Mayflash mod questions

AgentClankAgentClank Joined: Posts: 8
Hi, newbie here. I'm looking to mod my Mayflash stick (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015PHMFU/) with some Sanwa parts and I had a couple questions about it.

Here's the tutorial series I'm using:

And here's what I'm looking to get:
http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=334
http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=335
http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=329

So from what I understand, apart from the parts I'll need:
screwdriver, thin wire, pliers, electrical tape, rat tail file, soldering iron and solder, and a desoldering braid.
Is there anything else I'll need for this project?

Apart from that, it appears to me what Vareous did was to file the holes wider and use the 30mm buttons. Is this correct, and if so, could I just get the 24mm buttons and use those instead? The Mayflash appears to be a 24mm, but about 33mm if you include what they're placed in: here's an image - http://i.imgur.com/M8fjWQP.png

In addition, are the dust covers useful? The stick as it is already has a dust cover "plate" under the ball that I would continue using, and I'm used to brushing against the stick itself as much as holding the ball so I'm worried that the "shaft" cover may slide around while I do this.

Finally, some TE sticks are on sale for $100: should I just buy one instead? It's just a money thing really: I've got money, but I don't feel like I need to spend it. (one such one would be the SFXT stick http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5327&idCategory=274)

Any help would be appreciated. I've looked around but can't seem to find much.
Other info: SSF4AE and xT on PC, with stick on table. Would use white for 6 main buttons and yellow/orange for 3x, or if can use 30mm would go with cyan/yellow/red/white to match l/m/h/3. Going with white stick, possibly black. No other design ideas at the moment.

Comments

• ExandExand Watching Joined: Posts: 231
    You're missing a wire cutter / stripper.

Optional but probably helpful / cleaner to use
    Quick disconnects for the buttons
    JLF 5 pin wiring harness for the joystick

Dust covers shield the pivot cylinder which is greased (= dust magnet) so I've always thought it a necessity. The shaft cover is there to protect the shaft, and they're not designed to be loose in your grip so it shouldn't be an issue, just a matter of adjusting a bit to the feel / added thickness.

Modding is fun but it does take some work. And soldering skill required for this kind of job. I'll leave the button question to more qualified people to answer lol.

BTW, the one you linked is the PRO line of sticks, not the TE's.
    If you want a personal opinion, I'd go with the SCV stick (same sale price) or even the VS line (more expensive but the best Madcatz case) or the classic TE case over the PRO ones. I don't like the feel of the PRO line cases, they feel too light / too thin. If you play on different systems going for something like the Eightarc or Qanba Q4RAF might be a good idea too as they do 360/PS3/PC right out of the box compared to the Madcatz sticks.
    Currently Playing:
    SSF4 AE | Dota2
  • POPSKNZPOPSKNZ Joined: Posts: 26
    Hello there, I've modded 2 of these. If you're not experienced in soldering, I'd suggest getting a practice soldering kit before you solder your button/direction wires to the pcb. I ordered one on Amazon for around $10.

Take note of the pcb year, I had a 07 and a 09. The 07 pcb button mapping is different than the 09 pcb. The button mapping for the 09 pcb stayes the same for PS2 and PS3, the 07 pcb changes system to system. The 09 pcb I believe is the same as a Paewong pcb. It took me longer to finish my 09 mayflash with a Sanwa joystick, but a big thanks to the SRK universe showing us how to mod the Sanwa joystick's pcb. You have to ruin it on purpose by scratching off the grounds to make it "common ground" - very easy to find the info in SRK on how to do this.

You're looking at maybe using 24mm buttons? I don't think those would fit at all, those holes would be too large for one to fit. If seen a few mayflash mods that drilled some holes in the front to add Start and Select if you want to move them.

Also, you might want to invest in a multimeter. You can use this for other things, but you'll appreciate using one for your project. It will help troubleshoot if a button doesn't work or a direction doesn't work by checking the current. I've find it useful when I added Budget Uilas to both of them. I'd check each button/direction one at time to make sure they're working, you can use your computer to see. Keep the dustwasher cover, keeps the internals clean. I leave the shaft cover off, I like the metallic look personally.

I found the mayflash to be a fun project to mod, it's not the easiest but you do learn some while doing it. SRK has many resouces of information to help guide you. Happy modding!
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayflash sticks use 28mm buttons. 24mm buttons will not fit.
    Your only options would be to use actual 28mm Korean buttons (Crowns), or widen the hole to 30mm to use Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons.
    Current stick: custom Modular ABS stick (LS-31-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, JLF + PS-14-KN)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Puzzle Fighter, Hyper SF2, Vampire Savior 2, SF Alpha/Zero 3, Vampire Hunter 2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • RiderkickerRiderkicker Joined: Posts: 111
    How does a JLW fit in this thing?
  • Red ReaperRed Reaper Joined: Posts: 4
    Hey guys. I tried doing this a long time ago but I ended up getting the wrong type of wires and left the whole thing on hold.

