New character on the horizon: Squigly!

Comments

• PterodactylPterodactyl Hail Hydra Joined: Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Oh god.

Science Shark or Tank Fist, one or the other?

LAB ZERO HOW CAN YOU BE SO CRUEL?!?!

I'm guessing Science Shark would be a zoner and Panzer would be a Grappler, or a slow brawler type.

As someone who mained/mains Q in 3rd strike(Can any one really main him? It's like bringing a sledge hammer to a katana fight, sure you can fuck people up if you're good enough but you're ultimately going to always be at a disadvantage) I think Big Band is pretty cool, but not cooler that those other two.
    Post edited by Pterodactyl on
    "If you's a big thick bitch, or even short, I play hoes like it's a sport".
  • KawalornKawalorn Joined: Posts: 70
    edited February 2013
    Dunno the Science Shark doesn't really get me excited for some reason. Maybe because I don't really have an idea of what would he fight like? I mean look at Panzerfaust. You must have some pretty bad imagination to not foresee his overall style (Juggernaut anyone?). :P But the Shark? He could be anything from gadget type character like Peacock or just run around biting people.
    Post edited by Kawalorn on
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Detective Sax plz
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    edited February 2013
    Oh god.

Science Shark or Tank Fist, one or the other?

LAB ZERO HOW CAN YOU BE SO CRUEL?!?!

I'm guessing Science Shark would be a zoner and Panzer would be a Grappler, or a slow brawler type.

As someone who mained/mains Q in 3rd strike(Can any one really main him? It's like bringing a sledge hammer to a katana fight, sure you can fuck people up if you're good enough but you're ultimately going to always be at a disadvantage) I think Big Band is pretty cool, but not cooler that those other two.
    I always imagined Stanley as a trap character, a fusion of rocket raccoon and Doronjo. He would have three types of traps: stationary(), tracking (after marking the opponent), combo, and spacial (setting up teleporters). All traps would do significant stun but nearly no damage; however only the combo traps come out fast enough to use mid combo. He'd use his science traps to compliment his great strength (shark strength) and relatively slow speed. He'd have one command grab.

Shark move exampless:
    ground throw: rubs opponent against sandpaper-like skin.
    Doooodge!: single hit, streetshark-style dash across the screen (corner to corner so the opponent needs to be stunned by a trap for it to be effective)
    Jaws!: command grab. Grabs opponent with teeth and mauls them, slamming them into the ground
    Frenzy!: Pretty much Red-Makoto with a big speed boost. It disables his ability to set traps (traps already set stay set)
    Lunge : a lunging hit grab (corner carry)

Science moves examples:
    Shark Trap: Something similar to peacocks j.mk except it causes ridiculous stun.
    chum bucket (combo): throws chum at opponent
    chum chaser: tracking trap that chases opponent covered in chum. (shut down if a chum-covered oppone tis not found within a certain amount of time)
    Silver Scales: Defense and damage increase. Temporarily unable to move but is immune to damage for quite a few frames. Enough time to set one or two traps but has a pretty large cool down time
    Teleporter: needs to set two for the move to work. Stepping on one will send him to the other. attack strength sets location. Punch version only teleports Stanly. Kick version teleports opponent. They blow up after use.

EDIT: and just for the heck of it, he needs a Robo-Fortune special/super
    Post edited by Dravidian on
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
  • BillyBonesBillyBones Joined: Posts: 53
    Kawalorn said:
    Dunno the Science Shark doesn't really get me excited for some reason. Maybe because I don't really have an idea of what would he fight like?
    Someone needs to dust off their copy of Tournament Fighters.  Armaggon wrecking fools with shark upper all day, son.
  • Dragonage2ftwDragonage2ftw Joined: Posts: 152
    Science Shark sounds like something out of adventure time.
    Black Egrets, assemble!
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    Stanley Whitefin 4 DLC LEEEEEEEEEHGOOOOO!!!

RUSSIAN SCIENCE RISE AGAIN!!!
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
    Someone needs to dust off their copy of Tournament Fighters.  Armaggon wrecking fools with shark upper all day, son.
    Is that so? Never heard of the game, but I'll happily check it out. ;)

(After checking)

Hah, it seems I actually played one of the earlier ones but Armaggon wasn't there yet.
  • JohnNumbersJohnNumbers Joined: Posts: 52
    edited February 2013
    Observation about Leviathan, I seem to recall, from the concept art, his eyes being further back on his head, but in the gameplay art, we can see that they've been pushed forward, nearly to the front of his face.

