much stress is not good for your health... so after the 10 ranked games you can go for some Endless fun or quit the game and do something else :P
    GFWL: Constantinos182 (Sakura)
    XBOX: Dinos182 (Sakura)
    YT: http://www.youtube.com/Constantinos182
    Here's my usual SF schedule!

I create an open endless lobby with only 2 slots! I play 10 games with my main (sakura) vs a random player (scrubs, mashers or high level players etc everyone is welcome..
    I never kick anyone out from my lobby) I try my best to warm up and then...when i finish with my Endless Warm up Games I jump on arcade mode with Ranked Request ON.
    I play 10 Ranked games and try to give my BEST to win all of them.... Losing ranked points for me its like losing a tournament.
    Imagine the stress I get on the last 2-3 games...! One defeat is like -120 PP... All the points you have earned from your winning streak are GONE!!! It happened before ... I lost in my last games to a Random laggy-campy Honda, Turbo Blanka or even worst.. to some lag-switchers (Seimitsu Ninja)... sure I get mad but it's not the end of the world... I feel like I'm training harder this way.. I gotta keep my mind sharp in stressful situations.. Endless can't give me that feeling.. except if it's a first to 10 etc :D

Since I started that "schedule" I reached 4200k. When I was full time Ranked player I was floating between 3k and 3.7k.. Too much stress is not good for your health... so after the 10 ranked games you can go for some Endless fun or quit the game and do something else :P
    its so damn hard to keep a high PP in the ranked...i do the same thing as you do...10 games in ranked and i am gonne
    even though i have a 88.51 win percentage in ranked i managed to drop from 4100 to 3750PP
    i need 9 wins in a row to get a maybe 100PP and then comes the 10th mach and the guy takes 120pp
    i made allready peace with my mind that i wont get to 4000 pp anytime soon ,its so damn hard with ryu since everyone is so good against him
    as soon as i get that guy to A grade i'll start leveling a new character (maybe sagat,akuma,e.ryu) so my points will probably drop to 2500 but who cares , i allready learned the game so its all about fun now

its so damn hard to keep a high PP in the ranked...i do the same thing as you do...10 games in ranked and i am gonne
    even though i have a 88.51 win percentage in ranked i managed to drop from 4100 to 3750PP
    i need 9 wins in a row to get a maybe 100PP and then comes the 10th mach and the guy takes 120pp
    i made allready peace with my mind that i wont get to 4000 pp anytime soon ,its so damn hard with ryu since everyone is so good against him
    as soon as i get that guy to A grade i'll start leveling a new character (maybe sagat,akuma,e.ryu) so my points will probably drop to 2500 but who cares , i allready learned the game so its all about fun now
    hey i noticed you play on both PC and XBL
    just wondering how much pp do you have on both?
    hey i noticed you play on both PC and XBL
    just wondering how much pp do you have on both?
    i have a 1500pp/1500bp ryu on xbl ;)
    i played there for only a day and my xbox broke ...now i am waiting to get a new console and hop back into xbl ranked

That's why we need Championship Mode back..
    It was like a hybrid between Ranked and Endless. Competitive and Fun at the same time...

Also.. Props to you for reaching 4k on GFWL...Not an easy task. 4k PP is like you are a 5k player on Xbox live.
    I posted that before in another thread..

1k - 2k : Scrubs or should i say newcomers?

2.7k PP - 3k PP : Above the scrub level (a lot of flowcharting is still there though)

3.7k PP - 4k PP : This is where things get serious (Traps, Option Selects, Frame data analysis,
    Buffering Super / Ultras and vicious unblockable setups etc)

5k PP : The Daigo Level on PC! On xbox live is 6k PP

On GFWL the level is lower so when you reach 4k you can't find any 3k - 4k players to beat and get a good amount of points.
    I'm floating between 3900-4200 for like 2 months, for example I play 10 games just to earn 20PP cause you know beating up
    1k-2k-3k players you earn just a few PP ... and then I lose to a laggy Honda / Turbo Blanka and i go minus -120pp...
    Do the math and tell me if it's possible to reach 5k.....

Also I don't fully agree with that
    as soon as i get that guy to A grade i'll start leveling a new character

I see lots of scrubs reaching that A grade.. (Grind at its best)
    For me Grade System means nothing..

My goal is to reach 5k PP like ragerunner05 / Alioune / II Draco II / Perfect Izuna / SunValtiel SF / Dlieu / Skarwel etc
    Also I don't fully agree with that

I see lots of scrubs reaching that A grade.. (Grind at its best)
    For me Grade System means nothing..
    no no Ryu will allways be my main, grades wont change that ,i am just gonna experiment and get some expirience with other characters..
    in my opinion ,the more characters you play on a "higher" lvl the better you become with your main

and to be honest i care more about BP than PP for the exact same reasons you said:
    the lack of high PP/BP ppl to earn points from

• UserX03UserX03 Joined: Posts: 89
    1k - 2k : Scrubs or should i say newcomers?

