UMvC3 OTT: Fighting is magic? Such Heroic Nonsense!

Comments

• The DukeThe Duke Joined: Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AceKillah said:
    Cougar cut down on the drugs.
    Or up the dose. Drugs are weird like that.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013

No...I use all of the reaction icons seriously and forgot to figure the potential irony.
    Post edited by DevilJin 01 on
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • CougarCougar Logic, yo. Joined: Posts: 1,528
    Cougar said:<br />
    I'd post this in the tier thread, but they have no logic or open-mindedness.<br />
    My Tier List of Truth<br />
    Didn't double check it, but it seemed legit when I put it together. liek subscrib n commnt pls<br />
    Also, the way it's more dense towards the top is intentional. Many of the top tier or high tier characters are extremely close in viability, whereas the low tier characters are just so far off that they need a large space like that.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Wolverine below Sentinel? Chun-Li above Chris? Arthur in high-mid tier? Hulk below Rocket Raccoon (who should be much lower than that imo)? Akuma above Spider-Man? And Strange in very high tier? @Maziodyne<br />
    I disagree with that list a whooole lot outside of the obvious top characters....and Vergil should be as far left as possible, he is very braindead and easy to use. He's not a technical character at all.

Sentinel is in there for the top tier assist. This has nothing to do with solo power, but team value, and Sentinel brings a LOT to the table.

Chris is really bad... Chun Li is extremely technical but has the most disgusting mixups in the entire game when she goes in. They're all technical though, so we don't see them, but I have so much tech on her it's ridiculous. I don't play her because I dislike her combos, and in general she's waaay too hard for me.

Arthur is good... You have to look at things with an open mind, and open-mindedly speaking he's an amazing zoner with ridiculous rushdown, and XF infinites. His damage is lacking, but a lot of characters have lacking damage and he should probably be trying to TAC or switch out if he gets a hit anyway.

Hulk sucks, learn2grab

Rocket Raccoon at least has some competitive potential, and his assist is as deadly as anything else.

Akuma is above Spiderman. How you could even question that baffles me :P Dem grabs man, way too strong. Converts from every random hit so consistently, and he has pretty easy mixups for ridiculous damage.

Strange is high tier. If you don't believe me, then I can prove you wrong next winter at Winter Brawl/Apex/whatever else I decide to go to. He is absurd in every form, and the only area he sucks in is getting people off of him which is why we have assists.
    [ Magneto | Nova | Sentinel ]
    UMvC3: [Strange/Haggar/Arthur] Low tier heroes, represent!
    PSN: TheCougar44. Add me if you want to play some matches!
  • JetpackJesus808JetpackJesus808 I wish Lee was in SFxT Joined: Posts: 847
    Cougar said:
    I feel like you're overrating Strange (no neutral game, cannot into creating space) and MODOK (No lows and a lack of chicken-blocking without using a HitBox does not a top 10 character make),  and you're harshly underrating Skrull as well (He's just 2solid4me, pokes are 2strong and mixups are fast and can be set up instantly anywhere anytime, good damage, only flaw is a lack of ways to maintain constant pressure which is bad for an offensive character like him)
    UMvC3: Skrull/Joe/Akuma  TTT2: Purple/Pheonix  SFxT: Poison/Raven, learning Steve  AE2012: Rose, Sagat
    XBL: JetpackJesus808

• ThatJollyOlBastidThatJollyOlBastid Non-stop Climax! Joined: Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah. It's like this.

Chris is b- SUCK ON THIS 

And now your assist is dead and 40% of your life is gone due to chip from flame grenades
    "Seth is like McDonald's. You can learn to make the same burger in 2 days as the person who's worked there for 5 years" ~ Dogura
  • WildGamerWildGamer Joined: Posts: 1,019
    i just came here to say that SRK looks like straight buttcheeks now and is probably 90% why i haven't been active recently (the other 10% is me going out to film). I actually finished a rough cut minute of the Boondocks AMV that I'm working on, so if you want I can show you guys it.

