To forum or not to forum...

124»

Comments

• Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    For the record there were probably around two to three forums around for Melty Blood before MeltyBread dropped in 2007 thanks to Arlieth <3. That included SRK, though we only had a thread and no forums. Regardless MeltyBread did become the central hub for all things Melty, the thing is it happened naturally. The necessity to have a forum now is simply riding on the wave of good vibes from the donation drive. It's akin to a viral video on youtube pushing tshirts out the week after to bank on its 15 minutes of fame. As things are now we'll have Skullheart for when SRK goes down, but when SRK is back up do we just leave SH to second pickings? What about the official forum (which I 100% believe is on its way soon)? Is Skullheart going to still be there when skullgirls.com/forums is up and running?

There's no real need to capitalize on anything yet for a forum. We got this attention from a drive held by SRK to enter a forum run by SRK. We should really keep things here until the official forum is good to go. We were practically born here and this is really where we'll get the most exposure to help others. Honestly I already signed up for SH but once the official forum drops I won't be going back to it.
  • girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    Why can't gameplay talk happen at both again? I must've missed that.

Forum is new, there is no rep or impression that comes to mind.

because like 5 people regularly talk about gameplay.

and if 2 of those people don't join, then everyone's fucked.
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
  • worldjem7worldjem7 Seven World Jems Joined: Posts: 544
    Staying here just because we've always been here isn't a good enough reason to not make a new forum. It's already there anyway, so shut up and deal with it.

The community will only split if you insist it will split by resisting this change and insisting we ONLY stay on SRK.

Get over yourselves.
    Staying here just because we've always been here isn't a good enough reason to not make a new forum. It's already there anyway, so shut up and deal with it.

The community will only split if you insist it will split by resisting this change and insisting we ONLY stay on SRK.

Get over yourselves.

you do realize your entire argument could be spun back at you with the exact same wording?

"get over yourself"

people have listed more logistic negative reasons then positive ones. no one has been able to address these issues. and no one has been able to put up an argument against the rebuttals for the positive ones.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    For the record there were probably around two to three forums around for Melty Blood before MeltyBread dropped in 2007 thanks to Arlieth <3. That included SRK, though we only had a thread and no forums. Regardless MeltyBread did become the central hub for all things Melty, the thing is it happened naturally. The necessity to have a forum now is simply riding on the wave of good vibes from the donation drive. It's akin to a viral video on youtube pushing tshirts out the week after to bank on its 15 minutes of fame. As things are now we'll have Skullheart for when SRK goes down, but when SRK is back up do we just leave SH to second pickings? What about the official forum (which I 100% believe is on its way soon)? Is Skullheart going to still be there when skullgirls.com/forums is up and running?

There's no real need to capitalize on anything yet for a forum. We got this attention from a drive held by SRK to enter a forum run by SRK. We should really keep things here until the official forum is good to go. We were practically born here and this is really where we'll get the most exposure to help others. Honestly I already signed up for SH but once the official forum drops I won't be going back to it.
    Official forums brings back memories of Namco axing the old Soul Calibur forums and letting all the info die.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    Testing out new ideas is how humanity made progress throughout the ages..

Of course there is risk involved, what doesn't? If everyone wanted to play things safe then innovation would have been drastically halted

If SH fails, it fails no big loss. Better then the alternative of not doing anything at all and hope for the official forums to eventually open. If it does eventually open then good news, but that has little relevance to the present

Mike Z having no idea when the official forums will open does not bode well. Its been nearly a year since this game been released. I think enough time has passed to warrant an experiment of this idea. You can never know that it can be the start of something big unless you actually try and not just discuss theories all day
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
    Testing out new ideas is how humanity made progress throughout the ages..

Of course there is risk involved, what doesn't? If everyone wanted to play things safe then innovation would have been drastically halted

If SH fails, it fails. Better then not doing anything at all and play with our thumbs in the meantime

Mike Z having no idea when the official forums will open does not bode well. Its been nearly a year since this game been released. I think enough time has passed to warrant an experiment of this idea. You can never know that it can be the start of something big

I guess I just don't understand the innovation or progress being made.

I think there is more out reach through SRK, especially with the recent drive.
    SRK also is more convient what with all the info already being here, notifications, etc.
    Any thread that could be made on SH could be made here, with the same success.

I think it ABSOLUTLEY makes sense though for the time SRK is down, and if its found it offers
    something then SRK doesn't, then sweet.

