To forum or not to forum...

Comments

• CrownAxeCrownAxe Joined: Posts: 44
    Is there some sort of trick to making SRK work properly on my browser? every now and then the site will just give random errors, fail to load, or just take to damn long to do anything. I'm using chrome btw.
    frankly i think this alone is why we should have our own forum. So that it works

SRK is down for me at least 1/2 the time i try and go here
    ·
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    I'm not saying having our own forums is a bad idea. In fact, it's a great idea. Newcomers and curious people are more likely to find our own forums than these ones or Dustloop's.

What I don't understand is that games that had a guaranteed spot at EVO all have their side forums, and are perfectly fine. While MK has a basically dead forum here, still going strong on Test Your Might AND The Realm of Mortal Kombat. TWO separate forums for a small community, and they're still doing good.

But let's still wait for official word, and by official I don't mean a Facebook screenshot.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
    ·
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭
    I don't get the wait for Lab Zero to make the forum honestly.

It's like they're the developers and leaders of the community right now. It's nice they're involved but they're not crutches or an excuse to not do something ourselves.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    ·
  • KristophKristoph sing my lullaby Joined: Posts: 427
    Yeah I don't understand that at all. It reminds me of when people were asking Ravidrath if he'd keep recording Friday Night Fights, even though the game was being released and we'd be able to have our own match footage. It's awesome that we're being supported by an active developer, but relying on them to do our work for us makes our future less certain and their job harder.

This is a pretty ideal opportunity for us. The donation drive was a hit, and Squigly news should keep people's eyes on Skullgirls even if they weren't originally interested. We'll (HOPEFULLY) be making great showings at UFGT9 and CEO, and who knows, we might even have some 'official' Evo exposure in some capacity. This week's Skullbats had ~38 partipants, up from ~26 last week and ~22 the week prior. None of this screams "wait and see" to me!
    ·
    Seems like most voted "Yes" so far

Start name suggestions?
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
  • wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 461
    I have no idea if its a good idea to have our own forum, but all of the character forums here could use a post-patch revamp. There's a lot of lingering obsolete information
    PSN: wiredgod
    BB: Carl
    P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia
    ·
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    I have no idea if its a good idea to have our own forum, but all of the character forums here could use a post-patch revamp. There's a lot of lingering obsolete information

Best move on that front is to create new threads for SDE. Posters can get started on that.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
    ·
    Yeah, that's something that needs to be remedied in general. I'm not a huge fan of the whole "someone makes a character thread, updates it for a few weeks, then stops being active" model we've got going. Would be better to have something that more people could contribute to so things stay up-to-date.

As for a name, Skullheart.com is the only one I've liked so far. Nice, clean, simple. shrug
    ·
  • ZentsurugiZentsurugi Joined: Posts: 349
    I think a dedicated forum site to Skullgirls would be a great idea.
    ·
    We need to create the forum as a soon as possible to capitalize on the new interests from the donation drive.

Strike while the iron's hot.
    ·

As for a name, Skullheart.com is the only one I've liked so far. Nice, clean, simple. shrug
    +1 for this
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,288 mod
    I'd rather not split off and isolate the community, something that's bound to happen if you do create a new, SG specific forum. Not good when the community isn't big enough yet to truly stand on its own.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, skullheart.com seemed to be the most popular of the choices in the previous thread, so I went ahead and registered it when we were still discussing it there (though there's nothing there yet, ofc).

EDIT: That said, it's not set in stone and (it's just that I get pretty cheap domain registration, so I figured why not) so if anybody comes up with a better name we could use that instead.
    SFIV: Sakura (Poison?) | Skullgirls: Fortune/Bella | LB2: Yuki
    ·
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    Tunawithbacon?
    Basedbroads?
    Labeight?
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
    ·
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    Well we got some support for Evo despite not being a main game to further add to the momentum whether or not we do this or not
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
    ·
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    Is there some sort of trick to making SRK work properly on my browser? every now and then the site will just give random errors, fail to load, or just take to damn long to do anything. I'm using chrome btw.

and right now as I'm typing this reply, I get two error messages that failed to connect to server
    They are currently in the process of switching servers to better accommodate traffic
    It's nice to meet you, too.
    ·
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    How many SF players / random people / etc go and buy MK/VF?

Justin Wong is now playing and training on the latest version of VF, and some of SRK's most hardcore and old-school members are teaching it to him.

We're not a "closed off community" at all, so please, check your facts in future before making such ignorant slurs, and lumping us in with well documented joke party games like MK.
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
    ·
  • Teenage Bad GirlTeenage Bad Girl every game is ass Joined: Posts: 37
    get at my signature
    SRK IS An ugly  AND SHITTY WEBSITE

Vote for Stanley
    ·
  • RokmodeRokmode preppy asked me to change my title rip meaty mud flap Joined: Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get at my signature
    copy cat
    THIS WEBSITE SUCKS GIANT HORSE @#$@#$@!@$
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
    ·
  • NickRocksNickRocks MvC2 sucks Joined: Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MvC2 forum?
    Niggas get played this the ps4 house, spending dirty money at the 3rd world ho house
    Strip club love me cause I trick off stacks...then I rob the bitch, give my money back
    Pushin weight off, throwing it up; pills in her mouth, coke in her butt
    ·
  • Teenage Bad GirlTeenage Bad Girl every game is ass Joined: Posts: 37
    copy cat

great minds dink a duurrr
    SRK IS An ugly  AND SHITTY WEBSITE

Vote for Stanley
    ·
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Yay for people liking Skullheart.com