Also, anyone have links to HQ, HD The Boondocks episodes? All 3 seasons?
    PSN: WildGamer23
    UMvC3: Practicing Vergil/Wesker/Magneto and Nova/Frank/Dormammu
    Chris isn't entirely bad, but it's more like this: If Chris gives your team trouble, then you really need a new team. No way you're beating Morridoom if you can't beat Chris.

I should redo the technical part of the tier list, as almost every character is miles off, but I cbb right now xD
  • ThatJollyOlBastidThatJollyOlBastid Non-stop Climax! Joined: Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cougar said:
    Chris isn't entirely bad, but it's more like this: If Chris gives your team trouble, then you really need a new team. No way you're beating Morridoom if you can't beat Chris.

I should redo the technical part of the tier list, as almost every character is miles off, but I cbb right now xD
    Replace Chris with Shuma
    "Seth is like McDonald's. You can learn to make the same burger in 2 days as the person who's worked there for 5 years" ~ Dogura
  • NonSexualRiceNonSexualRice I will personally Castrate George R.R Martin Joined: Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cougar said:.

Sentinel is in there for the top tier assist. This has nothing to do with solo power, but team value, and Sentinel brings a LOT to the table.

Chris is really bad... Chun Li is extremely technical but has the most disgusting mixups in the entire game when she goes in. They're all technical though, so we don't see them, but I have so much tech on her it's ridiculous. I don't play her because I dislike her combos, and in general she's waaay too hard for me.

Arthur is good... You have to look at things with an open mind, and open-mindedly speaking he's an amazing zoner with ridiculous rushdown, and XF infinites.

Arthur good rushdown lololol 

Xbox 360 GT:Jsoledout1
    BB: Carl, Valkenhayn, Tsubaki
    SG: Ms.Fortune/Painwheel/Valentine
    Youtube.com/SexualRice---> Jill umvc3 nonsense.
    Put this in the tier thread. these jokes are too good to get buried.
  • JetpackJesus808JetpackJesus808 I wish Lee was in SFxT Joined: Posts: 847
    marvel online the best
    I'm not seeing enough curses in that message, you obviously weren't applying yourself. Hulk/Dante/Vergil should fix that.
    UMvC3: Skrull/Joe/Akuma  TTT2: Purple/Pheonix  SFxT: Poison/Raven, learning Steve  AE2012: Rose, Sagat
    XBL: JetpackJesus808

• NooneyouknowNooneyouknow Joined: Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭
    Is it May yet? ;_;
    XBL:Nooneyouknow13

marvel online the best
    This guy gives Arakune lovers a bad name
  • NooneyouknowNooneyouknow Joined: Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭
    The Duke said:

marvel online the best
    I'd have sent a reply of "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES"
    XBL:Nooneyouknow13
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef "Chrom's here!" *boom* ..."Chrom's Deconfimed!" Joined: Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Duke wrote: »
    ThatJollyOlBastid said:<br />
    <br />
    marvel online the best<br />
    <br />
    <br />

Doesn't loving Arakune give you a bad enough name already?
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    edited February 2013
    I went on smashboards earlier and saw how they were switching to Xeno. So jolly.

Vanilla is fucking AWFUL. There is no way you will make me think otherwise. Rather use phpbb of all things

Spoiler:

ill never get over how terrible this intro is
    Post edited by ThatJollyOlBastid on
  • AceKillahAceKillah Divine Blade Joined: Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah posting on this site just feels like a huge fucking hassle now. I shouldn't have to subject my eyes to such nonsense.
    "Learn from your losses. Every great fighter does."
    Meanwhile on iPod, mobile version doesn't have visual problems other than being ugly
  • The UltimatorThe Ultimator I fight for my friends. Joined: Posts: 1,977
    edited February 2013
    Cougar wrote: »
    Cougar said:<br />
    I'd post this in the tier thread, but they have no logic or open-mindedness.<br />
    My Tier List of Truth<br />
    Didn't double check it, but it seemed legit when I put it together. liek subscrib n commnt pls<br />
    Also, the way it's more dense towards the top is intentional. Many of the top tier or high tier characters are extremely close in viability, whereas the low tier characters are just so far off that they need a large space like that.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Wolverine below Sentinel? Chun-Li above Chris? Arthur in high-mid tier? Hulk below Rocket Raccoon (who should be much lower than that imo)? Akuma above Spider-Man? And Strange in very high tier? @Maziodyne<br />
    I disagree with that list a whooole lot outside of the obvious top characters....and Vergil should be as far left as possible, he is very braindead and easy to use. He's not a technical character at all.