I never needed to finish it because the game I play favored pad a bit more than stick, but now I want to finish the project. Knowing how to play on as many types of kontrollers as you kan is always a good thing. I've been to places where there's a kabinet of some old game or something and we have to play on stick to play.

So anyway, what wire should I buy? The first time I bought wire from Radio Shack (copper wire) and it wouldn't solder onto the PCB. My kousin was doing the soldering and told me I bought the wrong wire.

PS: If anybody has the link to the wire I need that would be helpful too. I'm thinking of buying it from Amazon.
    Hey guys. I tried doing this a long time ago but I ended up getting the wrong type of wires and left the whole thing on hold.

I never needed to finish it because the game I play favored pad a bit more than stick, but now I want to finish the project. Knowing how to play on as many types of kontrollers as you kan is always a good thing. I've been to places where there's a kabinet of some old game or something and we have to play on stick to play.

So anyway, what wire should I buy? The first time I bought wire from Radio Shack (copper wire) and it wouldn't solder onto the PCB. My kousin was doing the soldering and told me I bought the wrong wire.

PS: If anybody has the link to the wire I need that would be helpful too. I'm thinking of buying it from Amazon.
    Wire type should not matter, as long as it's copper. It's probably the soldering technique.

On a side note, why are you using Ks for Cs in most, but not all, of your post?...
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Puzzle Fighter, Hyper SF2, Vampire Savior 2, SF Alpha/Zero 3, Vampire Hunter 2
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stranded copper wire, somewhere between 24 to 28 gauge
    Also learn to solder.
    You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • Red ReaperRed Reaper Joined: Posts: 4
    Wire type should not matter, as long as it's copper. It's probably the soldering technique.

On a side note, why are you using Ks for Cs in most, but not all, of your post?...

I'll check exactly what kind it was. I'm pretty sure it was copper.

I write with K's if it starts with a "K" sound but not if it's in the middle of a word. PCB stays as PCB. As for copper, I just felt weird about it.
    Also learn to solder.

I think the wire I got was solid rather than stranded. That might have been the problem.

My kousin was the one doing the soldering, he learned how to solder in the military. Part of his job.

Then again, the military sometimes does a krappy job of teaching. They only kare that you know what you need to know for your job.
  • jack668jack668 Joined: Posts: 5
    avatar8.jpgDust covers shield the pivot cylinder which is greased
    I'll check exactly what kind it was. I'm pretty sure it was copper.
    I write with K's if it starts with a "K" sound but not if it's in the middle of a word. PCB stays as PCB. As for copper, I just felt weird about it.
    I think the wire I got was solid rather than stranded. That might have been the problem.
    My kousin was the one doing the soldering, he learned how to solder in the military. Part of his job.
    Then again, the military sometimes does a krappy job of teaching. They only kare that you know what you need to know for your job.
    Stranded or solid, doesn't matter. It's most likely the soldering technique used.

And about you using Ks; it's not exactly what I was asking. I was mainly asking if you used Ks instead of Cs because English wasn't your first language (in which case it's understandable), or you're just doing it on purpose for whatever reason?

Looking for:
  • AgentClankAgentClank Joined: Posts: 8
    Sweet, thanks for the replies guys. Sorry for delayed post, weekend was busy and shoryuken is acting up for me (the wiki's back up though, so that's nice)
    snip
    Got a cutter, ofc. Do you think just regular e tape would do for holding the wires in place of the harness? Will probably get a soldering practice kit, it's been a few years but shouldn't be an issue.

Also sorry, I meant to link this one: http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5228&idCategory=274
    I'll probably skip anyway. Actually getting good at the game will probably help more haeheheheahhea.
    snip
    Definitely getting a kit or something. I actually have an iron and solder handy, though. Multimeter too. I also already have a dust cover on the default stick. Not sure I want to spend $15 for a different one, but what do you think?

Will check out PCB, but it's the 09 I have to ruin, right?
    Mayflash sticks use 28mm
    Perfect, thanks.

Anyway, SSF4 is on sale for $16 on Amazon for PS3, which I actually have here. Any reason to do it?
    Hey it's back.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this wire will work. It doesn't say that it's copper, but it's 26 stranded otherwise.

Alternatively, is it possible to just reuse the wires after desoldering them?
  • RiderkickerRiderkicker Joined: Posts: 111
    For the dustcover, up to you. I've painted them, bought new clear ones - adds some flavor to your mod.