With that said, I guess I was more of a fan of concept art Leviathan in that case, but the current version looks fine too, for sure. I'm definitely hyped for Squigly or any new characters in the future regardless. I can't help but wonder if anything prompted the change, or if it was just some random occurrence...
    Post edited by JohnNumbers on
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270

Kawalorn said:
    Dunno the Science Shark doesn't really get me excited for some reason. Maybe because I don't really have an idea of what would he fight like?
    BWAAAGH BWWWWAAAAGH
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
    Observation about Leviathan, I seem to recall, from the concept art, his eyes being further back on his head, but in the gameplay art, we can see that they've been pushed forward, nearly to the front of his face.

With that said, I guess I was more of a fan of concept art Leviathan in that case, but the current version looks fine too, for sure. I'm definitely hyped for Squigly or any new characters in the future regardless. I can't help but wonder if anything prompted the change, or if it was just some random occurrence...

Maybe it was the support of the skullgirls fan base that allowed this to happen.
    Black Egrets, assemble!
    Anyway, accourding to the skullgirls twitter account, squigly's fundraiser is apparently on the 25th.
    Black Egrets, assemble!
  • ShigShig Joined: Posts: 459
    Nobody commenting on the TF2 hat thing?
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX OMG EREN HOLY SHEEEYYYYYT! Joined: Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Explain?
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    Explain?

Explain?

The skullgirls team got Cerebella's hat into TF2
    Black Egrets, assemble!
    edited February 2013
    OK, to make a PROPER explanation.

One of the tiers for the Squigly fund raiser is 30$ for a Steam code for the game, beta access key AND Leviathan as hat for TF2. There was additional announcement that other Skullgirls themed hats will be added. We don't know exact details aside from the Leviathan one.
    Post edited by Kawalorn on
  • Rin TezukaRin Tezuka Forever Low Tier Joined: Posts: 53
    Here's a thread on Steam Forums about the upcoming SG promos
    Apparently SG is a Terribad Anime Indie game no one cares about.
    PSASBR: Sir Daniel, Toro, Parappa, Sackboy
    TTT2: Alisa, Lili
    SG: Peacock, Double
    MK9: Ermac, Kabal
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one takes Steam forums seriously bro. 
    STOMP!
  • DeepEndDeepEnd Joined: Posts: 121
    Let the haters bitch all they want, in the end they'll still gonna buy it for the hats alone

And if they don't play it and only buy it for the hats, then atleast we don't have to tolerate their presence
    And if they buy it for the hats and play it and start to enjoy it, then we have successfully converted new players
    And if they buy it and hate it, then they shouldn't be playing fighting games in the first place.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX OMG EREN HOLY SHEEEYYYYYT! Joined: Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just made me realize that us SG fans havent tried hard enough to spread awareness of the game. You also just reminded me why SRK is the sole exception to my rule of not going to video game forums. Half of that thread was about as bad as the average gamefaqs thread. 
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • ShigShig Joined: Posts: 459
     the TF2 fanbase would make mars livable if it meant that they would get a hat out of it.
  • 5th Of Dismember5th Of Dismember Joined: Posts: 27
    when will the kickstarter happen 
    when will the kickstarter happen 

25th of february, its on indiegogo
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    One more day  till operation Squigly commences.
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
  • CellsaiCellsai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 178
    edited February 2013
    Some new Squigs footage here:
    Her tag in/tag out is amazing. Really interesting mechanic on it too, which you can see at 0:40