Arthur is good... You have to look at things with an open mind, and open-mindedly speaking he's an amazing zoner with ridiculous rushdown, and XF infinites. His damage is lacking, but a lot of characters have lacking damage and he should probably be trying to TAC or switch out if he gets a hit anyway.

Hulk sucks, learn2grab

Rocket Raccoon at least has some competitive potential, and his assist is as deadly as anything else.

Akuma is above Spiderman. How you could even question that baffles me :P Dem grabs man, way too strong. Converts from every random hit so consistently, and he has pretty easy mixups for ridiculous damage.

Strange is high tier. If you don't believe me, then I can prove you wrong next winter at Winter Brawl/Apex/whatever else I decide to go to. He is absurd in every form, and the only area he sucks in is getting people off of him which is why we have assists.

But Wolverine has the most relentless rushdown there is, so he should be way higher than Sent, at least one slot below top tier. Have you even played a good Spidey? He's way better than Akuma in the fireball department since his have more durability and he can combo off of them. He has some ridiculous normals whereas Akuma's don't have a lot of range. Plus Spidey's runaway and rushdown are much much better than Akuma. The Racoon is ass because his hitstun is inconsistent, which makes comboing off of stray hits very random. His normals are among the worst in the game too. His keepaway is decent, but not amazing. Arthur has no ground dash. Nuff said, he can't be high tier. Plus he gets mauled very badly by rushdown unless you random shoryuken, and if they block you're dead. Chun-li gets lamed out very easily, and her normals aren't that amazing (she's like a bad Jill). Chris has dat magnum and is able to chip a lot, plus he's got Dorm's vanilla flame carpet which he an ToD you off of. Plus, my grab game is way better than most people on this site. Hulk is mid tier, I run sets with a great Hulk player all the time. Any mistake against him leads to meterless ToD, and if you get thrown, THC into death.
    Post edited by The Ultimator on
    XBL: The Ultimator25
    Retired from UMvC3 – at least for now.
    SSBM & Project M – Mains: Ike, Marth
    Chrom or Lucina for Smash 4!
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you get spoilers to work?
    STOMP!
  • eivellordsm2eivellordsm2 Macho Barbarian dongzilla Joined: Posts: 1,334
    How do you get spoilers to work?
    you dont
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Yeah the only way you might be able to get spoilers to work is if you know the HTML for it. There's a bbcode wiki icon on the bottom of posts now so I guess it's just a matter of them getting the spoiler bbcode to work again.

Then again you could always just makeshift turn your text white...

Hold and move left click below to see spoiler.  

Fucking fuckers
    Post edited by DevilJin 01 on
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • leafcolonelleafcolonel Apprentice of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

RIP SRK.

The forum activity is reduced to 20-25% what it once was. Why did they bother with this and not listen to what Jaxel said is pretty dumb. The interface was fine, the servers were not.

• Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Or just highlight it with black like this

Snake kills Dumbledores

Spoiler:

this works though same bbcode as before

Post edited by Mr. X on
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • eivellordsm2eivellordsm2 Macho Barbarian dongzilla Joined: Posts: 1,334
    Why weren't you there to protect Russia's skies when we needed you?. ;_;
    was Russia destroyed?
     no
    I think you owe someone an apology... 
    How about this?