I did 2 Mayflash mods. The first one had the 07 pcb with no problems modding; the second had the 09 pcb that stopped me in my tracks - both had a Sanwa joystick. I sat it down for almost 2 years, I couldn't get 2 directions to work, didn't even bothering wiring up the buttons so frustrated back then.

So in a nutshell, a Sanwa joystick pcb needs to be modded to get it to work with the Mayflash 09 pcb. Hence ruin it (the Sanwa pcb) by scratching the grounds.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POPSKNZ wrote: »
    For the dustcover, up to you. I've painted them, bought new clear ones - adds some flavor to your mod.

I did 2 Mayflash mods. The first one had the 07 pcb with no problems modding; the second had the 09 pcb that stopped me in my tracks - both had a Sanwa joystick. I sat it down for almost 2 years, I couldn't get 2 directions to work, didn't even bothering wiring up the buttons so frustrated back then.

So in a nutshell, a Sanwa joystick pcb needs to be modded to get it to work with the Mayflash 09 pcb. Hence ruin it (the Sanwa pcb) by scratching the grounds.

Or replace the Mayflash PCB
    You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IRQRRO/<br />
    Is a better value. 24AWG almost 197 feet of wire for $13ish.
    Bought wire, but passed on that one. I don't need that much, and am likely to move (relatively) soon so I don't think I'll have much use for them.
    POPSKNZ wrote: »

Grounds scratched.

The stick I got came with its own dustcovers, so apparently the dustcover set ($15) really was completely redundant.

The other question I had was what I should use to remove the "screw points" in this video

I can't just find different screws because they won't fit in the plastic piece (the gate) on top. If it helps, I've got my hands on a power drill with removable tip.
    AgentClank wrote: »
    Got a cutter, ofc. Do you think just regular e tape would do for holding the wires in place of the harness? Will probably get a soldering practice kit, it's been a few years but shouldn't be an issue.
    Sorry missed this during SRK's forum revamp. You could use electrical tape yes, but it might cause you headaches later when a wire comes loose or you want to swap buttons and have to take tape off / retape. A crimper + quick disconnects for your wires would make your life easier.
    The other question I had was what I should use to remove the "screw points" in this video
    Is there not enough room to use an Xacto knife? Or use a file to file it down?
    A dremel if you have one / know how to use one (safety goggles).

Currently Playing:
    SSF4 AE | Dota2

I didn't remove any screw points. I used the plastic Mayflash mounting plate to help screw down the Sanwa. I just broke off the plastic tabs. It wasn't the cleanest look, made 4 dimples. I hade some plexi boards made so that and the artwork hides them. Can't remember what screws  I used , most likely the Sanwa.

My joystick height suffered some too, but worked out fine. Extented joystick shafts are available though.

Exand said:
    Sorry missed this during SRK's forum revamp. You could use electrical tape yes, but it might cause you headaches later when a wire comes loose or you want to swap buttons and have to take tape off / retape. A crimper + quick disconnects for your wires would make your life easier.
    Is there not enough room to use an Xacto knife? Or use a file to file it down?
    A dremel if you have one / know how to use one (safety goggles).

Well I went with tape and joints. Also the knife worked alright, it was just a small fit and took some time. I used longer screws and didn't put the gate in, though: don't have the right length screws, will probably visit a hobby shop at some point to find some. 

Doesn't matter anyway because it didn't work. It's weird: when I plug it into my USB 3.0 port, it doesn't register on the computer, and when I plug it into the 2.0 port I get a "power requirement too high," which also disables my mouse until I unplug it. (on a side note, the 3.0 port also doesn't accept the plug all the way in, but that was never an issue with just the Mayflash.  

Everything looks in place otherwise. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Doesn't matter anyway because it didn't work. It's weird: when I plug it into my USB 3.0 port, it doesn't register on the computer, and when I plug it into the 2.0 port I get a "power requirement too high," which also disables my mouse until I unplug it. (on a side note, the 3.0 port also doesn't accept the plug all the way in, but that was never an issue with just the Mayflash.  

Everything looks in place otherwise. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

There's only so much power your onboard USB ports can sustain depending on your mobo. Do you have a programmable USB keyboard or mouse? Or an external harddrive connected? Have you checked the power draw of each USB device through the Device Manager -> USB controllers -> (right click on USB hubs) Properties -> Power (tab)

What kind of error does your PS3 give?

Also, so your computer recognized the Mayflash without the power error when it wasn't connected to the buttons / stick?
    You're sure you didn't damage the USB cable while you were working on the mod?
    Currently Playing:
    SSF4 AE | Dota2