But at the moment its pretty disorganized compared to SRKs setup, IMO, and it doesn't offer the same convient services.
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 421
    But at the moment its pretty disorganized compared to SRKs setup, IMO, and it doesn't offer the same convient services.
    That's because it was set up in a couple of hours when we found out that SRK was going down. Not trying to start an argument, just sayin'.
    SFIV: Sakura (Juri?) | Skullgirls: Fortune/Bella | LB2: Yuki

Get over yourselves.

Staying here because we've always been here is a plenty good reason.

What if Mike Z decides not to post on SH and stays here instead, seeing as how he's been doing it for two years now? Or if he decides to do so on the official forum?

We have info here. We have other tournaments to join here. We have a presence here. If we didn't we wouldn't have gotten our sub forum to begin with. There's no necessity to make another forum yet, and even if there is the official forums are what everyone else who hasn't touched SRK will go to when they're up. The community will split itself if we migrate to SH. That's not hyperbole, it's fact.

Besides which, where's all the other support we could be throwing in? Why a forum? Why am I the only one with a blog for SG? Why is Guitalex the only one doing tutorials? Why hasn't made a SG tumblr yet? The SH forum is a placeholder. It's akin to running to highland during a flood, then going back when it's subsided. If SRK wasn't supposedly going out for a week would we even be bothering with SH? What about Mike's post on the EVO tournament? He has to post that on here, on Dustloop, AND on SH? Then the official forums too? Really?

Ease up.
    That's because it was set up in a couple of hours when we found out that SRK was going down. Not trying to start an argument, just sayin'.

i can understand that, I don't doubt that it would be remedied in the future.

and like i said, i think its a good idea as placeholder until these forums would are back up (if they over go down :/)

I just want to restate one thing, at the risk of sounding like a broken record.

I don't think having our own forum is a bad idea.

I just don't thin we have the numbers right now to pull it off succesfully. I would be more convinced if more people posted more regularly, but the
    fact of the matter is we don't.

any kind of move like this would divide people at any time. no matter where we are at with our community, there would always be a group of people
    who would just want to stay here for whatever reasons they might have (it doesn't really matter what those reasons are, I am just talking facts).

If we had more people, that wouldn't matter.

But we don't. We are a relatively small community, and any kind of divide i think right now is a bad divide. I think once the patch is out on xbox, once the game is out in japan, once we have a more dedicated player base, then there is room for that kind of thing maybe.

Its not about me being against progression, or being conservative. I just really think doing this kind of thing RIGHT NOW would be taking steps backwards and not forwards.
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Skullheart.com is offline.

Sooooo what just happened?

The logic behind "let's not make another forum because that will divide the community" makes sense in a way, but then again how many community-run forums are there out there for other games? MANY, and many have accounts in most of them.

You don't have to post in it if you don't want to. That's what it ultimately boils down to. But it can't stop existing just because you don't want to post there either. If you think that SH.com is going to be ignored by most people because you think they will, then IGNORE it and move on.

It's not like the SRK forum is going anywhere. That is, until SRK decides that SG is no longer relevant.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 421
    Umm, it's not. I've been using it for the last hour or so.
    SFIV: Sakura (Juri?) | Skullgirls: Fortune/Bella | LB2: Yuki

Sooooo what just happened?

The logic behind "let's not make another forum because that will divide the community" makes sense in a way, but then again how many community-run forums are there out there for other games? MANY, and many have accounts in most of them.

You don't have to post in it if you don't want to. That's what it ultimately boils down to. But it can't stop existing just because you don't want to post there either. If you think that SH.com is going to be ignored by most people because you think they will, then IGNORE it and move on.

It's not like the SRK forum is going anywhere. That is, until SRK decides that SG is no longer relevant.

No one said it should stop existing.

We're saying there's no need for its existence to begin with.
  • konkretekonkrete NCV Joined: Posts: 2,376
    Unfair accusation, since SRK hasn't taken away forums for any game that I'm aware of.
    Umm, it's not. I've been using it for the last hour or so.
    Well I can only log on to it from my phone.

Wait no, not even from my phone. All I get is a godaddy.com message saying to buy this domain and whatnot.

OK, phone, Chrome, Opera and IE. Neither are letting me in right now.
  • DudeDude Joined: Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Well I can only log on to it from my phone.

Wait no, not even from my phone. All I get is a godaddy.com message saying to buy this domain and whatnot.

OK, phone, Chrome, Opera and IE. Neither are letting me in right now.