Updated the list to better match the truth... This one any better?
  • The UltimatorThe Ultimator I fight for my friends. Joined: Posts: 1,977
    edited February 2013
    Wolverine needs to be farther up, Doctor Doom should be waaaaayyy to the left, Viper should be farther right than Zero, Spidey should be like two lines higher, Amaterasu should be lower, Hawkeye should be lower, and Dorm should be in God Tier. Strider should also be a little to the left of the middle since he is extremely scrubby as an XF3 anchor.
    EDIT: Didn't see this before, but Skrull should be way up in high tier. I don't get why he is so low on your list.
    Post edited by The Ultimator on
    XBL: The Ultimator25
    Retired from UMvC3 – at least for now.
    SSBM & Project M – Mains: Ike, Marth
    Chrom or Lucina for Smash 4!
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus In name only. Joined: Posts: 8,452
    edited February 2013
    Today's GGPO tournament is both Vampire Savior AND Vampire Savior 2 afterwards! Come watch or join, it's starting in 30 minutes:

Post edited by Noble Cactus on
    "No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell."
    - Jung
  • SouthSouth Joined: Posts: 132
    ok was in the lab with firebrand wallballs and they're soooo gooooooooooooooooooood.

you can convert full screen if you chase it even without that three fireball trick.
    SF4: Ryu/Balrog/Chun-Li
    UMVC3: Brammy-bots/Bennett Don't Got $*!& on This [Firebrand/Sentinel/Amaterasu]
    MVC2: Jars of Dirt [RubyHeart/BlackHeart/Sentinel]
    Member of the TLC Dojo
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Diek StiekemDiek Stiekem Such Heroic Nonsense! Joined: Posts: 2,442 mod
    I hate to admit it.. but SFxT 2013 is actually somewhat fun imo ^^;
    "Such Heroic Nonsense!"

PSN: DiekStiekem
    XBL: DiekStiekemSRK
    Av by Savaii64
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you think spiderman is good i don't think you know enough about spiderman

spiderman's projectiles are probably not more durable than akuma's btw, web ball is 5, web throw is 1, web zip is 1. Akuma's fireball is probably 5 because most fireballs are.

converting off of web zip is good (more spiderman players are starting to do this), but there is 0 reason why people should get hit by web zip in the first place besides not knowing the matchup.

spiderman's rushdown is pretty bad, web ball, web swing, spidersting, and web throw are all unsafe on block at close range and his normals are either too slow or too small to use effectively in mvc3 rushdown.

spiderman is a little bit like a combination of spencer and morrigan, and is clearly worse than both in their special fields, and the hybridization is not worth using him. the only thing you could really reason to using him are his unblockable incoming setups, and the fact that a lot of people don't know the matchup.
  • DayUnDayUn Joined: Posts: 1,682 ✭✭
    We should play xT tonight giez

My Toesies > Your Footses

XBL: DAYUN FURY
  • jamal313jamal313 >plays top tier >never wins. Joined: Posts: 12,702
    sup
    "if you can't accept losing you cant win." UMVC3: viper/dante/strider
    persona 4: Yosuke
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potentially ask a dumb question: Why not when dealing with Phoenix and you're down to her and you have 3 characters, why not just attack her but leave her with a sliver of health and runaway the entire time? If you have 30 seconds on the clock it doesn't seem too bad. 
    STOMP!
  • Cosmic_CastawayCosmic_Castaway Legendary Dark Knight Joined: Posts: 2,449
    Strange is not high tier.  Certainly not on par with Mag, Spencer, Doom, Dorm, or Dante.  Nor is he better than Strider, Wesker, Wolverine, Taskmaster, etc.

People need to get their heads out of their asses.

Also Chris, Rocket, and Skrull in low tier.  -_-
    The Excusatory Wizard of Execution
    Potentially ask a dumb question: Why not when dealing with Phoenix and you're down to her and you have 3 characters, why not just attack her but leave her with a sliver of health and runaway the entire time? If you have 30 seconds on the clock it doesn't seem too bad. 