2.7k PP - 3k PP : Above the scrub level (a lot of flowcharting is still there though)

3.7k PP - 4k PP : This is where things get serious (Traps, Option Selects, Frame data analysis,
    Buffering Super / Ultras and vicious unblockable setups etc)

5k PP : The Daigo Level on PC! On xbox live is 6k PP

2700-3000? That's pretty narrow, do you mean 2k - 3k and not 2.7k - 3k, etc? Your ranges look like swiss cheese...dunno why so many are omitted.
  • PsychocultPsychocult Joined: Posts: 50
    2700-3000? That's pretty narrow, do you mean 2k - 3k and not 2.7k - 3k, etc? Your ranges look like swiss cheese...dunno why so many are omitted.

Word, it's more like this:

0-1000 PP: scrubs, noobs and people on their second or third account.
    1001-2000 PP: Flow charts, drunk people, trolls and people making progress.
    2001-3000 PP: good players, some scrubs, main character devotees that don't care about counter picking, some advanced flowcharts, a few lag switchers, a couple drunk Canadians, a few rage filled Spaniards, some Brazilian trolls, etc.
    3001-4000 PP: some excellent "high level" players, lag switchers, Blanka trolls, macros abusers, boosters, etc.
    4001-5000 PP: a very small amount of outstanding players, a shit ton of fraudulent cheating idiots.
    5001-6000 PP: Daigo, Infiltration, Poongko, Gamerbee, Hugo101, Justin Wong, etc. and: a ton of super fraudster, hacker, macros, lag switching, cheating, garbage, agoraphobia riddled losers that have nothing better to do ...
    5001-6000 PP: Daigo, Infiltration, Poongko, Gamerbee, Hugo101, Justin Wong

dude what

Let me simplify this.. and try to communicate with my broken English ;D

0 to 2200k - Newcomers or forever bad on Street Fighter.
    2500k to 3100k - Scrubs, mashers and flowcharters.
    3500k to 4200k - Good SF players who study this game properly not just DP FADC Ultra! (Traps, OS, Frame Data, Footsies, Setups etc)
    4300k and Higher - Real pros. (fuck cheaters)

Why you left some "empty space" between 3100k and 3500k? I'm sitting on 3300k PP .. What am I ? Scrub or Good SF player?
    If you still get wins with wake up ultras or button mashing then you got lucky and reached 3300k. It's a matter of time to fall back to
    your typical range between 2500k - 3100k.

This is my "theory" for GFWL and not for Xbox Live.
    Let me simplify this.. and try to communicate with my broken English ;D

0 to 2200k - Newcomers or forever bad on Street Fighter.
    2500k to 3100k - Scrubs, mashers and flowcharters.
    3500k to 4200k - Good SF players who study this game properly not just DP FADC Ultra! (Traps, OS, Frame Data, Footsies, Setups etc)
    4300k and Higher - Real pros. (fuck cheaters)

Why you left some "empty space" between 3100k and 3500k? I'm sitting on 3300k PP .. What am I ? Scrub or Good SF player?
    If you still get wins with wake up ultras or button mashing then you got lucky and reached 3300k. It's a matter of time to fall back to
    your typical range between 2500k - 3100k.

This is my "theory" for GFWL and not for Xbox Live.
    i consider good players/treining material every1 over 3000
    ranked is weird man ... today i lost against a genuine 700PP player on ranked ...i wasnt even mad , i just put the stick asaid and started lughing

i consider good players/treining material every1 over 3000
    ranked is weird man ... today i lost against a genuine 700PP player on ranked ...i wasnt even mad , i just put the stick asaid and started lughing

hmm... these 3 videos may change your mind...

3k PP Honda with 16k BP spamming buttslaps!
    With slightly lag this is a true nightmare for my Sakura.
    A single NORMAL move was not used that day by that Honda!!!!

3.4k PP Ken Player who is using only 10% from Kens Tools.
    Where's your Kara throw pressure? No tricky ex tatsu crossups, no blockstrings with delay DPs in between, no use of his overheads etc Just camp and mash! Read the description in my video and there is a link to a true KEN player where I got outplayed hard.

3k PP / 13k BP Masher-Ryu and focus abuser.