Post edited by Cellsai on
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • venusandevevenusandeve Joined: Posts: 172
    Right, folks, Squigs donation drive starts on my birthday, so... DONATE DAMMIT!!!
    Or I'll be disappoint. ^_^
    "If i can't love, then i will surely hate. either way, thrashing you remains an option"
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭
    her tag animation looks sweet.
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • DudeDude Joined: Posts: 199 ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I wonder how they're gonna make that tag mechanic work. I mean, let's say she tags out on the right side corner of the level, then you tag her back in when you're fighting on the left side corner of the level. Obviously they can't have her come back in an entire level distance away. So does she just come in on the right-most corner in relation to the screen? Or maybe she can only tag in from her tag out position if the tag in occurs while her tombstone is actually on-screen. Definitely a unique mechanic.
    Post edited by Dude on
  • X-SAMX-SAM Wait that's terrible, I quit. Joined: Posts: 161
    edited February 2013
    Oh hey, it's me. I knew it was a crapshoot, but I made that thread on Spuf. Mostly to raise awareness, but I knew what I was getting myself into making it. Though, the outlook was a lot more positive than I expected. People are just mad at the minute due to how many new promo items have come out back to back in TF2, Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Brutal Legends, and now Bioshock Infinite.
    Post edited by X-SAM on
  • 5th Of Dismember5th Of Dismember Joined: Posts: 27
    if the kick starter begins on Monday im screwed  i dropped everything i had on   cryamore
  • CellsaiCellsai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 178
    Dude said:
    I wonder how they're gonna make that tag mechanic work. I mean, let's say she tags out on the right side corner of the level, then you tag her back in when you're fighting on the left side corner of the level. Obviously they can't have her come back in an entire level distance away. So does she just come in on the right-most corner in relation to the screen? Or maybe she can only tag in from her tag out position if the tag in occurs while her tombstone is actually on-screen. Definitely a unique mechanic.
    It'll probably function like Ms.Fortune's head and get dragged along with the screen.
    I'm looking forward to raw tag combos with her though - should definitely be interesting! I assume this is the "move that's never been in another fighting game" that MikeZ was talking about on the stream.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
    im wondering whether she has an attack when she comes out of the tombstone, and if she does, can you combo after it? you could make some good left/right mixups with her if so.
    Cellsai said:
    Dude said:
    It'll probably function like Ms.Fortune's head and get dragged along with the screen.
    I'm looking forward to raw tag combos with her though - should definitely be interesting! I assume this is the "move that's never been in another fighting game" that MikeZ was talking about on the stream.

Cellsai said:
    Dude said:

I seem to recall the move that has never been used before was supposed to be squigly eating her unconscious teammates in order to recover health.
    Black Egrets, assemble!
  • PizzarinoPizzarino Pikachu gave his life for science Joined: Posts: 420
    Maybe the tag in causes forced screen movement? Not like that ever caused any glitches in MVC2...
    SRK Skullgirls Wiki: Do it for the children
  • 2Chep2Chep She's Clawwwwsome. Joined: Posts: 189
    That sounds awesome tbh. But I do wonder how it would look....
    "We got Chilldog using dat ACME tech, putting 'im in da Looney Toons blockstrings" Oh god yes.

SG - Filia/Fortune/Parasoul
    so her singing move forces the screen towards her, pulling the opp in closer with the screen movement.

sounds pretty damn sick. i cant wait till shes released!

also i noticed somewhere it was mentioned the character DLC may also include balance tweaks to the current cast. wonder what it could be. maybe hitbox tweaks or something.
  • Darlos9DDarlos9D Joined: Posts: 71
    edited February 2013
    Okay, the more I think about Squigly's "hog the spotlight" move, the more I get excited, because I feel like that is going to be a STUPIDLY good assist for any of the tankier characters.

Furthermore, the next character after Squigly is not only going to be a tanky character, but a tanky CHARGE character. Do you have any idea how amazing it will be to just center the screen on yourself with a Squigly assist while Big Band just sits there and charges up pretty much whatever the hell he wants without hardly moving?

And then on the flip side, charge moves are theoretically pretty good as assists since they essentially come out instantly, so Big Band will probably have some nice defensive assist options for a range character like Squigly.

I know this is all EXTREME THEORY FIGHTING but I can't help it I am getting hyyyyyyype. And I haven't actually been hype about any particular characters in SG up until now, even if I've always really liked the overall IDEA of the game.
    Post edited by Darlos9D on
    if squigly gets a stage, then it obviously needs to be a graveyard, complete with hazy mist and silhouettes flying past the moon mortal kombat style.

plus they could make some really cool creepy music to go with it.

hell, perhaps it could just be the outside of the church stage that we already have, and you can see the church in the background, complete with tolling bell or something.
  • DudeDude Joined: Posts: 199 ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    so her singing move forces the screen towards her, pulling the opp in closer with the screen movement.

sounds pretty damn sick. i cant wait till shes released!

also i noticed somewhere it was mentioned the character DLC may also include balance tweaks to the current cast. wonder what it could be. maybe hitbox tweaks or something.
    Someone on the SkullHeart forums (think it was Guitalex) mentioned that Fortunes ability to use her head after she's been double snapped will be removed for sure (not sure if he heard that from Mike Z or not). And the Fortune players were also assuming the axe-kick loops would be removed.