I'll just confirm it's working fine for me. Must be something wrong on your end.
    OK it's working now. I unplugged my router for 30 seconds and voila.
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    Actually presence of Mike is main reason SRK became relevant for SG IMO. Now that the game is out it's not THAT necessary since we have actual game to play with instead of him being pretty much only source of any valuable information.
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
  • KristophKristoph sing my lullaby Joined: Posts: 425
    Skullheart isn't "temporary," and it isn't a reaction to SRK going down. The only thing reactionary about it is how soon it happened.

That being said, if you don't want to support it because "we've always been here on SRK," that's just fine. It's strange, but it's fine!

It's strange because, by the same logic, I shouldn't be supporting Canopy Kingdom because I already have Skullgirls added on Facebook or whatever. I dunno, kinda strange!

It's fine because Skullheart legitimately has infinitely more potential than SRK or Skullgirls.com as far as a community-fostering tool. Obviously it isn't there yet, but if executed correctly it will justify its existence by orders of magnitude. So if ten people stop posting on Skullheart when SRK comes back, that's just fine with me. As far as I'm concerned, it's just more motivation to help make the site as amazing and full-featured as possible. Keep the criticism coming, just be willing to accept the possibility of being proven wrong.
    skullheart.com for skullgirls stuff
  • thecrecarcthecrecarc Joined: Posts: 10
    My two cents is that we stick with SRK. Why?

Because the last thing we need for this game is a separation from the regular/srk fighting game scene. We need this game to grow and develop along with current tournament staples, not be shoveled off into our own tournaments and community.

The entire "split off community" idea was brought forth by Smash comparisons. The key difference is that smash was never all that accepted by the FGC (I do not think it was a good thing, but that's the way it is). Smash's own community and website was founded based on necessity. This caused the foundation of their own tournaments and separate movement from the FGC. Very similar things occurred with various anime fighters.

Yet, Skullgirls has the definite potential to avoid these fates and can be played alongside staples like SF4 and UMVC3. And that is what we should aim for. Integration into a community that is finally beginning to accept the game. Not to abandon it right when things are getting good and momentum is growing.

No matter how good salty cupcakes is, I believe skullgirls would have a far better fate if it was an accepted staple among standard FGC weeklies like next level instead of our own thing. We would get more exposure, get a larger community, greater acceptance, and overall a better fate. I do not want a seperate skullgirls community. I want a fighting game community that includes skullgirls.
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    SG community on SRK: no boyshorts characters for Master Chibi.
    SG community on SH: boyshorts for Chibi on the second day. PROFIT!
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
    That thread was great people were making some nifty sketches
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭
    woot threads are back again!
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
    edited February 2013
    New Srk forums looks like a step back. Hope fixes happen
    Post edited by Number 13 on
    Kristoph said:

Skullheart isn't "temporary," and it isn't a reaction to SRK going down. The only thing reactionary about it is how soon it happened.

That being said, if you don't want to support it because "we've always been here on SRK," that's just fine. It's strange, but it's fine!

It's strange because, by the same logic, I shouldn't be supporting Canopy Kingdom because I already have Skullgirls added on Facebook or whatever. I dunno, kinda strange!

It's fine because Skullheart legitimately has infinitely more potential than SRK or Skullgirls.com as far as a community-fostering tool. Obviously it isn't there yet, but if executed correctly it will justify its existence by orders of magnitude. So if ten people stop posting on Skullheart when SRK comes back, that's just fine with me. As far as I'm concerned, it's just more motivation to help make the site as amazing and full-featured as possible. Keep the criticism coming, just be willing to accept the possibility of being proven wrong.

Well it feels more like we're playing musical chairs at this point. I'm a mod here on SRK for the SG forums, HFA up and left so Ducky and I are the only ones left. I'm not about to just say 'fuck it' and ditch all of that. When the official forums drop I'll be a mod there too. On top of which I'm already volunetereed to do front page for Skullheart.

I'm fine with whatever direction we're going as a community. The only thing is that there's three directions to go and I'd rather not have people play a guessing game. Right now SG gains more exposure and benefits from staying on SRK. Months (or maybe a year) from now Skullheart may do much better. Orrrrrr maybe the official forums will do that too / instead.

*shrugs*
  • Sanger ZonvoltSanger Zonvolt Future Cyberbots Pro Joined: Posts: 1,528
    Looks like I'll be on SkullHeart unless SRK turns back to normal.
    Sword of Sophia and fightan games
    Cyberbots: Super-8 & Helion
    Vampire Savior: Lilith, Jedah, and Demitri
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Filia/Squigly
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Kristoph said:

It's fine because Skullheart legitimately has infinitely more potential than SRK or Skullgirls.com as far as a community-fostering tool. Obviously it isn't there yet, but if executed correctly it will justify its existence by orders of magnitude.