It's a highly effective strategy when the timer (and her health) is low. If it's at more than like 40 seconds, she can just turn on you with XF and rip you to shreds. Regular XF3 Phoenix is actually pretty deadly since she has all that meter to work with.

But yeah, that works and it's been in use since Vanilla.
  • jamal313jamal313 >plays top tier >never wins. Joined: Posts: 12,702
    30 secs in marvel is pretty long and its really hard to do that when the dmg in the game is high and u can get hit by anything. not to mention regular phoenix is pretty good at attacking and chipping out ppl with crossup teleports..

but its still a plan regardless. 
    "if you can't accept losing you cant win." UMVC3: viper/dante/strider
    persona 4: Yosuke
  • Cosmic_CastawayCosmic_Castaway Legendary Dark Knight Joined: Posts: 2,449
    Tbh probably the most effective strategy against a Phoenix team is to lame them out.  You waste time, and you kill the characters as they try to bring the fight to you.  Worst case scenario she has 5 bars (or close to it), but there's only like 15-20 seconds left.  If you're smart you'll have at least one character on your team that works well against Phoenix, or is a straight up counter pick.  

Next best idea is to just kill both characters in front and then deal with Phoenix when she only has like 3.5 bars and will be hesitant to use XF until she gets a hit.  But that's harder than just letting them come to you in some cases.  
    The Excusatory Wizard of Execution
  • ironboy89ironboy89 Beep Boop Beep Joined: Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭
    Lol you can't escape Phoenix.  Tons, tons people forget that Bitch has some of the best mobility options.  She can keep up with Magneto, she has a teleport that goes where ever you go, psycho crusher to punish bad assist calls, and she doesn't have give fuck about spam assists because she can live them die.

On top of that, you can't call assist because Phoenix will just kindly just let herself get hit.  You can't punish her either because she will just kindly take the punishment.  Also you can't fire projectiles either because Phoenix will just take the hit.  Finally, if she hits you that's free damage for her because she can keep up with any runaway character in the game.

You are better off mastering incoming mixups, anti-phoenix setups then trying to runaway from Phoenix.    30 MARVEL seconds of that is too much against somebody who knows their shit.
  • Crazy_mofo213Crazy_mofo213 It's my BnB, I never f*ck it up Joined: Posts: 1,971
    edited February 2013
    Running away from Phoenix rarely goes as planned. 
    If you try to kill her, she will not look for you, she will not pursue you. But if you don't, she will look for you, she will find you, and she will kill you...or let you kill her. Either way, she gets what she wants.
    Post edited by Crazy_mofo213 on
    UMVC3: (Felicia/Taskmaster/Rocket Raccoon) (Felicia/Taskmaster/Dr. Doom)
    BB: Tsubaki/Platinum
    3S/SSF4: Ibuki
    XBL: FrenchFry213
  • MysticRayMysticRay Mashes Dive Kick Until It Works. Joined: Posts: 4,732
    Chris is only good when you have Dante and Strider.
    Then you can't touch him without being chipped to death. >_<
    UMVC3 Teams: Kawaiibrand/Skrub/Whackbot . Kawaiibrand/Dog/Skrub
    Lovez the chubbays and Dark Magician Fatty.
    @Rokmode

How do i get Doom to side switch at the end of a combo so air photon ray super>shockwave dhc isnt ass
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    footdive will corner crossup

anyway vs. phoenix, best strats:
    have strider ouroboros out when you pop jean  (it should be alright to activate ouro/xf as jean is incoming, pop, just go ham since she has no super)
    have vergil swords out when you pop jean
    snap!
    tacs! if you hit their char first, run up/down tacs to build meter for snaps or just having supers.

not as good strats
    pop asap, lame out dark phoenix with supers until she doesn't have xf

silly strats that actually are pretty good:
    kill their first character and time them out; they have a solo character and phoenix assist with maybe 3 bars.
    in general this only really works vs haggar or sentinel second... teams with doom, magneto,