Edit: And completely off topic, but this avatar size increase has destroyed the resolution on my pic...
    Post edited by Dude on
    Will Panzerfaust get the Trainstage then?
  • Nap1400Nap1400 Finally unlurking Joined: Posts: 20
    Darlos9D said:
    Okay, the more I think about Squigly's "hog the spotlight" move, the more I get excited, because I feel like that is going to be a STUPIDLY good assist for any of the tankier characters.

Furthermore, the next character after Squigly is not only going to be a tanky character, but a tanky CHARGE character. Do you have any idea how amazing it will be to just center the screen on yourself with a Squigly assist while Big Band just sits there and charges up pretty much whatever the hell he wants without hardly moving?

And then on the flip side, charge moves are theoretically pretty good as assists since they essentially come out instantly, so Big Band will probably have some nice defensive assist options for a range character like Squigly.

I know this is all EXTREME THEORY FIGHTING but I can't help it I am getting hyyyyyyype. And I haven't actually been hype about any particular characters in SG up until now, even if I've always really liked the overall IDEA of the game.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but from what the video said I think that stage move thing is going to be a super, not a regular move. Notice in the video where the drawing of the singing comes up--it parallels with Mike saying "supers".

We draw close to 50%. I say we're doing a fine job, gentlemen. I'm promoting it as much as I can on other sites I frequent.
  • JakeWasHereJakeWasHere FGC N3wb Joined: Posts: 296
    TVTropes is among the many sites following this drive. Not to mention that it has completely fucking BLOWN UP on Tumblr.
    It doesn't mean much, but me and another guy are pushing it hard on the Team Fortress 2 forums. I'm hoping that the incentive of "HATSSSSSSSSSS!" will bring some people in.
    edited February 2013
    Nap1400 said:
    Darlos9D said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but from what the video said I think that stage move thing is going to be a super, not a regular move. Notice in the video where the drawing of the singing comes up--it parallels with Mike saying "supers".

this is taken from the fundraiser main page.

"As an opera star, when Squigly sings all eyes focus on her, forcibly shifting the game’s camera towards her. This naturally moves the edge of playfield with it, dragging her opponent towards her. No other game has a move like this, and it should open a number of interesting tactical possibilities, especially when used as an Ensemble Attack."

i forget the names they used for what are commonly known as assists, supers, alpha counters etc, but im pretty sure this refers to your choice of assist. i do know that supers and DHCs are referred to as blockbusters and blockbuster sequels though.
    Post edited by evilweevle on
  • Overlord_HazeOverlord_Haze More machine now than man, twisted and evil. Joined: Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    Let's fully fund Squigly in ONE DAY. We can do it, people!!
    Post edited by Overlord_Haze on
    edited February 2013
    Let's fully fund Squigly in ONE DAY. We can do it, people!!

At this rate, I BELIEVE WE CAN FLY! I BELIEVE WE CAN TOUCH THE SKY!
    Post edited by X-SAM on
  • SaitsuSaitsu Keys Anyone? Joined: Posts: 18,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TVTropes is among the many sites following this drive. Not to mention that it has completely fucking BLOWN UP on Tumblr.

TVTropes may ruin lives but it can also GRANT life.
    GT: TrinityRagnarok: Dead End
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 UMvC3: Thor/Doom/Ammy
    SFxT: Cammy/Paul, Lars/Nina, Rolento/Lili
    Injustice: Nightwing
    hope you guys at lab zero have nothing on your schedule. work on squigly begins tomorrow at this rate!
  • MakrossMakross Average Joe Joined: Posts: 158
    if squigly gets a stage, then it obviously needs to be a graveyard, complete with hazy mist and silhouettes flying past the moon mortal kombat style.

plus they could make some really cool creepy music to go with it.

hell, perhaps it could just be the outside of the church stage that we already have, and you can see the church in the background, complete with tolling bell or something.
    And with Michiru Yamane? That's instantly Castlevania-esque music if it involves a zombie girl