Do you have a post somewhere that explains why you're making such melodramatic statements. Seriously.

Post edited by AsteriskBlue on
    It's nice to meet you, too.
    Yeah good thing Skullheart and Dustloop exist. New SRK is an eye sore and there's no alert for when I'm quoted anymore.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    edited February 2013

Kristoph said:

It's fine because Skullheart legitimately has infinitely more potential than SRK or Skullgirls.com as far as a community-fostering tool. Obviously it isn't there yet, but if executed correctly it will justify its existence by orders of magnitude.

Do you have a post somewhere that explains why you're making such melodramatic statements. Seriously.

There is "melodramatic" crap everywhere in this forum if thats what it takes to be considered melodramatic. Seriously
    Post edited by Number 13 on
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Look I'm not trying to insult any one or express hatred here. I want to know how exactly using just SRK or an Official forum in the future is going to cause trouble for the community. Skull heart is already up, post where ever you like. I'm just still am wondering why people felt(oratleast seemed to feel) that creating a fourth place of discussion (when there is a possible fifth in the works from Lab Zero) was necessary
    Post edited by AsteriskBlue on
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • konkretekonkrete NCV Joined: Posts: 2,376
    People shouldn't freak out about this redesign. Just the first day. They obviously wanted to get back asap after switching all the servers, aesthetics be damned. It's a little silly to think that the admins would look at what this site is atm and say "yep, finished" and walk away.

fwiw the site runs really, really smooth now.
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,747 mod
    konkrete said:

People shouldn't freak out about this redesign. Just the first day. They obviously wanted to get back asap after switching all the servers, aesthetics be damned. It's a little silly to think that the admins would look at what this site is atm and say "yep, finished" and walk away.

fwiw the site runs really, really smooth now.

I agree, and the admins are not done yet. This was just to get the site back up so people wouldn't bitch about it "still being down."

They are DEFINITELY not done yet. :)
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• NephinelNephinel Jill - Mistress of Wyverns Joined: Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, right now the new overhaul looks fucking atrocious and is totally broken.

Skullheart, Dustloop, whatever....I can't post on SRK forums like this
    This battle is about to explode. FIGHT!
    Xbox 360 Gamertag: Nephinel
    My Darkstalkers Resurrection YT Channel
    edited February 2013
    Nephinel said:

Yeah, right now the new overhaul looks fucking atrocious and is totally broken.

Skullheart, Dustloop, whatever....I can't post on SRK forums like this

Sure you can! You're welcome.

Post edited by DaRabidDuckie on
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• JBGoldenJBGolden Joined: Posts: 246
    Well, that's a nice first step! Now, when're they fixing the borked up forum front page?
    JBGolden wrote: »
    Well, that's a nice first step! Now, when're they fixing the borked up forum front page?
    Give them time. They've got a laundry list of stuff that they're working on getting implemented right now.

In the past 20 minutes, they've already added the following:

-- Button to mark spoilers (it's the black ? in the text box)
    -- Some emotes (:p :) ;) >.> ^^; ^_^ and many others I haven't found yet)
    -- Quotes now link back to their original post
    -- Posts that have been edited now say "edited by xx on yy" (this may just be for mods/admins, though)
    -- IGNORE LISTS! XD

And many others are popping up as I write this.

They're working on it, guys! ^_^

• JakeWasHereJakeWasHere FGC N3wb Joined: Posts: 296
    I believe they've also fixed Youtube links -- most of them were broken the first day, but some of them are working again now.
    Spoiler:
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • Possibly DohnutPossibly Dohnut Joined: Posts: 68
    I finally got around to checking the SkullHeart forum, spiffy. SRK doesn't seem to be acting a donkey now, but I'll probably post on both of 'em.
    XBL: Dohnut Man Trav
  • Sanger ZonvoltSanger Zonvolt Future Cyberbots Pro Joined: Posts: 1,528
    The new theme is pretty boss.
    Sword of Sophia and fightan games
    Cyberbots: Super-8 & Helion
    Vampire Savior: Lilith, Jedah, and Demitri
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Filia/Squigly
  • NephinelNephinel Jill - Mistress of Wyverns Joined: Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Skullheart will be my new home for Skullgirls discussion :)
    This battle is about to explode. FIGHT!
    Xbox 360 Gamertag: Nephinel
    My Darkstalkers Resurrection YT Channel
124»