My point is .. many scrubs/mashers/abusers can reach easy 3k PP.. They can float between 2500k to 3100k..The can't go much higher than that cause they lose
    often to someone who knows how to handle their lame gameplay. Higher than 3500k it means you have the knowledge to beat good players too! To be honest i love facing this type of idiots as long they don't lag are free points for me :D
  • FinalBlastFinalBlast Joined: Posts: 12
    The truth about playing online is people play very random because they don't know how to play the game properly. If your looking for a place to learn match ups and want to learn to play the game properly, enter tournaments or attend casual meet ups in your local scene is the best thing to do.
  • K.O.wnedK.O.wned Joined: Posts: 50
    What's with the offline pride and point-whoring?
  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    They also play random because nothing is on the line. I do a lot of stupid stuff online that I wouldn't do at a tournament. Mashing SRK is the one that sticks out the most. Myself personally I've bounced around from something like 1800 to 3000pp a number of times. Normally I'm in the mid 2k range. Whenever I do reach 3k, I feel like a fraud. I almost want to lose points just so people don't think I'm better than my points would indicate. Yeah yeah, points aren't everything, I know. But a lot of people use it to size up their opponents(including me) so as ridiculous as it sounds, I feel like mid 2k's is where I belong and that skill level is what I want people to expect from me.

I do occasionally come across some of these guys with higher PP than me and they seem to have no idea how to use their character properly. It really baffles me how they can get that high by spamming something or doing a lot of unsafe or risky things. For example my friend and I were playing a while back and he was streaming. We get this 3200pp Ken in the room. I'm like "this guy will probably body us". I use Yun at first and lost, but I thought to myself "this guy doesn't seem that good". I use my main next time I won pretty handily. I use Seth in the 3rd match and won. Then my friend tells me to kick him because he's lagging too much with them(he and I were OK though). So I do that and he sends me 2 hate mail messages.

Like I said, I don't know if he's just screwing around in endless or if he really got to 3,000 with that play style that baffled me. Go to the 1 hour 18 minute mark for my 2nd match with him and my reactions to his play style, and if you like listen to my complaint about how he has so many more points than me.

So yeah, I think most of the time a guys PP will give you a idea of how good he is. But not everybody is as good as advertised.
    Post edited by Rice_Eater on
  • Ryuken9Ryuken9 Joined: Posts: 504
    Perhaps he wasn't playing serious in endless, if his points were on the line maybe he'd play better. I know I tend to not give a fuck in endless.
    SSF4 AE : Seth/Ken/Sagat/Evil Ryu

PSN is full of pussies
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 752
    The whole ranking system is kinda flawed imo.
    You just lose way too many PP when losing 1 random match vs random stuff vs a random player lol.
    I was once at 4600 PP long time ago ye and then I lost all points on 1 day because of random stuff by players who were
    low ranked ( using their second accounts instead of their 4k+ PP main accounts ). I didn't kick them although it was
    annoying because winning almost didn't give me any PP and losing 100PP less and they kept joining my lobby.
    I think I have even made a video about this **. Ye and since them I stopped playing ranked, although recently I went ranked once again
    and I've played this 4k PP Sagat lol his name was tottebreaker or so. Really bad Sagat player with horrible connection + lag.
    Went 120 PP up after 4 matches or so vs 3-4k PP players. 1 lag match, 2 ppl who were trying to counter pick me since they knew I would play Guile or Blanka, so ye just picked Dhalsim and Seth lol and 1 turbo user. I went back to endless then. Ranked is not fun.
    I can get my PP back to 4600 in no time if I would want to, but still it's hella annoying to play ranked because of so many reasons.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭
    LiangHuBBB wrote: »
    The whole ranking system is kinda flawed imo.
    You just lose way too many PP when losing 1 random match vs random stuff vs a random player lol.
    I was once at 4600 PP long time ago ye and then I lost all points on 1 day because of random stuff by players who were
    low ranked ( using their second accounts instead of their 4k+ PP main accounts ). I didn't kick them although it was
    annoying because winning almost didn't give me any PP and losing 100PP less and they kept joining my lobby.
    I think I have even made a video about this **. Ye and since them I stopped playing ranked, although recently I went ranked once again
    and I've played this 4k PP Sagat lol his name was tottebreaker or so. Really bad Sagat player with horrible connection + lag.
    Went 120 PP up after 4 matches or so vs 3-4k PP players. 1 lag match, 2 ppl who were trying to counter pick me since they knew I would play Guile or Blanka, so ye just picked Dhalsim and Seth lol and 1 turbo user. I went back to endless then. Ranked is not fun.
    I can get my PP back to 4600 in no time if I would want to, but still it's hella annoying to play ranked because of so many reasons.

A ranked system like that in Blazblue would be better.
    there you gain points and rise a level only by winning. the higher the opponent the more points you get. Winning against high ranked players will gain you points but at the same time will not reduce their points while they lose.

But ranking overall spoils the fun in two player matches. Not just in SF but in any game.

Eg I entered a backgammon online room and high ranked players refused to play against me or other lower ranked players, since they'd risk losing points (very likely in that game!). So they'd play against players of their rank only. And I ended up playing against lower ranked players or visitors, some of which might actually play even better than high ranked players.
    not good at any, mediocre at many