The heart of Skullgirls: literally.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
    ·
  • RekanoRekano ONE MORE ONCE Joined: Posts: 602
    Labeight?
    ^ I like that one myself, with George as our mascot.
    -Rekano OuTz
    "Chris Hansen can't stop them titties."-Geese Pants
    ·
  • Age_of_FoolsAge_of_Fools Joined: Posts: 705
    I was going to suggest some stage names like Maplecrest, then I googled it and it's a funeral home. :o
    Beginner's Guide to Cerebella
    Cerebella mixup video
    XBL: Age of Fools [Cerebella/Double/Parasoul/Painwheel]
    "i mean look the length of your post…" -Dime X
    ·
  • nicknytenicknyte Joined: Posts: 4
    Swagwagon.com
    ·
    Swagwagon.com
    Already taken. Republicancar.com is free, though.
    ·
  • Sanger ZonvoltSanger Zonvolt Future Cyberbots Pro Joined: Posts: 1,529
    I'm in favor of SkullHeart.com, it's the best name for Skullgirls based site.
    Sword of Sophia and fightan games
    Cyberbots: Super-8 & Helion
    Vampire Savior: Lilith, Jedah, and Demitri
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Filia/Squigly
    ·
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭
    But if we call it skullheart.... What do we call the skullgirls sequel? Skullheart works awesome as a title and takes the gender cap out as well...

Big band anyone? Lets go.
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
    ·
  • CellsaiCellsai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 178
    But if we call it skullheart.... What do we call the skullgirls sequel?
    The Skull Heart has you covered at 20:09 :

Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
    ·
  • Fatal_PokeFatal_Poke Xbox: Knives the Wolf Joined: Posts: 83
    Oh, the fun that comes from having nothing to do.
    ·
  • Sanger ZonvoltSanger Zonvolt Future Cyberbots Pro Joined: Posts: 1,529
    We really need to get our own forum because Shoryuken crashes every other hour.
    Sword of Sophia and fightan games
    Cyberbots: Super-8 & Helion
    Vampire Savior: Lilith, Jedah, and Demitri
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Filia/Squigly
    ·
  • fluxcorefluxcore Fighting Kiwi Joined: Posts: 302
    Here's an interesting new forum software that looks really fresh, interesting, free, open source, and won't ever get considered...

http://discourse.org

More info behind it:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2013/02/civilized-discourse-construction-kit.html

They have venture capital funding, is developed (at least in part) by people behind stackexchange, and have a 5 year plan to become the wordpress of forums, basically. It's nifty.
    There is no knowledge that is not power
    ·
  • djunuudjunuu NADIA BUSINESS Joined: Posts: 60
    Looks like the SRK forums are going down for at least a week. If we are to make a new forum, might as well do it now, since everything is going down, and this is basically our only hub of information
    ·
    Yeah, looks like we've got about 8 hours to decide. I can probably get get something up by then, but the forum software will not the final one we use.

EDIT: Assuming I can get it up, it'll be at skullheart.com
    ·
    Do it

SRK is going down, the negatives aren't ever much of negatives, the poll is in favor (especially if you ignore "what's a forum").
    ·
    CrownAxe, can you do me a favour? Save a copy of each page (or if it's a huge thread just the last few pages) in the few Skullgirls threads that have been active over the last day or so. That way we can at least read what we posted here once we've moved.

Normally I'd do this myself, but I'm going to be busy setting things up.
    ·
    Yeah I can do that, Im just going to copy past into a word document if that's alright
    ·
    Yeah, that'd be great. It's just so that we can still se what people said once the site goes down.
    ·
    Can we get a sticky up or something, to spread the word or whatever? Shrug
    ·
    GGs guys!

I love how this comes off as a 'Storms coming! Everyone into the basement! Grab only what you need!' sort of deal.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
    ·
    Why not use Xenforo? Unless it's expensive.

SRK is the only site using Xenforo with issues (and it's user error, not xenforo's fault).
    IGN uses Xenforo, as does 8wayrun, VFDC, testyourmight, freestepdodge, etc.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
  • worldjem7worldjem7 Seven World Jems Joined: Posts: 544
    In the mean time, we can always go to Dustloop to talk about SkullGirls.
    http://www.dustloop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?161-Skullgirls
    ·
    Xenforo costs around $120 IIRC. vBulletin is like $250. I'm going to install a free version for now, and then migrate to a paid option later.
    ·
    Xenforo costs around $120 IIRC. vBulletin is like $250. I'm going to install a free version for now, and then migrate to a paid option later.
    Well i could chip in $40 right(All i could spare atm, have not got paid yet) now to cover some of the expenses if other people are chipping in. If we are doing this, might as well get the more expensive option if the benefits are worth it. I could also hold off and help out when i get more Cash as well is another option and just stick with the Free Version for now until we migrate
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
    ·
    OK, hosting has come through - just have to wait for the nameservers to change and you'll be able to start using it.
    ·
    Skullheart.com is live

Read this to understand whats happening

edit: I'll clarify for those that did not read the second link, this is a temporary area atm before migrating to a nicer area happens
    ·
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭
    Yo...that lefty layout is terrible.
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
    ·
    Yo...that lefty layout is terrible.
    yeah, but it's only temporary. it was all a bit short-notice so we're just getting the content sorted first.
    ·
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    <~~~~ I'm actually updating CK now but if you get a front page going (like DL has or whatever) and need someone to update it, I'm your man.
    ·
    Woohoo. Now it's time to steal everyone's usernames.
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
    ·